New car for wife and what to do with old car

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Purpose311

New car for wife and what to do with old car

Post by Purpose311 »

So, I think it may be time to get my wife a new vehicle. She currently has a 2005 Accord V6 with 85k on the odometer. It is leather with navigation and has had no maintenance issues. We currently have an 18 month old and are planning on having another child soon. My wife is not in favor of a minivan and wants a small suv. She likes Honda because it is what she is used to. Does any young family have any experience with what car works best in the small suv category? I have researched like crazy and I would like to have something reliable with the current safety features (collision warning etc..). I like the reliability of Toyota, but the Rav4 interior leaves a lot to be desired. We looked at the 2017 CRV and I was very impressed with the quality of that vehicle. My concern with that is the higher end models have a 1.8 turbo and I worry about the reliability of that. I also have looked at the Subaru Forrester (I have a 2012 outback and I love it). Any insight would be helpful. Oh, and I would like to keep the price below $35k out the door. I have searched and it seems her old car may only be worth about $8k. Not sure if we should try to CarMax it or private party sale.
deanbrew

Re: New car for wife and what to do with old car

Post by deanbrew »

What do you gain by switching to a CRV/RAV4/Forester type vehicle compared to your Accord? I would think you have more back seat room in the Accord than those other vehicles.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson
Topic Author
Purpose311

Post by Purpose311 »

deanbrew wrote:What do you gain by switching to a CRV/RAV4/Forester type vehicle compared to your Accord? I would think you have more back seat room in the Accord than those other vehicles.
I agree. Well, it is a bit more difficult loading children in the back of a car versus an suv. Also, I am interested in having more modern safety.
NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink »

See this recent thread on Honda Odyssey.
viewtopic.php?t=210698

A great practical car that can handle people, cargo, and combinations thereof. Also a minivan.

If she wants practical and likes Honda, check it out. The CRV is ok, but not nearly as flexible and kid friendly (think of sliding vs. hinged doors in tight parking spaces while dealing with a car seat and diaper bag).

If she can't stand the thought of driving a minivan ever, then she should be free to make that choice, too. But I'm not crazy about CRV handling, check it out yourself.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

Rent a minivan for a week. Then rent a small SUV. Your wife will love the minivan. If she doesn't, her inconvenience with a small SUV is (mostly) not your problem.

JT
denovo

Post by denovo »

Purpose311 wrote: I have searched and it seems her old car may only be worth about $8k. Not sure if we should try to CarMax it or private party sale.
For the used car, there's a correlation between how much work you want to put into it and how much money you'll get of it.

To get the most money do a private party sale, which will involve taking a few pics, cleaning out the car, advertising it, and making some time out of your day to show the car to others. Or you can give it to CarMax/trade it in to the dealer in which case you'll get at least 2-3k less.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
Topic Author
Purpose311

Post by Purpose311 »

NotWhoYouThink wrote:See this recent thread on Honda Odyssey.
viewtopic.php?t=210698

A great practical car that can handle people, cargo, and combinations thereof. Also a minivan.

If she wants practical and likes Honda, check it out. The CRV is ok, but not nearly as flexible and kid friendly (think of sliding vs. hinged doors in tight parking spaces while dealing with a car seat and diaper bag).

If she can't stand the thought of driving a minivan ever, then she should be free to make that choice, too. But I'm not crazy about CRV handling, check it out yourself.
I agree 100% about the Odyssey, but she absolutely refuses to even consider it. I don't want to be the one to blame on it. Any other recommendations for a small family?
alec

Post by alec »

Purpose311.

When my two kids were young, my wife had a CRV and I had a Civic. To me the CRV just felt like an accord that was higher - i.e. you didn't have to bend down to get in or put stuff in it. It drove more like an car (Accord) than a truck/SUV (e.g. Pilot). Also you could put the back seat down for extra hauling capacity (without the kids in the car). The CRV was perfectly fine for the four of us. Also, we didn't want to get a higher end car because we foresaw that our kids would cause all kinds of messes in it, and boy were we correct. :twisted:

I didn't really mind me Civic with the two kids in it. Yes it felt a little cramped, but it was really easy to reach them if needed, which was often. I would imagine the Accord would be similar. Again, I correctly predicted that my kids would cause lots of messes in it, so I didn't want to get a nicer car/version.

We then transitioned from the CRV to a (used) minivan, and then onto a (used) Pilot when my wife decided the minivan was "too mommy," though I offered to be the main driver of a minivan. I'd look hard at the CR-V if she's dead set against the minivan, but not a high end expensive CR-V b/c kids can destroy cars.

w/r/t selling the current Accord, I guess it depends on how involved you want to be. Selling it to Carmax probably won't get you the most money, but I found it too be really easy and the least hassle, but then again, I'm a satisficer not a maximizer.

