What to do with all these passwords ?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
sixtyforty

What to do with all these passwords ?

Post by sixtyforty » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:36 am

How are you managing all your passwords ? Are you using 1Password ? Something else ? I was thinking of creating a spreadsheet on OneDrive to contain all my passwords, but not sure how secure that is. Ideas ?
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci

parsi1

Re: What to do with all these passwords ?

Post by parsi1 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:38 am

I have the same question, also all those security questions.

Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:40 am

I use LastPass, and also export a CSV from LastPass that I keep on an encrypted VeraCrypt container on OneDrive just in case something ever goes wrong with LastPass.

My wife has been using Dashlane for a couple of years, but now is considering switching to LastPass too, at which point we'd take advantage of their family sharing feature. Dashlane didn't open several sites as smoothly as LastPass does.
Last edited by Ice-9 on Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

i<3Investing

Post by i<3Investing » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:41 am

I use Keepass 2 and store the encrypted password database on google drive. There are android and apple apps to open the keepass from my phone if need be (and a cpu version).

It works well for me.

parsi1

Post by parsi1 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:43 am

do they also store all the security questions?

Bmac

Post by Bmac » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:45 am

About 2 months ago I finally got 1Password; added all the many, many websites that require logins; and used the password generator to change and increase the security of all the passwords for these sites. I could not be happier. The app is terrific. The app is on my iMac and iPhone and it allows me to easily access any of my websites without any problem or the need to remember multiple passwords. I have also added credit card, passport, Nexus and other important numbers to 1Password. The initial process of getting all the various sites onto the app and changing the passwords was a bit painful, but totally worth it. I highly recommend this app for password management and protection.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:45 am

I would recommend 1Password or LastPass.
Personally, I use Keepass + Google Drive + CKP Chrome extension to auto-fill usernames & passwords.
It's probably too techie for most casual users, though which is why I would recommend those other solutions.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:45 am

I have used KeePass for years.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:46 am

parsi1 wrote:do they also store all the security questions?
When you look up a password in LastPass, there's a section below where you can enter any notes. I often put security question info there.

financeidiot

Post by financeidiot » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:48 am

+1 for LastPass, same strategy as Ice-9 for security questions.

danaht

Post by danaht » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:48 am

I use Password Safe to manage all my passwords. https://pwsafe.org/ It's open source, and free to use on Windows and Android. I think there is also a IPhone version. It can retrieve and store all your passwords from a secure encrypted file in dropbox (or other cloud file service). It also generates very complex passwords using the rules you define. The Android version is very friendly to use - it let's you open up your password "safe" using the Android finger print sensor.

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:52 am

I have been using 1Password and very happy. It does not store anything on their server or cloud (if you want it that way). It keeps all my passwords safe. Due to its autofill functionality, my passwords have gotten significantly stronger as I don't have to remember passwords any longer. Autofill works with multiple browsers including Safari, Chrome and Firefox. If you are like me that uses multiple browsers, all passwords are kept only in 1Password. Makes it very easy for me.

np81

Post by np81 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:54 am

Use KeePass Password Safe (v2.x) and call it a day.

Bob B

Post by Bob B » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:01 pm

Long time KeePass user. It has a section where you can enter text like security question, etc. for each entry. Easy to set up and use.
Regards, | Bob | Wiki

DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:06 pm

I'm using Dashlane. I use the premium subscription to link across devices. It works well for me on Windows and Android platforms.

ZeroWealth

Post by ZeroWealth » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:09 pm

I'm a big fan of 1Password and have the family plan which is $4.99/mo for 5 people, which gives myself and my wife a nice shared account.
"I seldom end up where I wanted to go, but almost always end up where I need to be." - Douglas Adams

np81

Post by np81 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:09 pm

To expand on KeePass, you can install the MiniKeePass app (free) on your mobile devices and sync your KeePass DB file with them.

bostondan

Post by bostondan » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:11 pm

+1 for 1Password.

I sync it with Dropbox. I have never had any problems. It works perfectly on my Macbook Pro and my iPhone. I purchased it years ago and do not use the new subscription service. I use a different password for every account, generated by and stored in 1Password.

