Apple TV free content suggestions

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
BashDash

Apple TV free content suggestions

Post by BashDash »

New Cord cutter here. Does anyone have any completely free apple tv show suggestions? I have the hulu free trial but am looking for completely free content in addition to this. For example, last nite we tried the Crackle App's show Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee by Jerry Seinfeld. Thanks in advance for all the help on my other cord cutting thread too!
onourway

Re: Apple TV free content suggestions

Post by onourway »

PBS has a wide array of programming available to watch for free. I could meet a huge proportion of my tv-watching time to catching up on old episodes of Frontline alone. Not to mention American Experience, NOVA, etc. etc.
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

I agree with previous poster about PBS. Lots of great stuff there.

If you are an Amazon Prime subscriber, there is lots of content on Amazon video including some excellent HBO series and some Amazon programming like Sneaky Pete, Goliath, Red Oaks, Man in the High Castle, Mozart in the Jungle. Unfortunately, you cannot access Amazon video on the apple TV. I have an Apple TV and a Roku 3 (for amazon).

I used the Youtube app to watch some episodes of Miranda.
Wiki
onourway

Post by onourway »

If you have an iPad or iPhone you can use the Amazon app there and use Airplay to send it to the AppleTV. This works very well - you can even use the ATV remote.
BIGal

Post by BIGal »

Do you have a smart TV....if so, I believe you have many other options....Amazon Prime can be accessed without the need to buy another device. Do some research on smart TVs...it may be something to consider if you do not currently own one.
Topic Author
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have an ipad and apple tv. No smart TV. I'm going to explore PBS a little more. Have been using it for Thomas the Train lately :).
furwut

Post by furwut »

In complete agreement on PBS.

One cautionary note though is that the bulk of their content is now "windowed", I.e., only completely free to watch for about 2 weeks after the original air date. Thereafter you have to be a dues paying member to view it.
petulant

Post by petulant »

furwut wrote:In complete agreement on PBS.

One cautionary note though is that the bulk of their content is now "windowed", I.e., only completely free to watch for about 2 weeks after the original air date. Thereafter you have to be a dues paying member to view it.
Found this out the hard way with Sherlock. :(
Topic Author
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

Thanks for the info on pbs. Looking into a free way to watch current season of Top Chef. Looks like Hulu has old season and my wife really enjoys the current season . I guess we could subscribe to sling temporarily or buy the season? Any free way to watch it?
Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 »

onourway wrote:If you have an iPad or iPhone you can use the Amazon app there and use Airplay to send it to the AppleTV. This works very well - you can even use the ATV remote.
You can also use Airplay to stream Bogleheads to your Apple TV :happy
Topic Author
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

Of course stream bogleheads :). