Family Hounding me to Purchase SUV or Minivan

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
PlagueOnWheels

Family Hounding me to Purchase SUV or Minivan

Post by PlagueOnWheels »

I have been getting hounded by my family (parents, inlaws, sister in law) for several years about our car situation. My wife and I have two kids (3 and 1). We drive a Honda Accord and Honda Civic. The Accord is 11 years old with 210,000 miles on it. This car is plenty big enough for our small kids, and runs great. The civic is a bit tight, but we rarely go far in that with all four of us at a time. It is a great commuter car, for my 6 mile drive to work each morning.

For YEARS my in-laws, and other family have been telling me:

"you NEED to get a bigger car for those kids. Car seats are so much easier to put in when the vehicle is higher up, stop breaking your back!".

"Your Accord is on its last legs, you should really get a new car" 6 years ago, seriously.

"What are you waiting for, you already have two kids?, You're going to regret not getting a big car sooner!"

Here is the thing, both cars are paid off ( many years ago), and neither have had ANY mechanical issues. I don't see a need for a new car, so we haven't bought one yet. My wife is of the same mindset!

It didn't really bother me at first, but after many YEARS of comments it does get to me. I know it is a topic of discussion behind our backs! I love our family to death, everything is great, but this one issue drives me crazy! Most people in this country are brain washed by car manufacturing marketing! A Honda Accord is a family sedan, perfectly capable of carrying 40 pounds of child in the back seat.
Wellfleet

Re: Family Hounding me to Purchase SUV or Minivan

Post by Wellfleet »

I am confused:
PlagueOnWheels wrote:Ford Fusion! My 2007 has over 220,000. Great car, the 2017's have a beautiful body style.
DayOldTacos

Post by DayOldTacos »

Did you have a specific question or are you just venting? Family will drive you crazy from time to time. Thats why they are called family and not friends :wink:
Topic Author
PlagueOnWheels

Post by PlagueOnWheels »

You figured me out. Changing a few minor details I was hoping to obscure my identity. Accord/Fusion, what does it matter? Pretty much the same thing.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

Just tell them you agree and that it would make a nice birthday or Christmas present but you would like to help them pick it out so it will have all the features that you want.
Naismith

Post by Naismith »

You haven't figured out by now that you will never make everyone happy? So do what works for you.

We had five kids and never bought a mini-van. We rented them for vacations. But we figured out that the cost of a rental versus costs of maintenance etc. did not add up for us.
z91

Post by z91 »

I grew up with my parents owning a 1989 Pontiac Lemans. Small car and mechanically awful. They bought it used in 1990 (I now understand why the original owner sold it so quickly), and kept it for 10 years. I remember getting dropped off at school and seeing smoke come out from the hood, constantly.

We couldn't afford a bigger car, and we didn't need it, honestly. I loved being in that car because it was small. I felt closer to our family and didn't need to yell three rows up to tell them something. We never took a legit road trip in it (longest ride was 2 hours), but it was a half-decent car that worked for us, and your cars should work for you too, OP. My in-laws are also hounding me to buy a minivan, but I own two paid off cars that are working just great with oil changes.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Here is the comeback I would give: if you really think I need a new car, I would be happy to accept such a generous gift. When will you be dropping it off?
STINGRAY75

Post by STINGRAY75 »

You're squirreling away savings for an eventual vehicle replacement and funding your retirement account right? Tell 'em they need / deserve a new family thruster and should pass their 4 year old ride on for the grand kids benefit
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Tell those in your family who are advocating you purchase a new vehicle you haven't the funds available, but if they feel so strongly their contributions to the new car fund would be greatly appreciated.

One time I loaned my SIL $$$ to get her car fixed, then she razzed me for buying a new economical car. NEEDLESS to say I pointed out to her that my financial condition was such that I wasn't having to borrow money for my transportation needs, UNLIKE her. That shut her up. :twisted:

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Topic Author
PlagueOnWheels

Post by PlagueOnWheels »

I like the comeback, good joke. The family will love that one. I'm gonig to use it next time, thanks!

I guess i don't have a question, just venting to some like-minded folks!