-Alec
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!" - Upton Sinclair
dm200

Post by dm200 »

bottlecap wrote:Rent a minivan for a week. Then rent a small SUV. Your wife will love the minivan. If she doesn't, her inconvenience with a small SUV is (mostly) not your problem.
JT
As a minivan fan (we had an early Dodge Caravan purchased in 1984) I agree.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

A think you could function pretty well as a younger family - one or two smaller kids - in a vehicle like a CRV. Another nice choice is the Mazda CX-5. It won't be as practical as an Odyssey, but you should probably be able to function fine and the CRV can haul some moderate loads if you fold down the rear seats and leave the kids with grandma or aunt Sally.

You really can't beat a minivan when the kids get older and you want to pile all of your stuff in and take a vacation. We had a Dodge minivan when our kids were small, looked at small SUVs when we wore that out but realized there's no way we could take two teenage boys and a load of luggage for a week long beach vacation in a CRV, Ford Edge, Forrester or the like. We ended up with an Odyssey which I know wasn't my wife's first choice but we are practical people for the most part and it just made the most sense.
mhc

Post by mhc »

I bought a CR-V for my wife for our first child. She had a Civic. The CR-V was great. Large cargo area for all the baby gear needed while traveling. The cargo area also doubled as a play pen at stops during day trips. The distance from front seat to rear seat was great, because the passenger could easily reach the child in the rear seat.

After our second child, my DW got an Odyssey, and I got the CR-V. The power sliding doors and larger size has served us well. The power sliding doors are so wonderful when you have a child in one hand and a baby carrier in the other. Also the large cargo area makes hauling the stroller much easier. Since the Odyssey is lower than the CR-V, it makes getting everything in and out easier. I think the 3rd row access is much better in a mini-van as compared to a SUV.

Both cars have held up for 10+ years.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Drive some vehicles. Bring both car seats and the base (if the infant seat has a base). See how much space there is between the front seats and rear seats. See how much space there is across and between the car seats.

It is likely that the Accord has more (or the same) amount of space as compared to a Rav4 or CRV. Drive a few that you might not consider. Try a Ford Edge or a new Chrysler Pacifica. Maybe a CPO Lexus RX-350 is in the same price range but offers more luxury.

My wife was one of the "I will never drive a mini-van people". So, I drove the mini-van for 7 years. :wink: They are well equipped, comfortable, drive good, get better gas mileage as compare to an SUV. We took the mini-van on all family trips with me driving. Wife drove a mid-sized SUV the whole time.

We had the DVD system for long drives and plenty of space in the back. But we also have 3 kids which ups the ante a bit. Now you need the 3rd row. Suburban, Expedition, Yukon XL. There are smaller 3 row SUVs where the 3rd row is "kid sized".

For simplicity, trade in your Accord. You won't get Private Party.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
William4u

Post by William4u »

Purpose311 wrote:
NotWhoYouThink wrote:See this recent thread on Honda Odyssey.
viewtopic.php?t=210698

I agree 100% about the Odyssey, but she absolutely refuses to even consider it. I don't want to be the one to blame on it. Any other recommendations for a small family?
Sister was in the same situation... "No way I'll drive a minivan," she said. Then 2nd kid comes, and her Pilot SUV becomes very crammed. She got an Odyssey and loves it now. Perfect for a family of four or more.

How much is she willing to suffer for her desire to avoid being a soccer-mom-in-a-minivan?
rguina

Post by rguina »

Purpose311 wrote:So, I think it may be time to get my wife a new vehicle. She currently has a 2005 Accord V6 with 85k on the odometer. It is leather with navigation and has had no maintenance issues. We currently have an 18 month old and are planning on having another child soon. My wife is not in favor of a minivan and wants a small suv. She likes Honda because it is what she is used to. Does any young family have any experience with what car works best in the small suv category? I have researched like crazy and I would like to have something reliable with the current safety features (collision warning etc..). I like the reliability of Toyota, but the Rav4 interior leaves a lot to be desired. We looked at the 2017 CRV and I was very impressed with the quality of that vehicle. My concern with that is the higher end models have a 1.8 turbo and I worry about the reliability of that. I also have looked at the Subaru Forrester (I have a 2012 outback and I love it). Any insight would be helpful. Oh, and I would like to keep the price below $35k out the door. I have searched and it seems her old car may only be worth about $8k. Not sure if we should try to CarMax it or private party sale.
A few months ago I thought I needed to replace my car (thought the transmission was acting up; false alarm). I have a Mazda3 and I wanted to upgrade the size to the small SUV category (4 person family, 2 kids under age 10).

