Which eReader to purchase?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Gemini

Which eReader to purchase?

Post by Gemini »

In the market for eReader. Getting hard to travel with books. Looking for something that won't or minimally strain the eyes. I don't really need all the bells and whistles but, if they enhance the reading, I am open to it as this will likely last a while.

Do you use eReader? Suggestions on which one to get? I looked into Kindle and there are about 5 versions. Not sure which fits me best.
mhalley

Re: Which eReader to purchase?

Post by mhalley »

I love my Kindle Paperwhite. I almost wish I t would die so I would have a reason to upgrade. Here re some reviews.
http://www.techradar.com/news/portable- ... rs-1320453
My wife and I are both voracious readers, and find many books with the Kindle unlimited service.
Last edited by mhalley on Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

I like the Kindle Paperwhite ($99). Can use it to buy books from Amazon or borrow from library. I also have a Kindle but this model does not have a light. Screen on paperwhite is higher resolution than the kindle.

If looking to travel light and you already have an iPad, you can install the Kindle App on the iPad and read all your kindle content. However, iPad battery life is not as good as the Kindles. You can't read outside with an iPad which you can do with any of the kindle e-readers.
Last edited by DSInvestor on Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki
letsgobobby

Deleted

Post by letsgobobby »

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
boro

Post by boro »

I use a Kobo Aura One. It has a 7.8" screen, which is considerabe larger than the 6" screens in currently availabe Kindles. Think of it as the size of a good trade paperback. In addition, it runs Overdrive directly for books from you public library.
Midpack

Post by Midpack »

I have iBooks and it's very nice, though virtually unreadable outdoors as noted above. But not surprisingly, Kindle books are almost always a few $ cheaper. So I have the free Kindle app on my iPad and buy Kindle eBooks more often than not. I know lots of people with the paperwhite Kindle readers, every one of them loves them, and they're not expensive at all.
You only live once...
mouses

Post by mouses »

I like my Nook HD+. I got it almost "free" from credit card rewards from a backup credit card I don't use much, so one day when checking it I was surprised by the free Nook popup.

Most of my books are kindle books but I keep them in Calibre, because if you ever close your amazon account, amazon deletes all your kindle books from all your kindle or kindle for pc devices. It can't (yet anyway) reach the Calibre database.

Calibre has an option to translate books to epub (it will do many at once in one operation). Then I just hook up the Nook with a USB cable to my pc, where it looks like a disk, and download the epub books. I tend to do this in batches for convenience.

I have about 900 epub books on the Nook, so, plenty of space. It has 32Gb plus the optional microSD card has 64GB. The font size can be adjusted, etc.

B&N has brought out newer models. Ebay seems to be selling the HD+ starting at about $40.

It does other things like get to the net, but I only use it as an e-reader. It works fine in all kinds of light.

I can't remember if it came with a case. It may have come with a leather or fake leather case, which I avoid for ethical reasons. Vera Bradley makes a nice quilted case that fits it.
Last edited by mouses on Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

We have some old Sony readers (the very first such devices with eInk) that are basically retired. So we have a long history with eBooks and a large library of books. My wife has a non-paperwhite Kindle, and I bought the newest model (Oasis) last year because I wanted the backlit screen to read in bed.

We also have iPads with the Kindle app, and if I travel lightly I often just take the iPad, but for extended reading sessions (especially outdoors at the pool, beach or even just my own backyard) the Kindle is much better. Weighs less, better display, better battery life.

My recommendation is to visit a local store that has various Kindle devices on display (e.g. Best Buy) and try them out.

As much as I like to support underdogs (former OS/2 fan here), I would go with Amazon's ecosystem here.
FeesR-BullNotBullish

Post by FeesR-BullNotBullish »

I second the notion to get a Kindle buy into Amazon's ecosystem. A backlight in the device is a must for me, so I can read at night. I think you can borrow library books directly from your Kindle whereas I cannot do this with my Nook. Another strong recommendation is to resist any temptation you may have to get a reader that doubles as a tablet (like a Kindle Fire). I did this once. Not only was I overwhelmed with the distractions but it's not easy on your eyes like an e-reader is. When you make your decision, you will not look back. It doesn't seem like it should be a hassle to hold the weight of a book. However, with the minimal weight of an e-reader I cannot be bothered to hold a book. If someone gifts or lends me a book, I will promptly buy the digital counterpart!
Ninnie

Post by Ninnie »

Kindle Paperwhite. Look no further.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