The in-laws are considering dumping their current SUV (80,000 miles) because its "getting up there in miles, and might be about time before any major problems happen". I may offer to buy it off of them, then drive it for a decade!
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

Minivan CAN be a nice thing, even with just 2 kids. We had a minivan when our kids were younger, and it was very helpful for group carpools to various events. Being able to drive 5-6 kids meant we didn't need to do the drive as often. Not saying you should dump your existing cars if they suit you, just that there are times when a minivan is very handy (also its large cargo capacity occasionally is a win). Once our kids got older, we ditched the minivan, as it had bad gas mileage, wasn't as fun to drive as a car, and we rarely needed to take that many passengers.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

If they are hounding you, put a large glass jar in a prominent location in your home with a label "New Car Fund, Donations Accepted!" so that they can see it. If they don't come to your house often, then put it in the car when you go see them. Throw a few pennies in to make sure they get the idea of what they are supposed to do.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Sit Tight.
Stick To Your Guns :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
froman118

Post by froman118 »

We bought a Kia Sedona last summer (Jetta TDI got bought back in December) and we really only felt like we needed something bigger in the last year or so with our older child (of 2) turning 5 soon. We do a lot with family and could never take anybody with us which made planning some outings more difficult or impossible (picking up nieces/nephews and going to the park). If you aren't getting to the point where it is inconvenient not having more room then I wouldn't worry about it yet.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

PlagueOnWheels wrote:You figured me out. Changing a few minor details I was hoping to obscure my identity. Accord/Fusion, what does it matter? Pretty much the same thing.
The issue is reliability. Honda is known for it more so than Ford. Search internet for article from last year on, "most least expensive cars to maintain". Toyota/Honda were ranked #1/#2. Don't remember where Ford ranked.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

A great response is "Sounds like you've got a new car itch. You don't need my approval. Heck, I don't plan to change cars for another 10 years".

I've never owned a mini van and all I ever missed out on was being called on to become a limo driver to bring all the kids on the sports team to the game. Sorry....can't do that with my little Subaru Impreza.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

My wife and I drive an Accord and Civic and are pregnant with our first child. No plans to change vehicles.
LateStarter1975

Post by LateStarter1975 »

Just hold your ground. A man with an experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion.
Debt is dangerous...simple is beautiful
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

We bought a Chevrolet Tahoe when our kids were young. Neither of us wanted the stigma of a mini van.

The Tahoe worked out well for us.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

The safety features of a new car are considerably better than an 11 year old car.

Once she got pregnant, I forced my wife to sell her 10 year old Accord and get a new SUV because of the safety features. Also, she drives a lot for work so I didn't want her to get stranded somewhere either.

We got a Hyundai Santa Fe and I spent months negotiating the price, but in my mind it was worth it. She loves it now.
arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan »

Tell them a minivan would be a wonderful gift.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

If you and your spouse don't mind about getting the kids in and out of the back seat, ignore them.

We did sell a smaller car and buy a bigger one to avoid it, but I'm too old and my wife's too small. If you don't mind, good for you!

JT
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse »

munemaker wrote:We bought a Chevrolet Tahoe when our kids were young. Neither of us wanted the stigma of a mini van.

:confused There is a stigma when parents drive a minivan?
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

unclescrooge wrote:The safety features of a new car are considerably better than an 11 year old car.

Once she got pregnant, I forced my wife to sell her 10 year old Accord and get a new SUV because of the safety features. Also, she drives a lot for work so I didn't want her to get stranded somewhere either.

We got a Hyundai Santa Fe and I spent months negotiating the price, but in my mind it was worth it. She loves it now.
+1
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose »

Your family has a strange sense of how to spend their free time. Just ignore it, it's nonsense. If what you're doing works, then keep it up.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.
Onion

Post by Onion »

We have this problem as well, though the complains I have to listen to are due to age (it's old, it's going to have problems) and safety (that car is too small, it's unsafe). While attempting to ignore it is an option, it is aggravating to have to listen to it. I try to change the subject when it comes up. Otherwise, you pay your bills; you can do what you want.
ccieemeritus

Post by ccieemeritus »

Get one of those "my other vehicle is a 401k" license plate holders from Vanguard.
toast0

Post by toast0 »

Da5id wrote:Minivan CAN be a nice thing, even with just 2 kids.
They can be great with only 1 kid too. If you're happy with your current vehicles though, stick with them. If you travel, rent a minivan once or twice to see if you like the general feel of a minivan -- rental minivans will always have condition issues, we rented one with less than 1000 miles on it, but one of the doors was already squeaking; if you like the general idea, you can figure out the specific models you like when you replace a vehicle.
island

Post by island »

Wow what a silly thing to hound you about! Why do they care, are they in the auto biz? :annoyed
If that's what they talk about among themselves how sad is that?

