Climate and happiness revisited

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Jazztonight

Re: Climate and happiness revisited

Post by Jazztonight » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:04 am

It's difficult to fantasize about such things as moving when you are the only person in the family who thinks it's a great idea. Why torture yourself? Even if you moved to Disneyland, your wife or kids would not be happy with something. Also, you are talking about real expensive living and culture shock.

DW and I were recently in Mexico on the beach for two weeks. Very few Americans; mostly Canadian snowbirds thawing out. Some of them live there six months of the year. But they are retired. You are not, it seems.

I moved from the Northeast US to N. California, mostly for the climate, and I am very, very happy here. But my kids and their families live in MD and OH. We all pay some kind of price for our decisions.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche

catdude

Post by catdude » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:29 am

A couple things come to mind...

When I moved to central Oregon a few years ago, my brother told me that there are two seasons here -- "Winter" and "August". Perhaps the same is true in Fargo?

Also, many years ago an old family friend -- who had spent many years in North Dakota -- said to me, "The only thing between North Dakota and the North Pole is a barbed wire fence."

:)
catdude | | “The holy passion of Friendship is of so sweet and steady and loyal and enduring a nature that it will last through a whole lifetime, if not asked to lend money.” (Mark Twain)

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:52 am

Finding the perfect place to live is always a challenge. I live in Honolulu but jobs that pay well are few and far between, housing is very high, as is the general cost of living. We do have nice temperate weather most of the year--we consider 60s and 70s COLD. 2we do have high humidity and volcanic emissions that circulate through the islands via tradewinds.

We are in the path of hurricanes periodically and since we are so low-lying and surrounded by ocean, in danger of tsunamis and rising sea levels from global warming.

I think one always has to weigh the pros and cons of different places and then have a prolonged visit to best assess how well moving is likely to work out for them.

Sophia1884

Post by Sophia1884 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:33 am

MI_bogle wrote:Heck we had an outdoor yard party last February in the snow, it was a blast

Off topic but this sounds like fun!....everything goes dead where we are in Feb. How did you do it/organize it? I worry about the heat with everyone going in and out even though I suspect most people would avoid being out...but then, if most people are inside, what's the point of doing an "outside" party?

why3not

Post by why3not » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:31 am

I followed a job from a cold northern climate to a warm southern climate. I didn't move for the weather, but after a couple of decades in the south, the only way I would consider chasing a job in the north is if it were 10x or more my current salary. And maybe not then. Life (to me) is much better with more sunshine & year round outdoor dining/living.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:16 am

why3not wrote:I followed a job from a cold northern climate to a warm southern climate. I didn't move for the weather, but after a couple of decades in the south, the only way I would consider chasing a job in the north is if it were 10x or more my current salary. And maybe not then. Life (to me) is much better with more sunshine & year round outdoor dining/living.

+1
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:19 am

Jazztonight wrote:It's difficult to fantasize about such things as moving when you are the only person in the family who thinks it's a great idea. Why torture yourself? Even if you moved to Disneyland, your wife or kids would not be happy with something. Also, you are talking about real expensive living and culture shock.

DW and I were recently in Mexico on the beach for two weeks. Very few Americans; mostly Canadian snowbirds thawing out. Some of them live there six months of the year. But they are retired. You are not, it seems.

I moved from the Northeast US to N. California, mostly for the climate, and I am very, very happy here. But my kids and their families live in MD and OH. We all pay some kind of price for our decisions.

I agree with you. I am not the only person in the family thinking about it. I think the others don't take moving as a serious option. People don't move. Do they?

We are having some good conversations. The oldest is looking at colleges around our desired area. Of course, all her friends will be attending local colleges in the area. There is no rule that we need to live close to her or vice versa. But, we would like to stay within a few hours of each other after college. Both sets of our parents are retired. I think a move from us could inspire some other moves. But I would not bank on anything like that.

Thanks for all the good comments and ideas.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:22 am

catdude wrote:A couple things come to mind...

When I moved to central Oregon a few years ago, my brother told me that there are two seasons here -- "Winter" and "August". Perhaps the same is true in Fargo?