The small SUV class is a very competitive market segment, and there is a lot of value. In particular, I was looking into the Honda CRV, Toyota Rav4, Subaru Forester, and Ford Escape. Several others didn't make my short list for various reasons such as reliability, features, safety, etc. The Mazda C-X5 was mentioned, but it didn't have as much room in the back seat as the others I considered. But it gets great reviews and is worth consideration, depending on your needs.

Honda CRV. I couldn't stand the Honda CRV. Many on these forums rave about them. I also have an Odyssey and we've owned an Accord. I love Honda reliability. But the CVT transmission in the CRV was terrible. I drove two different 2016 models, both brand new. One of them vibrated so much at highway speeds that I could feel my arms tingling 15 minutes after my test drive. I only drove the car for about 20 minutes. The CVT was also louder than many other vehicles. Other than that, I thought it was an excellent car - quality, handling, features, comfort, etc. But I scratched the CRV off my list. I will note that this may have been the specific models I drove, or the transmission issue may have been remedied in the 2017 model. But there is no way I would buy either of the vehicles I drove.

Toyota Rav 4. The standard Toyota Rav4 was uninspiring, but I liked the Hybrid model. That latter has more power, AWD, and best in class gas mileage. I would consider one of these as my next vehicle.

Subaru Forester. The Subaru Forester also has a CVT transmission, but unlike the Honda, it was exceptionally smooth and quiet. The XT (turbo version) is very smooth and has plenty of power. The turbo version requires premium gas, so keep that in mind. The Subaru is probably the most utilitarian of this group. And the base model skips out on some creature comforts found in other models and the standard radio isn't very good (premium Harmon Kardon radio is excellent). But it comes standard with AWD, gets good mileage (non-turbo), has amazing visibility out of the front and side windows, and has excellent safety features. This is the only model of the 4 I considered that didn't offer rear air from the center console. Not a deal breaker, but it's nice for rear passengers.

Ford Escape. The Ford Escape is the best bang for the buck out of these models. I think the previous 3 may win out in long-term reliability, and they win in resale value. But the Ford Escape packs a lot of features into an affordable package. The Sync3 infotainment system has both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto and links to multiple apps. The premium stereo system sounds great. Gas mileage is competitive, seats are comfortable, and there is enough room in the back seat for an adult. Back seats also recline.

I don't think there is a wrong choice. I think all four of the above vehicles are worth strong consideration. I didn't like the Honda transmission. But it's possible I drove two different bad apples. It's also possible the 2017 models have improved upon this. My favorite was the fully loaded Subaru XT with the premium radio. But that brings it to the mid-upper $30's and requires premium gas, so it's a bit more expensive. The Toyota is a reliable, but uninspiring pick. Nothing wrong with that of course. Just personal preferences. The Ford Escape offers the best bang for the buck, and lightly used models can be had for thousands less than invoice (the others all hold their residual value much longer). From a value perspective, it almost makes sense to buy the Honda, Toyota, or Subaru new, and the Ford used. Remember, resale value is less important if you plan on keeping the car to the end of its useful life.

Final note: I didn't consider any luxury vehicles, but you may be able to find an affordable used version of the Lexus, Acura, or other makes in your low - $30k range. Of particular note, I previously didn't consider the Lincoln MKC. The MSRP starts around $33,000. This is the luxury version of the Ford Escape, but looks nothing like it on either the interior or exterior. It's a fine looking vehicle and I will give it strong consideration when it's time to look at vehicles again. Again, a used Lincoln should offer a lot of value.

I hope this helps.
Topic Author
Purpose311

Post by Purpose311 »

rguina wrote:
Purpose311 wrote:So, I think it may be time to get my wife a new vehicle. She currently has a 2005 Accord V6 with 85k on the odometer. It is leather with navigation and has had no maintenance issues. We currently have an 18 month old and are planning on having another child soon. My wife is not in favor of a minivan and wants a small suv. She likes Honda because it is what she is used to. Does any young family have any experience with what car works best in the small suv category? I have researched like crazy and I would like to have something reliable with the current safety features (collision warning etc..). I like the reliability of Toyota, but the Rav4 interior leaves a lot to be desired. We looked at the 2017 CRV and I was very impressed with the quality of that vehicle. My concern with that is the higher end models have a 1.8 turbo and I worry about the reliability of that. I also have looked at the Subaru Forrester (I have a 2012 outback and I love it). Any insight would be helpful. Oh, and I would like to keep the price below $35k out the door. I have searched and it seems her old car may only be worth about $8k. Not sure if we should try to CarMax it or private party sale.
A few months ago I thought I needed to replace my car (thought the transmission was acting up; false alarm). I have a Mazda3 and I wanted to upgrade the size to the small SUV category (4 person family, 2 kids under age 10).