Just tell them to mind their business, you're tired of hearing their opinions about your vehicles. No song and dance or can't afford it BS. Just shut it down. End of story.

BTW "PlagueOnWheels", interesting screen name. Is that what the family calls you when they see you drive up? :twisted:
celia

Post by celia »

OP, Do your relatives live in the Detroit area? When we visit there, they always ask what kind of car we rented. I usually don't know the answer or care. I just know where I parked it.
freebeer

Post by freebeer »

livesoft wrote:If they are hounding you, put a large glass jar in a prominent location in your home with a label "New Car Fund, Donations Accepted!" so that they can see it. If they don't come to your house often, then put it in the car when you go see them. Throw a few pennies in to make sure they get the idea of what they are supposed to do.
Ha! This is a good suggestion EXCEPT that everyone knows you don't seed a tip jar with pennies. In this situation I'd recommend a few $20s or even $100s... :sharebeer
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

sawhorse wrote:
munemaker wrote:We bought a Chevrolet Tahoe when our kids were young. Neither of us wanted the stigma of a mini van.

You must be hopelessly out of touch. Even soccer moms have switched to SUVs to avoid the shame and embarrassment of being seen in a mini van.

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-there-such ... t-minivans
https://www.cars.com/articles/2014/05/m ... -and-well/
http://www.more.com/lifestyle/overcomin ... ng-minivan
http://www.lynetteradio.com/2011/the-st ... -a-minivan
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse »

munemaker wrote:
sawhorse wrote:

You must be hopelessly out of touch. Even soccer moms have switched to SUVs to avoid the shame and embarrassment of being seen in a mini van.

I guess I just don't care enough about how 'cool' people think I am because of what car I drive. Nor do I think of people as 'cool' based on what car they drive. If that means I'm "hopelessly out of touch", I'm not fussed.
blaugranamd

Post by blaugranamd »

Pajamas wrote:Just tell them you agree and that it would make a nice birthday or Christmas present but you would like to help them pick it out so it will have all the features that you want.
This will most certainly shut them up ;-)
-- Don't mistake more funds for more diversity: Total Int'l + Total Market = 7k to 10k stocks -- | -- Market return does NOT = average nor 50th percentile, rather 80-90th percentile long term ---
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

sawhorse wrote:
munemaker wrote:
sawhorse wrote:

I guess I just don't care enough about how 'cool' people think I am because of what car I drive. Nor do I think of people as 'cool' based on what car they drive. If that means I'm "hopelessly out of touch", I'm not fussed.
A lot of people feel that way.
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse »

munemaker wrote:
sawhorse wrote:
munemaker wrote:
sawhorse wrote:

And I think that if more people didn't care about how cool their material goods make them look (not referring to cars specifically), then we wouldn't have such bad personal debt problems in the country. There is generally a positive correlation between price and perceived coolness, though it's certainly not a perfect correlation.

Debt is private, but material goods like cars and clothes and houses are public, so debt is more palatable to a lot of people.

I'm shaking my head that people feel "shame and embarrassment of being seen in a minivan", as you put it. Those are strong words.
Elysium

Post by Elysium »

Just get the darn minivan already :shock: let the kids enjoy road trips and family vacations, they can hold a lot of gear and everyone can stretch out. Your kids will be all grown up in a few years and gone out of your home. Life is not worth struggling with a 200,000+ beat up Accord to feel good about how frugal you are. The purpose of money in life is to get the little things that makes your life and those around you better. If you can do that without breaking your finances, then why not.
jbird11

Post by jbird11 »

To me, this all comes down to the safety of the passengers. If you're comfortable with the safety features your cars provide your young family, then stick to your guns.

Me, personally, I trust my driving, and even my wifes (mostly)...but it's the other crazy texting idiots that I'm concerned with, so I opt for an SUV for my family. http://www.accessmagazine.org/articles/ ... afer-cars/ Plus, living in the midwest, the small sedans aren't that practical in the snow.
researcher

Post by researcher »

Dieharder wrote:Just get the darn minivan already :shock: let the kids enjoy road trips and family vacations, they can hold a lot of gear and everyone can stretch out. Your kids will be all grown up in a few years and gone out of your home. Life is not worth struggling with a 200,000+ beat up Accord to feel good about how frugal you are. The purpose of money in life is to get the little things that makes your life and those around you better. If you can do that without breaking your finances, then why not.
I just don't get posts like this.

