Wifi Router Advice

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Fiat lux

Wifi Router Advice

Post by Fiat lux » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:54 pm

I was able to cut my cable down from $180 to $135, went down to basic channels, got rid of phone, and no longer renting router.

Now, spectrum will provide a cable modem at no charge but wifi carries a monthly charge - so I am getting my own wifi router. Anyone have recommendation for this ? ( my cable company is Spectrum- formerly Brighthouse Networks).

Dakotah

Re: Wifi Router Advice

Post by Dakotah » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:12 pm

A lot depends on your usage (lots of video streaming?) profile and the size/layout of your house. Generally speaking, however, I'd recommend going with an "AC class" router. If there was to a be a current "standard" for routers, AC would be it. They come in various speeds and levels of capability, such as "AC1200" or "AC3100", for example. The manufactures use some questionable salesmanship and gimmickry to come up with those numbers, though. From a price/performance ratio, AC1900 seems to be a sweetspot. The Netgear Nighthawk R7000 AC1900 router has been out for a few years, but it is highly rated, relatively affordable, and still plenty capable.

knpstr

Post by knpstr » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:13 pm

netgear makes good devices
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

Afty

Post by Afty » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:35 pm

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-router/

(The Wirecutter generally has good reviews for electronics)

SittingOnTheFence

Post by SittingOnTheFence » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:36 am

Fiat lux wrote:Now, spectrum will provide a cable modem at no charge but wifi carries a monthly charge - so I am getting my own wifi router. Anyone have recommendation for this ? ( my cable company is Spectrum- formerly Brighthouse Networks).
You didn't make clear if the wifi router will be behind a spectrum provided cable modem or if it is replacing the cable modem. Spectrum provides a list of compatible equipment if you are not using a spectrum provided modem.

If your wifi router is behind a spectrum cable modem, make sure the router you select operates in either 'access mode' or 'bridge mode'. Not all routers do.

When you do select a router, be aware that most come with pnp enabled. This is generally recognized to be a security problem and you may want to consider disabling it. For security purposes make sure you change the default login password.

I recently have seen articles on Mesh routers. They are more expensive and allow coverage of a much wider area than other wifi routers. If you have a large area to cover you might want to investigate that option.

Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:40 am

Afty wrote:http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-router/

I have the Archer C7 recommended in the article. For a long while, I was having tons of issues with slow service when I connected with my phone (but not with my computer for some reason). Then I switched from the 2.4GHz network to the 5GHz network and everything flies now. I think all the competing 2.4GHz signals in my condo building were getting in the way. I'd recommend this router, but do consider using the 5GHz network, though it may have a more limited range.

TareNeko

Post by TareNeko » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:48 am

I have google onhub. It's fantastic.

It switches between 2.4/5ghz bands automatically.
I can see my network from anywhere in the world.
It has pretty good range. I get ~50mbps in my back yard (100ft away from the router).
You can use it as arrival sensor.
I expect google to keep the firmware up to date in terms of security and features.

Oh, also, I'm using it directly with frontier fios (fiber to Ethernet to google onhub).

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:10 am

Fiat lux wrote:Now, spectrum will provide a cable modem at no charge but wifi carries a monthly charge - so I am getting my own wifi router. Anyone have recommendation for this ? ( my cable company is Spectrum- formerly Brighthouse Networks).
Unlike a cable modem, where you have to make sure it's compatible with your provider, a WiFi router is independent of your Internet provider. Since you'll get the cable modem from Spectrum, you can get any WiFi router that works for your needs and your devices. So what are your needs and your current WiFi devices?

drwtsn32

Post by drwtsn32 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:17 am

SittingOnTheFence wrote:If your wifi router is behind a spectrum cable modem, make sure the router you select operates in either 'access mode' or 'bridge mode'. Not all routers do.
Probably not be necessary. I have Charter Spectrum service and the plain cable modem is quite simple and doesn't do NAT. (Which is what I prefer.) It provides a public IP address to whatever device you connect to the modem. You can easily use a standard wireless router with such a cable modem.