Also, many years ago an old family friend -- who had spent many years in North Dakota -- said to me, "The only thing between North Dakota and the North Pole is a barbed wire fence."

:)

We do have a short but very nice summer. Fargo hasn't hit 100 degrees for quite a few years now. We do get some 80s and 90s. The second half of June through the first have of September is very nice. Outside of that window, you just never know. We frequently get light snow and 30s in May. It can start freezing the second half of September (but often doesn't).

This morning was 9 with a stiff wind (-5 wind chill). They said in 2014 the high was -10 on March 2nd. Could be worse.

johnnyc321

Post by johnnyc321 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:29 am

I live in SWFL and feel like half the year it is too hot to be outside. Winter is great though.

just frank

Post by just frank » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:40 am

Easy...move to Philly. Far enough North that you get 4 seasons, but the winter is mild. We get some snow but it melts in a couple days.

I've lived in Boston, Chicago and LA, but Philly has the best weather hands down.

You get big city amenities at some of the cheapest RE prices on the East Coast. And if you want something Philly can't provide, Manhattan and DC are just a two hour drive away.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:45 am

Sure, move somehwere nicer for nicer weather. Life is short. Just don't expect perfection, there will always be something. We left the great weather of SoCal because of the traffic, crime, and cost of living. No regrets even though it rained 10 inches and 23 days in February.

We have mostly figured out how to recreate outside year-round. Skiing and snowshoeing in the mountains in the winter, and hiking even when it is damp though not necessarily pouring. There are still plenty of weeks when it is just too wet to go outside but those are measured in weeks, not months. And November and February are great times for a vacation to somewhere like... Hawaii!

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:47 am

johnnyc321 wrote:I live in SWFL and feel like half the year it is too hot to be outside. Winter is great though.

Hot weather isn't optimal for some activities. That is true. It has never been too hot to take the garbage can out. But it is frequently so cold that I have to fully bundle up to walk the garbage can down to the end of the driveway. Or too cold in the garage so we just set the bag just inside the garage because it is too cold to walk it over to the main can. :oops:

Also, when it is too hot you don't have to get up at 5:30 in the morning to snowblow 2 foot snow drifts for over an hour and then go to work.

Everything is relative I guess. Some people absolutely love below zero weather and shoveling snow and snowblowing for hours. Maybe I forgot and I loved it in my 20s. :wink:

MI_bogle

Post by MI_bogle » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:51 am

Sophia1884 wrote:
MI_bogle wrote:Heck we had an outdoor yard party last February in the snow, it was a blast

Off topic but this sounds like fun!....everything goes dead where we are in Feb. How did you do it/organize it? I worry about the heat with everyone going in and out even though I suspect most people would avoid being out...but then, if most people are inside, what's the point of doing an "outside" party?

Had a chimnaea going with a fire outside on the patio. Smoked a pork butt and some baked beans. Cleaned up the garage and used a couple portable heaters to get it up to low 50s in temp maybe

Had all the food/drinks/whatever in the garage, everybody wore winter clothes. Nobody went inside the house except to go for the bathroom

MastersChampion

Post by MastersChampion » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:13 am

You are not alone. I live in the Chicago area and almost every winter I wonder what the heck we're doing here.
I decided the bigger net benefit would be to not uproot the family rather than move to a more enjoyable climate. I know others that have moved and seem to have done it successfully, so I may have been wrong. :(

However, the light is at the end of the tunnel. When the kids are gone, we are too.
We make an effort to enjoy our friends now and the things that this area does offer, knowing that we might miss them after we move.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:05 pm

Winter gets less tolerable as you get older. Vacationing in the southern USA in January makes the rest of the winter more bearable.
OTOH, summers are unbearable in Florida and Arizona, so you could vacation in July to northern states to escape.
I don't think owning two places is worth it with the airbnb and vrbo options you can go somewhere new every year.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:35 pm

I can think of no other topic that just totally depends on the person,as is clearly shown here as you read the responses.
For me the climate I live in now at 65 is very important to how I feel.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:29 pm

It would take more than the climate to make me unhappy--within reasonable parameters, of course.

But if I were unhappy with where I lived, I would be making plans to go somewhere else. Life is far too short to spend years somewhere that you don't like.

