2017 Honda Civic not recommended by Consumer reports

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
physiorol

2017 Honda Civic not recommended by Consumer reports

Post by physiorol » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:51 pm

Hello

Looking at getting my wife a new car. One option we like is the civic hatchback but consumer Reports rates its predicted reliability at "much worse" and does not give it the "Recommended" label.

This goes against my expectation of civics being vehicle that will go for 200000 miles. Do the consumer reports ratings have validity? Should I move on to something else?

bloom2708

Re: 2017 Honda Civic not recommended by Consumer reports

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:55 pm

Perhaps because it is a first gen/new platform car?

I don't know how they judge the future reliability on a new car with no history. Big data, statistics, Ouija board or all of the above.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

anoop

Post by anoop » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:56 pm

I don't know how accurate they are, but now they rate Audi & BMW higher than Honda for reliability!
http://www.consumerreports.org/car-reli ... -stack-up/

If you care about those ratings, maybe better to get a Toyota.

keystone

Post by keystone » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:00 pm

I suspect it's related to issues with the redesign, but I've seen a pattern where Toyota or Hondas may appear to get dinged on reliability in the first year, but then five years later I look back at the long term reliability for that same year and its excellent.

If it were me I'd probably wait another year just in case.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:05 pm

physiorol wrote:Hello

Looking at getting my wife a new car. One option we like is the civic hatchback but consumer Reports rates its predicted reliability at "much worse" and does not give it the "Recommended" label.

This goes against my expectation of civics being vehicle that will go for 200000 miles. Do the consumer reports ratings have validity? Should I move on to something else?

Consumer reports also regularly gives the 4runner bad ratings in the SUV category because its not as car like as the rest of today's "SUVs".

Toons

Post by Toons » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:34 pm

Edumunds
4 1/2 Stars.
Buy One :happy

"Excellent fuel economy and performance from turbo 1.5-liter engine
Ride quality expertly balances comfort and athleticism
Many available advanced technology and safety features
Roomy cabin with high-quality materials"

https://www.edmunds.com/honda/civic/2017/review/

:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:15 pm

Just get one.

The luxury cars seem to be hit hardest by the "1st year" syndrome, there are more features and hence more things to break. Japanese economy cars use relatively old technology.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:34 pm

My spouse bought a car years ago that was having a new model year. Consumer Reports panned that vehicle. But the next year, the same vehicle and model year was ranked highly since they now had some user feedback. In fact, both Consumer Reports ratings were wrong. The vehicle should have been rated much much worse than the initial rating.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

6miths

Post by 6miths » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:43 pm

It's interesting that when you go to the actual reliability breakdown the redesigned 2016 Civic gets the highest rating in almost every category except being flagged for audio system and average for its 'power equipment' and yet still gets a poor rating which is what the 2017 rating is largely based on. Personally, I'd buy the Honda!
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

sls239

Post by sls239 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:51 pm

In my experience, even when a Honda has issues, they stand behind their product often extending warranties, issuing technical bulletins and the like.

physiorol

Post by physiorol » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:31 pm

keystone wrote:I suspect it's related to issues with the redesign, but I've seen a pattern where Toyota or Hondas may appear to get dinged on reliability in the first year, but then five years later I look back at the long term reliability for that same year and its excellent.

The CR video road test alluded to the 9th gen (2011-2015) being a bit of a disappointment so perhaps they were gun-shy on recommending the 10th generation (2016+)

I checked the toyota corrolla IM (hatchback) and did not like the seating comfort so it is off the table. Other options include the Kia Soul (CR recommend) and a pre-owned Mazda5. The hatchback is new for Civic (2017) so it may be much harder to find one pre-owned.

yukonjack

Post by yukonjack » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:23 pm

If you like the car I would buy it. I found CR's April car issue to be very confusing and filled with conflicting information. The 2016 Civic scored high in every category except power equipment yet the overall score is the lowest possible. How can that be? The redesign took place on the 2016 model. If you go back a year or so ago when the 2016 first came out CR loved it and highly recommended it. If you look at the rating of the 2012 Civic by CR it received high marks in every single category yet it wasn't recommended. How does a Subaru Outback go from being a CR darling to an overall worse rating in two years? IMO CR has lost a bit of clout when it comes to auto reviews.