FeesR-BullNotBullish wrote:Not only was I overwhelmed with the distractions but it's not easy on your eyes like an e-reader is.
That is actually a very good point (for me). Tablets can do so much more; when I read on my iPad I am constantly tempted to check my email, notifications pop up, and I am inclined to check out what's being discussed on Boglehead or other sites I follow. If I read on the dedicated eReader I am in my "reading zone" and less likely distracted. Perhaps there is a book that helps me focus; let me quickly google that :)
KALS

Post by KALS »

Lots of discussion at the MobileRead forum, Which one should I buy? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forum ... .php?f=123

Cannot go wrong with Amazon eReaders. Great customer service too.
mouses

Post by mouses »

FeesR-BullNotBullish wrote: I think you can borrow library books directly from your Kindle whereas I cannot do this with my Nook.
I will experiment the next time I'm around wireless service. However, I do get Overdrive books into Calibre on my pc and pop them across a USB cable to my Nook.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Kindle PaperWhite. Kindle Fire HD.
Last edited by Sandtrap on Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
onourway

Post by onourway »

I'll add to the Kindle Paperwhite suggestions. I was an early adopter of the iPad and used it for years as my e-reader while traveling, but recently started using a Kindle we'd gotten as a gift that had sat in a drawer for years. It's much easier to hold than the iPad, and as someone who already spends most of my day looking at computer screens, much easier on the eyes. The fact that I can borrow a decent selection of books for free through my Prime account (and of course library) is icing on the cake.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

I have the el-cheapo no frills Kindle, $59, which is great for reading. I have had one for about 6 years.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

The Kindle Paperwhite is in the sweet spot of cost/feature spectrum. The $59 one doesn't have a lighted screen, which is important to me. The more expensive ones are really, really awesome, but don't have quite enough awesomeness for what they cost.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
EddyB

Post by EddyB »

mouses wrote:
FeesR-BullNotBullish wrote: I think you can borrow library books directly from your Kindle whereas I cannot do this with my Nook.
I will experiment the next time I'm around wireless service. However, I do get Overdrive books into Calibre on my pc and pop them across a USB cable to my Nook.
I "can" get books from my library directly on my Kindle, but it's much easier to do it from the Overdrive app, so I end up browsing for and borrowing books on my phone, for wireless delivery to my Kindle. That works for me.
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

We checkout many library books on our Nook HD as our library uses the overdrive app.
In fact I also read Amazon books on the nook as well using their Kindle apps.

Our Nook HD still runs great as I have replaced the Nook's android OS with a newer one.

My vote would be to get a 7" tablet and load the Nook, Kindle, and you library app onto it, then you have access to all the book formats.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I have distinctly mixed feelings about my Kindle Fire HD, 8.9". It's OK. It works. The Fire devices are basically general-purpose mutated-Android tablets, with the software organized and tweaked to make e-reading the primary goal. As an e-reader it works well. It has a typical tablet screen, not readable in full sunlight, not too great outdoors; and typical a-bit-short battery life (claimed eight hours, more like six). I've had it for about three years now. It was a choice between $250 for a Kindle Fire and $600 for an iPad. (My wife has an iPad).

As a tablet, the a $250 Kindle Fire just does not have all the niceness, fit-and-finish, of either the hardware or the software of an iPad. For whatever mysterious reasons, although neither device is perfect at connecting to public or hotel WiFi, the iPad is a lot better. The Fire is not really Android, it's a mutated version; it doesn't work with Google Play, you are stuck with Amazon's inferior app store; apparently Amazon just does not offer OS updates at all; and their web browser, "Silk," is another off-brand thing that has serious glitches with many websites, and a tendency to lock up solid (requiring restarting the tablet) on some.

I don't honestly think I could stand the idea of lugging both a true Kindle eBook and a general-purpose tablet. On a scale of 1-10, I'd give the Kindle Fire about a 7 as an e-reader and maybe a 3 as a general-purpose tablet. It does work more smoothly as an e-reader than running a Kindle app on an iPad, mostly because for whatever reasons (it wasn't always that way) my wife cannot access the Kindle ebook-store or buy titles from within the Kindle app on her iPad.

