Where to buy rare steaks?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Captain_Video

Re: Where to buy rare steaks?

Post by Captain_Video » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:33 pm

Caboose

Post by Caboose » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:59 pm

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:22 pm

bostondan wrote:However, the real solution is cooking the steak sous vide.
I had never heard of this before. Couldn't even pronounce it properly. I did a little research and it's pretty interesting. Researching that however sent me to an article on the "reverse sear" style of cooking steak and I think I am going to try that first. No equipment needed. The author actually refers to sous vide and notes the expensive equipment at that time was why he came up with the reverse sear method.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2017/03/how- ... steak.html

P.S. My apologies if this was already linked somewhere in this thread as I have not read all the replies.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

yatesd

Post by yatesd » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:39 pm

I would think the best rare steaks come from rare cows.
https://www.rbst.org.uk/Rare-and-Native-Breeds/Cattle

aredhel

Post by aredhel » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:04 pm

If you're up for a splurge, try Morgan Ranch: https://morganranchinc.com/en. Their beef is outstanding!

bostondan

Post by bostondan » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:40 am

pennstater2005 wrote: I had never heard of this before. Couldn't even pronounce it properly. I did a little research and it's pretty interesting. Researching that however sent me to an article on the "reverse sear" style of cooking steak and I think I am going to try that first. No equipment needed. The author actually refers to sous vide and notes the expensive equipment at that time was why he came up with the reverse sear method.

P.S. My apologies if this was already linked somewhere in this thread as I have not read all the replies.
I've tried the reverse sear and it is also delicious. In fact it is what got me inspired to make a perfect steak. The main advantage of sous vide over this method, in my opinion, are the following:

1. Sous vide is more precise. There is still a risk of overcooking with the reverse sear. There is essentially no risk of overcooking with sous vide as long as you can follow the simplest of directions.

2. Reverse sear requires checking the temperature intermittently. Sous vide is truly set it and forget it.

3. I can time my sous vide to be ready whenever I want and have some flexibility. If my family isn't quite ready for dinner at 6:30pm, then I take the steak out at 7:00pm instead and it's just as good.

4. I cook lots of other things sous vide too, so it's useful to have one and they're not overly expensive (Anova goes on sale frequently).

5. Again, it's literally so easy that there is no barrier to doing it. It also has removed the anxiety of serving steak when friends come over. I used to be worried I'd overcook it and ruin it. Now I get it perfect every time.
“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” - Elie Wiesel

auggiedoggies

Post by auggiedoggies » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:43 am

pennstater2005 wrote:
bostondan wrote:However, the real solution is cooking the steak sous vide.
I had never heard of this before. Couldn't even pronounce it properly. I did a little research and it's pretty interesting. Researching that however sent me to an article on the "reverse sear" style of cooking steak and I think I am going to try that first. No equipment needed. The author actually refers to sous vide and notes the expensive equipment at that time was why he came up with the reverse sear method.

Agree 100% with sous vide. I also have an Anova. Easily the best kitchen purchase I've ever made. The most tender and moist chicken, pork, and steak that you could possibly imagine.

bostondan

Post by bostondan » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:47 am

pshonore wrote:So how long would you cook a 1 lb steak at 131 (or at 137). And if you are cooking three, it would be the same time, correct? How do you seal your bags?
I realized I didn't answer the question of how to cook three. If you are cooking three at the same temperature, you are correct that you put them all in for the same amount of time. The bags are all vacuum sealed with the FoodSaver.

If not everybody likes steak done the same amount, you can cook multiple steaks at different temperatures but it takes longer. You would do the following:

Let's say one person wants a steak done at 131F and the other at 137F, such as me and my wife:

1. Set temperature to 137F.
2. Place first steak in water.
3. Cook however long you planned to cook the first steak. One hour for fresh steak, 1.5-2 hours for frozen.
4. Set temperature to 131F. Do NOT remove the first steak.
5. Place second steak in water.
6. Again cook however long you planned to cook the second steak. One hour for fresh steak, 1.5-2 hours for frozen.
7. Remove both when finished (approximately 3-4 hours total, but not more than 4).
8. Sear both steaks with some sizzling hot oil (canola or vegetable) and a little butter.
9. Enjoy your creation.

You will now have one steak that is approximately medium and one that is medium-rare. As long as the first steak does not stay in for longer than 4 hours there will be no change in texture and it will be perfectly cooked. It will already have been cooked to medium by the initial temperature of 137F and the lower 131F temperature will keep it warm without causing any problems.
“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” - Elie Wiesel

MI_bogle

Post by MI_bogle » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:49 am

And for those that have a crock pot (the manual ones, not a digital one) you can buy a Inkbird Temp Controller for about 35 bucks online, and basically convert your crock pot into a sous vide machine for a fraction of the price of most dedicated sous vide machines

Seriously, once you do steak sous vide you will not want to go back to any other way of cooking it

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:42 pm

pshonore wrote:
bostondan wrote:We buy steaks from Costco, our local grocery store, Trader Joes, Whole Foods, whoever else is convenient at the moment.

When cooked using the cast iron and the oven, we've found that the Costco steaks actually fare the best. They're bigger than typical grocery store steaks and maybe that helps. I was surprised by this. We usually buy rib eye and tenderloin, though they have many other options. I've tried the more and less expensive cuts and they are all good.