Even if their modem acted as a NAT router, most users could get away with putting a wireless router into the mix. Double NAT works ok in most situations.

navyasw02

Post by navyasw02 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:42 am

I have two really good netgear ones (same model, purchased at different times after moving) and both have been great. I'm on the waitlist for google wifi now though because my two level condo has weird dead spots in the back room upstairs.

carguyny

Post by carguyny » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:52 am

If you have areas with bad coverage and a lot of devices, Google Wifi is very good. Can also buy a single unit.

mdba73

Post by mdba73 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:18 pm

If you are a techie and love to fiddle around - Go for a mikrotik - https://routerboard.com/RB951G-2HnD
Amazing feature list and awesome range. I am using it since 2+ years with zero complaints.
Definitely NOT for newbies.

McCharley

Post by McCharley » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:33 pm

I went through this exercise a couple of months ago and ended up getting a Linksys WRT1900ACS

One thing I strongly advise is to get a quiet external fan for it. Routers tend to run hot and cook themselves every few years.

ilisira

Post by ilisira » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:06 pm

carguyny wrote:If you have areas with bad coverage and a lot of devices, Google Wifi is very good. Can also buy a single unit.
I do second this comment. After many years of spotty wifi coverage inside our home, a trio of mesh AP's (google wifi) took care of all problems for us. Having said that, there are still missing features in google wifi (Hello, it's 2017, IPv6 please), and you need to have a smartphone to set it up. If these are not an issue, go ahead with Google WiFi.

Before this mesh, I had a number of dd-wrt (later openwrt) devices, even a 1W outdoor enterprise AP.

danaht

Post by danaht » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:22 pm

Costco has a nice sale (after coupon) on the NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 router for $129.99 - (it's currently selling for ~$159 at Newegg and Amazon). Netgear is one of the best companies for routers -and this particular router has the ability to use an open source firmware like DD WRT.

Fiat lux

Post by Fiat lux » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:26 pm

Is this the google router you all are referring to ?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MDJ0H ... ref=plSrch

Do you think I could get away with 1 unit in my 1900 sq ft house?
Also, does have to plug into the cable modem or does it connect wirelessly ?

We use wifi for web browsing, Netflix, and Amazon prime video. I definately would a solid connection. My isp is 100/20

Fiat lux

Post by Fiat lux » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:27 pm

danaht wrote:Costco has a nice sale (after coupon) on the NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 router for $129.99 - (it's currently selling for ~$159 at Newegg and Amazon). Netgear is one of the best companies for routers -and this particular router has the ability to use an open source firmware like DD WRT.

How do you think the Nighthawk compares with Google ?

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:09 pm

Fiat lux wrote:Also, does have to plug into the cable modem or does it connect wirelessly ?
If I remember correctly, the free Spectrum cable modem has no wireless support. So you'll need to connect any WiFi router to it using an Ethernet cable. If you look at the underside picture of the Google WiFi access point, you'll see it has two Ethernet ports on the underside for wired connections, plus the connector for the power cable.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:11 pm

I have an Afoundry from Amazon. Mostly good reviews. Lots of power and features. It was under $99.

You can spend 30 to 400. Read reviews and research the options. Good luck.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:20 pm

I've owned a couple of Netgear Routers and haven't been all that impressed honestly. I originally had a Linksys WRT54G router that it seems like everyone owned. It worked great and lasted a long time. When it finally bit the dust, I bought a Belkin N600; I later bought a Netgear N900 and moved the Belkin to the other end of the house. The N900 died an early death so I replaced it with a Netgear Nighthawk AC1750. I was expecting a big improvement with the AC technology, but I get a better signal from the Belkin standing next to the Netgear router than I do from the Netgear standing next to the Belkin router (in fact, no usable signal there). Plus the Netgear AC1750 had a major security flaw that required a firmware upgrade along with Netgear's recommendation to not use the router until the firmware upgrade was completed. Will probably look elsewhere next time.

danaht

Post by danaht » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:47 pm

Fiat lux wrote:
danaht wrote:Costco has a nice sale (after coupon) on the NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 router for $129.99 - (it's currently selling for ~$159 at Newegg and Amazon). Netgear is one of the best companies for routers -and this particular router has the ability to use an open source firmware like DD WRT.