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:48 am

tennisplyr wrote:Retired mid sixties and just moved to FL this year. Having spent my entire life outside of NYC I thought it was time for a big change. Love it here, just got back from a sunny day at the beach. Yesterday I played tennis with friends, tomorrow on my team. Love it, love it, love it. The weather allows us to be outside virtually all of the time and that suits us just fine! PS, plenty of folks here from the Midwest and northeast.

March in FL is great but July?? For me, the summer heat is a much greater problem than winter cold. Not to mention geckos and the like. Nature provides for all sorts of pleasures, to each his/her own.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:32 am

Midpack wrote:Unless it's really windy, anything above 20F is tolerable to me, anything above 40F is even better, and I hate being cooped up inside too. But obviously we all have different expectations regarding climate, that's one reason we live all over the world. Lots of people who ski, snowboard, snowshoe, snowmobile look forward to winter. Some people hate hot and humid. If you don't like where you're at, cultivate activities that better fit your climate or move. But unless you can afford to live in SoCal, you're going to have to face too hot, too humid, too cold, too much ice & snow, too overcast/rainy or something part of the year wherever you are.

I'm a stayer in the Midwest. I agree with Midpack. If it's > 20 degrees, it's warm enough for outdoor activities. Long underwear, wool socks, a parka, and a proper hat make a huge difference. Snow tires on the car get me around without issue. Spend a few hundred on decent gear, and winter is not much of a problem. Winters here have been much more mild. It's been seventeen years since we had what I'd consider a "bad" winter.

I have some great memories of winter here. I can relate to people that dislike it though, as once February rolls around, I'm getting tired of it, every single year.

Soul.in.Progress

Post by Soul.in.Progress » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:18 am

We did the move for better weather, exactly for the reasons you described. From a state with very very similar climate as yours. It took awhile to reach that decision, but once we did and settled in a much warmer state, let me tell you: Best.Damn.Life.Decision.Ever.

Now, some other details:
- We were approx age 40, and oldest child was not yet in middle school. Elementary age or younger I think is an easier timeframe for change on kids, if you have any.
- Also, we had no family where we used to live, so we didn't have family roots keeping us in our original location.

Although I knew we would like the warmer climate, I had underestimated the positivity that the warmer climate--and th greenery that often accompanies it--could have on our daily happiness. Or said another way, I hadn't realized how our happiness had been held back in that previously gray and cold climate. YMMV though, as some people are just fine in the cold.

I wish you the best in your decision, OP!
Start by doing what is necessary; | then do what is possible; | and suddenly you are doing the impossible. | -- Francis of Assisi

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:10 pm

I live also in the North. I think any day above 40 dgrs is beautiful, except when it gets above 84 and is humid. We have 3 days coming in the 50s, followed by highs in the 40s - wonderful weather. Your landscape needs snow in the deep winter to protect roots of plants. Rain once in a while in summer is also great, keeps plants alive.
At one local gas station and convenience store they had a hot dog barbecue outside at 35 dgrs. Life goes on in the cold - I bought 2 and ate them at frozen-again-over river.
Last edited by likegarden on Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:27 pm

Soul.in.Progress wrote:We did the move for better weather, exactly for the reasons you described. From a state with very very similar climate as yours. It took awhile to reach that decision, but once we did and settled in a much warmer state, let me tell you: Best.Damn.Life.Decision.Ever.

Now, some other details:
- We were approx age 40, and oldest child was not yet in middle school. Elementary age or younger I think is an easier timeframe for change on kids, if you have any.
- Also, we had no family where we used to live, so we didn't have family roots keeping us in our original location.

Although I knew we would like the warmer climate, I had underestimated the positivity that the warmer climate--and th greenery that often accompanies it--could have on our daily happiness. Or said another way, I hadn't realized how our happiness had been held back in that previously gray and cold climate. YMMV though, as some people are just fine in the cold.

I wish you the best in your decision, OP!

