Car windshield wipers - go cheap or better?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
lightheir

Car windshield wipers - go cheap or better?

Post by lightheir »

I'm about the change my car windshield wipers.

I noticed there's quite a range of prices and design for ones compatible with my make/model of car, even in a single manufacturer (like 8 different choices from $8 to $35+ for a single wiper.)

Any reason to choose a more expensive wiper? I dont' mind paying more if it's really better, but if not, no.
Goal33

Re: Car windshield wipers - go cheap or better?

Post by Goal33 »

I find the Goodyear ones at Costco to be the highest quality and only slightly more expensive than the cheapest ones you'd find at an automotive store.
Gufomel

Post by Gufomel »

I'm interested in this as well.

For further differentiation, if you say go better - is it due to it being better quality (e.g. wipes the windows better) or due to it having better durability (e.g. lasts 2x longer than the cheap ones)?
jpelder

Post by jpelder »

In my experience, it depends on your situation

If you live in a snowy/icy area, and it's winter or about to be winter, the cheap ones are fine. I've noticed that any wipers will tend to get worn quickly when shoving bits of ice off the windshield, or even just when you detach them to scrape.

If it's not snowy, or if it's spring/summer, I usually go with the more expensive ones (bean design, rather than frame design). They seem to last much longer before going streaky as long as they don't get frozen to the windshield. Now that I live in North Carolina (not much ice) instead of Ohio, I'll only change my beam-style wipers once per year, vs. two to three time times per year with the frame style when I lived in Alabama (almost no ice)
Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 »

I actually pretty much have to use the good ones, because the cheap ones have exposed metal, and exposed metal causes serious levels of ice growth on my wiper blades, making them non functional.

Given that, I buy good ones, and keep them for like 4 years.
Systems Engineer
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

So far I've found the mid level to be a good compromise on life and cost. Here in Portland, OR area it rains a lot so they really get a good workout. So far for our Subaru I've found sticking with OEM have the longest life and they are refillable (just change out the blade part). I tried the Costco ones for a few vehicles and they didn't last nearly as long - I was really disappointed in them multiple times. For my GM Sierra truck I just switched from OEM to Bosch Icons and they are doing good so far. I don't think I would pay more than the ~$15 each that they cost. On average my wipers have been last 1-2 years which is fine for me.
CorradoJr

Post by CorradoJr »

Get a silicone blend beam-type blade. They never squeak or chatter and last for years before needing replacement.

Rain-X Latitude or similar are about $15-20 each and widely available at Walmart.

Replacing 1x every 2-3 years will be cheaper in the long run vs. a cheaper blade needing replacement every year.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I replaced my windshield wipers on our Odyssey last fall with cheap ones and have regretted it ever since. I got them because they seemed very floppy compared to the more expensive models and I thought they would hug the contours of the windshield and do a better job. They have done a horrible job. They don't remove anything stuck on and instead rise over it and then smear everything a good six inches. I think the stiffer blades scrape more and prevent this from happening though perhaps at the cost of not lasting as long. These cheap ones I have still look brand new. I'm going to replace them before I go on any sort of long drive other than across town.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

I buy whatever's cheap and on sale. Usually that means RainX wipers at Target or Costco. I live in CA so the wipers barely last two years good or bad.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

I use Michelin which are a Consumer Reports Best Buy. They are cheap (under $10) and have worked as well or better than more expensive blades $20 and up.
np81

Post by np81 »

I cannot recommend Bosch Icons enough. They have lasted at least twice as long as the Rain-X Latitudes and Michelin Stealth's that I tried out ever did, and still perform exceptionally well. You get what you pay for in this instance.
Frisco Kid

Post by Frisco Kid »

=1 for Bosch, do consider wiper blades are a safety item. Having the best visibility is priceless....................
MidMNtom

Post by MidMNtom »

kenschmidt wrote:I use Michelin which are a Consumer Reports Best Buy. They are cheap (under $10) and have worked as well or better than more expensive blades $20 and up.
I found this to be true also!
Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al »

I think Scotty Kilmer gets windshield wiper advice right: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AFdUihWPCk .
yukonjack

Post by yukonjack »

np81 wrote:I cannot recommend Bosch Icons enough. They have lasted at least twice as long as the Rain-X Latitudes and Michelin Stealth's that I tried out ever did, and still perform exceptionally well. You get what you pay for in this instance.
+1. This has been my experience over the years. Although after watching the above YouTube video I am tempted to get the silicone variety next time.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

kenschmidt wrote:I use Michelin which are a Consumer Reports Best Buy. They are cheap (under $10) and have worked as well or better than more expensive blades $20 and up.
Last set I used were Michelin I-beam type, and they lasted for several years (3?). They were still pretty good when I changed them. I bough Michelin again, wasn't paying attention and ended up with more conventional blade (not the I beam type). I only had them on a couple weeks and am getting squealing under certain conditions. Not all that happy with them.
tinscale

Post by tinscale »

I get the $3.88 Supertech blades at Walmart and replace as needed.