The small SUV class is a very competitive market segment, and there is a lot of value. In particular, I was looking into the Honda CRV, Toyota Rav4, Subaru Forester, and Ford Escape. Several others didn't make my short list for various reasons such as reliability, features, safety, etc. The Mazda C-X5 was mentioned, but it didn't have as much room in the back seat as the others I considered. But it gets great reviews and is worth consideration, depending on your needs.

Honda CRV. I couldn't stand the Honda CRV. Many on these forums rave about them. I also have an Odyssey and we've owned an Accord. I love Honda reliability. But the CVT transmission in the CRV was terrible. I drove two different 2016 models, both brand new. One of them vibrated so much at highway speeds that I could feel my arms tingling 15 minutes after my test drive. I only drove the car for about 20 minutes. The CVT was also louder than many other vehicles. Other than that, I thought it was an excellent car - quality, handling, features, comfort, etc. But I scratched the CRV off my list. I will note that this may have been the specific models I drove, or the transmission issue may have been remedied in the 2017 model. But there is no way I would buy either of the vehicles I drove.

Toyota Rav 4. The standard Toyota Rav4 was uninspiring, but I liked the Hybrid model. That latter has more power, AWD, and best in class gas mileage. I would consider one of these as my next vehicle.

Subaru Forester. The Subaru Forester also has a CVT transmission, but unlike the Honda, it was exceptionally smooth and quiet. The XT (turbo version) is very smooth and has plenty of power. The turbo version requires premium gas, so keep that in mind. The Subaru is probably the most utilitarian of this group. And the base model skips out on some creature comforts found in other models and the standard radio isn't very good (premium Harmon Kardon radio is excellent). But it comes standard with AWD, gets good mileage (non-turbo), has amazing visibility out of the front and side windows, and has excellent safety features. This is the only model of the 4 I considered that didn't offer rear air from the center console. Not a deal breaker, but it's nice for rear passengers.

Ford Escape. The Ford Escape is the best bang for the buck out of these models. I think the previous 3 may win out in long-term reliability, and they win in resale value. But the Ford Escape packs a lot of features into an affordable package. The Sync3 infotainment system has both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto and links to multiple apps. The premium stereo system sounds great. Gas mileage is competitive, seats are comfortable, and there is enough room in the back seat for an adult. Back seats also recline.

I don't think there is a wrong choice. I think all four of the above vehicles are worth strong consideration. I didn't like the Honda transmission. But it's possible I drove two different bad apples. It's also possible the 2017 models have improved upon this. My favorite was the fully loaded Subaru XT with the premium radio. But that brings it to the mid-upper $30's and requires premium gas, so it's a bit more expensive. The Toyota is a reliable, but uninspiring pick. Nothing wrong with that of course. Just personal preferences. The Ford Escape offers the best bang for the buck, and lightly used models can be had for thousands less than invoice (the others all hold their residual value much longer). From a value perspective, it almost makes sense to buy the Honda, Toyota, or Subaru new, and the Ford used. Remember, resale value is less important if you plan on keeping the car to the end of its useful life.

Final note: I didn't consider any luxury vehicles, but you may be able to find an affordable used version of the Lexus, Acura, or other makes in your low - $30k range. Of particular note, I previously didn't consider the Lincoln MKC. The MSRP starts around $33,000. This is the luxury version of the Ford Escape, but looks nothing like it on either the interior or exterior. It's a fine looking vehicle and I will give it strong consideration when it's time to look at vehicles again. Again, a used Lincoln should offer a lot of value.

I hope this helps.
It definitely helps and I appreciate your input. I agree about the CVT, and the reliability factor of it worries me. I am a Toyota guy (owned a 2004 Tacoma trouble free for over 10 years). And, reliability and safety are on the top of my list. I actually test drove the forester and absolutely loved it. I know that we need to go test drive and look to see how seats will fit, etc....also keep in mind we will have this car for 10 years. I too am considering the Lexus RX350 with very low mileage. I am not a fan of the new styling at all and would like a 2016 or older.
rguina

Post by rguina »

Purpose311 wrote:It definitely helps and I appreciate your input. I agree about the CVT, and the reliability factor of it worries me. I am a Toyota guy (owned a 2004 Tacoma trouble free for over 10 years). And, reliability and safety are on the top of my list. I actually test drove the forester and absolutely loved it. I know that we need to go test drive and look to see how seats will fit, etc....also keep in mind we will have this car for 10 years. I too am considering the Lexus RX350 with very low mileage. I am not a fan of the new styling at all and would like a 2016 or older.

