Wifi Router Advice

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
delamer

Re: Wifi Router Advice

Post by delamer » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:41 pm

pochax wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:33 pm
delamer wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:17 pm

My understanding is that the current device is both a router and modem. We will be below 150 mps, probably 50.
correct, but if you are going to use the google wifi as the router you will only use the FiOS device as a modem. you cannot (should not?) use two routers. the actiontec will function as the modem (internet signal "pipe" goes into it from the ISP) but only as a "bridge" to the google wifi which will function as the router. you will be have a double NAT situation but it will likely have negligible impact.
My bad; I see the confusion now.

I added a question to an existing thread that talked about Google wifi. But Google wifi is not something we are considering. We want the same function in a new device — combo of router and modem.

pochax

Post by pochax » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:44 pm

delamer wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:41 pm

I added a question to an existing thread that talked about Google wifi. But Google wifi is not something we are considering. We want the same function in a new device — combo of router and modem.
oh ok...as a modem/router, i did not like the actiontec. the router signal was weak (and i think it is only a/b/n, not ac-wifi) so this will limit max speed and decreased signal because it is over the 2.4 GHz frequency which is shared with many other radio-devices. i would upgrade to the quantum router or get an add-on router with AC-wireless capability.

2comma

Post by 2comma » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:20 pm

I just checked and it looks like your combo's limited to the wireless n spec so it's kind of dinosaurish. Since you mentioned you're not having any problems you could keep what you have to save some money but in general I'll second the thought that you might want to invest in a combo or separate wifi router that is capable of wireless ac (the latest standard). The slower wireless n was finalized in 2007, wireless ac in 2013. Wireless ac supports faster speeds and has a lot more channels available, on the flip side it doesn't travel as far but that can be a good thing because of interference from other devices. All of the newish phones/tablets/computers are capable of wireless ac. If you want to check you can download a "wifi analyzer" app on your cell phone and check to see how many devices are on the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz frequencies. At my house I can see several neighbors using the 2.4Ghz channels, on the 5Ghz frequency I only see two and they are both in my home.
If I am stupid I will pay.

delamer

Post by delamer » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:40 pm

2comma wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:20 pm
I just checked and it looks like your combo's limited to the wireless n spec so it's kind of dinosaurish. Since you mentioned you're not having any problems you could keep what you have to save some money but in general I'll second the thought that you might want to invest in a combo or separate wifi router that is capable of wireless ac (the latest standard). The slower wireless n was finalized in 2007, wireless ac in 2013. Wireless ac supports faster speeds and has a lot more channels available, on the flip side it doesn't travel as far but that can be a good thing because of interference from other devices. All of the newish phones/tablets/computers are capable of wireless ac. If you want to check you can download a "wifi analyzer" app on your cell phone and check to see how many devices are on the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz frequencies. At my house I can see several neighbors using the 2.4Ghz channels, on the 5Ghz frequency I only see two and they are both in my home.
I downloaded the Fing app but I can’t find the info on the frequencies. Not sure if I have the wrong app or just am not seeing the info.

What would you recommend for a separate router? Also asking pochax. Thanks.
Last edited by delamer on Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

delamer

Post by delamer » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:41 pm

pochax wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:44 pm
delamer wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:41 pm

oh ok...as a modem/router, i did not like the actiontec. the router signal was weak (and i think it is only a/b/n, not ac-wifi) so this will limit max speed and decreased signal because it is over the 2.4 GHz frequency which is shared with many other radio-devices. i would upgrade to the quantum router or get an add-on router with AC-wireless capability.
What would you recommend for the add-on router? Also asking this of 2comma.

Thanks.

Cunobelinus

Post by Cunobelinus » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:29 pm

Still running dd-wrt on a Linksys WRT-54G. Haven't had any issues since setting it up 8-10 years ago..? I'm surprised routers sell for $100+.

gostars

Post by gostars » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:39 pm

The Quantum Gateway is a piece of junk and I would not use it. If you have Fios TV service, because of how the set-top box works you're forced to use some Verizon provides or have to expend a lot of effort to work around it, and if you have a landline and want the caller ID display on your TV to work then you have no choice. I would probably leave the Actiontec in place as the main router, and add a Fios network extender on the main floor. It connects back to the main router using your existing coax, and gives you 11ac and all that good stuff.