How do you think the Nighthawk compares with Google ?
After reading about Google WIFI - I would definitely go with the Google WIFI system. The only bad thing - you might be on a waiting list for 3 months to get it.

Raven2

Post by Raven2 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:12 pm

Fiat Lux asked:
s this the google router you all are referring to ?
With the Google router, probably not. You are better off with a cheap router that has external antennas. All routers are regulated by the FCC to put out the same power so an expensive router will not give you greater coverage. However external antennas does increase range and may be adjusted to focus the signal. If you live in a high density area with lots of houses or apartments, opt for the 5GHz band in addition to the standard 2.4Ghz. Otherwise 2.4Ghz should work well. The router plugs into the cable modem and connects wirelessly to your various devices.

The Google router is a mesh system that uses your electrical power line to connect to additional Google routers around the house. Each unit is designed to work well for shorter ranges and use the additional routers for extended coverage. However the speed of the additional routers is limited by the power line noise. You can also use power line adapters to connect a computer at the far end of the house. Or you could use what is called a Range Extender which will relay the wireless signal from your router and rebroadcast it to the distant part of the house, but unfortunately, with reduced speed.

CaliJim

Post by CaliJim » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:35 pm

Use the free cable modem from your provider, then buy an Apple Airport Extreme ($$$) or a TP Link TL WR841N ($) wifi router to put behind it.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wireless ... B001FWYGJS

$25

The WR841N does all the WIFI things very well and is nothing fancy. It includes a basic firewall as well and is EZ to setup

I've had a TP-LINK behind my cable modem and airport extreme to provide extended coverage around the house and it works great.

(The only reason to have an Airport Extreme, or similar advanced router w/ USB ports, is if you have Apple stuff in the house, and or want a USB hard-disk for network attached storage or time-machine backups.)

Netgear also makes very serviceable WIFI routers as well. Whatever you buy, make sure it has ports for all the things you want to plug into it.
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki

conroy

Post by conroy » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:01 pm

Raven2 wrote:Fiat Lux asked:
s this the google router you all are referring to ?
With the Google router, probably not. You are better off with a cheap router that has external antennas. All routers are regulated by the FCC to put out the same power so an expensive router will not give you greater coverage. However external antennas does increase range and may be adjusted to focus the signal. If you live in a high density area with lots of houses or apartments, opt for the 5GHz band in addition to the standard 2.4Ghz. Otherwise 2.4Ghz should work well. The router plugs into the cable modem and connects wirelessly to your various devices.

The Google router is a mesh system that uses your electrical power line to connect to additional Google routers around the house. Each unit is designed to work well for shorter ranges and use the additional routers for extended coverage. However the speed of the additional routers is limited by the power line noise. You can also use power line adapters to connect a computer at the far end of the house. Or you could use what is called a Range Extender which will relay the wireless signal from your router and rebroadcast it to the distant part of the house, but unfortunately, with reduced speed.
Google's mesh network does not use the power line; all the routers connect with each other wirelessly
https://blog.google/products/google-wif ... our-wi-fi/

Also, I don't think it's true that cheap routers are as good as high quality ones. Besides reliability (whether/how often a router has to be restarted), there are differences in range and speed.

CaliJim

Post by CaliJim » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:30 pm

As a retired network manager, I can say that cheap routers work fine for most small residential situations.

But the above poster is right, I would not use a low end router in a house larger than 5k sf.

And... avoid connecting WIFI routers wireless. You can lose up to 20% of your bandwidth to mesh overhead. For good performance, hardwire your WIFI routers to your cable modems and ethernet switches using cat5e/cat6 cables.

