Caribbean vacation with 3 kids

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mancich

Caribbean vacation with 3 kids

Post by mancich »

Hello all,

DW and I would like to take our three girls (5,9, and 14) on a nice vacation to the Caribbean later this year. Probably early summer, right after school gets out in late June. We are looking for a family-friendly all-inclusive that also has activities for the kids. We are looking to go for about a week, and flying out of the metro NY area (JFK unfortunately, since LGA has no direct non-stop flight to the Caribbean). Beaches resort in Turks looks fantastic, but also fantastically expensive. Would like to come in at $8,500 or less for the trip, including airfare. I have tried several sites, such as CheapCaribbean.com, and will talk to a travel agent as welL. Will consider Mexico if we have to, or DR, but not for our first choices. I will continue to research, but didn't know if anyone had done something similar and could offer advice on location and/or resort brand.

Thanks
abonder

Re: Caribbean vacation with 3 kids

Post by abonder »

I think it really depends on what you are looking for. Weve never been the all inclusive types, but many find it to be satisfying. There is the simplicity of knowing your costs up front.

We've always enjoy house/villa rentals. Certain areas have staffed villas - it can be surprisingly cost-effective if you find the right place for your needs. Unparalleled privacy. Feels more personal than a hotel vacation, but that's just our own take on it. Honestly, we've found the best deals to be with a larger group. Win just 5 people it might not be as cost-effective.

Just a thought.
Topic Author
mancich

Post by mancich »

Thanks , we will look into that as well
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Sounds like a cruise.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

Try Atlantis in Bahamas. Lots to do especially for the older kids.
invst65

Post by invst65 »

mancich wrote:Hello all,

DW and I would like to take our three girls (5,9, and 14) on a nice vacation to the Caribbean later this year. Probably early summer, right after school gets out in late June. We are looking for a family-friendly all-inclusive that also has activities for the kids. We are looking to go for about a week, and flying out of the metro NY area (JFK unfortunately, since LGA has no direct non-stop flight to the Caribbean). Beaches resort in Turks looks fantastic, but also fantastically expensive. Would like to come in at $8,500 or less for the trip, including airfare. I have tried several sites, such as CheapCaribbean.com, and will talk to a travel agent as welL. Will consider Mexico if we have to, or DR, but not for our first choices. I will continue to research, but didn't know if anyone had done something similar and could offer advice on location and/or resort brand.

Thanks
I've been on at least 7 Caribbean vacations, as far as I can remember right now, all of them cruises. It's a good way to see a lot of different places but the only drawback is that you don't get to spend much time in one place. Places I've always thought I wanted to go back to and spend some time were Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, especially St. Johns. For your family, a Disney Cruise might be nice though maybe a little pricey. One nice thing about a cruise is that there is lots of stuff to do on the ship for all ages so nobody will get bored. And you don't have to plan the itinerary except for the shore excursions.
aqan

Post by aqan »

Thesues wrote:Try Atlantis in Bahamas. Lots to do especially for the older kids.
Isn't Atlantis very expensive?
Topic Author
mancich

Post by mancich »

I would consider a cruise but my wife is cruise-phobic :annoyed
Atlantis does look great, though pricey. I definitely am not trying to cheap out here, nor do I want to go to the other extreme; just looking for a Boglehead middle ground where get the best value. Thanks for the responses, the research continues, :beer
rralex1

Post by rralex1 »

Sounds like you are going to have a great time. If it's an all inclusive that you require it will limit you in some ways as you are discovering. Of course MX and the DR have a tremendous number of all inclusive destinations but you've indicated that they are certainly not your first choice. Here are a couple of thoughts after vacationing all over the Caribbean for 20+ yrs.

Aruba is a good distance away, but airfare is very reasonable in June from JFK and there are several very good AI's to choose from there. Several choices and options to choose from. Very kid friendly as well.

Air fare to ST Thomas is also very good at present for June travel. STT is closer than Aruba and is lush, beautiful and has options for AI's, just not as many. AI's are not it's claim to fame but they are there. One can day trip to St John easily from STT too, well worth it.

For that matter, it's not an AI answer, but you could land in STT and take the ferry to St John and rent a villa for a week. This can be done well within your budget. We've done it many times. Having the ability to take a taxi or rent a jeep, and take the kids to as many of the world class beaches on the island as you can, will make memories you will never forget. There are several villa rental agencies that are great to work with on St John. Again not an AI though.

