Which puppy to buy: golden retriever or labrador retriever?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
supersharpie

Which puppy to buy: golden retriever or labrador retriever?

Post by supersharpie » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:16 pm

Our corgi died from cancer at the age of 10 in early November. My wife, after initially indicating she wanted to wait several years before welcoming a new pup to the household, has changed course abruptly and now wants to buy one this year. We already have two cats so we are wary of shelter pups as it is difficult to determine their prey drive, especially since most are pit mixes.

We likely are going the purebred route and have narrowed it down to either a golden retriever or labrador retriever since both are supposedly good with other animals and relatively easy to train. One of us leans towards the golden because of their appearance, demeanor, and lower energy level whereas the other prefers the lab because of lower cancer rates and the fact the breed is short haired and therefore don't require expensive grooming.

We are curious to hear which you would pick, especially if you have owned both breeds.

michaelj

Re: Which puppy to buy: golden retriever or labrador retriever?

Post by michaelj » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:26 pm

I know this doesn't help but we own a golden lab (mix between Golden Retriever and Lab). We have the best of them both. :happy Lab body with the golden color.

Labs have a lot of energy and they shed a lot. I mean shed a lot. We had to buy bagless vacuum cleaners otherwise we would have been spending a fortune on bags.

Both breeds are popular for good reasons. You really can't go wrong with either.

Lafder

Post by Lafder » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:53 pm

Standard poodles are also retrieving dogs and have gentle mouths and do not shed! They come in a rainbow of colors and can have a "normal" haircut so they do not look froofy :) The y can be very intelligent and loving and are less over bred than labs or goldens in my opinion.

I like the ways goldens look vs labs, but I also like a poodle with a normal haircut :)

There is no guarantee a labradoodle or goldendoodle won't shed, so I would go for an actual poodle :)

lafder

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:05 am

Hard-earned lesson: it's not the breed, it's the dog. The generalizations already mentioned are great if you plan to buy a big index-fund of dogs. Individual temperament -- even within a breed -- varies enormously. And even knowing this, I share your aversion to pit bulls (or any of the three or four breeds that fall under that AKA-unapproved designation, although we all know them when we see them). And the breeder may not point you toward the "best" one, preferring to show you the one(s) they have some trouble moving, if they sense you're not super-sophisticated about puppies. Ask me how I know. I would make sure that the breeder will take the dog back for "re-homing" at any point in the future -- most good breeders will.

We love our dog and he's loads of fun, but people who come to visit don't share that sentiment. Not the best fit for our household but we can't bring ourselves to take him to a shelter, and we can't dump him on unsuspecting friends or relatives knowing his flaws. And in retrospect, we should have seen that from day one.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:10 am

You stated your reasons for not wanting a shelter pup from your local shelter, but have you checked out your local humane society, other area shelters, and/or wait it out until the right pup needs a forever home? My black lab was a gift from a prior relationship, but all three cats were shelter cats and after a year of my shedder passing, I spent months waiting until the right kitty showed at the shelter. Have faith!
michaelj wrote: Labs have a lot of energy and they shed a lot. I mean shed a lot. We had to buy bagless vacuum cleaners otherwise we would have been spending a fortune on bags.
Yes! Yes! Yes! I have black lab fur everywhere. Even more than the shedder (short hair tabby cat) who passed away and the two Maine-coons (one's a mix) I currently have!
Last edited by BrandonBogle on Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

emoore

Post by emoore » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:10 am

Golden or golden doodle. Labs are great dogs too just a little high energy for me. Try to visit both types of breeders and pick one you like the best.

Based on the previous thread about buying a purebred, be prepared to be inundated with requests to get a shelter dog. I agree we th getting a shelter dog if you can but with 2 cats it's tough. I had the same issue. There were some disturbing posts insinuating that yore a dog killer if you don't get a shelter dog. Really disappointed to see that on this site.

