help with my printer problem

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
pablolo

help with my printer problem

Post by pablolo » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:36 am

I have a 15 year old hp 300 desk series printerthat is not printing. I ran the diagnostics and it saidusb composite device is an older usb device and might not work with usb3.0 I am not very tech savvy. should I buy a 3.0 usb cable or just buy a new hp printer for $59 at best buy.? I seldom use it . any suggestions? thank you.

munemaker

Re: help with my printer problem

Post by munemaker » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:37 am

pablolo wrote:I have a 15 year old hp 300 desk series printerthat is not printing. I ran the diagnostics and it saidusb composite device is an older usb device and might not work with usb3.0 I am not very tech savvy. should I buy a 3.0 usb cable or just buy a new hp printer for $59 at best buy.? I seldom use it . any suggestions? thank you.

Does your computer have a USB 2.0 port? If so, try that.

Ged

Post by Ged » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:40 am

I would check the HP site to see if they have updated drivers for your printer.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:41 am

pablolo wrote:I have a 15 year old hp 300 desk series printerthat is not printing. I ran the diagnostics and it saidusb composite device is an older usb device and might not work with usb3.0 I am not very tech savvy. should I buy a 3.0 usb cable or just buy a new hp printer for $59 at best buy.? I seldom use it . any suggestions? thank you.

Keep looking and trying things.

Example: For an organization I manage (part time), we have some old printers that serve our needs very well. One is a "dot matrix" OKIDATA. Others include Brother laser and an HP 1200 laser. When we upgraded computers three years ago and went to Windows 9 (network), there were problems with the printers, but I stumbled through the confugurations and got the dot matrix to work very well at "test only" and the HP to work with some very obscure settings that I found doing an internet search.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:42 am

Ged wrote:I would check the HP site to see if they have updated drivers for your printer.

Yes, try this as well

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:44 am

Our old dot matrix that we use now has a USB connection, but a previous one still had the old style (many plugs) connection. I got that to work for a few years by buying a cable tht was USB on one end and the Old style on the other - since the computer only had the USB.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:07 pm

Does it print a test page?

(need to look at your specific printer model for steps http://www8.hp.com/h20621/video-gallery ... ter/video/ )

Is this an inkjet printer? I've gone through a dozen printers and all the ink dries out or gets clogged. I've given up on color for now and am back to laser in black and white only.

USB 3.0 is supposed to be backward compatible, but there are situations where it's not. You could try a new cable, but don't get your hopes up.

pablolo

Post by pablolo » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:17 pm

I use only the black inkjet cartridge. I called Hewlett-Packard and they said I need a new printer. Recommend ED the. HP ND. Wired. It's $59.99 on sale this week at Best buy.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:22 pm

I am "biased" towards laser (black and white, no color) printers. For color, although more (initially) costly, inkjet, I recommend the ones with four cartridges (black, cyan, magenta and yellow) and not the single cartridges with all four colors in one - they easily clog, etc.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:23 pm

pablolo wrote:I use only the black inkjet cartridge. I called Hewlett-Packard and they said I need a new printer. Recommend ED the. HP ND. Wired. It's $59.99 on sale this week at Best buy.

Hardy an "independent" recommendation :sharebeer

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:44 pm

There is no such thing as a cheap inkjet. They gouge you on the ink cartridges. I think the only reason they charge for the printer at all, rather than strewing them helicopter Ben style, is so people won't see a gift horse and look in it's mouth.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:34 pm

Epsilon Delta wrote:There is no such thing as a cheap inkjet. They gouge you on the ink cartridges. I think the only reason they charge for the printer at all, rather than strewing them helicopter Ben style, is so people won't see a gift horse and look in it's mouth.

yea not an inkjet fan. literally gave my last one away. printer ink was more expensive then the printer and if not used regularly the heads would clog.

rgnort

Post by rgnort » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:31 pm

Just bought an Epson 434 at Walmart for $55., seems fine. Might buy another one when I need ink!

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:37 pm

Epsilon Delta wrote:There is no such thing as a cheap inkjet. They gouge you on the ink cartridges. I think the only reason they charge for the printer at all, rather than strewing them helicopter Ben style, is so people won't see a gift horse and look in it's mouth.