Well said. Thanks for your perspective.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:29 pm

likegarden wrote:I live also in the North. I think any day above 40 dgrs is beautiful, except when it gets above 84 and is humid. We have 3 days coming in the 50s, followed by highs in the 40s - wonderful weather. Your landscape needs snow in the deep winter to protect roots of plants. Rain once in a while in summer is also great, keeps plants alive.

Do you have wind? Like wind? We have a few days coming in the 50s. The wind is supposed to be 30+ on those days.

Not only is it cold, it is very windy except for July/August. Not every day, but enough that if we have a low wind day we notice it.

50 with no wind is certainly a different animal from 50 with 20-30 mph wind.

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:43 pm

With air conditioning, central heat, indoor plumbing, electricity, internet and 4 wheel drive cars, does it really matter where you live?

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:48 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:With air conditioning, central heat, indoor plumbing, electricity, internet and 4 wheel drive cars, does it really matter where you live?

Depends whether you like spending time outdoors. One issue if weather is very hot/ humid or very cold is that you may just not spend much time outside. (I am aware people do live in the tropics-- perhaps even the majority of human beings. Nonetheless in North American terms the big migration into the Sun Belt states is associated with the widespread availability of cheap air conditioning, beginning in the late 1930s. That seemed to allow migration into the SE states, and also the desert states. Hard to imagine big populations in Phoenix or Las Vegas without AC).

The longest lived people in the world seem to live on Greek and Italian islands-- Mediterranean climate. And they walk every day (either up or downhill to the village centre, and back).

So that's my guess at the "best" climate for human beings. I am increasingly convinced that the absence of regular UV light exposure on the NW of England and in Scotland is quite bad for the human being- - Vitamin D deficiency but worse stuff, probably. Auto immune diseases.

Unfortunately that's not a new discovery in the USA-- ask any Californian whether there are too many people in California ;-).

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:55 pm

ClevrChico wrote:
Midpack wrote:Unless it's really windy, anything above 20F is tolerable to me, anything above 40F is even better, and I hate being cooped up inside too. But obviously we all have different expectations regarding climate, that's one reason we live all over the world. Lots of people who ski, snowboard, snowshoe, snowmobile look forward to winter. Some people hate hot and humid. If you don't like where you're at, cultivate activities that better fit your climate or move. But unless you can afford to live in SoCal, you're going to have to face too hot, too humid, too cold, too much ice & snow, too overcast/rainy or something part of the year wherever you are.

I'm a stayer in the Midwest. I agree with Midpack. If it's > 20 degrees, it's warm enough for outdoor activities. Long underwear, wool socks, a parka, and a proper hat make a huge difference. Snow tires on the car get me around without issue. Spend a few hundred on decent gear, and winter is not much of a problem. Winters here have been much more mild. It's been seventeen years since we had what I'd consider a "bad" winter.

I have some great memories of winter here. I can relate to people that dislike it though, as once February rolls around, I'm getting tired of it, every single year.

The problem in such places (I grew up in Canada) is that in the USA people can move away.

I am familiar with this phenomenon in Upstate NY. One of my close friends loved living in Rochester NY with his young family, but they are now in a suburb in the SF Bay Area (he works in the technology industry).

As people move, the remaining people have to cover the costs of the physical and social infrastructure (schools etc.) on a shrinking population base-- and so you get rising property taxes, rising taxes in general.

US Midwest has low housing prices but are generally high cost of living?

It may be with changing weather patterns we see a reversal of this, but for the time being, the issue of population aging and static is a very serious one. As key employers move or close down (the inevitable process of economic change-- think Kodak or Polaroid in Upstate NY) there's not much left to support the social bills.

Canada has less of an issue. Immigration is generally higher, and although there are plenty of "Snowbirds" most Canadians tend to stick close to home even as they age (in particular to qualify for provincial healthcare which is generally free at point of dispense and has universal cover), also to be close to friends and family. We don't find it as easy to just "up sticks and move" the way Americans do to Arizona or Florida, say.

Unfortunately one can't see the hope for a say a big influx into Dearborn MI from outside the US, so it's difficult for the more northern states to turn the demographics.

praxis

Post by praxis » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:01 pm

I grew up in Fargo.

I love the city and the people. Summer is very nice when it's sunny. When I tell people I'm from Fargo, they always say one of three things:
1. where? 2. It's cold there 3. Have you seen the movie?