Good luck with your decision!

a2_alice

Post by a2_alice » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:12 am

My family has owned multiple golden retrievers and multiple labs. If you're planning on buying from a local breeder, get in contact with a few of them before taking one breed out of the running. A good breeder will be able to give you a dog with the temperament you want. There are high strung Goldens and calm labs.

In terms of hair, I wouldn't say the goldens need more grooming. Both breeds need to be brushed on a regular basis (we do twice a week) but for different reasons. The golden needs it to prevent matting and keep the coat looking nice. We have never had a golden that needed professional grooming. We've had one that needed its ear fur trimmed a bit to let more air in because of fungal infections. Not worth a professional groomer. The labs need the brushing to prevent the worst shedding. If you don't brush a lab regularly, you'll be very fed up with all the hair (sometimes even if you do)!

That being said, I would still choose a lab over a golden if I had to pick blind. Especially if you're coming from corgi ownership, there's something about the lab personality that is essentially FUN and a bit goofy. The golden temperament is a little more sensitive, although very sweet. They're a bit nervous for my lifestyle.

EasilyConfused

Post by EasilyConfused » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:13 am

Both great choices with similar personalities. I've been around quite a few of both and currently have a lab. I will say that while every lab and almost every golden I've ever known has been sweet, patient and friendly, I have known more than one short-tempered golden retriever. It's rare but there is a strain of goldens that can be a little snappish.

On the other hand, I'd say labs are more likely to be annoyingly high-energy bordering on hyperactive. They need something to do and they chew a lot as pups and even as young adults. Hopefully you have room for your dog to run around.

I'd be slightly more concerned about my cats around a golden than I would with a lab, but if you get either as puppies you're probably OK.

Likely you'll be very happy either way.

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:23 am

I feel this thread needs more photos. Here is my black lab :)

LittleGreenSoldiers

Post by LittleGreenSoldiers » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:28 am

Call me shallow but I'd think pets would be in the same grouping as second homes in this forum.
I start with that because I think about more dogs and/or a second home all the time.

I'm not trying to be cold, but there is a long term investment cost to every dollar spent one must considers. I.E. We had 2 dogs in our household just after marriage and after 10 year we estimated our carrying cost of the dogs to be approximately $25K in 10 years. Those dollars invest until age 65 would add about a half a million to our nest egg when we are in our mid 60s. Maybe a second home in retirement may be affordable after all.

jasper

Post by jasper » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:18 am

I have had both. From my expeience, I would say the golden

"their appearance, demeanor, and lower energy level" is exactly why

But agreed from above, it all depends on genes. You have to vet the parents

NoGambleNoFuture

Post by NoGambleNoFuture » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:27 am

LittleGreenSoldiers wrote:Call me shallow but I'd think pets would be in the same grouping as second homes in this forum.
I start with that because I think about more dogs and/or a second home all the time.

I'm not trying to be cold, but there is a long term investment cost to every dollar spent one must considers. I.E. We had 2 dogs in our household just after marriage and after 10 year we estimated our carrying cost of the dogs to be approximately $25K in 10 years. Those dollars invest until age 65 would add about a half a million to our nest egg when we are in our mid 60s. Maybe a second home in retirement may be affordable after all.
But how much value did you get in return from those awesome pups? Probably cannot put a dollar amount on it...

BUT OMG if I don't buy a car and I live on the streets and I don't ever eat and I never do anything fun and I never live just think how much $$$$ I'd have saved by the time I'm 65!!!!!

MightyHorus

Post by MightyHorus » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:10 am

Sorry about your loss.

Have you considered getting your puppy from a rescue group? Responsible purebred organizations evaluate their dogs' personality and temperament. Some dogs are placed with foster family (+/- other dogs or cats) to prepare them for future family life. The major drawback is that you won't know any potential hereditary diseases. But even with known pedigrees, there's no guarantee of low disease rate because we have changed their gene pools greatly with excessive breeding to achieve 'breed-standard.'

I have been fostering for quite some time and those dogs do make a great family pet. My own dog was a breeder reject, returned merchandise from previous buyer. But he is perfect in his imperfection.