My pleasure.

Funny thing about the CVTs - the smoothest transmission I drove was the Subaru, which also has a CVT. The worst was the Honda.

The Ford Escape and Toyota Rav 4 both have a 6-speed transmission.

The Lexus is a great vehicle and should serve you well. I agree on the older models. The new "facelift" doesn't appeal to me either. :)
Topic Author
Purpose311

Post by Purpose311 »

rguina wrote:
Purpose311 wrote:It definitely helps and I appreciate your input. I agree about the CVT, and the reliability factor of it worries me. I am a Toyota guy (owned a 2004 Tacoma trouble free for over 10 years). And, reliability and safety are on the top of my list. I actually test drove the forester and absolutely loved it. I know that we need to go test drive and look to see how seats will fit, etc....also keep in mind we will have this car for 10 years. I too am considering the Lexus RX350 with very low mileage. I am not a fan of the new styling at all and would like a 2016 or older.

My pleasure.

Funny thing about the CVTs - the smoothest transmission I drove was the Subaru, which also has a CVT. The worst was the Honda.

The Ford Escape and Toyota Rav 4 both have a 6-speed transmission.

The Lexus is a great vehicle and should serve you well. I agree on the older models. The new "facelift" doesn't appeal to me either. :)
I have a 2012 Outback with the CVT and it feels really smooth. I've heard poor things about the Honda and Nissan CRV's. The escape looks very nice, but appears a bit smaller than either the CRV or Forester. I wish the Rav 4 had a nicer information system. But for only a few thousand more I'm strongly considering a low mileage Lexus RX.
Last edited by Purpose311 on Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jamieson22

Post by Jamieson22 »

You already have an Outback which is a great car for a small family (I have a 2013 Outback and a 6 and 4 year old). Any reason your wife can't drive that if she hauls kids more and you take the Accord?
Topic Author
Purpose311

Post by Purpose311 »

Jamieson22 wrote:You already have an Outback which is a great car for a small family (I have a 2013 Outback and a 6 and 4 year old). Any reason your wife can't drive that if she hauls kids more and you take the Accord?
Interesting you say that. I told her to take my car and I will take the Accord and drive it into the ground. She had no interest in that!
deanbrew

Post by deanbrew »

Purpose311 wrote:
Jamieson22 wrote:You already have an Outback which is a great car for a small family (I have a 2013 Outback and a 6 and 4 year old). Any reason your wife can't drive that if she hauls kids more and you take the Accord?
Interesting you say that. I told her to take my car and I will take the Accord and drive it into the ground. She had no interest in that!

I'd say you better let your wife pick the vehicle, then. The Outback would seem to meet the ostensible parameters, but she doesn't want it. You can go along to nod your head. It's hard to do, but necessary for matrimonial harmony.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson
corysold

Post by corysold »

We had a 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe when we had two kids and it was nice. Big trunk, up high enough you didn't have to bend too much.

But I admit I haven't kept up with the SUV specs and have no idea how the newer ones are.

We moved on to an Odyssey.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

+1
Purpose311 wrote:She currently has a 2005 Accord V6 with 85k on the odometer. It is leather with navigation and has had no maintenance issues.
I have researched like crazy and I would like to have something reliable with the current safety features (collision warning etc..).
...I have searched and it seems her old car may only be worth about $8k. Not sure if we should try to CarMax it or private party sale.
A lot of small SUVs don't have the latest or best safety features on all their cars. Some only have them on the top end or as options. From your research, which cars have your desired safety features?

Your car is worth more then $8K, but you'll be lucky to get $5k from Carmax. Sell it yourself. Or even better, buy it yourself and drive it. (i.e. keep it)
Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino »

the 18 month old is approaching the age (well maybe a year or more still) where he she/can climb into the car him/herself... as long as the car isn't too tall.
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

If you want room to grow and space for friends I'd also look at a Highlander/Pilot for the 3rd row similar to a minivan.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Easy Rhino wrote:the 18 month old is approaching the age (well maybe a year or more still) where he she/can climb into the car him/herself... as long as the car isn't too tall.
Another area where a mini-van shines. Low step in and automatic/push button doors that any age kid can operate. You also don't have to worry about a 2 or 3 year old opening a big heavy door and having it clunk into the car next to you.
CoAndy

Post by CoAndy »