I left the Great White North because of the long, cold winters. I did not have a family to consider. Just myself. Easy decision for me.

I have lived in many places in the southern half of the US. Tolerating the heat is not as hard for me as tolerating the cold up north.

My dear friends and family that still live in Fargo and northern MN shrug it off. They snowmobile and ice fish and snowplow their driveways and send photos of the icicles in their beards. I downhill ski in CO many days every winter. It's just not as cold there. And there are lots of sunny days.

Moving your family to a new place to find better weather is a daunting task. I might invite all of them on a midwinter vacation to a warm place and listen to their feedback.

Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:44 pm

My husband and I stayed in Fargo last summer on our way driving across the country. It was a lovely town and unbearably hot! We had dinner reservations outside and we had to leave early we were so uncomfortable. People were very nice though and the town had a quirky hipster vibe that I wasn't expecting.

vitaflo

Post by vitaflo » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:29 pm

As someone who lives in the upper Midwest (MN) I can relate but I think there are a few things that can make winters better. One is to have indoor hobbies. I play a musical instrument (drums, see avatar). I spend a lot of time in the winter making music for example.

In the summer I have different hobbies, mostly gardening and the like. The drums don't get played as much then. In some ways I like this as it means I don't get bored of any one hobby, and look forward to the season change when I get back into something else.

The other thing I've found really helped was purchasing a house with a lot of south facing windows. Winters up here tend to have a good number of sunny days, and having the sunlight engulf your house is really nice during the winter time. Plus it saves on heating costs (sun heat is free).

There was a time when we lived in a townhouse that faced north (no direct sunlight, can't play drums in a townhouse, no place to garden). That made winters absolutely brutal and depressing. You might not have to move someplace warm, you might just need to move to a place that lets do more year round in the same area you currently are at.

ReadyOrNot

Post by ReadyOrNot » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:53 pm

You may try some of the advice on how to make winters more enjoyable.
But only you can tell how much climate affects you.
Some people just are much more sensitive to long winter nights or lack of sunshine.
Lack of sun and lots of overcast days don't seem to stop most people from flooding into the Pacific Northwest,
but there are lots of people who just have a hard time with the lack of sun, and are much happier in sunny parts of the US.
You will have to judge for yourself how much it bothers you. Sometimes it is worth moving over.

celia

Post by celia » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:12 pm

Sorry I haven't been posting much 'cause I've been working in our gardens. :) I end up bringing a lot of dirt inside, then have to clean.

Be careful what you wish for. We've had neighbors who hated the lack of "weather" (and relatives) and moved back home.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:25 pm

Not exactly the question you are asking, but:

We are currently vacationing in Jamaica. The people here are mostly poor by US standards, but seem to be very happy. I am guessing it may have something to do with climate.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:22 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:With air conditioning, central heat, indoor plumbing, electricity, internet and 4 wheel drive cars, does it really matter where you live?

If you only want to be inside. Then no.

alamander

Post by alamander » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:25 pm

Alexa9 wrote:Winter gets less tolerable as you get older. Vacationing in the southern USA in January makes the rest of the winter more bearable.

Right, I agree; although when I was younger I didn't understand why people moved south because they were "fed up" with cold/snow. Now, however, it is clear that there is an effect on psychology: one is just less willing to put up with it and it really does effect how one feels.

More specifically, I am wondering whether we are built to live where days get so short in the winter and long in the summer. Maybe 12/12 light/dark all year long is better for human psychological well-being. So Ecuador, for example. I have been in Sweden in the summer when the sun basically does not set. It was awful. So my humble theory is we are built for something approaching 12/12. In our case it means moving (since the nest is empty) from upstate NY to southern TX. Obviously, YMMV.

Thanks.

health teacher

Post by health teacher » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:36 pm

I've been following along and already thrown in my .02, but bloom.. if you can go, go! Buck up and make it happen; otherwise, hang in there for another month or two and enjoy summer. If the thought of hanging in there is too much to handle, then that's all the info you need. You'll never know unless you try.