Good luck finding that special little one!

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:17 am

BrandonBogle wrote:I feel this thread needs more photos. Here is my black lab :)
I found this picture of a dog that looks almost exactly like our wonderful border collie lab:
Wiki

sperry8

Post by sperry8 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:24 am

I grew up with a golden. Great with kids... really friendly, sweet and fun. Not as smart as some other breeds like German Shepherds for example. Sheds a lot but so do many dogs.

Many of my friends have labs, and they are gorgeous. But they are so high energy it borders on insane. I would never get a lab unless I had the energy to match theirs. These days... sadly, I don't.
Humbling BH contest results: 2017: #516 of 647 | 2016: #121 of 610 | 2015: #18 of 552 | 2014: #225 of 503 | 2013: #383 of 433 | 2012: #366 of 410 | 2011: #113 of 369 | 2010: #53 of 282

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:14 am

supersharpie wrote:Our corgi died from cancer at the age of 10 in early November. My wife, after initially indicating she wanted to wait several years before welcoming a new pup to the household, has changed course abruptly and now wants to buy one this year. We already have two cats so we are wary of shelter pups as it is difficult to determine their prey drive, especially since most are pit mixes.

We likely are going the purebred route and have narrowed it down to either a golden retriever or labrador retriever since both are supposedly good with other animals and relatively easy to train. One of us leans towards the golden because of their appearance, demeanor, and lower energy level whereas the other prefers the lab because of lower cancer rates and the fact the breed is short haired and therefore don't require expensive grooming.

We are curious to hear which you would pick, especially if you have owned both breeds.
Labrador all the way! :sharebeer

They love exercise, make great pets, love to swim (and hunt), and provide many memories. We've had labs over the years.

As others have mentioned, make sure to budget for a big dog. Plan on $850 to $2K per year depending on how much you board them while traveling, unexpected medical bills, food, etc... . Short hair, but they shed a lot. Prepare to vacuum at least 2 to 3 times per week if not more.
Last edited by CyclingDuo on Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." ~ Steven Wright

just frank

Post by just frank » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:41 am

Huge lab fan here....we went for a mini labradoodle from a good breeder. AKA the 'Australian Labradoodle'.

Basically, Lab personality (attentive, loving, funny) with the poodle brain (smart) in a 24 lb package that doesn't shed.

Not just the best dog we ever had, better than any dog we ever expected to have.

Beware poodle mixes from less reputable breeders....unpredictable, often giant and can have defects.

mrc

Post by mrc » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:09 am

daveydoo wrote:Hard-earned lesson: it's not the breed, it's the dog.
Not disagreeing with davey, but underscoring: It's what's at the other end of the leash that matters most.

Either a golden or a Labrador will make a fine dog if trained well. Both will shed. There are no bad dogs...
If it’s not long term it’s small talk

dcarste

Post by dcarste » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:01 am

Labs are great, funny, and great around kids. I've had 3 over the years.

BE SURE to get an ENGLISH LAB from a good breeder. English Labs have the shorter stout nose, shorter legs and a little stockier. They don't have the energy that regular labs do. The FIELD lab or a non pure English lab will have a straighter, longer nose/snout. The Field lab is taller, skinnier, and never runs out of energy. It pays big time to get a dog with a good bloodline, even though it might cost 2K upfront. It'll save tons of money in the long run with health.

Again, get an ENGLISH LAB. The puppy stage of all dogs are tough, and labs are no exception and bite a ton. But if you train them from about 12 weeks on, and get them socialized early you will be cool.

My black english lab was nutso for the first year but never ruined anything. Just lots of toys and bones, they are chewers.

Now that she is 3, she is a show dog, hilarious, and loves kids...plays with my sis's 8 month old. She will get tired pretty easily. As with any dog, the first 2 years they will have lots of energy, but english labs will chill out dramatically starting around 2.

