New or CPO sedan or cross-over for family of four

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Leemiller

New or CPO sedan or cross-over for family of four

Post by Leemiller » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:38 am

New year, new baby. Our current car is a late 90s Honda Accord and its time for a second car. We aren't really sure what we want to spend, maybe 35-45? Not sure if that is a good budget or not. Since neither or us has purchased a new, or even an expensive used car before, we're a bit clueless. I suppose we can go higher in price as well since we plan to keep this car for a long time.

What I'd really like is something on the smaller side so its easier for me to drive and something with the latest in safety features - like the fancy device that tells you if you are in your lane or not and can help you park. We will use this car as a daily commuter to downtown from the suburbs, more stop and go then highway miles. I like the styling of the Alfa Romeos and would be interested in looking other import cars like BMW and Mercedes. We could also just get a second Accord.

Thanks for any input, I've been reading car reviews and it is a bit overwhelming for a complete novice.

livesoft

Re: New or CPO sedan or cross-over for family of four

Post by livesoft » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:42 am

You should be able to purchase a CPO Lexus RX series for under $30K including taxes.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

NoVa Lurker

Post by NoVa Lurker » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:50 am

If this is a daily commuter, I would definitely stick with a sedan. Sounds like you're early in the process, so just go to dealerships and test drive a few different cars, which will help start to narrow it down.

My own preference for the commuter car is just something that is as reliable as possible. I drive a 2005 Prius, bought used in 2010, that has only had oil changes since I got it. The German cars are not a luxury to me, since I drive in slow traffic, not the open road. But others feel differently.

bligh

Post by bligh » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:53 am

Over the years I have bought a number of vehicles that were pre-owned. I have had no issues with them. For me the sweet spot in has been around 3 years old. The cars are still quite new and have most of their life ahead of them, and the price drop by the third year is significant. The exception to this are certain Hondas/Toyotas where, due to their reputation for reliability, they just don't depreciate enough to be worth getting used. There is a major advantage to getting luxury cars used because they depreciate quickly in the first three years.

It doesn't sound like you are passionate about cars and just want a good solid reliable safe and economical transport. I would stay with the accord or civic if you want something small and nimble.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:57 am

Leemiller wrote:New year, new baby. Our current car is a late 90s Honda Accord and its time for a second car. We aren't really sure what we want to spend, maybe 35-45? Not sure if that is a good budget or not. Since neither or us has purchased a new, or even an expensive used car before, we're a bit clueless. I suppose we can go higher in price as well since we plan to keep this car for a long time.

What I'd really like is something on the smaller side so its easier for me to drive and something with the latest in safety features - like the fancy device that tells you if you are in your lane or not and can help you park. We will use this car as a daily commuter to downtown from the suburbs, more stop and go then highway miles. I like the styling of the Alfa Romeos and would be interested in looking other import cars like BMW and Mercedes. We could also just get a second Accord.

Thanks for any input, I've been reading car reviews and it is a bit overwhelming for a complete novice.

If you like something on the "smaller" side, have you considered a Volvo XC60?

We needed to get back to two cars, to add to our older (2004) XC90.
The new XC90's are much more expensive AND "bigger" than the older models, and it just barely fit in our garage.

While we were considering (especially given we'd have a multi-month wait for an XC90), we happened to come across a less-than-one-year, ~10k miles CPO XC60, sold, serviced, and traded to the same dealer we've worked with for decades.

REALLY comfy seats!
(We aren't so happy with the 2004 XC90 seats, suddenly...)

It happened to be a Turbo, and wow... in "Sport" mode, it really makes merging on to the highway much easier (and a bit of fun).

There will be (or is?) a newer model version out, so that should help with pricing on the older model.
And if you plan to keep it for a long time, that won't matter much later.

If you don't need something immediately, you might consider waiting for something relatively new, with better safety features, regardless of what you get.

This was our first ever "not new" car, and we were nervous/skeptical/etc.
Hence, the CPO.
And the warranty outlasted what the original owner had.

We also added on other additional warranty (due to our unease, first time doing that), and we still saved a fortune.

We'll probably keep leap-frogging another CPO "newish" car, whenever safety features seem appropriate (or, in the case of the 2004, if it hiccups too, too much again).

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:01 pm

I'd stick with Honda/Toyota. Used if you want to save a little. There will be an all new Accord and Camry later this year which also means better deals on the current model.

tcassette

Post by tcassette » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:28 pm

Leemiller wrote:New year, new baby. Our current car is a late 90s Honda Accord and its time for a second car. We aren't really sure what we want to spend, maybe 35-45? Not sure if that is a good budget or not. Since neither or us has purchased a new, or even an expensive used car before, we're a bit clueless. I suppose we can go higher in price as well since we plan to keep this car for a long time.

Do you live in an area where all-wheel drive is helpful, i.e., snow? Are you OK with the effort of putting childs seats in a sedan, or would a higher crossover be better? Do you know that European imports have higher maintenance costs and lower reliability, especially Italian cars? How much do you care about fuel costs? Would a hybrid or full electric, which gets much better fuel economy in city driving, be acceptable?

Dilbydog

Post by Dilbydog » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:07 pm

CPO a BMW X3....

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:41 pm

> We aren't really sure what we want to spend, maybe 35-45?

Seems to me the lower end of that price range gets you a very well-equipped new Camry, Accord, Rav4 or CRV.

Leemiller

Post by Leemiller » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:04 pm

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm still a little confused on how to compare safety features. Is Car and Driver a good review source?

We live in the D.C. area, so some snow. I'd prefer as small a car as possible, my husband wants to go bigger. I don't think we are very focused on fuel costs. My friends with imports seem happy, I understand that they may be more expensive for repair/ maintenance.

Leemiller

Post by Leemiller » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:06 pm

adamthesmythe wrote:> We aren't really sure what we want to spend, maybe 35-45?

Seems to me the lower end of that price range gets you a very well-equipped new Camry, Accord, Rav4 or CRV.

I didn't think a Camry would be so much. Why wouldn't I buy an entry level new or CPO BMW or Mercedes for about that price then?

I won't buy a Toyota ever again after I had a safety issue with one years ago that could have killed me.

tcassette

Post by tcassette » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:39 pm

Leemiller wrote:Thanks for the recommendations. I'm still a little confused on how to compare safety features. Is Car and Driver a good review source?

We live in the D.C. area, so some snow. I'd prefer as small a car as possible, my husband wants to go bigger. I don't think we are very focused on fuel costs. My friends with imports seem happy, I understand that they may be more expensive for repair/ maintenance.

Usually Consumer Reports has the most information on safety features. Car & Driver focuses on performance and driving feel. Some car brands have a reputation for better safety features, such as Subaru or Volvo. You may just have to compare features by going to each brand's web site.

If you will never buy a Toyota product, then Lexus is also out. I'm on my second Outback, so I am biased, but either a Subaru Outback or Subaru Forester seems like a good choice of crossover, or a Subaru Legacy or Impreza for a sedan. Advantages include all-wheel drive, great safety features available, average to above average reliability depending on model, and reasonable fuel economy. All Subarus are available for less than $40K. Last time I was researching online prices for Subaru, Fitzgerald Subaru in Rockville, MD seemed to have good prices.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:50 pm

Leemiller wrote:
adamthesmythe wrote:> We aren't really sure what we want to spend, maybe 35-45?

I didn't think a Camry would be so much. Why wouldn't I buy an entry level new or CPO BMW or Mercedes for about that price then?

I won't buy a Toyota ever again after I had a safety issue with one years ago that could have killed me.

A 35k CPO is more expensive than a 35k new car given that you will get years less of usage out of it.

BMW/Audis/MB tend to have higher operating costs (premium gas, more expensive tires, basic maintence cost more,...) and some what questionable reliability (no they don't all blow up every week but statistically you will have more repairs and the repairs tend to cost more).