EddyB

Post by EddyB » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:39 pm

My climate is pretty similar to what's being complained about, but when I went skiing with my kids today, I was glad that it was very accessible. I'm not convinced it's the climate that's such a problem.

srt7

Post by srt7 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:47 pm

bloom2708 wrote:This is a spin off of a current thread about being close to financial independence and feeling miserable.

We live in an area where 7 months of the year the average high temperature is below 60 F. 2 of the other 5 months can be decent or can be less than stellar. Work, sleep, eating take up a good chunk of our precious time. 7/12th of the year the "free" time is essentially spent indoors.

I'd like to hear from people that moved because of climate/weather. On the flip side, many stay in climates that are not great for large chunks of the year. How do you compensate?

Hobbies and exercise. We have a treadmill and spin bike. I like to read (sedentary). Should I try to be the "best TV watcher I can be?" As I get older I feel I'm being duped. Where I live is perfect for one thing. Working all the time.

What am I missing?

Excellent and timely post for me. I have somewhat of the same problem except I am trying to escape Texas summers. After reading through all the posts here, it sounds like one just has to pick their poison (hot vs. cold) and most people who've lived in both environments would pick hot over cold.

srt7

Post by srt7 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:50 pm

This is exactly what I've been telling myself for almost two decades and it's worked out pretty good for me (as someone working long hours indoor in IT field). But when I see the kids holing up indoors instead of getting busy with outdoor activities, it makes me wonder if all that technology helped or hurt my decision to stay put for so long.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:14 pm

TheGreyingDuke wrote:
tennisplyr wrote:Retired mid sixties and just moved to FL this year. Having spent my entire life outside of NYC I thought it was time for a big change. Love it here, just got back from a sunny day at the beach. Yesterday I played tennis with friends, tomorrow on my team. Love it, love it, love it. The weather allows us to be outside virtually all of the time and that suits us just fine! PS, plenty of folks here from the Midwest and northeast.

March in FL is great but July?? For me, the summer heat is a much greater problem than winter cold. Not to mention geckos and the like. Nature provides for all sorts of pleasures, to each his/her own.

July/August in NY is no bargain. I look at life as having tons of very good options rather than a series of problems that I can't avoid.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:23 pm

I have lived in ND/MN and moving to CO has increased my happiness in ways I can't quantify. So, I moved to combat the winter weather to a four season climate: I'll repeat part of another post I made regarding Denver "We get four seasons of weather - sometimes in a single day. It's currently 66 degrees, and we will have high temps ranging from 42 to 75 next week, depending on the day of the week." I know CO is too cold for some people and that's okay, but it's NOTHING like the cold I experienced in ND/MN.

I'm an outdoor/nature lover though and was never happy with gloomy weather and indoor activities 10 months of the year (8 months winter, 2 months mosquitoes.) So yes, I moved for climate and happiness and don't regret it.

heyyou

Post by heyyou » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:38 pm

Consider where altitude modifies latitude. The high country of Arizona has a sunny, four seasons climate. When visiting other places, look at what cooling systems are on the roofs of the houses, and look for sun rooms, as clues about what seasons need the most temperature modification.

Wildebeest

Post by Wildebeest » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:47 pm

I agree.

I would like to add:

I live in the Mid Atlantic and I would not want to live anywhere else. I can imagine living anywhere where it is not green 9 months out of the year. I love the winter, spring, and fall and summer ( if it not over 85 degrees and the humidity is reaching 100 %, and I can not imagine how people managed before air conditioning). Unless I ski, I do not even have a winter coat.

I do not even own an umbrella anymore. Am I happy where I live?

Tremendously.

Do we go in winter to the Caribbean when by chance the skies darken and it may be cold outside. Sure. But often I may stay out of the sun and retreat to the air conditioning.

I love the green rolling hills, mountains, the change of seasons etc. Travelling just reminds me how good home is.
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:46 pm

heyyou wrote:Consider where altitude modifies latitude. The high country of Arizona has a sunny, four seasons climate. When visiting other places, look at what cooling systems are on the roofs of the houses, and look for sun rooms, as clues about what seasons need the most temperature modification.