Note also that often, this years $25 router was last years $150 high end router. Live frugally, avoid being an early adopter.
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:08 am

Luma 3 pack.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

wander

Post by wander » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:17 am

I am using one of the Buffalo DD-WRT routers. It is the best router I ever have (Tried Linksys, Western Digital ...). It can go month to month without dropping and usually the router was triggered a reboot whenever my ISP caused a drop on its end. When that happens, my router reboots by itself.
I can't tell you how much inconvenient (time or space) it is to have to reboot the router manually. Now, I will call the ISP when the internet is not working because it simply is other people's problem.

Fiat lux

Post by Fiat lux » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:40 pm

I made the decision to go with Google Wifi as of this AM. Amazon got 16 of the single units in stock this morning. I figure I will give it a shot, if it is not what I anticipate, I can return it easily. I might be able to get away with 1 unit in my house. Most the reviews I have read give it good marks, unless you like to delve into settings or have a connection that is excessively fast (100 mbps is fine though). Ill report back here when i install in a couple days

Toons

Post by Toons » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:05 pm

Google Router
Works for me.
Superb. :happy
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-OnHub-AC ... B013ALA9LA
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:32 pm

wander wrote:I am using one of the Buffalo DD-WRT routers. It is the best router I ever have (Tried Linksys, Western Digital ...). It can go month to month without dropping and usually the router was triggered a reboot whenever my ISP caused a drop on its end. When that happens, my router reboots by itself.
I used to have a Buffalo G-class router that went years without a blink.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

charleshugh

Post by charleshugh » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:02 pm

WOW...your cable/internet bill is still high compared to our Comcast service.
For the next year...

I have 25 mbps Internet service with basic cable on 1 TV (with HD).
Cable/Internet: $39.99
HD: $10

After 1 year, I will switch to Verizon FIOS for their best deal.
Cable is connected to a netgear modem and Google Wifi (3 pack) for 2,200 sq ft home.
The Google wifi provides outstanding connectivity.

FYI: I also use Amazon Fire TV and Google Chromecast. Amazon Fire is excellent is you are an Amazon Prime subscriber.
Also, if you want to watch cable news programs (e.g., CNN, FOX), you can live stream from YouTube to your TV via Fire or Chromecast.

betablocker

Post by betablocker » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:26 pm

I've owned most of the routers on the market. Google's is the best. The mesh networking gives great speeds and is far superior to a range extender that splits the signal. I'd go for the three. One connects to your modem and then you put the others around the house. You'll be blown away after using a crappy cable company provided router.

mclvngr

Post by mclvngr » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:07 pm

Eero. Simply the best. Try it for a week and I'm sure you'll agree!

spammagnet

Post by spammagnet » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:42 am

drwtsn32 wrote:Even if their modem acted as a NAT router, most users could get away with putting a wireless router into the mix. Double NAT works ok in most situations.
Many cable moderns can be changed to bridge mode, if not already set that way when you get it. That avoids double NAT. It assumes the internet port on your router is secure.

KSOC

Post by KSOC » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:06 am

jebmke wrote:
wander wrote:I am using one of the Buffalo DD-WRT routers. It is the best router I ever have (Tried Linksys, Western Digital ...). It can go month to month without dropping and usually the router was triggered a reboot whenever my ISP caused a drop on its end. When that happens, my router reboots by itself.
I used to have a Buffalo G-class router that went years without a blink.

I got a Buffalo router free with a laptop years ago at Circuit City. Liked it so much I got one for my parents. Both lasted about 7 years. Very few drops. Once mine died, and we morphed into an all Apple family, I went with the Apple Extreme. Very happy with it. But those Buffalo's definitely performed.
Too soon old, too late smart.

Fiat lux

Post by Fiat lux » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:40 am

I just switched over to Frontier (fiber optic) for my internet and am using Google Wifi. . Frontier requires use of their router, so I have google wifi piggybacking off their router. Would there be an increase in bandwith if I bridged their router ?