Here is a breeder that is good. Don't get an 'American' or aka 'Field Lab'. You will notice they are skinnier, taller, longer skinnier nose and thinner head. They just have tons of energy and are not the typical pure 'LAB'.

http://www.zinfndellabradors.com/Home.html

Swansea

Post by Swansea » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:15 am

Labs will be easier than goldens to train in my experience.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:25 am

Get both of them.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

mouses

Post by mouses » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:33 am

One of each...

Normally I recommend getting older pets, as they are harder to find homes for, but I have heard that if your have a home with both cats and dogs getting a puppy means the dog is less likely to see the cats as prey but rather as part of their family.

As noted above, there are rescue groups devoted to finding homes for the type of purebred they specialize in.

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:39 am

Had a purebred lab, now work with a foster network, so a couple of points for both sides.

Don't get either of those breeds if you aren't prepared for them to blow their coats twice annually. I'm talking furdrifts everywhere. I was still picking lab fur off sweaters three years after my lab passed away. The puppy months were tough. He chewed almost through a couch leg in 30 minutes before we realized what was happening.

That said, I adored him. We had a gamma-dog with a great combination of high verbal understanding and absolutely no street-smarts. Very good companion for children when properly trained. It also made him good with cats, because he accepted everyone else as being higher in the pack than him. Liked to chase our chickens so he could sniff them but never hurt them.

If you really want to know the cat-tolerance and personality of a dog, working with a foster/adopt org, rather than a shelter OR a breeder, is the way to go. With a puppy you cannot actually determine their personality yet. At a shelter there may not be enough time/staff to assess and the dogs can be too stressed.

Foster networks take dogs into their homes and are able to assess over time their appropriateness for particular families/other pets. They won't say a dog is good with cats if they haven't confirmed it. And every foster org I've ever seen or worked with has a no-questions return policy.

fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:38 am

I have a 10 (going on 11) year old purebred American chocolate lab. I'm biased, but he is the best dog you could ever ask for. A ton of energy when it's "go time", but can also chill for days at a time. Outside of the puppy stage when they are ALL destructive, he has never chewed or destroyed anything.

I agree that you need to see both of the parents. Of course there is no guarantee but a dog from solid bloodlines will have a much lesser chance of having some of the chronic problems labs can have (hip issues, etc). Also if you get a lab, they love to eat so make sure you keep their weight in check. Exercise will of course help in that regard, but in 10 years my dog has never taken his time to eat or walked away from food in his bowl.

Bottomline, labs are the best companion you could ever have

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:39 am

Both of those are fun breeds to love and be loved by. They are active and need to run a lot to be happy and healthy.
Please consider adopting from a breed specific rescue group rather than from a puppy farm. Some are young and already trained. Some are seniors, looking for the final forever home. You will find any breed specific rescue group (some are likely be in your state or neighboring state) at Petfinder https://www.petfinder.com/. I was active in Old English Sheepdog rescue for years helping rescue and finding homes.
Jim
Last edited by Sheepdog on Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter which tells what kind of life you have lived---Helen Walton

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:40 am

Or you could just get another cat. Just a thought.

TRC

Post by TRC » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:41 am

Wow, everyone is going easy on you. I posted a thread "what to ask a puppy breeder" last Friday and got lit up for even considering buying a puppy! viewtopic.php?f=11&t=211359&p=3244016#p3244016

fishboat

Post by fishboat » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:48 am

supersharpie wrote:...We already have two cats so we are wary of shelter pups as it is difficult to determine their prey drive, especially since most are pit mixes.

I've had at least one Golden in my house for nearly 30 years. Labs and Goldens have similar personalities. They both shed. Neither need 'expensive grooming'..just a brush out now and then. Goldens have longer hair and require a little more combing/brushing toward their rear end..once every week/couple weeks?? Not a big deal...it's good therapy for you.