xPat

Post by xPat » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:19 pm

They've also lost a lot of clout because of stunts with Apple product reviews too. They claimed to find fatal flaws with one of the iPhones a few years ago and the most recent MacBook Pros -- generating a lot of click-bait publicity for CR -- and then quietly correct their reviews and recommend them again.

rbaldini

Post by rbaldini » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:29 pm

How well can you judge the reliability of a brand new car? Maybe this sort of thing is relevant if you buy a new car every year, but I wouldn't pay it much attention.

For long term reliability, there's a better source of data:
http://www.dashboard-light.com/reports/Compact.html

Historically, Civics have been above average.

AussieDad

Post by AussieDad » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:52 pm

I wonder if this has anything to do with their rating. Then again, it appears this was an isolated problem.

http://jalopnik.com/that-was-fast-2016-honda-civic-hit-with-recall-and-sto-1756699375

pechy2925

Post by pechy2925 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:57 pm

I'm not sure how credible consumer reports is...I bought a 14' Honda Civic over 3 years ago and recently crossed 70k miles. Have not encountered any issues with the vehicle so far. Only oil changes, new tires, filter replacements...normal wear and tear. If I recall correctly they (CR) slaughtered that years model in their review - I love the car and can only image the new one is that much better.

KT785

Post by KT785 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:44 am

Perhaps the new Subaru Impreza instead? The Impreza also comes in a hatchback. :D

I previously owned a 2012 Civic (purchased new) and agree with Consumer Reports' negative reviews of it. I traded it in about a year later (very unBoglehead of me) because the build quality was so poor and the dealership experience was similarly dismal (certainly varies from place to place though).

I also test drove a new Civic a few months ago and, while they appear better built than the 2012 I had, Honda left a pretty bad taste in my mouth.

texaspapas

Post by texaspapas » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:09 am

They also rated the 2017 Tacoma very poorly mostly because, well, it drives like a truck. And they supported that rating with reliability conclusions for the Tacoma that seemed illogical based on their own reported findings, with no satisfactory explanation as to why.

And btw, if anyone wants good alternative reliability data than CR, try TrueDelta.com. No affiliation, but I am a user there for my vehicles, and I feel their reliability stats are likely more accurate.

Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:44 am

Just bought the 2017 Civic EX (4 door). Just traded in my 2007 Civic EX.
I almost bought the 2016 ( would of made my insurance payments $120 cheaper a year). Decided on the 2017 because they gave a great deal on the 2017 and the 2016 which was redesigned had a couple of issues, which I am hoping were resolved with the 2017 models.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."

verbose

Post by verbose » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:41 am

sls239 wrote:In my experience, even when a Honda has issues, they stand behind their product often extending warranties, issuing technical bulletins and the like.

They do. My 2008 Civic has had two issues that were not expected maintenance items: the sun visor split and the engine block leaked coolant. Honda fixed both for free, even the engine block which occurred at 98k miles. In another car, a leaking engine block would have been an end-of-life event, as the car wasn't worth enough to pay for a new engine block. But Honda had a TSB for it and replaced it free.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:45 am

physiorol wrote:Hello

Why buy a new car at all? Go someplace like Carmax and buy a good late-model used one. Let someone else take the depreciation hit.
Anybody know why there's a 20-pound frozen turkey up in the light grid?

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:53 am

CR really isn't much of an authority anymore. It just one source of information and is of limited value.

I've bought some of their top rated products only to find out that many of them had catastrophic failures after one year. CR didn't account for that.

I'm sure it suffers from similar but perhaps not the exact same limitations in their car evaluations.