(Bridging seems a bit complicated and am not sure if I want to invest the time if there will not be a performance increase.)

blaugranamd

Post by blaugranamd » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:51 am

Bfwolf wrote:

I have the Archer C7 recommended in the article. For a long while, I was having tons of issues with slow service when I connected with my phone (but not with my computer for some reason). Then I switched from the 2.4GHz network to the 5GHz network and everything flies now. I think all the competing 2.4GHz signals in my condo building were getting in the way. I'd recommend this router, but do consider using the 5GHz network, though it may have a more limited range.
this
-- Don't mistake more funds for more diversity: Total Int'l + Total Market = 7k to 10k stocks -- | -- Market return does NOT = average nor 50th percentile, rather 80-90th percentile long term ---

Fiat lux

Post by Fiat lux » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:12 am

blaugranamd wrote:
Bfwolf wrote:

this
I dont get your answer . See my above post before yours

blaugranamd

Post by blaugranamd » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:52 am

Ahh didn't see that post while I was posting. Disregard then.
-- Don't mistake more funds for more diversity: Total Int'l + Total Market = 7k to 10k stocks -- | -- Market return does NOT = average nor 50th percentile, rather 80-90th percentile long term ---

amd2135

Post by amd2135 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:05 am

I have a Linksys EA6300 (main router) and Netgear R6250 (wireless bridge to main router). I can recommend neither. The Linksys is buggy and is full of bad design decisions overall. I had to offload some of its functionality onto my file server to maintain any level of reliability.

Netgear doesn't have their act together security wise. Yes, they patched the most recent obvious gaping flaw on their hardware quickly. Yet the nature of that flaw indicates very little is done to test their hardware for security issues.

Next time I'll buy something along the lines of a Ubiquity EdgeRouter X and 1-2 Ubiquity UniFi APs. Ubiquity appears to actually care about security and reliability as their products target enterprise clients. They charge ~$50 for the aforementioned router and ~$80 for an 802.11ac wireless access point to go with it.

Unfortunately Ubiquity hardware requires strong networking knowledge to set up properly. They do have an AmpliFi line for consumers but I have no comments there.

Edit: As for bridging, you may see a latency improvement. I tried this myself but have since disabled bridging. I don't particularly trust the security of my modem OR my router. At least having two NATs and firewalls from different hardware vendors makes a bad situation a bit better.

It drives me nuts that Mediacom flashed their own ancient firmware on my (separately purchased) modem and doesn't trust me to access all of its capabilities anymore. I have no reasonable way to know if it's compromised. But that's for a separate discussion.

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:16 am

If you have any deadspots or weak signal areas in your house and aren't running a mech network like Google WiFi or LUMA you are missing out. These are superior products to traditional router offerings.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

Steven in NC

Post by Steven in NC » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:30 am

I just purchased this Netgear Nighthawk after my Cisco/Linksys workhorse died. I loved that old router but very pleased with this new Netgear. I will say that when I first installed the Netgear (in the exact location at my Cisco) I was very dissapointed. It was so bad I thought it was defective out of the box. I moved it 3 feet and gave it "some breathing room" from a nearby wall and could not be more pleased with the results. Good luck. The online reviews are of mixed value in my opinion.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-nig ... :212,loc:2

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:37 am

Fiat lux wrote:I was able to cut my cable down from $180 to $135, went down to basic channels, got rid of phone, and no longer renting router.

Now, spectrum will provide a cable modem at no charge but wifi carries a monthly charge - so I am getting my own wifi router. Anyone have recommendation for this ? ( my cable company is Spectrum- formerly Brighthouse Networks).
Costco has the best deal. Modem plus router for $120.

https://www.costco.com/TP-LINK-AC1200-R ... 00463.html

Or, check out other router that they carry.

30 days return with no restocking fee.

KlangFool

Fiat lux

Post by Fiat lux » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:49 am

Guys I know google wifi is awesome. I ended up going with it. My question is it worth going through hassle of bridging my ISP router or just leave it as is ? If latency increase is negligible I'll probably just leave my google wifi piggybacking.

delamer

Post by delamer » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:59 pm

Thought I’d piggyback on this earlier thread —

We have Fios service with our 2-year contract (internet, TV, landline) expiring soon.

Our router is the same one we got (from Fios) when we started with them 6 years ago. It is a Actiontec M1424WR. We bought the router, so no monthly charge for it. No complaints from anyone in the household about speed or reliability of the internet service.

So is it worth purchasing a new router from Fios or another source? We do not have any problems with dead or weak spots. The router is located in the below-grade basement. Including the basement, our square footage is about 3,000 (with 2,000 above ground).

Fios is pushing their Quantum Gateway router for $150. But we don’t have the know-how to evaluate it in terms of price or technology.

Is our 6-year old router a dinosaur? If so, what is our best replacement option?

Thanks.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:59 pm

delamer wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:59 pm

We have Fios service with our 2-year contract (internet, TV, landline) expiring soon.

Our router is the same one we got (from Fios) when we started with them 6 years ago. It is a Actiontec M1424WR. We bought the router, so no monthly charge for it. No complaints from anyone in the household about speed or reliability of the internet service.

So is it worth purchasing a new router from Fios or another source? We do not have any problems with dead or weak spots. The router is located in the below-grade basement. Including the basement, our square footage is about 3,000 (with 2,000 above ground).

Fios is pushing their Quantum Gateway router for $150. But we don’t have the know-how to evaluate it in terms of price or technology.

Is our 6-year old router a dinosaur? If so, what is our best replacement option?

Thanks.
If your router is 6 years old there is a good chance that it is no longer supported and the manufacturer has stopped issuing firmware updates. I have a couple of routers that are only 3-4 years old and they are no longer supported and the manufacturer hasn't issued a firmware update since 2016. I am certain they will not patch the firmware for Krack and the hardware won't support open-source firmware so I plan to pitch them and get new ones.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Ged

Post by Ged » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:34 pm

Fiat lux wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:54 pm
I was able to cut my cable down from $180 to $135, went down to basic channels, got rid of phone, and no longer renting router.

I notice many are recommending Google Wifi. Like everything Google it comes with a privacy notice. I'd be sure to read it and be ok with its terms before buying.

I consider three things when I purchase a router:

1. Is it based on open source software? My experience has been that proprietary router software is much buggier and less likely to have security issues fixed in a timely fashion.

2. What hardware are you using with the router? Buying support for the latest standards can be a waste of money if your equipment doesn't support these standards.

3. What is the company's track record of support of past products?

pochax

Post by pochax » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:13 pm

delamer wrote:

Thanks.
my key question would be what speed are you planning for? if it is <150 mps, i don't think it is worth the upgrade if you are using the google wifi as the router. the actiontec as a modem would be plenty fast to funnel that speed to the router. that was exactly my setup from Dec 2016 when i got my google wifi mesh until i switched ISPs this past summer at it worked fine at 75/75 mbps internet speed for FiOS. (The router wifi speeds were 35-50 mbps depending on where the device was located).

delamer

Post by delamer » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:17 pm

pochax wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:13 pm
delamer wrote:

Thanks.
my key question would be what speed are you planning for? if it is <150 mps, i don't think it is worth the upgrade if you are using the google wifi as the router. the actiontec as a modem would be plenty fast to funnel that speed to the router. that was exactly my setup from Dec 2016 when i got my google wifi mesh until i switched ISPs this past summer at it worked fine at 75/75 mbps internet speed for FiOS. (The router wifi speeds were 35-50 mbps depending on where the device was located).
My understanding is that the current device is both a router and modem. We will be below 150 mps, probably 50.

pochax

Post by pochax » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:33 pm

delamer wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:17 pm

My understanding is that the current device is both a router and modem. We will be below 150 mps, probably 50.
correct, but if you are going to use the google wifi as the router you will only use the FiOS device as a modem. you cannot (should not?) use two routers. the actiontec will function as the modem (internet signal "pipe" goes into it from the ISP) but only as a "bridge" to the google wifi which will function as the router. you will be have a double NAT situation but it will likely have negligible impact.