Finally, Atlantis has been recommended. Good choice if that's what you're after, we've taken the kids. It's very commercial, there are many options, and the kids will definitely stay busy.

Wishing you a great time!
Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 »

mancich wrote:I would consider a cruise but my wife is cruise-phobic :annoyed
Atlantis does look great, though pricey. I definitely am not trying to cheap out here, nor do I want to go to the other extreme; just looking for a Boglehead middle ground where get the best value. Thanks for the responses, the research continues, :beer
Dude, the newer ships are so large you do not even know you are on a ship. Book a big ship and give her a pill and a drink. After a few days she will never to the Caribbean any other way.
If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging
Topic Author
mancich

Post by mancich »

Blueskies123 wrote:
mancich wrote:I would consider a cruise but my wife is cruise-phobic :annoyed
Dude, the newer ships are so large you do not even know you are on a ship. Book a big ship and give her a pill and a drink. After a few days she will never to the Caribbean any other way.
I'm cracking up at this comment!
vveat

Post by vveat »

Dominican Republic is a cheaper destination - we've been twice - once to La Romana, last year to Punta Cana, and had very good experience as vacations with kids go. Last year an all inclusive for a week with 2 kids cost us $5k (we booked through Costco Travel). They had a kids club with activities and nightly shows. You can book different day trips, the hotel has various basic sports. Flights are frequent and relatively cheap.
invst65

Post by invst65 »

How about Cuba?

Since they just opened it up for travel, I doubt that anybody can give you any advice but you could report back to us on the adventure of a lifetime.
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 »

Went to Paridisus Palma Real and Punta Cana in Dec. our kids ages 15, 11 and 7 absolutely loved it. We came right in at $8,500 with airfare from a Chicago with a 1400 sq ft double suite. All inclusive. Got $400 in Costco bucks plus 2% back on my Costco Visa plus 2% back for my membership. Net actually came in under 7800. And since I'm United Platinum, we all flew first class for no extra cost.

Booked through Costco Travel
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

aqan wrote:
Thesues wrote:Try Atlantis in Bahamas. Lots to do especially for the older kids.
Isn't Atlantis very expensive?
Atlantis is a huge place with many towers and facilities meeting needs of different preferences including different prices. I am fairly certain, it can be done for less than $8500.
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

vveat wrote:Dominican Republic is a cheaper destination - we've been twice - once to La Romana, last year to Punta Cana, and had very good experience as vacations with kids go. Last year an all inclusive for a week with 2 kids cost us $5k (we booked through Costco Travel). They had a kids club with activities and nightly shows. You can book different day trips, the hotel has various basic sports. Flights are frequent and relatively cheap.
I second this also. DR is a great place for all-inclusive and value resorts. If I remember correctly we spend less than $4500 for 7 nights. Beaches are amazing. We did this three years ago with two other families - each with two kids - through Costo (Melia Caribe) and absolutely loved it. Take a segway tour if you can. My daughter at the time was 7 years old, was allowed to get on the segway tour. It took her 10 minutes to learn, and she absolutely had a blast.
Carter3

Post by Carter3 »

We did the St Thomas ain't John thing with kids and it was great. I would highly suggest that and it will come in well under 8k. We did condo rented car made our own way...stayed at a place called the blue beard. Doubt I spent half of that 2015. All inclusive is best done adult only
pitt76

Post by pitt76 »

I took my kids to The Atlantis in the Bahamas and they never wanted to go anywhere else on vacation. We went about 7 - 8 years in a row. They are 29 and 25 now and they still talk about it all the time. You can't go wrong there.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Be sure to research the current status of the Zika Virus. Even if you are not planning to have more kids there can still be risks.
Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al »

Hard to go wrong with St. John. It can be pricey, but it doesn't have to be. You might also consider Cozumel, or the Akumal/Tulum area, south of Playa del Carmen. Water is great. Day trips to Chichen Itza and other attractions are reasonable. I find both Playa and Cancun too commercial.
msk

Post by msk »

I sent a bunch of my kids and grand-kids (ages 40 down to 6) to Barbados Beachview last summer. They have self-catering apartments, but also do all-in, half board, w or without breakfast, varying from one to 3 bedrooms, and packages that include a rental car, excursions, etc. All report having had a great time, so they tell me. If I recall correctly, it falls within the price range you are looking for. But it does depend on your air fares...
http://beachviewbarbados.com/
Topic Author
mancich