If someone ever got access to 1Password it would be a problem for me obviously. However, on my laptop that would involve knowing my laptop password and then knowing my 1Password password. On my iPhone they would need to get my pin in under 10 tries (to avoid erasing the phone) and then know my 1Password password. Or they could cut off my thumb and access everything that way (does the fingerprint sensor stop working if the thumb is cut off?? probably). It is unlikely enough that someone would get access that I am comfortable with it.
“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” - Elie Wiesel

Post by 2015 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:12 pm

np81 wrote:Use KeePass Password Safe (v2.x) and call it a day.
+1
Last year I delved deep into the world of personal data security and emergency disaster planning. Therefore: laptop contains no data at all times as virtually all files are scanned or otherwise digitized. Keepass database along with all other digital data is stored on an encrypted external hard drive and two identical encrypted thumb drives at home. Additionally, identical copies of everything are kept on two unencrypted thumb drives and one unencrypted DVD in offsite safe deposit box (as are originals of all important documents). I could have a fire or any other disaster, grab just ten items, and start my life over from anywhere with minimal disruption.

As a rule, I store absolutely positively zero nada nothing in the cloud. I would never ever ever put my passwords or any other important documents there. YMMV.
Last edited by 2015 on Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

hille141

Post by hille141 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:13 pm

Ice-9 wrote:
parsi1 wrote:do they also store all the security questions?
When you look up a password in LastPass, there's a section below where you can enter any notes. I often put security question info there.
I use the exact same setup.

zuma

Post by zuma » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:13 pm

KeePassX. It's free and it does the job. https://www.keepassx.org/

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:14 pm

I use the same password everywhere. Security breach and I'm screwed.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

emp2b3

Post by emp2b3 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:31 pm

I used KeePass2 for years but recently switched to LastPass and am a big fan. It is great for family sharing and is more user friendly than with KeePass in my opinion. Using something at all with a robust password generator is probably the most important step.
Two good articles from thewirecutter.com that helps talk about the differences between each approach:
http://thewirecutter.com/blog/password- ... uding-you/ and http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-p ... -managers/

oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:50 pm

I have a word processor document listing all my online accounts, usernames, and passwords. The document itself is passworded and is stored on a USB stick. The document is maintained using my home Linux system running LibreOffice. I also maintain a printed copy. Both the USB stick and the printed copy are in the safe. (Granted that this is inconvenient for day-to-day use, it is not intended for frequent reference; it's for DW and/or estate executor Just-In-Case. I only need one or two passwords memorized for day-to-day transactions: B&M bank website where I do billpay, as well as credit card site where most expenses land.)
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:57 pm

How do all these password protection programs (and their random password generators) deal with the various rules. I have some sites that require special characters, some that don't, some that require a password between 8 and 13 characters long others with a minimum but no maximum, some that are cap sensitive, others that aren't? If sites could just standardize password requirements, I think I could remember more of them but when one site to the next has different requirements, it sometimes takes me several tries to remember what the rules for that particular site was.

np81

Post by np81 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:02 pm

Word, Acrobat, etc. password-protected documents are incredibly easy to crack, even with freeware tools available all over the Internet. I would highly recommend doing away with that practice and using an actual password manager. If you didn't want to recreate every entry, you can easily add a document containing your passwords to KeePass, which will keep it secure. Even viewing the document later is secure, as KP extracts the contents to an encrypted temporary file while viewed, which is securely deleted once finished.

My dad used to use a password-protected Word document until I cracked it in under 30 seconds in front of him.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:08 pm

lthenderson wrote:How do all these password protection programs (and their random password generators) deal with the various rules. I have some sites that require special characters, some that don't, some that require a password between 8 and 13 characters long others with a minimum but no maximum, some that are cap sensitive, others that aren't? If sites could just standardize password requirements, I think I could remember more of them but when one site to the next has different requirements, it sometimes takes me several tries to remember what the rules for that particular site was.
That is the beauty of password managers. Keepass' password generator allows you to select not only the length of the password but what types of characters are included/excluded as well. All you have to remember is your master password to open the Keepass database.

apex84

Post by apex84 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:12 pm

I use 1Password. Bought it to help keep track of passwords but now use it to have unique randomly generated passwords for every website. Easy to use across multiple device for multiple users.