In our household, we have a 2012 Honda Accord and a 2015 Honda CRV. Both have been fantastic vehicles and have been great for hauling around kids and other "stuff".
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I would be curious why your wife doesn't like the Outback idea. Back when our son was about 2, we bought an S-10 Blazer because we found it so easy to put his car seat into my S-10 pickup at the time. The current Outback is about the same size as that old SUV. I don't know what the seat height is compared to these other SUVs, but you might want to take a tape measure and figure that out. To us, the Outback has gotten so big, we consider it an SUV and after 2 Outbacks in a row, when we bought our latest replacement, we bought a Crosstrek as it's a more reasonable size for us (youngest is 16).
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
rguina

Post by rguina »

Purpose311 wrote: I have a 2012 Outback with the CVT and it feels really smooth. I've heard poor things about the Honda and Nissan CRV's. The escape looks very nice, but appears a bit smaller than either the CRV or Forester. I wish the Rav 4 had a nicer information system. But for only a few thousand more I'm strongly considering a low mileage Lexus RX.

Best I can say is to view them all in person to see which ones you like. I went to CarMax and was able to look at quite a few recent models from each brand. This helped me eliminate a few right off the bat, like the Mazda CX-5 and the Chevy SUV. The Mazda wasn't as roomy as the others I looked at. I think the Chevy was similar, but I don't recall off the top of my head. This class is so competitive, that you can eliminate some from contention for small reasons and still end up with an excellent vehicle.

My test for the size was to sit in the driver seat and get everything set up for my size. Then I got in the rear seat. I'm the largest in my family at 6', so if I fit, everyone else in my family should have plenty of room. There was plenty of room in the back seat of all the four cars I mentioned.

The cargo capacity seemed fairly comparable for most of them. I don't have the specs off the top of my head, but I didn't notice a huge difference. I would just take a quick trip to CarMax or another big dealer to see the various models for yourself.

And yes, the Toyota infotainment system isn't the best. Of the group, I was most impressed with Ford's premium stereo (Sync 3), followed by the Subaru Harmon Kardon.
nymeria.stark

Post by nymeria.stark »

Purpose311 wrote:
Speaking as a wife...who sometimes wants what she wants...I think I'd do the same thing. :) I wonder if the issue is that the Outback is pretty wagon-y. A woman who hates the idea of a minivan may also hate the idea of a station wagon. The Forester, CRV and Rav 4 all avoid that look. The heart has its reasons.

A Chevy Traverse might be another option for her. Doesn't look like a wagon or a minivan, tons of room, and it's getting good reviews, from what I can remember.
Just a girl, standing in front of her finances, asking them to make more sense.
Topic Author
Purpose311

Post by Purpose311 »

nymeria.stark wrote:
Purpose311 wrote:
Speaking as a wife...who sometimes wants what she wants...I think I'd do the same thing. :) I wonder if the issue is that the Outback is pretty wagon-y. A woman who hates the idea of a minivan may also hate the idea of a station wagon. The Forester, CRV and Rav 4 all avoid that look. The heart has its reasons.

A Chevy Traverse might be another option for her. Doesn't look like a wagon or a minivan, tons of room, and it's getting good reviews, from what I can remember.
Definitely appreciate the input from a wife. I think she wants to have the option to choose her own car. We did go to look at the new CRV and she loved it. We have not driven it yet. However, as previously mentioned, my concern is maintenance on a turbo as well as CVT transmission. I don't think she wants a large suv (even a 3 row Highlander or Traverse are too big for her).
wstrdg

Post by wstrdg »

Since you have children, check out this website, Institute of Highway Safety for 2 factors: (1) crash worthiness & (2) crash avoidance/mitigation
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings

We are a Honda family, but this site convinced us that Subaru Forester beat the Honda CRV when it came to safety.
SurferLife

Post by SurferLife »

Something to consider, but rear-facing car seats in a small SUV might not even fit. I have an older mid-size 4Runner and a rear-facing car seat is an extremely tight fit and not all models can even fit. I would suggest moving up to a mid-size for the space needed for a rear-facing car seat. The Pilot and 4Runner are excellent choices. Oh, I wish my wife would get an Odyssey, but she is of the same anti-minivan mindset. You might also consider a Toyota Highlander.
traveltoomuch

Post by traveltoomuch »

denovo wrote: For the used car, there's a correlation between how much work you want to put into it and how much money you'll get of it.