Post by mancich »

Thesues wrote:
vveat wrote:Dominican Republic is a cheaper destination - we've been twice - once to La Romana, last year to Punta Cana, and had very good experience as vacations with kids go. Last year an all inclusive for a week with 2 kids cost us $5k (we booked through Costco Travel). They had a kids club with activities and nightly shows. You can book different day trips, the hotel has various basic sports. Flights are frequent and relatively cheap.
I second this also. DR is a great place for all-inclusive and value resorts. If I remember correctly we spend less than $4500 for 7 nights. Beaches are amazing. We did this three years ago with two other families - each with two kids - through Costo (Melia Caribe) and absolutely loved it. Take a segway tour if you can. My daughter at the time was 7 years old, was allowed to get on the segway tour. It took her 10 minutes to learn, and she absolutely had a blast.
We will look into this a little more closely, thanks!
yolli71

Post by yolli71 »

Thesues wrote:
Yep, I also recommend DR. A travel agent told me you get your biggest bang for your buck at Jamaica and DR. We took our kids to Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe in Punta Cana 2 years ago and they absolutely loved it...we're going back this April.
Topic Author
mancich

Post by mancich »

yolli71 wrote:
Thesues wrote:
Yep, I also recommend DR. A travel agent told me you get your biggest bang for your buck at Jamaica and DR. We took our kids to Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe in Punta Cana 2 years ago and they absolutely loved it...we're going back this April.
Thank you :beer
calliecake47

Post by calliecake47 »

We fly out of JFK also and sometimes Islip, there are some deals out there. Mexico and Dominican Republic are the least expensive from our own personal experience. We stayed at a place near Playa del Carmen, MX - Grand Palladium White Sand Resort. All Inclusive decent prices, very large place and had a lot of kid activities.

DR is our favorite destination, been down there several times. Punta Cana has a lot of resorts that are kid friendly and all inclusive. I tend to really like the Club Melia Paradissus resorts in Palma Real and Punta Cana. All of them have activities for kids. We also stayed at Lifestyles resort in Puerto Plata which was huge and had tons of activities. All of these big resorts have several "separate" resorts together that have reciprocal privileges with most of the others.

We've gone through Costco with good luck. We've also joined MeliaRewards.com (its free). Sign up for their newsletter and they sometimes have deals. Lately I've been booking through jetblue getaways, they have some great deals and sometimes flash sales that they send out once you sign up through twitter and their newsletter. You can also try Southwest out of Islip, they sometimes have vacation deals, but I prefer Jetblue, they have better deals.

NEXUS transportation to and from airport in is very reasonable in Dominican Republic. Round trip for 2 from Punta Cana airport/hotel, $20 usd

I think any of these places are doable for under $8500, if you book when they have a sale. Late July/Aug will be least expensive over the summer because it's hurricane season. You can get the vacation insurance for the trip, (sometimes expensive but cancellable) and make a decision to cancel it the day before you leave if the weather looks ok. In NY state you can cancel the vacation insurance without penalty up to the day before you leave. I get the insurance all the time just in case but have never used it, always cancelled it. I can't remember how I found this out, they don't volunteer that information but you can confirm with them and they will tell you that is the case.

Good luck!
TRC

Post by TRC »

Atlantis would be perfect for your kids (and you two). It's pricey, but one of the funnest vacations we've ever had as a family.
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

With 3 kids I'd skip the Caribbean and go to Costa Rica. Costa Rica does have a Caribbean coast but the better resorts are on the Pacific side.

We've done Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic and my wife used to work on cruise ships in the Caribbean. We much prefer Costa Rica, especially with kids as there are so many more interesting excursions (rainforests, ziplines, white water rafting, hiking etc.) The Caribbean seems more cruise-ship centric.

There are a bunch of well rated all-inclusive resorts along the Guanacaste cost of Costa Rica (northwest coast). And there is a newer international airport in Liberia, the capital of Guanacaste so you can get direct flights there from the US and skip going through San Jose. My family always does our own thing by renting local beach houses through VRBO so we can't help with recommending all inclusive resorts but there are a bunch of them. Prices will probably be similar to the Caribbean. Here's one example: http://www.riu.com/en/Paises/costa-rica ... guanacaste

They all have bazillions of reviews of tripadvisor so you can research until your fingers bleed.
Topic Author
mancich

Post by mancich »

Thanks for everyone's responses!