JT

keystone

Post by keystone » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:09 am

pechy2925 wrote:I'm not sure how credible consumer reports is...I bought a 14' Honda Civic over 3 years ago and recently crossed 70k miles. Have not encountered any issues with the vehicle so far. Only oil changes, new tires, filter replacements...normal wear and tear. If I recall correctly they (CR) slaughtered that years model in their review - I love the car and can only image the new one is that much better.

I just looked at the long term reliability for 2014 and it is excellent along with 2011, 12, 13 and 15. It looks like '16 is where the problems started, coinciding with the redesign. You are right, they weren't big fans of 2014 generation, but it was more from a road test standpoint than reliability.

MI_bogle

Post by MI_bogle » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:00 am

texaspapas wrote:They also rated the 2017 Tacoma very poorly mostly because, well, it drives like a truck. And they supported that rating with reliability conclusions for the Tacoma that seemed illogical based on their own reported findings, with no satisfactory explanation as to why.

And btw, if anyone wants good alternative reliability data than CR, try TrueDelta.com. No affiliation, but I am a user there for my vehicles, and I feel their reliability stats are likely more accurate.

I have an issue with car ratings because this often seems to be the case - car guys are doing the ratings, and often bump the ratings for stuff like accessories, aesthetics, and ride quality. Whereas I am looking mostly for reliability.

I don't care that my Tacoma doesn't have as nice a ride. It's a freaking truck. And it (has and will) last forever. With very little maintenance.

I don't care that my previous Honda and Toyota sedans don't drive as sporty as other cars. I'm not buying them for sport, I'm buying them to get from A to B for low cost

physiorol

Post by physiorol » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:32 am

bottlecap wrote:CR really isn't much of an authority anymore. It just one source of information and is of limited value.

I wonder if they suffer from meteorologist's syndrome. Don't want to mis a big flaw, and eat crow later, so they over emphasize potential negatives.

littleken

Post by littleken » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:01 pm

KBB expert rate the 2017 Honda Civic as the top rated Sedans of 2017.

https://www.kbb.com/top-expert-rated-cars/sedan/2017/1/

grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:25 pm

pechy2925 wrote:I'm not sure how credible consumer reports is...I bought a 14' Honda Civic over 3 years ago and recently crossed 70k miles. Have not encountered any issues with the vehicle so far. Only oil changes, new tires, filter replacements...normal wear and tear. If I recall correctly they (CR) slaughtered that years model in their review - I love the car and can only image the new one is that much better.

You miss the point here. Every car model has some good cars, and some lemons. CR averages a large number of ratings to determine how reliable a car is. And unlike with investments, past performance is a good indication of future results; if a model has been reliable since its last redesign (as the 2014 Civic was), it is likely to remain reliable.

The 2017 recommendation is based on the 2016 Civic, which was a redesigned model, needing a lot of repairs. This makes a 2017 Civic a high-risk purchase even though it tested well. I don't like taking unnecessary risks, so I am probably not going to replace my 2007 Civic (which, like yours, has been very reliable) with a 2017 Civic.

But it is important with CR, or any other rating, not to treat the numbers as your goal. If you rarely have passengers in your rear seat, you don't care how comfortable the rear seat is. If you do most of your driving in the city, you care more about gas mileage in the city than on the highway. If you buy a car with a manual transmission, you don't care how well the automatic transmission shifts or whether it needs too many repairs.
David Grabiner

grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:26 pm

physiorol wrote:
keystone wrote:I suspect it's related to issues with the redesign, but I've seen a pattern where Toyota or Hondas may appear to get dinged on reliability in the first year, but then five years later I look back at the long term reliability for that same year and its excellent.

The CR video road test alluded to the 9th gen (2011-2015) being a bit of a disappointment so perhaps they were gun-shy on recommending the 10th generation (2016+)

This has nothing to do with it. CR did recommend the car in 2016, when its reliability was unknown but new Honda models had a record of good reliability. But when the 2016 model proved unreliable, CR did not recommend it in 2017.
David Grabiner

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:30 pm

grabiner wrote:This makes a 2017 Civic a high-risk purchase even though it tested well. I don't like taking unnecessary risks, so I am probably not going to replace my 2007 Civic (which, like yours, has been very reliable) with a 2017 Civic.