Starting From Scratch

Post by Starting From Scratch » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:17 pm

LastPass or KeePass. Both are great.

Bogel0048

Post by Bogel0048 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:43 pm

If you have Mac computers 1Password is the way to go. I use the licensed version and I have it set up to keep everything on my own computers, out of the cloud. Each password item has a notes area for the answers to security questions or any other info you want to enter.

If you are "of and age" where wills, portfolio spreadsheets, and other documents for your heirs are important to you, you can also keep copies of all these documents in 1Password's Secure Notes section, so when you die all you have to do is make sure your key heir/executor gets a copy of your master password (and access to your computer). If you use 1Password's cloud version your key heir/executor only needs your master password, then they can download 1Password from anywhere and log into your account.

You can also put color scans of your credit cards, health insurance cards, drivers license, and main passport pages right into the Secure Notes section to take with you on your laptop for vacations in case these items are lost or stolen while you are traveling (or you can print the scans to an encrypted PDF and take them with you on a thumb drive).

1Password also works on Windows, but the interface (GUI) is not as good as the Mac version. If you are a PC user LastPass may be better, but it is mostly a cloud-only setup, which is not a problem for cloud lovers/trusters.

TomP10

Post by TomP10 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:46 pm

Another vote for LastPass. Works great.
"It is remarkable how much long term advantage people like us have gotten by trying to be consistently not stupid, instead of trying to be very intelligent." -- Charlie Munger

Bmac

Post by Bmac » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:48 pm

Doom&Gloom wrote:
lthenderson wrote:How do all these password protection programs (and their random password generators) deal with the various rules. I have some sites that require special characters, some that don't, some that require a password between 8 and 13 characters long others with a minimum but no maximum, some that are cap sensitive, others that aren't? If sites could just standardize password requirements, I think I could remember more of them but when one site to the next has different requirements, it sometimes takes me several tries to remember what the rules for that particular site was.
That is the beauty of password managers. Keepass' password generator allows you to select not only the length of the password but what types of characters are included/excluded as well. All you have to remember is your master password to open the Keepass database.

+1 Same with 1Password. It is really nice to be able to automatically generate as long and complicated a password as allowed for any particular website.

Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:21 pm

Try playing with LastPass' online password generator and you'll see what the experience is like. Sites usually list their password requirements on the same screen on which they prompt you to come up with a new password.
https://lastpass.com/generatepassword.php

JeepDaze

Post by JeepDaze » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:24 pm

sixtyforty wrote:How are you managing all your passwords ? Are you using 1Password ? Something else ? I was thinking of creating a spreadsheet on OneDrive to contain all my passwords, but not sure how secure that is. Ideas ?
I use KeePass

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:52 pm

Ice-9 wrote:
Try playing with LastPass' online password generator and you'll see what the experience is like. Sites usually list their password requirements on the same screen on which they prompt you to come up with a new password.
https://lastpass.com/generatepassword.php
I finally bit the bullet and have spent the last hour installing Last Pass. So far so good and I'm happy to have some better passwords. My only complaint is that every account that I changed that I monitor on Quicken, I had to go in and manually copy and paste the passwords since there is no way I can remember them anymore. I guess since I'm not changing passwords everyday, it isn't that big of a deal but I still have to remember to do so.

randomizer

Post by randomizer » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:57 pm

Have used both 1Password and LastPass quite happily. 1Password has a much nicer UI.
87.5:12.5, EM tilt — HODL the course!

AllenSmith

Post by AllenSmith » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:58 pm

I use Dashlane (another lastpass competitor). I like it.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:13 pm

pennstater2005 wrote:I use the same password everywhere. Security breach and I'm screwed.
Same here, but only for non-secure items. I use different passwords for emails and financial accounts. I'm overdue for getting onboard with one of the password managers, but my experience with keypass was a bit disconcerting. I forgot my master password. :oops:

g$$

Post by g$$ » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:30 pm

I use Keepass and I love it.

Chuck

Post by Chuck » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:41 pm

Security questions:

Make sure your security answers are secure, i.e. not your real dog's name, or they can be used against you by anyone that has seen you walk your dog.