So, a Kindle Fire HD is a compromise, but I find it "tolerable" rather than "great." I'm honestly unsure what I'll do when/if my Kindle Fire bites the dust or succumbs finally to version skew.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

ruralavalon wrote:I have the el-cheapo no frills Kindle, $59, which is great for reading. I have had one for about 6 years.
I also have a low-cost Kindle for the last several years. It doesn't have a built-in reading light, but I think I got a good deal overall for the price I paid. If/when my current Kindle stops working, I'll most likely purchase another Kindle as a replacement.
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

The cheapest Kindle, now listed at $50, can be found for $35 or so at times on Amazon.

As a reader it is as good as anything else. I ignore all the other junk on it, and run it in "airplane mode" at all times except when downloading new books.
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

At home, I've started reading books on the Kindle App in my Chromebook. When I travel, I take my Surface Pro 3 for photograph editing and storage. I use the Kindle App for reading.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

Assuming you want to read books, either the latest Amazon e-reader, the Oasis or the one before that, the Voyage, or if you don't want to spend that much, the Paperwhite, which is still very good and is only $99 right now. The cheapest Kindle has a lower resolution and does not have backlighting and I wouldn't recommend it. You probably do not need to pay extra for 3G or to remove the ads, which are very unobtrusive and non-irritating, and I say that even though I use ad-blocking software for the internet.

There are plenty of free books available, both out-of-copyright classics and mostly junky new books that the authors are trying to get some traction for. You can also subscribe to unlimited reading but not all books are included. You can even manually add books that are not from Amazon using free Calibre software.

If you want to read magazines or graphic novels or illustrated books, etc., just use whatever tablet you like best that is small and light enough to comfortably handle. iPad is probably the best, but it is also expensive.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

(If you are listening Amazon)...I would like to see a two sided Kindle. One side is the Paper White screen. The other side is the color/FireHD screen.

It has a cover you move to the side you do not want to use. With the screen on all day on the Paper White, your battery lasts a long time. If you want to flip over and use the color screen for browsing, games, music, use the that screen.

It might be too heavy. I'll get the engineers figure that out. :o
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
tzukulika

Post by tzukulika »

I have to confess I'm addicted to e-readers :annoyed ; My personal preference are e-readers using e-pubs , not kindles on the AMZN environment due to shady AMZN ethics displayed a while ago.
I have the following :
Original Nook , Nook Single Touch , Nook Single Touch with GlowLight.
I'm currently ogling the Kobo Aura One, which has the potential to be the ultimate -ereader :
1) Large screen size : 7.8" vs 6" as the rest : and at the best resolutions available
2) WATERPROOF
3) Ability to borrow straight from OverDrive
4) No Big Brother (that I know of).
Downsides :
1) Expensive and not in stock most of the time . You will have to get it via a Canadian store
2) Initial battery drain issues. - seems to be solved now via firmware updates.

I did purchased an Nook Color as well a while back but again there is no comparison between Ereader and tablets (LCD) for extending reading time

Use Calibre as suggested previously as a book manager. It will let you find via project Gutenberg more reading material then time available.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

nisiprius wrote:I have distinctly mixed feelings about my Kindle Fire HD, 8.9". It's OK. It works. The Fire devices are basically general-purpose mutated-Android tablets, with the software organized and tweaked to make e-reading the primary goal. As an e-reader it works well. It has a typical tablet screen, not readable in full sunlight, not too great outdoors; and typical a-bit-short battery life (claimed eight hours, more like six). I've had it for about three years now. It was a choice between $250 for a Kindle Fire and $600 for an iPad. (My wife has an iPad).

As a tablet, the a $250 Kindle Fire just does not have all the niceness, fit-and-finish, of either the hardware or the software of an iPad. For whatever mysterious reasons, although neither device is perfect at connecting to public or hotel WiFi, the iPad is a lot better. The Fire is not really Android, it's a mutated version; it doesn't work with Google Play, you are stuck with Amazon's inferior app store; apparently Amazon just does not offer OS updates at all; and their web browser, "Silk," is another off-brand thing that has serious glitches with many websites, and a tendency to lock up solid (requiring restarting the tablet) on some.

I don't honestly think I could stand the idea of lugging both a true Kindle eBook and a general-purpose tablet. On a scale of 1-10, I'd give the Kindle Fire about a 7 as an e-reader and maybe a 3 as a general-purpose tablet. It does work more smoothly as an e-reader than running a Kindle app on an iPad, mostly because for whatever reasons (it wasn't always that way) my wife cannot access the Kindle ebook-store or buy titles from within the Kindle app on her iPad.

So, a Kindle Fire HD is a compromise, but I find it "tolerable" rather than "great." I'm honestly unsure what I'll do when/if my Kindle Fire bites the dust or succumbs finally to version skew.
I agree. The kindle is good for reading and watching Amaxon videos, especially when flying.

Pretty much useless for everything else. I prefer to use my note 5 for web surfing and reading bogleheads forum.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Gemini wrote:In the market for eReader. Getting hard to travel with books....
Do you travel with a PC? There is KIndle software for Windows and a Kindle app for Chromebooks. I don't know about Macs, but it wouldn't surprise me.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
fortysixandtwo

Post by fortysixandtwo »

I was a late comer to the e-reader market, but I also wanted something that was easy on the eyes and didn't have bells and whistles. I went for the base level (non-paperwhite) Kindle. I love it. It has no backlight which was a must for me as I didn't want to stare at anymore glowing screens than I already do. Last time I checked you could not completely turn off the backlight on the paperwhite which might have changed. Also, the base model is only $59.
fortysixandtwo

Post by fortysixandtwo »

To tag onto my recommendation, the kindle app for mobile/tablet/etc. will sync with your Kindle to keep you on the page you were last on. It's a great feature when you are out and want to go back to reading on your phone.
delamer

Post by delamer »

mouses wrote:I like my Nook HD+. I got it almost "free" from credit card rewards from a backup credit card I don't use much, so one day when checking it I was surprised by the free Nook popup.

Most of my books are kindle books but I keep them in Calibre, because if you ever close your amazon account, amazon deletes all your kindle books from all your kindle or kindle for pc devices. It can't (yet anyway) reach the Calibre database.

Calibre has an option to translate books to epub (it will do many at once in one operation). Then I just hook up the Nook with a USB cable to my pc, where it looks like a disk, and download the epub books. I tend to do this in batches for convenience.

I have about 900 epub books on the Nook, so, plenty of space. It has 32Gb plus the optional microSD card has 64GB. The font size can be adjusted, etc.

B&N has brought out newer models. Ebay seems to be selling the HD+ starting at about $40.

It does other things like get to the net, but I only use it as an e-reader. It works fine in all kinds of light.

I can't remember if it came with a case. It may have come with a leather or fake leather case, which I avoid for ethical reasons. Vera Bradley makes a nice quilted case that fits it.
Can you explain your statement that Amazon deletes your purchased Kindle books if you close your account?

Do you really mean that Amazon literally deletes them even if they are downloaded to your device?
tzukulika

Post by tzukulika »

Here is what I'm talking about regarding AMZN as a big brother....

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/18/techn ... mazon.html

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2012/ ... es-account

But no worry, wikileaks just informed us all is well, and EVERYTHING is apparently back-ed up someplace :sharebeer
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

unclescrooge wrote:
nisiprius wrote:I have distinctly mixed feelings about my Kindle Fire HD, 8.9". It's OK. It works. The Fire devices are basically general-purpose mutated-Android tablets, with the software organized and tweaked to make e-reading the primary goal. As an e-reader it works well. It has a typical tablet screen, not readable in full sunlight, not too great outdoors; and typical a-bit-short battery life (claimed eight hours, more like six). I've had it for about three years now. It was a choice between $250 for a Kindle Fire and $600 for an iPad. (My wife has an iPad).

I agree. The kindle is good for reading and watching Amaxon videos, especially when flying.

Pretty much useless for everything else. I prefer to use my note 5 for web surfing and reading bogleheads forum.
I have Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" general purpose tablet, as well as a simple no frills $59 Kindle e-reader.

Those are shortcomings of the Kindle Fire HD or HDX the general purpose tablets, not of a Kindle. The simple Kindle e-reader is excellent, apparently as is the Kindle Paperwhite.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
Pluto9th

Post by Pluto9th »

nisiprius wrote: I don't honestly think I could stand the idea of lugging both a true Kindle eBook and a general-purpose tablet. On a scale of 1-10, I'd give the Kindle Fire about a 7 as an e-reader and maybe a 3 as a general-purpose tablet. It does work more smoothly as an e-reader than running a Kindle app on an iPad, mostly because for whatever reasons (it wasn't always that way) my wife cannot access the Kindle ebook-store or buy titles from within the Kindle app on her iPad.