KRACK exploits a client-side vulnerability; routers can't/don't need to be fixed for it when operating as a router or AP.

pochax

Post by pochax » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:20 am

delamer wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:41 pm

Thanks.
honestly, it depends on how much coverage you need. if your whole house is typically covered by one router (without any range extenders or additional access points) then you can get by with a standard router (try to get at least 1200 Mbps max speed with AC-wireless). Netgear, TP-Link, D-link, Linksys, and Asus make some of the more popular ones.

however if you have a medium to large sized home with multiple floors, you should strongly consider getting a mesh network router such as google wifi, eero, or orbi (almost all the companies above on routers have their own now). wirecutter.com has a nice review of them...i think eero came out on top, but each one may have its own pros/cons. i chose google wifi with 3 access points since the user interface on the app is very user-friendly. obviously this is the more expensive option ($100-300 depending on how many access points).

darrvao777

Post by darrvao777 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:10 am

I have Verizon FIOS

I use the stock modem/router option from Verizon (which is terrible by the way) and allow our tenants to access the internet via that pathway

I use netgear's orbi mesh wifi system for personal use and have been thrilled with the results

Cosmo

Post by Cosmo » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:54 am

Cunobelinus wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:29 pm
Still running dd-wrt on a Linksys WRT-54G. Haven't had any issues since setting it up 8-10 years ago..? I'm surprised routers sell for $100+.

I would upgrade immediately as I am guessing it is no longer supported. I would be very concerned about security vulnerabilities.

Cosmo

delamer

Post by delamer » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:11 pm

Thanks to all.

We just extended our Fios contract for 2 years and were upgraded to 50/50 mbps.

Based on what I’ve read, my expectation is that this won’t improve our device performance because our usage was not near capacity with 25/25.

Is my expectation correct? I actually hope to be wrong in this case.

2comma

Post by 2comma » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:30 pm

pochax wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:20 am
delamer wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:41 pm

Thanks.
honestly, it depends on how much coverage you need. if your whole house is typically covered by one router (without any range extenders or additional access points) then you can get by with a standard router (try to get at least 1200 Mbps max speed with AC-wireless). Netgear, TP-Link, D-link, Linksys, and Asus make some of the more popular ones.

however if you have a medium to large sized home with multiple floors, you should strongly consider getting a mesh network router such as google wifi, eero, or orbi (almost all the companies above on routers have their own now). wirecutter.com has a nice review of them...i think eero came out on top, but each one may have its own pros/cons. i chose google wifi with 3 access points since the user interface on the app is very user-friendly. obviously this is the more expensive option ($100-300 depending on how many access points).
I agree. Just to put a name on one I recently researched and bought a tp-link C1900 mostly because I could get it locally at Office Depot for $99 and exchange it quickly if I wanted to try another one (actually I tried a cheaper AC1200 then exchanged it for the C1900).

2comma

Post by 2comma » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:40 pm

delamer wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:40 pm
2comma wrote:
I downloaded the Fing app but I can’t find the info on the frequencies. Not sure if I have the wrong app or just am not seeing the info.

Hum, I just installed fing and I can't figure out how to see what I'm looking for either. I use Wifi Analizer from farproc very easy to see what signals are on the 2.5 and 5 Ghz channels.

Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:50 pm

Whatever you end up using, make sure it supports fq_codel qos

Makes a huge difference in latency of internet
IT-DevOps System Administrator

delamer

Post by delamer » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:53 pm

2comma wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:40 pm
delamer wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:40 pm
2comma wrote:

Hum, I just installed fing and I can't figure out how to see what I'm looking for either. I use Wifi Analizer from farproc very easy to see what signals are on the 2.5 and 5 Ghz channels.
I’ll give it a try.

Thanks!

Cunobelinus

Post by Cunobelinus » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:16 pm

Cosmo wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:54 am
Cunobelinus wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:29 pm

I would upgrade immediately as I am guessing it is no longer supported. I would be very concerned about security vulnerabilities.

Cosmo
I'm generally concerned with security. While I can't pull up the dd-wrt website at the moment to verify the most up-to-date firmware, I upgraded the firmware in the past year or three.

Gray

Post by Gray » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:05 am

I recommend the Asus line of routers. They are constantly patching the firmware to add enhancements and remove vulnerabilities. I’ve never seen such after-purchase support. I have an RT-AC68U. Their newer models are pretty nice as well.

I am looking into Amplifi HD to create a wireless mesh network with an Ethernet-based backhaul.

2comma

Post by 2comma » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:23 am

delamer wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:11 pm
Thanks to all.

We just extended our Fios contract for 2 years and were upgraded to 50/50 mbps.

Based on what I’ve read, my expectation is that this won’t improve our device performance because our usage was not near capacity with 25/25.

Is my expectation correct? I actually hope to be wrong in this case.
Probably correct. I upgraded from 12 to 24 and I see some improvement in how fast Netflix loads movies and I can skip forward repeatedly on YouTube videos without any buffering so instead of skip forward, wait a second I can skip forward as much as I want. It may be a little subtle but you'll probably see some improvement.