However, the real solution is cooking the steak sous vide. We have an Anova cooker (can get it on Amazon) that we use to sous vide cook all our steaks these days. We do it frequently. I then sear them on the cast iron, or occasionally put them in the broiler. The quality of the end result compared to standard steak cooking is like night and day. I have always been pretty good at making steak, but my sous vide steaks are absurdly delicious.

Every single steak ends up delicious when made sous vide, even the cheaper ones. I think the Costco ones are still best, but all the rest are still great and completely acceptable when made this way. My preference is a medium rare steak cooked at around 131F. My wife prefers 137F.

Lastly, you can cook your steak rare much more easily with sous vide. You end up with a uniformly rare steak rather than a raw steak. Just be careful about how long you cook it for if doing rare. When cooking at temperatures over 130F it is much more forgiving (with respect to food safety) because that kills all the bacteria.
So how long would you cook a 1 lb steak at 131 (or at 137). And if you are cooking three, it would be the same time, correct? How do you seal your bags?
You're going to cook that steak for a couple hours. Or as long as you want. The great thing about sous vide is there is a min time and no maximum. The key is to get the right size container to fit 3 steaks and still have room for the water to circulate between them. 1 Staek per bag. I've used a 12-14 QT Rubbermaid container with a wire rack on top and some binder clips to hold the bags and let them dangle in the water. I just use plain old ziploc storage bags, seal them 3/4 way slowly lower into water and close after the air escapes.

The other method to a pretty good steak is to cook low and slow at 225(Need to get 1.75 inch thick steak) never turn or flip. Meat thermometer check to about 10 degrees below where you want them. Take them off. Crank the heat all the way, Thin coat of olive oil, sprinkle pepper and sear each side.

mudd

Post by mudd » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:56 pm

While I will admit the possibility of Sous Vide being a more reliable and better way to cook a steak....I will take a Weber grill every day!

bostondan

Post by bostondan » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:59 pm

mudd wrote:While I will admit the possibility of Sous Vide being a more reliable and better way to cook a steak....I will take a Weber grill every day!
Why limit yourself to one or the other? The absolutely best steak is one cooked sous vide and then finished on the grill!

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:06 pm

wfrobinette wrote:The other method to a pretty good steak is to cook low and slow at 225(Need to get 1.75 inch thick steak) never turn or flip. Meat thermometer check to about 10 degrees below where you want them. Take them off. Crank the heat all the way, Thin coat of olive oil, sprinkle pepper and sear each side.
That's the way I typically do it - although it takes a long time, it's worth it. I use vegetable oil, though, as olive oil's smokepoint is lower than sear temperature.

I will have to try sous vide (finished on the Weber) one of these days soon.

JT

mudd

Post by mudd » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:20 pm

bostondan wrote:
mudd wrote:While I will admit the possibility of Sous Vide being a more reliable and better way to cook a steak....I will take a Weber grill every day!
Why limit yourself to one or the other? The absolutely best steak is one cooked sous vide and then finished on the grill!
Primary reason is time.
I don't typically start cooking until I'm hungry....

15-20 minutes for coals to get hot....5-10 minutes max cook time. I'm ready to eat!

I'd be on my 2nd after dinner drink staring at the firepit and you'd still be looking at 1.5 hours to chow time.

Not intending to denigrate your way...just doesn't work for me. 8^)

bostondan

Post by bostondan » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:26 pm

mudd wrote:
bostondan wrote:
Primary reason is time.

15-20 minutes for coals to get hot....5-10 minutes max cook time. I'm ready to eat!

I'd be on my 2nd after dinner drink staring at the firepit and you'd still be looking at 1.5 hours to chow time.

That's fair, but I would almost not count the time spent using the sous vide as "cooking." Actually, about five minutes ago I popped in a chicken breast that I'm planning to eat when my wife gets home at 7pm. It took me all of about 1 minute to get it set up and going. Now I just go do whatever I want until it's done and know with 100% certainty that it'll be perfect.

Let's make a deal. You cook me a steak on your grill and I'll cook you a steak sous vide. We can decide which is better. Either way, we both get to eat two excellent steaks.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:38 pm

No experience with Costco other than with choice filets, but have heard they do sell prime cuts if asked. Kansas City Steak is the one we use, Omaha steaks has not been a positive experience for us. Also, a local, popular steak restaurant has a shop where they sell the meat they cook for home cooking. Your city may have one as well.

Tim

mudd

Post by mudd » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:43 pm

bostondan wrote:
mudd wrote:
bostondan wrote:
Primary reason is time.

That's fair, but I would almost not count the time spent using the sous vide as "cooking." Actually, about five minutes ago I popped in a chicken breast that I'm planning to eat when my wife gets home at 7pm. It took me all of about 1 minute to get it set up and going. Now I just go do whatever I want until it's done and know with 100% certainty that it'll be perfect.

Let's make a deal. You cook me a steak on your grill and I'll cook you a steak sous vide. We can decide which is better. Either way, we both get to eat two excellent steaks.
8^) Fair enough!

I made a deal with the wife when we got married. She cooks in the Winter and I grill all Summer.
Best deal I ever made........

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:50 pm

OP should be looking for aged meat not rare meat.
YMMV
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo