Google wifi is awesome

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
fogalog

Re: Google wifi is awesome

Post by fogalog » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:03 pm

+1 for eero.

I bought a 3-pack a few months back and have never looked back. I have mine configured with wired backhaul and in bridge mode. It took literally minutes to get it going. Very smooth.

I had previously been using (Apple) APs with the same network name & password and while that worked, roaming with a smartphone was hit-and-miss; sometimes they would re-connect and sometimes they wouldn't. Of course mesh technology is designed to solve this precise problem (as well as a few others).

What I particularly like about eero is their support and community. It really is top-notch.

YMMV

Gronnie

Post by Gronnie » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:46 am

Five Scoop wrote:I went with the Eero over Google Wifi because Eero has the ability to be hardwired to existing ethernet ports.

So does Google Wifi. In fact, it's how I have mine set up.

cookiez

Post by cookiez » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:24 am

I bought a tp-link re200 for $30 from amazon and never had any problems. Took me 10 minutes to set it up (including figure out how to turn off the led light when it's on.)

Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:35 am

sandramjet wrote:
lightheir wrote:I know this is as brazen a product plug as it gets, but I think it's warranted.

Another benefit - it was stupidly simple to set up. You literally plug it in, download an app on the phone, and turn it on.

and thats the deal killer for me... we don't own any smartphones, and you can't set it up without it.

It's rare to find a dumbphone in a store these days. You can get 30$ retail smartphones. Given that, there is no sensible reason for it to be a reason for a product developer to assume you don't have one
IT-DevOps System Administrator

mac_guy

Post by mac_guy » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:34 am

fogalog wrote:+1 for eero.

I bought a 3-pack a few months back and have never looked back. I have mine configured with wired backhaul and in bridge mode. It took literally minutes to get it going. Very smooth.

I had previously been using (Apple) APs with the same network name & password and while that worked, roaming with a smartphone was hit-and-miss; sometimes they would re-connect and sometimes they wouldn't. Of course mesh technology is designed to solve this precise problem (as well as a few others).

What I particularly like about eero is their support and community. It really is top-notch.

YMMV

It is interesting that eero allows mesh networking in bridge mode. It seems that Google WiFi does NOT allow is:

Does Google Wifi support Bridge mode?
Yeah, but it will only work if you’re using a single Google Wifi point or OnHub. If you’re creating a mesh network with multiple Wifi points, your Primary Wifi point cannot be in Bridge mode. This is because the Primary Wifi point needs to do special things to control settings and communication within your Wi-Fi network. If it’s in bridge mode, you’ll lose some of Google Wifi’s key features.

https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/6240987?hl=en

This is a bit of problem for me, because I need wireless routers that work in bridge mode. I have FIOS Quantum TV and from what I've read, you need to use Verizon's supplied router and not put that router in bridge mode to get all the advanced FIOS TV features to work. I currently have a Google Onhub that I run in bridge mode. I was thinking about buying a Google WiFi and setting up a mesh network with my OnHub. But, if I do that, I will have to turn off bridge mode on the OnHub. This will create a double NAT situation, which will introduce other problems into my network.

Has anyone else dealt with this problem?

misterno

Post by misterno » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:07 pm

Can someone please help me?

My internet service provider which I hate with all my heart, does not let us use any other router than theirs. So I can not use google wifi as a router.

But what I am wondering is can I use the 2 other pieces of the 3 pack as a REPEATER?

I purchased 1 single unit from walmart came home and opened the package but I realized that 1 piece has the router only. I am guessing the 3 packs have only 1 router and 2 repeaters right?

-------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually what I want to do is use my hateful ISP's router and in addition 1 (only 1) google wifi device to extend (repeat) the signal to my second floor which is not receiving the signal well.

is this possible?

LAguy818

Post by LAguy818 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:34 pm

misterno wrote:Can someone please help me?

My internet service provider which I hate with all my heart, does not let us use any other router than theirs. So I can not use google wifi as a router.

But what I am wondering is can I use the 2 other pieces of the 3 pack as a REPEATER?

I purchased 1 single unit from walmart came home and opened the package but I realized that 1 piece has the router only. I am guessing the 3 packs have only 1 router and 2 repeaters right?

Eventually what I want to do is use my hateful ISP's router and in addition 1 (only 1) google wifi device to extend (repeat) the signal to my second floor which is not receiving the signal well.

is this possible?

You can turn off the WiFi portion of the ISP router and use whatever router you want by connecting the WAN/Internet port of the new router to a LAN port on the ISP router.

Fiat lux

Post by Fiat lux » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:10 pm

LAguy818 wrote:
misterno wrote:Can someone please help me?

is this possible?

You can turn off the WiFi portion of the ISP router and use whatever router you want by connecting the WAN/Internet port of the new router to a LAN port on the ISP router.

I also have google wifi and it is working well! I have it plugged into my frontier router (a MoCA LAN bridge) which I have to use for services to work with my tv. I do not have the frontier router in bridge mode, instead I have google wifi plugged into the router and it is in essence just piggybacking off the router. I do not see a need to bridge the frontier router, although i see the wireless networks that come with it we just dont use them. Latency does not seem to be affected.

Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:42 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
lightheir wrote:I know this is as brazen a product plug as it gets, but I think it's warranted.

Thanks for sharing. I will be purchasing this in about 8 weeks when I move into the new home.

Do you know how well it works across two floors?

Also thank you for sharing. I had heard of this, but hadn't looked into it carefully, and now I'm planning to get this for my upcoming home. Many that I'm looking at, including the one I'll be making an offer for, are two floors. Did this ever get answered -- does it work for multiple floors? I'm okay with buying the three pack and covering the downstairs with two and upstairs (which is about half the size of downstairs) with the third.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, [i]Layer Cake[/i]

mcluhan

Post by mcluhan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:03 am

Does anyone know if this would allow me to keep track of my teens web browsing activity? I can't find the answer on the product website. It looks like you can keep track of who is connected to the wifi, but I was wondering if you could also see what they're viewing.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:18 am

Clever_Username wrote:
unclescrooge wrote:

Thanks for sharing. I will be purchasing this in about 8 weeks when I move into the new home.

Do you know how well it works across two floors?

Also thank you for sharing. I had heard of this, but hadn't looked into it carefully, and now I'm planning to get this for my upcoming home. Many that I'm looking at, including the one I'll be making an offer for, are two floors. Did this ever get answered -- does it work for multiple floors? I'm okay with buying the three pack and covering the downstairs with two and upstairs (which is about half the size of downstairs) with the third.

I have never had a problem but this is going to be construction related and how well wireless signals move through the walls/floors/ceilings. In our house 1 router in the center basically does the whole house (4k sq ft). When I had the router in the basement in a corner, parts of the upstairs struggled.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:29 am

mcluhan wrote:Does anyone know if this would allow me to keep track of my teens web browsing activity? I can't find the answer on the product website. It looks like you can keep track of who is connected to the wifi, but I was wondering if you could also see what they're viewing.

I think that requires purchasing nanny software.

As a father of 4 young adults, my suggestion is to not ask questions the answer to which will make you uncomfortable. Hold yourself to the therapist boundary: if there's no indication of danger to them or others, it's not for you to know unless they share willingly.

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:55 am

Heard great things about Google WiFi. Read reviews on how much faster it would be than my existing Luma mesh network so I ordered it. Tested head to head and it wasn't close for me, Luma outperform Google consistently. Don't know why this is, every online review I read suggested it would go the other way but after the head to head testing my home continues to run on a Luma network and Amazon has a slightly 3 router Google Wifi kit to sell. Google Wifi is a wonderfully designed and packaged product that just didn't live up to the hype in my situation.
Run, You Clever Boy!

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:59 am

mcluhan wrote:Does anyone know if this would allow me to keep track of my teens web browsing activity? I can't find the answer on the product website. It looks like you can keep track of who is connected to the wifi, but I was wondering if you could also see what they're viewing.

https://www.howtogeek.com/286599/how-to ... -controls/
Run, You Clever Boy!

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:14 pm

Just got Google Wifi after my current modem/extender started dropping out on a regular basis. The Google system covers our 2350sf single level house will full speed everywhere. It was fairly easy to set up although it seemed that I had to go through the process a couple of times with each access point before it would take. So far, so good! It's very nice not having different network names to connect to - just the primary name with auto switching from 2.4 to 5ghz plus guest access.

After reading posts here and elsewhere I waivered between Orbi and Google. I decided to go with Google because we are a Google household (chromebooks, Android phones, chromecast, streaming Youtube TV etc.), because although Orbi can handle faster speeds I think the Google throughput will be more than enough for us (we use 15mbps service), and because of lower cost. We also liked the much smaller form factor.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

yolli71

Post by yolli71 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:58 pm

Another thumbs up for Google Wifi. I was having trouble reaching certain areas of my home, so I ditched my Airport Time Capsule and bought the Netgear Orbi. I had trouble trying to set it up and I found Netgear support to be absolutely terrible (very difficult to reach, long wait times, etc.). I returned the Orbi and elected to go with Google Wifi. Google Wifi literally took me 5 minutes to set up and it has been outstanding!

I'm not a techie so it's possible people who like to tinker and mess with network settings would prefer the Orbi. But I can confirm that Google Wifi has worked flawlessly for about 2 months now, costs less than the Orbi, is less obtrusive than the Orbi units, has a very user-friendly app, and reaches ALL areas of my home (including outside where I have some Ring wifi security cameras).

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:12 pm

yolli71 wrote: I'm not a techie so it's possible people who like to tinker and mess with network settings would prefer the Orbi. But I can confirm that Google Wifi has worked flawlessly for about 2 months now, costs less than the Orbi, is less obtrusive than the Orbi units, has a very user-friendly app, and reaches ALL areas of my home (including outside where I have some Ring wifi security cameras).
I'm on the same page with the techie stuff. I'm actually pretty good at it and always enjoyed it when I was younger but in my opinion it's gotten to the point that many things are overcomplicated by technology. Technology should simplify not add complication to our lives. So far the Google wifi has filled that bill and performed flawlessly so I'm a fan. Hopefully that continues with time.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

cantos

Post by cantos » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:39 pm

Another thanks to the OP. Set up google wifi to my google onhub, and now I have blazing fast WIFI everywhere in the house. Outside too.