Both can be high energy or lower energy..depends on the dog, I wouldn't say one breed is markedly higher energy than the other. Both are hunting dogs and are bred for energy, traditionally. Both need exercise..if you're not at least a moderate walker(or better yet hiker or runner) then a lower energy dog may be a better option for you. Many people have issues with 'higher energy' dogs as they don't give them exercise. Letting them out in the back yard or tying them out for a couple hours ain't it. Their energy needs to be tapped/burned out of them on a regular basis...at least 2-3x a week. If that doesn't happen then bad behavior or driving you a little batty is the result. This is not the dog's or breed's fault..you're at fault(for not getting them exercise they need or by picking the wrong breed to begin with). If you get a puppy of either breed, their energy is very high for the first 12-18 months & then they settle down. Many dogs that are surrendered to a shelter are young and ended up there due to their excessive energy..and not getting regular exercise. If you don't have the time to work with this..get a lower energy dog.

There is a happy medium between a 'shelter dog' and buying a pure bred puppy..that being the nation-wide network of breed-specific rescue groups. Google "enter breed here rescue enter state here". Breed-specific rescue groups take in unwanted pure breds, or rescue them from community shelters/humane society shelters, foster them, and eventually find forever homes for them.

Other somewhat similar breeds(higher or lower energy) that may be worth a look: Flat Coated Retriever, Chesapeake Bay Retriever, Irish Setter, English Setter, and the beautiful wild card..Bernese Mountain Dog.

My current Golden was 11 months when I got him..I was his fourth owner..no clue why. He had some fear issues initially..though some walks and regular ear-rubs cured that in short order. He's been a very mellow..puddin-head..for the last 10 years. He's the most polite, gentle dog you'd ever want to meet. I don't have a cat, he's never been around cats, but when I visit friends/family with cats..he could care less. He'd rather get pets from people.

As for those that view getting a dog through the lens of the cost and unrealized investment returns..sigh..buy a nice photo of a dog..it'll allow you to sleep better at night.
Last edited by fishboat on Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:49 am

English Pointer - (not be confused with GSP). All the great benefits of a Sporting breed. NO grooming required.
Excellent family dogs. There's a reason why they are the symbol of the Westminster Kennel Club

http://eastconn.com/dogs/VictorandMarg.JPG
http://eastconn.com/dogs/makemyday.jpg

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:51 am

DSInvestor wrote: ...border collie lab...
No energy there :shock:
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:55 am

Neither. You don't need to buy a dog, dogs are free other than maybe an adoption fee. Supply much much greater than demand, unfortunately.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

fishboat

Post by fishboat » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:00 am

David Jay wrote:
DSInvestor wrote: ...border collie lab...
No energy there :shock:
Border Collies would be the poster child for high energy. BC's are so smart they need a job..herding, agility competitions..something. A retired friend has one(great dog)...they both hike off trail in rugged country 20 miles a week, or more...and the dog is STILL extremely high energy. If you don't have a job for a BC..don't get one. If you do have a job, and enjoy regular, intelligent conversations with a dog, then a Border Collie is the dog for you.

fishboat

Post by fishboat » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:01 am

BW1985 wrote:Neither. You don't need to buy a dog, dogs are free other than maybe an adoption fee. Supply much much greater than demand, unfortunately.
+2

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:03 am

BW1985 wrote:Neither. You don't need to buy a dog, dogs are free other than maybe an adoption fee. Supply much much greater than demand, unfortunately.
Thank you for that comment. :thumbsup
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter which tells what kind of life you have lived---Helen Walton

Old Guy

Post by Old Guy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:06 am

We have had greyhounds. They come in all ages depending on their racing careers. You can only get racing greyhounds through adoption. They are not bred as pets. Smart enough, affectionate, and very easy to live with. They do not need grooming although some will shed. Because most have been fostered before they are put up for adoption, you will know if they can get along with cats. Some can, some can't. Despite expectations they are very low energy dogs and will sleep up to 20 hours a day. They just need a few walks. They are very good dogs for old people since you don't have to bend over to pet them.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:16 am

michaelj wrote:I know this doesn't help but we own a golden lab (mix between Golden Retriever and Lab). We have the best of them both. :happy Lab body with the golden color.
I also had a golden retriever, yellow labrador mix dog and loved him. Mine was war reddish gold in color with short hair and a great temperament. Best of all, he was free since he wasn't a purebred.