Update: Or even better, from Home Depot :beer

Last edited by tinscale on Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
staythecourse17

Post by staythecourse17 »

Are the blade insert refills available from the OEM for your model?

I just did that on my vehicle.
blaugranamd

Post by blaugranamd »

+1 for Rain-X Latitude, have a pair on my Subaru that have been on for about 3 years (and 3 winters) now and still perform well.

I was not impressed with the Michelin Stealth beam wipers when I tried them 5 years ago.
-- Don't mistake more funds for more diversity: Total Int'l + Total Market = 7k to 10k stocks -- | -- Market return does NOT = average nor 50th percentile, rather 80-90th percentile long term ---
hille141

Post by hille141 »

I'm going on 4+ years on a set of Bosch wipers from Walmart which is a long time for the cold MN winters and hot summers.

They weren't cheap but they are the best set of wiper blades I've ever had. I hate changing them so paying a couple bucks extra is worth it.
Incendiary

Post by Incendiary »

Costco wiper blades are great. Still replace once a year, though.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

MidMNtom wrote:
I found this to be true also!
I bought and installed those on my Impala and Focus. They've been excellent on the Impala, very poor (noisy, don't maintain contact) on the Focus.
Novine

Post by Novine »

Our local repair shop included new wiper blades with an oil change. I don't know the brand they used but they must have been cheap because they didn't last and did a lousy job. When one of them broke on a particularly cold day, I went to the local auto supply store and picked up the mid-level Rain X as they were discounted so I was able to get them for $10 off the regular price. They work great. We'll see how long they last but performance-wise, the difference between those and the cheap ones that preceded them made paying extra worth the price.
RetiringSomeday

Post by RetiringSomeday »

Treating the windshield with rainX periodically will help even substandard blades perform very well.

Takes very little time to do but I still get lazy and don't do it as often as I should probably. I have a buddy who uses the rainX wiper fluid but I haven't tried that myself.
eog

Post by eog »

I would also recommend the OEM refills. I change mine once a year right after winter, they are about 12 bucks a pair. There is also less waste since all you are replacing is the blade and not the whole assembly. I used to get aftermarket stuff all the time but tend to stick to OEM as much as I can these days.
smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 »

I don't like to scrimp on essential safety items for our cars. Being able to see clearly in bad weather when visibility and traction is poor is #1.

I have had excellent results with Bosch ICON and Rain-X Latitude wiper blades.

The key to wiper blade longevity is to wipe the windshield and clean off the blades frequently to get rid of abrasive particulate. This is especially true in snowy winter climates. Using a water repellent on the windshield is also highly recommended e.g. Rain-X, Aquapel
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
rec7

Post by rec7 »

I got some nice one around 15-20 at sams. I love them that was several years ago. They still work good. I think they are worth the extra money.
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

staythecourse17 wrote:Are the blade insert refills available from the OEM for your model?

I just did that on my vehicle.
Be careful replacing just the inserts as the blades tend to bend/warp over time
N10sive

Post by N10sive »

I would suggest just getting the OEM refills. In my experience with aftermarket wipers, the OEM seems to peform the best and last the longest. Refills are also very cheap.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Bosch or Michelin :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
misterno

Post by misterno »

N10sive wrote:I would suggest just getting the OEM refills. In my experience with aftermarket wipers, the OEM seems to peform the best and last the longest. Refills are also very cheap.
where do you buy refills?
squirm

Post by squirm »

Bosch Icons. They last a long time and work great. Just buy them at Wally World.
N10sive

Post by N10sive »

misterno wrote:
N10sive wrote:I would suggest just getting the OEM refills. In my experience with aftermarket wipers, the OEM seems to peform the best and last the longest. Refills are also very cheap.
Maybe online? Otherwise the only place would be the dealer. Most auto parts stores will not carry refills due to the fact they can sell you a brand new wiper blade for $15 dollars.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

N10sive wrote:
misterno wrote:
Maybe online? Otherwise the only place would be the dealer. Most auto parts stores will not carry refills due to the fact they can sell you a brand new wiper blade for $15 dollars.