Every time I need to buy more ink for my inkject, I always check Amazon first to see if it will be cheaper to buy a new printer (that comes loaded with fresh ink) instead. It's often cheaper to buy a new printer. Horrible for the environment, I know. But the manufacturers are creating perverse incentives.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:30 pm

F150HD wrote:yea not an inkjet fan. literally gave my last one away. printer ink was more expensive then the printer and if not used regularly the heads would clog.

I was a hardcore laser printer devotee for more than 2 decades. When the transfer belt on my Color LaserJet went after 12 years, I elected to replace rather than repair it. Picked up an Epson Workforce Pro WF-4630, which got spectacular reviews. And it was great--good print quality, fast, convenient, multi-page network scanning, etc. Week 51 of ownership it started banding, and I replaced all the cartridges that had not yet been replaced with Epson original cartridges. By week 53 it threw an error message indicative of a failed printhead every time I tried to print. Cleaning (either using the built-in cycle or manually) only makes it worse. Contacted Epson, and they want $120 plus shipping both ways to replace it with a refurb--gotta love that 1 year warranty! It was $180 new with a fresh set of ink cartridges.

So I'm a laser printer devotee again. Found a great deal on a Dell multifunction color laser that is working well so far (Duplex scanning rules!). Toner actually costs more per page in theory than the ink for the Epson, but it doesn't have cleaning/calibration cycles that waste half of the supplies, and I hopefully won't have to replace the printer every time the cartridges run out.

yukonjack

Post by yukonjack » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:35 pm

If all else fails call the customer service number for HP printers. They can probably help you trouble shoot it.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:32 am

pablolo wrote:I use only the black inkjet cartridge. I called Hewlett-Packard and they said I need a new printer.

Sitting in the barber chair, the customer asked the barber, "Do i need a haircut?"

OP, again, can you successfully print out a test page? Helps figure out if the problem is with the printer or your setup. If you can't simply print out a test page, nothing you do with your computer or cabling will change things.

If it is a rare incompatibility between usb 3 ports and usb 2 or older devices, you might find some computers have both usb 2 and 3 ports. Does yours? Laptop or desktop? Brand/model?

BTW, was this a setup that was working and suddenly stopped working or are you hooking up the printer to a new computer?
Last edited by inbox788 on Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:37 am

Not sure if the printer you're considering is an inkjet printer. If so I'd suggest a laser printer instead. Something like a brother B&W laser printer. I see one at Office Depot for $49
Office Depot HL-L2320D: http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/7 ... HL-L2320D/

I have this one which is really good HL-L2360DW but it is not on sale: http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/8 ... inter-HLL/

tdhg566

Post by tdhg566 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:16 pm

+1 for Brother laser printers.

Have the 2340

It has a setting, called "continuous", that allows you to continue printing past the "replace toner" message. so you can literally print until the page comes out blank. saves a ton on printer cartridges
My work in retirement must be retiree friendly, geographically portable, mentally stimulating, personally profitable and emotionally rewarding.

TerryDMillerMBA

Post by TerryDMillerMBA » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:26 pm

brother multi-function printer + ComboInk.com = very happy
(I don't have any business interests in either recommendation)

BHUser27

Post by BHUser27 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:11 pm

If you "seldom" use the printer, please, please don't buy another ink jet.

A low cost laser jet would make much more sense. If you can live with black/white only, one of the little black Brother laser jets is very economical, and won't dry out, clog and evaporate when not used. Brother color laser jet is one of the most satisfying investments I have made in a loooong time. I have the HL-3180CDW.

Ged

Post by Ged » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:18 pm

If you do decide to get a new printer I would also recommend a Brother laser printer. I have a high end multi-dancing color duplex that I get a lot of use out of. A friend has a low end Brother B&W that has also given great reliable service.

cmeretire

Post by cmeretire » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:15 pm

Just buy this right now and be done with it. $49.99

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/7 ... _-11263938

gd

Post by gd » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:12 am

Note that the choices for models with simple controls (i.e., non-fax) and flatbed scanners are pretty sparse for low-end laser devices. I use the scanner as much as the printer (and no space for 2 boxes), and my co-users are baffled by overly-complicated controls.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:43 am

lazydavid wrote:
So I'm a laser printer devotee again. Found a great deal on a Dell multifunction color laser that is working well so far (Duplex scanning rules!). Toner actually costs more per page in theory than the ink for the Epson, but it doesn't have cleaning/calibration cycles that waste half of the supplies, and I hopefully won't have to replace the printer every time the cartridges run out.