To get the most money do a private party sale, which will involve taking a few pics, cleaning out the car, advertising it, and making some time out of your day to show the car to others. ...
I've done this a couple of times and it was not a hassle at all. My suggestion: be very detailed and accurate in your description and pictures - the less you say, the more someone will need to see the car to evaluate it, which could mean more time/effort showing it to people who ultimately aren't interested. If you hide things, that's just more reason for someone who thought they wanted the pristine car you (inaccurately) described to change their mind. I would rather deal with fewer potential buyers but have those be serious ones who already know they want my car, despite its known and disclosed flaws.

Expect to get some scammer replies, but those will be every easy to sort out (they want to mail you a check). Don't get discouraged by the number of them - just ignore them. Folks who want to meet you in person are likely real buyers. Also, be patient. Your car will likely be snapped up, but if it's not, sit tight - the right buyer is out there.
Topic Author
Purpose311

Post by Purpose311 »

Finally sat down and have a conversation with my wife regarding finances and her thoughts on getting a new car. I explained to her this forum and the boglehead mentality. We then ventured off to discuss cars and what kind she likes. I said I really like the new CRV because the rear cargo area is low like a minivan. She said "don't bring up a minivan!" She then said ya, the CRV is awesome but it would be really nice if it had sliding doors :oops:
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

Give your wife the Outback and get yourself a 2015 Odyssey.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
Topic Author
Purpose311

Post by Purpose311 »

finite_difference wrote:Give your wife the Outback and get yourself a 2015 Odyssey.
She won't even set foot in that thing. The only concern I have with a minivan is fitting it in a garage. They look bigger than a pilot
deanbrew

Post by deanbrew »

Purpose311 wrote:
finite_difference wrote:Give your wife the Outback and get yourself a 2015 Odyssey.
She won't even set foot in that thing. The only concern I have with a minivan is fitting it in a garage. They look bigger than a pilot
The "only concern"? Your wife has already told you she absolutely doesn't want a minivan. Though that may be an emotional and unfounded opinion, please don't pressure her to get a vehicle she doesn't want. You know, win the battle but lose the war.

AS for size, the Odyssey is 10" longer than the Pilot, and 1/2" wider, but is 1.4" shorter. Other than length, they are very similar sizes.

https://www.cars.com/research/compare/? ... 70HOS032A0
Topic Author
Purpose311

Post by Purpose311 »

deanbrew wrote:
Purpose311 wrote:
The "only concern"? Your wife has already told you she absolutely doesn't want a minivan. Though that may be an emotional and unfounded opinion, please don't pressure her to get a vehicle she doesn't want. You know, win the battle but lose the war.

AS for size, the Odyssey is 10" longer than the Pilot, and 1/2" wider, but is 1.4" shorter. Other than length, they are very similar sizes.

https://www.cars.com/research/compare/? ... 70HOS032A0
way too big for her. I know, we'll end up with a CRV because she likes her accord. I think I want to wait until the 2018's come out to see if they get any first year kinks out. Does anyone here have a 2017 CRV? We would be torn between the EX L with Nav and Touring. My wife likes the idea of the motion tailgate, but I have a hard time justifying over $2,000 more for that and nicer headlights.
deanbrew

Post by deanbrew »

If you haven't looked there yet, you might want to check out the Edmunds review of the CRV: https://www.edmunds.com/honda/cr-v/2017/suv/review/

And the C&D review: http://www.caranddriver.com/honda/cr-v

It looks like the Touring level gets you some useful stuff, and some frivolous stuff: LED headlights, roof rails, dual chrome exhaust tips, automatic wipers, hands-free functionality for the power liftgate, blue ambient interior lighting, the navigation system and a subwoofer for the audio system. I guess it partly depends on whether you feel NAV is worthwhile, as it makes up a large part of the price increase. IMO, the automatic wipers, hands-free liftgate and NAV are useful, but not essential, and the LED headlights are probably better than those in the lower trims, but I couldn't find any reviews or tests that confirm that. Whether all of that is worth the extra money over the EX-L is a matter of opinion. FWIW, we bought the EX-L Odyssey but didn't spring for the Touring level on that due to price.
Topic Author
Purpose311

Post by Purpose311 »

deanbrew wrote:If you haven't looked there yet, you might want to check out the Edmunds review of the CRV: https://www.edmunds.com/honda/cr-v/2017/suv/review/