I have a 1997 Civic. I am not in a rush to replace it, but if I were, it would be very disappointing not to get a new Civic. What new cars are you considering, David? Toyotas?

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:10 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
grabiner wrote:This makes a 2017 Civic a high-risk purchase even though it tested well. I don't like taking unnecessary risks, so I am probably not going to replace my 2007 Civic (which, like yours, has been very reliable) with a 2017 Civic.

I have a 1997 Civic. I am not in a rush to replace it, but if I were, it would be very disappointing not to get a new Civic. What new cars are you considering, David? Toyotas?

I'm still looking; I need to test-drive several different models. (When I bought my Civic, I was also considering a Corolla, but I discovered I couldn't get a good driving position in a 2007 Corolla. It may have been a good car, but it wasn't the right car for me.)
David Grabiner

blastoff

Post by blastoff » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:39 am

I would not worry.

Mazda3 hatch is nice.

Palatineman

Post by Palatineman » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:27 am

I have leased a 2016 Honda Civic Touring and just finished my 1 year anniversary. No issues so far. It is the best value for safety features and new technology IMHO. This is coming from someone who has leased BMW's and Lexus models in the past.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:53 am

yukonjack wrote:If you look at the rating of the 2012 Civic by CR it received high marks in every single category yet it wasn't recommended. How does a Subaru Outback go from being a CR darling to an overall worse rating in two years? IMO CR has lost a bit of clout when it comes to auto reviews.

The 2012 Civic is widely regarded as a pile of junk by everyone, including Honda. It was so terrible that they released their mid-cycle refresh just 16 months after introducing the new model. I don't remember much about the 2012 auto issue, but I would question them giving high marks to just about anything on that model. I would not, however, question their failure to recommend it. It was a terrible car, very unbecoming of the nameplate.

The reliability of the 6th gen Legacy and 5th gen Outback have been well below average since the new models hit in MY2015. That's why they're no longer recommended.

verbose wrote:They do. My 2008 Civic has had two issues that were not expected maintenance items: the sun visor split and the engine block leaked coolant. Honda fixed both for free, even the engine block which occurred at 98k miles. In another car, a leaking engine block would have been an end-of-life event, as the car wasn't worth enough to pay for a new engine block. But Honda had a TSB for it and replaced it free.

The TSB was for a faulty engine block in the 06-09 Civics. It's of course in your favor that they replaced it for free, but the reason they did so was because they used a bad production process to cast the blocks, which resulted in a high number of them cracking (some catastrophically) under normal driving conditions. They were replacing them to limit the scandal, not because they're nice. If you had experienced this issue in another model, even within the Honda line, it would indeed have been an end-of-life event.

Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:41 am

lazydavid wrote:
yukonjack wrote:If you look at the rating of the 2012 Civic by CR it received high marks in every single category yet it wasn't recommended. How does a Subaru Outback go from being a CR darling to an overall worse rating in two years? IMO CR has lost a bit of clout when it comes to auto reviews.

The 2012 Civic is widely regarded as a pile of junk by everyone, including Honda. It was so terrible that they released their mid-cycle refresh just 16 months after introducing the new model. I don't remember much about the 2012 auto issue, but I would question them giving high marks to just about anything on that model. I would not, however, question their failure to recommend it. It was a terrible car, very unbecoming of the nameplate.

The reliability of the 6th gen Legacy and 5th gen Outback have been well below average since the new models hit in MY2015. That's why they're no longer recommended.

verbose wrote:They do. My 2008 Civic has had two issues that were not expected maintenance items: the sun visor split and the engine block leaked coolant. Honda fixed both for free, even the engine block which occurred at 98k miles. In another car, a leaking engine block would have been an end-of-life event, as the car wasn't worth enough to pay for a new engine block. But Honda had a TSB for it and replaced it free.