The cost of a basic b/w laser printer isn't what it was years back. For $100 or less one can have a decent laser that won't clog etc., many also do multiple other functions. I have an HP now, wireless which is nice. It'll outlive me. I don't need to print much anymore but nice to have something reliable when I do unlike that old Canon I used to own.

mouses

Post by mouses » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:55 pm

OP, I would like to know more about how this problem happened.

Did you have a perfectly fine working setup and nothing changed except the printer now does not work?

Or was it that you tried to get the printer to work with a new computer?

Or?

What do you mean by not printing? Is it acting dead? Is it printing badly? Does it sound like it's trying to print but nothing comes out?

This will help determine what the problem may be.

As the owner of an ancient HP all in one which is far better than any current color scanner/printer I have been able to find and which I use a lot, I think you will not find updated drivers, although no harm looking, and HP support is not only the worst in the world but they probably will not even try to sell you help. I think they have a ten years and you're out of luck policy.

But tell us more about what has happened so we have a clue.

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:38 pm

F150HD wrote:

yea not an inkjet fan. literally gave my last one away. printer ink was more expensive then the printer and if not used regularly the heads would clog.

I also recently gave away a working inkjet. I only wish I had an unsuspecting worst enemy to take it. It was an Epson, well reviewed by the pc magazines and on amazon -- at first. Medium priced (not one of the very cheap ones) with a good feature set. But looking at later Amazon reviews, I found people complaining bitterly about the stunning amount of ink it used. As was I. I mean, it seemed like $40 or so per month, and we didn't print that much! As others in this thread have posted, inkjets use up ink in periodic cleaning, so you won't get the rated ink usage (pages per cartridge) unless you print a lot.

Before the Epson, had an HP inkjet I was pretty happy with -- good quality output, nothing like the ink consumption of the Epson. But its printheads started having problem after three or four years, hence the ill-fated purchase of the Epson.

Now I have a mid-priced HP color laser. High quality output, and hopefully it won't tell me it is out of ink every 30 days, whether I use it or not.

I don't miss having the inkjet's ability to print photos on glossy paper -- much cheaper and quite easy to have the local wahlgreens print 4x6s and if higher quality/larger prints are needed then there are plenty of good online options. I haven't printed a photo on a home printer in many years. But I do need color sometimes, so a black and white laser wasn't an option.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:54 pm

TN_Boy wrote:
I don't miss having the inkjet's ability to print photos on glossy paper -- much cheaper and quite easy to have the local wahlgreens print 4x6s and if higher quality/larger prints are needed then there are plenty of good online options. I haven't printed a photo on a home printer in many years. But I do need color sometimes, so a black and white laser wasn't an option.

I do the Walgreens thing too when I need prints. Its super easy and so cheap and always ready w/in an hour even.

fogalog

Post by fogalog » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:07 pm

If you really are only using the black cartridge then I would suggest you replace this printer with a laser printer. The initial cost might be slightly higher but the running costs are much, much cheaper and it will cost you significantly less over time (depending on what you buy, of course).

pablolo

Post by pablolo » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:52 pm

Is the $49.99 brother black laser jet printer compatible with Windows 10 and my 2 year old Dell Inspiron small desktop 3646?

tdhg566

Post by tdhg566 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:31 am

pablolo wrote:Is the $49.99 brother black laser jet printer compatible with Windows 10 and my 2 year old Dell Inspiron small desktop 3646?

I have the 2340 which looks identical and uses the same cartridge and drum. Just a small feature difference I'm sure. I access mine from W7, W10, iOS, latest two versions of MacOS. Can't image there would be an incompatibility. Worse that could happen, and I've never needed to do this, is that you need to download a firmware update from Brother and update your printer. After owning many Brother printers for more years that I can count, I've never needed to update the firmware.
My work in retirement must be retiree friendly, geographically portable, mentally stimulating, personally profitable and emotionally rewarding.