"Let the kids enjoy road trips and family vacations"
Are you suggesting that the OP's 1 and 3 year old children are unable to enjoy trips/vacations in anything other than a minivan?

"they can hold a lot of gear"
How much crap are you schlepping around on vacation? Not everyone brings the kitchen sink with them on a road trip. I hope you're not also one of those who fill their garages with useless crap, while leaving the $40K minivan sitting in the driveway.

"everyone can stretch out"
The kids are in carseats! There is no stretching out! Even when they get older, they will be buckled up in their seats.

"Life is not worth struggling with a 200,000+ beat up Accord."
What makes you think they are struggling? And why do you think the car is beat up? If you take care of your vehicles, they will look good and last for a long time. I have an 11 year old Accord (150K miles) and the interior looks brand new. Aside from a bit of road rash, the exterior looks excellent as well.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

sawhorse wrote:
munemaker wrote:
sawhorse wrote:
munemaker wrote:
sawhorse wrote:

And I think that if more people didn't care about how cool their material goods make them look (not referring to cars specifically), then we wouldn't have such bad personal debt problems in the country. There is generally a positive correlation between price and perceived coolness, though it's certainly not a perfect correlation.

Debt is private, but material goods like cars and clothes and houses are public, so debt is more palatable to a lot of people.

I'm shaking my head that people feel "shame and embarrassment of being seen in a minivan", as you put it. Those are strong words.
A lot of people care about their image. I am vacationing at a resort in the Caribbean. At night time events, you see many of the women all made up, some in dresses and high (or very high) heels, and then you see others that just don't care how they look. I think not wanting to be seen in a minivan is just an extension of the image some are trying to project. Also, where my wife works, a lot of people dress up nicely for work, and then there are some who wear outdated clothes and really don't care how they look.

And then there are teen agers. My neighbors had a fairly large family and had a minivan. When the oldest got their drivers' licenses, they would go with friends or even walk rather than be seen in the family mini van. Some people will say "That is good that the kids are not driving your car then." I get that, but that's not what the topic is here; it is about not wanting to be seen in a mini van.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

researcher wrote:
Dieharder wrote:Just get the darn minivan already :shock: let the kids enjoy road trips and family vacations, they can hold a lot of gear and everyone can stretch out. Your kids will be all grown up in a few years and gone out of your home. Life is not worth struggling with a 200,000+ beat up Accord to feel good about how frugal you are. The purpose of money in life is to get the little things that makes your life and those around you better. If you can do that without breaking your finances, then why not.
I just don't get posts like this.

"Let the kids enjoy road trips and family vacations"
Are you suggesting that the OP's 1 and 3 year old children are unable to enjoy trips/vacations in anything other than a minivan?

"they can hold a lot of gear"
How much crap are you schlepping around on vacation? Not everyone brings the kitchen sink with them on a road trip. I hope you're not also one of those who fill their garages with useless crap, while leaving the $40K minivan sitting in the driveway.

"everyone can stretch out"
The kids are in carseats! There is no stretching out! Even when they get older, they will be buckled up in their seats.

"Life is not worth struggling with a 200,000+ beat up Accord."
What makes you think they are struggling? And why do you think the car is beat up? If you take care of your vehicles, they will look good and last for a long time. I have an 11 year old Accord (150K miles) and the interior looks brand new. Aside from a bit of road rash, the exterior looks excellent as well.
This morning, my wife loaded our two kids into our VW Jetta to take to daycare along with over $5k (400+ lbs) of hygiene and household supplies that she is delivering to a shelter in Salt Lake City this afternoon. She started a drive for refugees at her work that was quite successful. Also, there was nothing put in the empty front passenger seat or in the back seat at all (outside of my kids). Strapped in their car seats, my 5 and 2yr olds had enough room to where it was physically impossible for them to even touch anything else. They could not reach to kick the front seats or reach out to even touch each other's hands. This is in a supposed "compact" sedan. Again, I ask, if it is impossible for your two children to even physically touch anything else while in their seats, how is it not enough "elbow room" to be comfortable? And unless you are taking very large or awkward items such as bikes and jogging strollers, what exactly are you regularly traveling with that can't fit in nearly 16 cubic feet of trunk space?

The rest of the world is laughing at American's perceived "need" of space, in both our cars and homes. As I mentioned in the other similar thread, they all produce special "minivan" models for North America which are significantly largely than the family haulers they sell to the rest of the world.
Atgard

Post by Atgard »

While there is some truth that newer cars are generally safer than older cars, SUVs (on high truck frames) are generally less safe than cars or minivans (on lower car frames). So people telling you to ditch an old car for a new SUV for "safety" reasons probably do not work for the IIHS or NHTSA.

Also, many people telling you to buy a new car are simply uncomfortable with their own spending habits, when they see someone frugal and happily driving an older car it shatters their "but I NEEDED a new car, the old one was probably going to break down soon, be unsafe, spontaneously combust, etc." So it's a form of projection; they will feel better about their own purchase if they see everyone doing the same thing.

Finally, there is no right answer for what type/age/brand of car for everyone, hence why they make & sell a lot of different ones. We did jump to the minivan (Honda Odyssey) and generally like it a lot -- as others have said, it's reliable, drives like a car, and is convenient when needing to take the kids + grandparents around or pick people & luggage up at the airport, etc. On the other hand, I would have been perfectly happy getting a large car like an Avalon or whatever. (My wife had a smaller car, and it was just too tight to fit my 6' 2" self plus carseats in the back, let alone all the kid stuff we seemingly take everywhere.) (And my current car is 16 years old.)

If you are happy with your current car, the carseats fit, there's enough room in the trunk for your stuff, it's reliable, etc., then certainly don't buy something new just because others tell you to. Yeah, if you can afford it, a new (or newer) car might make sense for safety reasons or whatever, but certainly not a necessity. And if you're happy in a sedan, I'm sure you can survive just fine with another sedan (if you choose to buy a newer one).
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

island wrote:Wow what a silly thing to hound you about! Why do they care, are they in the auto biz? :annoyed
If that's what they talk about among themselves how sad is that?

Just tell them to mind their business, you're tired of hearing their opinions about your vehicles. No song and dance or can't afford it BS. Just shut it down. End of story.

BTW "PlagueOnWheels", interesting screen name. Is that what the family calls you when they see you drive up? :twisted:
+1

Tell them to either to stop the nagging or buy you the new vehicle.
Flashes1

Post by Flashes1 »

My wife and I are not "minivan" people, so we bought a new Explorer which has treated our family well. If the inlaws are concerned that the high mileage car is not safe, then I can understand their point of view. If it's just they look down on Japanese cars, then that's their business and the OP should just ignore it.
jrbdmb

Post by jrbdmb »

munemaker wrote:
sawhorse wrote:

I always figured the stigma was attached to the poor SUV that's never been off of asphalt. :mrgreen:
And to be honest, SUVs are looking more and more like minivans every year and have lost most of he features that made them "SUVs" in the first place.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Some of us never grow up and have to have offroad capability just to go to the mall. Mine's the white one.

Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Do what you want. I got a minivan at 4 kids, and it's been a joy. For 3, I'm not sure it would have mattered, and for 2 I definitely wouldn't. Overall, a minivan (or SUV) is WAY more expensive than a sedan. Everything about them costs more. (Purchase price, as well as gas, brakes, tires, exhaust, etc.)
bardenay

Post by bardenay »

In 1982 our family of five, two adults and three teenagers, drove from Chicago to Key West Florida for vacation.
...In August.
...In a manual transmission 1980 Dodge Omni.
...Vinyl seats.
...No A/C.
...No radio.
...No power steering. No power brakes.

I loved that trip!
Lots of good memories. (I had a book of "Elephant Jokes" that my sisters paid me $0.25/hr to NOT tell them! :D )

A few years ago I laughingly asked my father some variation of, "what were you thinking?" He said that it was our newest and most reliable car so it made sense to take that one.

My point in the story is that what you have today certainly meets the need. You don't need to rush out and get a new car. When it is time for the next car, certainly consider a MiniVan or SUV at that time. In the meantime, tell your family that you are certainly willing to accept a MiniVan or SUV that they purchase for you. :happy

Not the actual car, but same year and color:

randomguy

Post by randomguy »

Atgard wrote:While there is some truth that newer cars are generally safer than older cars, SUVs (on high truck frames) are generally less safe than cars or minivans (on lower car frames). So people telling you to ditch an old car for a new SUV for "safety" reasons probably do not work for the IIHS or NHTSA.
Care to point to any studies in the last 5 or so years that support your view point? It was true in the late 90s/early 00s but as the SUV craze took off, the safety numbers improved dramatically. Every study that I have seen since ESC came out suggests the SUV/Crossover is safer than the equivalent car. It isn't by much. The large gaps are when you compare dramatically different cars (escalade to focus) and not similiar ones (say accord to CRV).