I like that... "altitude modifies latitude"

I like the weather in flagstaff

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:33 pm

Bitter cold, ice, snow, sleet, gray overcast sky, cold rain, etc. for months on end. I think it is wonderful that so many folks love the North and its cold weather activities and climate. There are way too many people moving to the South.

GraduateStudent

Post by GraduateStudent » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:49 pm

bloom2708 wrote:We live in an area where 7 months of the year the average high temperature is below 60 F.

60 F isn't even cold! You could start running... the fastest marathons are run at about 45F!

Seriously, though, life is too short to hate where you live. Lot's of people hate the cold. You don't need to ask our permission to relocate.
Life after grad school is great.

camillus

Post by camillus » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:55 pm

I live in Michigan. None of you receive less sunlight than I do. Sometimes, it really gets to you. With me, I get grouchy with my family and want to lay around on the couch and read bogleheads.org. When the sun comes out, I become euphoric. It's true. When the sun comes out we are all so happy that we usually go out for dinner and drive around. I buy my wife flowers.

So that's kind of bleak.

I also wanted to share that along with nerf guns I definitely recommend powerwheels. My 2 year old son is proficient at driving around on the snowy sidewalks. We especially like to drive around in blizzards. Getting all of our snow gear on usually takes some 20 minutes though. We had an epic snow fort earlier this season - taller than him by 150%. He really liked it. His powerwheel is a John Deere Gator that can haul snow bricks.

Lovely Rita

How is this actionable?

Post by Lovely Rita » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:00 am

I am not getting how this thread goes on, while others got closed with this message:
Note that topics must be directly connected to your (or your friend's or family's) life as a consumer. General comments or complaints about these topics will be locked or removed.

Note that this subforum has a much lower threshold for locking or removing post

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:05 am

The proverbial grass might seem to be greener in the warmer climates, but keep in mind how much of that is weeds instead of grass....

But perhaps my mindset is too focused on the care of a yard in a warmer climate since I just spent the afternoon getting the weeds on my lot under control. The weeds always starts up in February, but the rains this year have made it much worse. Two green waste bins later and I'm only halfway through the weed control task (then on to the shrubbery trimming). I really should extend the gardening service to have them do the backyard too.

bloom2708

Re: How is this actionable?

Post by bloom2708 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:29 am

Lovely Rita wrote:I am not getting how this thread goes on, while others got closed with this message:
Note that topics must be directly connected to your (or your friend's or family's) life as a consumer. General comments or complaints about these topics will be locked or removed.

Note that this subforum has a much lower threshold for locking or removing post

I and I hope others are getting good benefit from the responses. If you do not get any benefit from this thread, then view the 100s of other threads. If it is time to be locked, someone will do it.

Thanks all for the responses.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:35 am

camillus wrote:I live in Michigan. None of you receive less sunlight than I do. Sometimes, it really gets to you. With me, I get grouchy with my family and want to lay around on the couch and read bogleheads.org. When the sun comes out, I become euphoric. It's true. When the sun comes out we are all so happy that we usually go out for dinner and drive around. I buy my wife flowers.

So that's kind of bleak.

I also wanted to share that along with nerf guns I definitely recommend powerwheels. My 2 year old son is proficient at driving around on the snowy sidewalks. We especially like to drive around in blizzards. Getting all of our snow gear on usually takes some 20 minutes though. We had an epic snow fort earlier this season - taller than him by 150%. He really liked it. His powerwheel is a John Deere Gator that can haul snow bricks.

Our oldest received a Barbie Power Wheels car at age 3. She is now 17 and the 3rd kid is on the verge of not fitting in it any longer. We are on the second set of tires and 3rd battery. If it was a real car it would have well over 100,000 miles. :D

I think to summarize, I feel like we are "waiting for nice weather" 7+ months of the year. Paused. Yes, we can distract ourselves. Bundle up and go out in the snow for a couple hours. We spend $7,500+ on a 1 week vacation somewhere warm to escape the cold. I run outside when it is cold and slippery. In general, we are sedentary people who are inside 98% of the time 7+ months of the year. Then we attempt to pack a year of activity into 3 reasonably nice months. No easy answer. Different things work for different people. Great to hear different perspectives. :sharebeer