And the C&D review: http://www.caranddriver.com/honda/cr-v

It looks like the Touring level gets you some useful stuff, and some frivolous stuff: LED headlights, roof rails, dual chrome exhaust tips, automatic wipers, hands-free functionality for the power liftgate, blue ambient interior lighting, the navigation system and a subwoofer for the audio system. I guess it partly depends on whether you feel NAV is worthwhile, as it makes up a large part of the price increase. IMO, the automatic wipers, hands-free liftgate and NAV are useful, but not essential, and the LED headlights are probably better than those in the lower trims, but I couldn't find any reviews or tests that confirm that. Whether all of that is worth the extra money over the EX-L is a matter of opinion. FWIW, we bought the EX-L Odyssey but didn't spring for the Touring level on that due to price.
Thanks for your input. The touring includes the navigation, which is a $1,000 add on. I figured the additional cost for extra features would be $2k to use since we would add nav to the EX-L, but my wife really liked the idea of a hands free liftgate. Guess we'll have to look and figure out what she likes
Ninnie

Post by Ninnie »

I actually just test-drove the 2017 CR-V. On paper it's the best choice. In practice, I found the passenger seat to be horridly uncomfortable-enough to be a deal-breaker for me. By the way I also test-drove the 2016 CR-V and the seats, while still not great, were better. Sales rep confirmed they've been redesigned.

I prefer the RAV4 even if it doesn't wow me, and it comes in hybrid.
Topic Author
Purpose311

Post by Purpose311 »

Ninnie wrote:I actually just test-drove the 2017 CR-V. On paper it's the best choice. In practice, I found the passenger seat to be horridly uncomfortable-enough to be a deal-breaker for me. By the way I also test-drove the 2016 CR-V and the seats, while still not great, were better. Sales rep confirmed they've been redesigned.

I prefer the RAV4 even if it doesn't wow me, and it comes in hybrid.
The thing I don't like about the RAV is it looks soooo cheap inside. I always want the Toyota quality (I think it is much more reliable than Honda, which to me is average to above average quality, but to me Toyota/Lexus is always the benchmark) but the CRV is just so much nicer. I am anxiously waiting to see if a redesigned RAV4 is in the works to compete with the new CRV
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

Get a minivan. Then when your kids are in high school, make them drive the minivan as their car to school.

That will build lots of character for them to take into their futures. :D
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel | "Pick a bushel, save a peck!" - Grandpa
rob

Post by rob »

I would do a Mazda CX5 if your not wanting a minivan..... Far better than CRV IMO.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
Topic Author
Purpose311

Post by Purpose311 »

rob wrote:I would do a Mazda CX5 if your not wanting a minivan..... Far better than CRV IMO.
wayyyy too small. I LOVE the styling of the CX9 (too big), but wish they made the CX7 again with the CX9 styling.
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

OP
Be aware that the 2005 - Accord V-6 was notorious for problem transmission failures (go to the various Honda owner sites and see) at or before about 100k miles. [There was a design flaw that was supposedly corrected in the next generation. ]

IMO the Forrester was too harsh a drive, Outback was much better and had better seats, especially for the front passenger (we felt that the Forrester's was very poor)

Agree with above poster that, if you like them for style and amenities, the Escape is a good value {we got an earlier Escape, prior style w/ tow package and full size spare. It does drive nice, not harsh, and has regular transmission}

(and 8k for a 12 year old seems a little high for a model with known issues)
Last edited by Nestegg_User on Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Topic Author
Purpose311

Post by Purpose311 »

Nearing_Destination wrote:OP
Be aware that the 2005 - Accord V-6 was notorious for problem transmission failures (go to the various Honda owner sites and see) at or before about 100k miles. [There was a design flaw that was supposedly corrected in the next generation. ]

IMO the Forrester was too harsh a drive, Outback was much better and had better seats, especially for the front passenger (we felt that the Forrester's was very poor)

Agree with above poster that, if you like them for style and amenities, the Escape is a good value {we got an earlier Escape, prior style w/ tow package and full size spare. It does drive nice, not harsh, and has regular transmission}
That is what has me worried about the accord and why I want to get rid of it. I would rather sell it while we got good use out of it and it has some value. Is the Ford pretty small inside?
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

The Escape is considered a mid-size SUV, but we've had a regular sized snow blower in the back after putting the rear seats down-- so you know that there is plenty of room. Anything more and you're looking for a large vehicle-- not what we were looking for at the time.
TRC

Post by TRC »

You don't gain much by going to a compact SUV over an accord for interior space. As others have said, an odyssey is the ultimate family vehicle. You really don't appreciate it though until you have kids and until you try other vehicles. The "aha" moment came for us when replaced my wife's 4Runner after our first child came. We swore and shook on it that we'd never buy a minivan. After test driving the sequoia and being disappointed with how huge it was, we reuctantly test drove the sienna. When our 2 year old could climb in himself with the push button doors, it was game over. We just bought our 2nd odyssey last April. That being said, certain people care more about status symbols and the percieved stigma that comes with a van. We were once those people. Then we became parents and got over it pretty quickly.