The TSB was for a faulty engine block in the 06-09 Civics. It's of course in your favor that they replaced it for free, but the reason they did so was because they used a bad production process to cast the blocks, which resulted in a high number of them cracking (some catastrophically) under normal driving conditions. They were replacing them to limit the scandal, not because they're nice. If you had experienced this issue in another model, even within the Honda line, it would indeed have been an end-of-life event.

My first Honda Civic was the 2002 model. The transmission went after 10,000 miles. They had a brand new one in my car within 2 days. The car ran pretty well until I hit the 137,000 mile mark then the gaskets went.
I then bought a 2007 Honda Civic...that was a great car! Just traded it in with 227000 miles on it.

Back in 2012 my dealership offered me a great deal on the 2012 model they were closing out. Had 110,000 miles on my 07 car. Decided against it (besides the 2012 was an ugly interior). I know the some of the service guys very well at my dealership and they told me the 2012 was not a very car "mechanically."
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."

Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:55 am

Instead of looking at reliability of a single year / model of car which is unreliable look at the long term reliability of the brand as a whole. Dodge /Chrysler / Jeep are horrible, Ford & Chevy are decent, Honda / Toyota are well above average and Audi then Lexus are generally at the top. I wouldn't buy a first year redesign from any brand but Honda in general is reliable.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:13 am

Quickfoot wrote:Instead of looking at reliability of a single year / model of car which is unreliable look at the long term reliability of the brand as a whole. Dodge /Chrysler / Jeep are horrible, Ford & Chevy are decent, Honda / Toyota are well above average and Audi then Lexus are generally at the top. I wouldn't buy a first year redesign from any brand but Honda in general is reliable.

If you're unwilling to research, I guess this is fine. I've talked before about getting killer deals for horribly rated cars where you avoid the reason for the horrible rating. The Ford Focus (and other dual clutch Fords) are case in point. The Focus has a number of failure points and poor design of components in the dual clutch automatic transmission. Every publication pans this car for this reason. Avoid the disastrous auto and buy a manual and you receive a car that will stay up with a Civic all day long for reliability but count on new cars at huge discounts and very little used, 1000 mile kind of cars for even less. If you want a $22k MSRP car for $14k, you don't even have to go used.....get a brand new one that's heavily discounted because Ford knows that the ratings are in the toilet and offer huge incentives for it. Or go to the Honda dealer and get that $22k MSRP car for $21,500.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:40 am

We have owned a LOT of hondas in our family... between my cars, cars my parents have owned, my siblings have owned and my wife' family has owned I can count at least a dozen models (Civic, Accord, Prelude, Fit, Pilot). In there I count at least 6 civics...

'77 CVCC (1st gen)
'85
'95
'04
'07
'11

Honda makes a good car. Not without problems, but generally above average.. Of that list above I remember the 77 had typical 70s car problems, we blew the head gasket on the 85 (but it was at 240k so I figure it didn't owe us anything). The '11 (MIL car) had the paint recall and is generally lackluster but other than that most of the rest where bulletproof.

The recent reviews for the Civics have been going downhill because the 9th gen redesign in 2011 was a POS. For whatever reason Honda started to loose their mojo and they really cheaped out. It runs fine, but the interior feels cheap, ride is rather harsh and the electric power steering steering has zero feel.

The new one (16+) seems promising but I'm not a fan of the look. It also introduces an all new turbo engine which is an unknown for reliability. So add up the bad record of the previous gen, the usual first year reliability questions and the reliability questions of a new turbo engine and I'm not supposed CR is ify on it.

As far as overall brand reliability, Honda and Toyota basically led the pack walking away for most of the 90's and 00's. I think few sources dispute that. Both have slipped a bit in recent years because cars across the board are so complex now that those 2 have lost the big advantage of build simplicity they used to have which was a major factor in that reliability edge... In just the last couple years Audi seems to have improved themselves to the point where some put it up there with Toyota - but keep in mind that as little as 5 years ago it was mid pack at best and 10 years ago it was down at the bottom. I hope they keep it up as I always liked Audi design but never would even consider owning one due to all the maintenance horror stories Ive heard.

cjcerny

Post by cjcerny » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:51 am

CR also hates Honda's infotainment system with a passion. If you've tried it, you know why.

headedwest

Post by headedwest » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:40 pm

Edmunds.com gave the 2017 Civic 4.5 stars out of 5, and I was considering it myself after a pretty good experience with the 2007. Ultimately, I bought a 2016 Mazda3 hatchback that had been a dealer's loaner (sold as Certified Pre-Owned), so it's slightly used but seems new to me. Besides various editor's reviews, I always look at customer reviews for products that are more than a year old, so those reviews fed into my decision. Of course, it's one of the downsides of buying a new car that such reviews are rare because the car hasn't been on the market long enough.

keystone

Post by keystone » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:40 pm

Quickfoot wrote:Instead of looking at reliability of a single year / model of car which is unreliable look at the long term reliability of the brand as a whole. Dodge /Chrysler / Jeep are horrible, Ford & Chevy are decent, Honda / Toyota are well above average and Audi then Lexus are generally at the top. I wouldn't buy a first year redesign from any brand but Honda in general is reliable.

I like to scan the 5 year reliability charts for each model that is published in the Consumer Reports auto issue. One thing that becomes perfectly clear is that Toyota and Lexus are at the top, regardless of model for the most part. Honda used to be like that, but their reliability varies a lot depending on the model. I would proceed with caution with Audi. In fact the Q7 which is supposed to have excellent reliability for the current year (and 2016), had the worst possible reliability category for 2015.

CULater

Post by CULater » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:32 am

cjcerny wrote:CR also hates Honda's infotainment system with a passion. If you've tried it, you know why.

May I ask why? I'm concerned that the redesigned 2017 CRV might have the same infotainment system, which I'm shopping.
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

yukonjack

Post by yukonjack » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:19 am

cjcerny wrote:CR also hates Honda's infotainment system with a passion. If you've tried it, you know why.

CR seems to hate about 90% of the infotainment systems on the market. If you read their detailed reviews they obviously have a preference for the old school knobs.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:56 am

yukonjack wrote:

CR seems to hate about 90% of the infotainment systems on the market. If you read their detailed reviews they obviously have a preference for the old school knobs.

YMMV. I happen to agree with CR on this. On every car I've tried the touch screen and even the steering wheel buttons are unsafe unless the parking brake is applied. I'd much rather have a half dozen mechanical presets properly located so I don't have to stretch. And while we're at it instead of having modes for AM/FM/Aux the modes should be his and hers and each preset should store the source as well as the channel.

And heaven help us when the climate control is on the touch screen.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:19 pm

xPat wrote:They've also lost a lot of clout because of stunts with Apple product reviews too. They claimed to find fatal flaws with one of the iPhones a few years ago and the most recent MacBook Pros -- generating a lot of click-bait publicity for CR -- and then quietly correct their reviews and recommend them again.

As I recall, on the MacBook Pro Apple had to make a software fix before CR changed their review. Apple made the correction.

I think CR (and any other reviews) should be part of the research process. The test drive is an important part of the process too. Several cars I thought I loved (from reviews and looks) I had no interest in after test driving them.

Though I tend to avoid things that CR says are the least reliable, I have bought appliances that were middle rated at best and loved them. What the reviewers are testing for is not necessarily what I am looking for. Reliability isn't really subjective, but many other things are.

dbr

Post by dbr » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:32 pm

Epsilon Delta wrote:
And heaven help us when the climate control is on the touch screen.

And nobody checks to see all of that can be operated while wearing gloves.

My wife had a car that was a joy for simple, large knobs to control heating and cooling. It got totaled in an accident and we made the mistake of buying a newer version of the same model. One upgrade was a new set of controls with LED read outs you can't see and tiny knobs you can't turn.

The car I own today still allows the climate controls to be operated well at night wearing gloves.