Pick them up at the dealer. If you want to save a few bucks look around online for the OEM inserts. Typically there are a few dealers for every brand around the country who sell OEM parts at a discount. You can usually shortcut the search process by going on a brand's enthusiast site and asking for source recommendations.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
JoinToday

Post by JoinToday »

Dang!!! Bosch Icons seem popular.

I always went for cheap / whatever was on sale / or Costco. This year I put Bosch Icons on 2 of the cars. Ordered from Amazon, easy to put on. I can't speak about the longevity yet, but they seem to work well.
I wish I had learned about index funds 25 years ago
MnD

Post by MnD »

Goal33 wrote:I find the Goodyear ones at Costco to be the highest quality and only slightly more expensive than the cheapest ones you'd find at an automotive store.
I put those on 3 very different vehicles with a wide range of sizes and all had a very short life.
We are in Denver and they dried up and started to streak/miss and make noise within a few months.
They didn't seem to hold up to the high UV and dry air.
70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.
iceport

Post by iceport »

In 40 years of driving I have never used a better wiper than the Bosch ICON beam-type wiper blades.

— long lasting: > 2 years last time
— aerodynamic design: blades stick to windshield, no lifting even at high speeds
— besides distributing pressure evenly, the beam design eliminates the need for "winter blades"

The beam-type design is the critical feature, whatever brand you choose. I'm currently using a TRICO Flex Beam wiper, because they were deeply discounted at the time. They're just about as good, but I intend to go back to Bosh next time.

I also pair the blades with Rain-X 2-in-1 washer fluid. The combination seems to greatly enhance longevity and helps to prevent streaking.
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

I rarely get more than 6 months before the wiper blades begin to streak (very noticable at night) or sometimes might irritatingly chatter. I've tried many brands and price ranges. Oveall, I'd say Bosch Icons and the Volvo OEMs made by Bosch are in a tie for the best. I focus more on the blades not streaking than the cost ... that's just me.
ze233

Post by ze233 »

RetiringSomeday wrote:Treating the windshield with rainX periodically will help even substandard blades perform very well.

Takes very little time to do but I still get lazy and don't do it as often as I should probably. I have a buddy who uses the rainX wiper fluid but I haven't tried that myself.
+1. RainX makes mediocre blades perform like a champ. I spray it on every season. 3 year old goodyear costco blades still work well.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

ze233 wrote:
RetiringSomeday wrote:Treating the windshield with rainX periodically will help even substandard blades perform very well.

+1. RainX makes mediocre blades perform like a champ. I spray it on every season. 3 year old goodyear costco blades still work well.
Be careful with Rain-X if you don't like a streaky windshield. I put it on one car and regretted the decision until the day I replaced the windshield.
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

I bought a pair of Goodyear blades at Costco, and my friend and I struggled to put them on my Camry. Was it me, or us? We are both pretty handy and mechanically savvy. For some reason, these were just a bear.

I returned them to Costco, pulled into a Firestone, and used a coupon I downloaded to get new blades. They work great. Can't remember the brand or what they cost, and don't really care. When I need new blades, that's where I plan to get 'em.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 »

FrugalInvestor wrote:Be careful with Rain-X if you don't like a streaky windshield. I put it on one car and regretted the decision until the day I replaced the windshield.
That is one annoying thing about Rain-X. The windshield streaks when the Rain-X wears off. The answer is regular reapplication of Rain-X. If the streaking is really bad, clean everything off the windshield (I use dishwashing detergent or rubbing alcohol), dry it, and then reapply Rain-X.
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

smackboy1 wrote:
FrugalInvestor wrote:Be careful with Rain-X if you don't like a streaky windshield. I put it on one car and regretted the decision until the day I replaced the windshield.
That is one annoying thing about Rain-X. The windshield streaks when the Rain-X wears off. The answer is regular reapplication of Rain-X. If the streaking is really bad, clean everything off the windshield (I use dishwashing detergent or rubbing alcohol), dry it, and then reapply Rain-X.
I tried everything (detergents, chemicals, etc.) and never could get rid of it completely....other than changing the windshield.