Anyone with an iPad mini and a Kindle who cares to make a comparison between the two as e-readers? I use my iPad mini's iBook and Kindle app for e-book reading and find it satisfactory enough (don't do much outdoor e-reading). I''ve never had a Kindle though and am sometimes tempted by the Oasis, but I'm not sure if it's worth having yet another gadget around. When out and carrying a bag, I often have the (cellular) iPad mini with me to serve as e-reader/general-purpose tablet, not sure if I'd want to carry both a tablet and a Kindle, light as the Oasis might be.

For the original poster: there are a lot of Amazon pop-up stores out there now, you might want to find if there's one close to you to try out the Kindles. That's how I tried out the Oasis. Oddly the Kindles in the pop-up store I went to all have heavy "lumps" attached to their backs in addition to security cables, so potential shoppers can't really appreciate how light the Oasis is. Apple stores do better than Amazon in securing demo models.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

I don't have a mini but used a regular Ipad instead of my kindle for a while. The difference in eye fatigue is significant. Also, ipads emit a lot of blue light which might lead to problems falling asleep if you read at night. That problem may have been solved with a recent ios upgrade to allow night time change in the light output. (This was not available when I was using the ipad as my erreader.
http://www.cio.com/article/3048224/mobi ... eader.html
Of course the other main thing is it is practically impossible to read an ipad outside, plus the terrible battery life when compared to a kindle.
You can take a quiz to see which one is more suitable for your reading needs.
https://ebookfriendly.com/tablet-or-ere ... tionnaire/

Post by 691175002 »

I purchased a Kindle Paperwhite roughly a year ago but was using it so much I felt a higher end model would be worthwhile. I now use a Kobo Aura One which has nicer finish, a larger screen, and adjustable backlight temperature (which I find critical for reading at night).

Each improvment is incremental on its own, but together the features are absolutely worth their additional cost.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

fortysixandtwo wrote:I was a late comer to the e-reader market, but I also wanted something that was easy on the eyes and didn't have bells and whistles. I went for the base level (non-paperwhite) Kindle. I love it. It has no backlight which was a must for me as I didn't want to stare at anymore glowing screens than I already do. Last time I checked you could not completely turn off the backlight on the paperwhite which might have changed. Also, the base model is only $59.
I apologize for being pedantic, but NO eReaders have a backlight. eInk screens are opaque, and it is not possible to shine a light through them. What the higher-end eReaders do have is a front light. The light is dispersed from the side, and reflected off the screen. They do not "glow" like an LCD screen does. This is an important distinction, particularly given the context you provided. Reading a front-lit device is no more straining than reading a non-lit device (or a paper book) in a well-lit environment (it's usually less straining, because ambient lighting is often imperfect), because the physics of what's happening with the light is the same. The advantage is you can avoid eyestrain in imperfect light.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Pluto9th wrote:Anyone with an iPad mini and a Kindle who cares to make a comparison between the two as e-readers? I use my iPad mini's iBook and Kindle app for e-book reading and find it satisfactory enough (don't do much outdoor e-reading). I''ve never had a Kindle though and am sometimes tempted by the Oasis, but I'm not sure if it's worth having yet another gadget around. When out and carrying a bag, I often have the (cellular) iPad mini with me to serve as e-reader/general-purpose tablet, not sure if I'd want to carry both a tablet and a Kindle, light as the Oasis might be.
My iPad mini is semi-permanently installed in my car, so I don't use it to read. But I have to read probably 8 hours a week on my iPad Air for grad school, which is not enjoyable (and it's not just the content!). As a long-time Kindle user (I got the OG Kindle in 2008), the difference is dramatic. By contrast, reading on my Oasis is an absolute joy. eInk really does make all the difference. I go out of my way to avoid reading books on a computer/tablet/phone, or even on paper.
chw

Post by chw »

DSInvestor wrote:I like the Kindle Paperwhite ($99). Can use it to buy books from Amazon or borrow from library. I also have a Kindle but this model does not have a light. Screen on paperwhite is higher resolution than the kindle.

If looking to travel light and you already have an iPad, you can install the Kindle App on the iPad and read all your kindle content. However, iPad battery life is not as good as the Kindles. You can't read outside with an iPad which you can do with any of the kindle e-readers.
I do this, but.... I use the Overdrive app to download/reserve ebook titles from 3 libraries (1 is largest in the state) I belong to. Try finding other libraries to join as it will expand your ability to find ebook titles for download. I prefer not to buy as many books anymore, and I would say 75% of the time I can get the book I'm looking for immediately or within a reasonable hold period. Also many of the same book can be checked out as audiobooks as well (I do this on my IPad).