BoA thinks my dog is named HYZAQSS7, but Vanguard thinks it's 29AJMGB4. (Both of those are not really true.) I use Keepass to generate those too. (To make it easy, I say just letters and numbers, with "avoid look-alike characters" like l, 1, 0, O, which is helpful when you're doing it over the phone.)

And yes, when I told Capital One that the street I grew up on is 3QLBZ6LR, there was a bit of an "ooooo-kaaaay..." and then "what can I do for you?"

Toons

Post by Toons » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:08 pm

Last Pass Premium
For years now :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

roymeo

Post by roymeo » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:15 pm

LastPass Premium, and we just got LastPass Enterprise at work. And they integrate together so I can access either at work.

And I remember that moment after about 3 months of using LastPass where I realized I didn't care any more about what my passwords were...started making 26+ character random string passwords.
The sewer system is a form of welfare state. | -- "Libra", Don DeLillo

slapfish

Post by slapfish » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:25 pm

I'm also a LastPass user. The mobile app is a little inconsistent in how it identifies password fields within certain apps, but otherwise it's fantastic. I recently set up two-factor authentication with Google Authenticator, which I think is a must-have for such an important app, and it has great audit functionality that highlights weak or over-used passwords, or passwords that are part of known breaches. As one example, I happened to run the audit program just now, and it showed me that my Fitbit password was insecure due to the recent Cloudflare breach. I'm not sure what a hacker would do with my Fitbit data besides shame me into exercising more, but it's good to know there's monitoring out there...especially since Fitbit wasn't exactly proactive in letting me know there was an issue.

Deadwood

Post by Deadwood » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:28 pm

Another satisfied user of LastPass.
"Oh, wonderful. Try something new each day. After all, we're given life to find it out. It doesn't last forever." | | - Dame Marjorie "Maude" Chardin

jdb

Post by jdb » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:29 pm

OK, I fess up as the last Luddite. Use pen and paper to list all accounts and passwords and hide in metal file cabinet in home office, wife knows location. Until last year only used 3 passwords and considered it good mental exercise to remember which accounts each belonged. But darn accounts started requiring more complex passwords. But hey, it has no fee attached and no concerns about anyone hacking the password site. Though if ever fire at house and had to retrieve things it is probably first thing would grab.

Chuck

Post by Chuck » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:32 pm

My Keepass has 239 passwords. Not all are bank-grade, some are just forums I visit once every 2 years, but it's nice to not have to remember anything.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:00 pm

Chuck wrote:My Keepass has 239 passwords. Not all are bank-grade, some are just forums I visit once every 2 years, but it's nice to not have to remember anything.
I have 174 in one database and three (my investment accounts) in another database.

The database with 174 passwords includes the passwords to my MIL's accounts which DW manages as well as DW's passwords.

DW does not use a password manager and tries to remember all of hers which are quite similar. She will not listen to my advice, so the most expedient thing at this time is for me to keep her "backups" for when she inevitably forgets one of her passwords. The other inevitable event is that she will have an account (and probably more than one) hacked :oops: At least MIL's accounts (mostly financial) do have Keepass generated passwords of acceptable strength.

mrc

Post by mrc » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:02 pm

I use 1Password. VERY convenient. The spreadsheet doesn't come close.

There is now no need for URL manager since the URLs are in each login's entry.

I set auto fill but not auto submit to have a look before submitting your credentials.

I make up a random answer for the security questions, e.g., street you grew up on isn't Main, it's 12mNAS4nuZdSIkvaroD4LksYt.

There are fields on the login (and credit card, and other types) to add extra notes.
Macs are for those who don’t want to know why their computer works | Linux is for those who do | DOS is for those who want to know why their computer doesn’t work | Windows is for those who don’t

mclvngr

Post by mclvngr » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:58 pm

+1 for 1Password and LastPass. Both are user friendly (1Password a little more so) and both have received rave reviews from security experts.

countdrak

Post by countdrak » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:00 pm

+1 for 1Password. Love the integration with IOS/Mac. The passwords are NOT stored in the cloud which make them safer. Wifi Sync works great, the cost is minimal.