fishboat

Post by fishboat » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:19 am

Old Guy wrote:We have had greyhounds. They come in all ages depending on their racing careers. You can only get racing greyhounds through adoption. They are not bred as pets. Smart enough, affectionate, and very easy to live with. They do not need grooming although some will shed. Because most have been fostered before they are put up for adoption, you will know if they can get along with cats. Some can, some can't. Despite expectations they are very low energy dogs and will sleep up to 20 hours a day. They just need a few walks. They are very good dogs for old people since you don't have to bend over to pet them.
Good point. I've met many adopted-racing greyhounds. Very mellow, gentle dogs. Off leash(dog park..etc..)..electric..instantaneous, effortless speed..neat to watch.

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:26 am

supersharpie wrote:Our corgi died from cancer at the age of 10 in early November. My wife, after initially indicating she wanted to wait several years before welcoming a new pup to the household, has changed course abruptly and now wants to buy one this year. We already have two cats so we are wary of shelter pups as it is difficult to determine their prey drive, especially since most are pit mixes.

We own Golden. I chose golden. My dog is mellow as can be, not very energy, and *loves* people.
She does need a lot of grooming. I can not speak to health issues, ours is a puppy and has been problem free. I have never owned a labrador so I can not compare the two breeds. All of our dogs grooming is done at home. She gets her nails done every so often, that is the extent of our grooming expense on her.
We wanted a dog that is good with young kids, looks and acts friendly with people, and DOES NOT bark. We have hit all of those!

Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:33 am

There are dog rescues devoted to purebreds.

One needs to make the small effort of Googling for them.

20% of dogs killed in shelters are purebreds. Their owners unprepared for when the cute puppy grows up.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:40 am

Our lab managed to get into the bathroom, knock something into the sink causing the drain plug to go down and then flipped the water lever up. Flooded the finished basement and the carpet in the whole house had to be replaced. Don't ask my why my dad didn't make sure the sinks had overflow drains, I don't even know why they make bathroom sinks without them.

He was easy to train but would absolutely destroy anything he could when we weren't home including pulling up vinyl tiles from the kitchen floor and chewing through walls. Take the advice on finding a good breeder or English lab seriously.

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:59 am

barnaclebob wrote:Our lab managed to get into the bathroom, knock something into the sink causing the drain plug to go down and then flipped the water lever up. Flooded the finished basement and the carpet in the whole house had to be replaced. Don't ask my why my dad didn't make sure the sinks had overflow drains, I don't even know why they make bathroom sinks without them.

He was easy to train but would absolutely destroy anything he could when we weren't home including pulling up vinyl tiles from the kitchen floor and chewing through walls. Take the advice on finding a good breeder or English lab seriously.
Sounds like one of those Farmers Insurance ads where the dogs tries to get the pizza box off the stove and winds up turning on the gas burner causing a fire.

toto238

Post by toto238 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:14 am

1. It's the dog, not the breed.
2. It's the dog, not the breed.
3. It's the dog, not the breed.

Both labs and goldens in recent years have seen an increase in "less than reputable" breeders who don't quite know what they're doing overbreeding them. The result has been increases in violent incidents with these breeds.

At the same time, you should understand that pit bulls are NOT naturally predisposed to violence. What they do have is a naturally high pain tolerance, making them ideal candidates for bad actors looking to abuse animals.

We have a pit bull (purebred Staffordshire terrier) and a tiny Chihuahua-Cairn-terrier mix, and both of them were rescues from shelters. They get along wonderfully, and honestly it's the tiny little fella that gets into the most trouble. While my pit bull avoids conflict as much as possible, the Chihuahua tries to pick fights with dogs 10x his size.

Somewhere between 1 and 1.5 million dogs are euthanized in shelters every year in the US alone. Of those, the majority have been labeled "pit bulls" despite that not being an actual official breed.

I could never bring myself to get a dog at a breeder, as long as there are viable alternatives at shelters. And right now, the most abused dog in this country is the Pit Bull. They are the victims, not the culprits.

I can't recommend pit bull breeds highly enough, as they are more affectionate, empathetic and intelligent than any other breed I've ever owned. A Pit Bull will show enormous love to anyone who gives them even the slightest bit of attention.

Plus, I like walking my dog down the street and watching people cross to the other side just from having one look at him. It's great because if it weren't for my pit bull, I may have accidentally become friends with that person. And I have no desire to be friends with someone who is ignorantly fearful of such a gentle creature.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:22 am

I know several folks who really like labs, and have had great success with labs from rescue organizations (or similar placement). I also see, from time to time, information from the neighborhood about wonderful adult (not aged) dogs needing a home when the owners move, die or otherwise cannot care for the dog.

Although the time with such dogs will not be long, some "retired" assistance dogs (commonly labs) can make nice pets.

themesrob

Post by themesrob » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:43 am

As many others have noted, you would be well-served by consulting a rescue organization for goldens or labs -- those groups are plentiful, and good rescues have established foster parents who can give you ample background about the dog, his/her tolerance for cats, etc. This is actually a MUCH safer route than going to a breeder, and avoids the moral question of doing so, as well.

(I would also caution against (1) assuming most shelter dogs are pit mixes, and (2) assuming those dogs have elevated prey drives. as many have noted, it's the dog, not the breed. I know a lot of goldens who view cats as chew toys.)

dbl_hoo

Post by dbl_hoo » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:55 am

I'd through out a gooldendoodle as a suggestion. My family recently got one and we are very happy.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:59 am

themesrob wrote:As many others have noted, you would be well-served by consulting a rescue organization for goldens or labs -- those groups are plentiful, and good rescues have established foster parents who can give you ample background about the dog, his/her tolerance for cats, etc. This is actually a MUCH safer route than going to a breeder, and avoids the moral question of doing so, as well.
(I would also caution against (1) assuming most shelter dogs are pit mixes, and (2) assuming those dogs have elevated prey drives. as many have noted, it's the dog, not the breed. I know a lot of goldens who view cats as chew toys.)
I have no personal knowledge or expertise, but I know several folks who used a dog DNA test to determine the breed of their rescue dog.

pinecone

Post by pinecone » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:09 pm

Just curious why you don't want another corgi? Did you have a Pembroke or a Cardigan?

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:13 pm

supersharpie wrote:We already have two cats so we are wary of shelter pups as it is difficult to determine their prey drive, especially since most are pit mixes.
Don't give up shelter dogs or mixed breeds. Our shelter dog was a lab mix, and just right for us.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:26 pm

themesrob wrote:As many others have noted, you would be well-served by consulting a rescue organization for goldens or labs -- those groups are plentiful, and good rescues have established foster parents who can give you ample background about the dog, his/her tolerance for cats, etc. This is actually a MUCH safer route than going to a breeder, and avoids the moral question of doing so, as well.

Most of the "breed" rescue organizations are in fact run by breeders or people who have a long history in the specific breed and are usually affiliated with the National breed club. Good breeders know they are responsible for the dog for its entire life and will always take back a dog if an owner can no longer care for it. And a lot will not let you breed their offspring if the dog is not suitable. There is nothing wrong with buying a dog from a breeder and in fact if you want a purebred puppy, there is usually no other choice. NEVER NEVER go to a pet store; you'll usually wind up with something that came from a "puppy mill"

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:30 pm

sperry8 wrote:I grew up with a golden. Great with kids... really friendly, sweet and fun. Not as smart as some other breeds like German Shepherds for example. Sheds a lot but so do many dogs.

Many of my friends have labs, and they are gorgeous. But they are so high energy it borders on insane. I would never get a lab unless I had the energy to match theirs. These days... sadly, I don't.
Labs need lots of exercise. A lot of big dogs need larger yards to run off their energy.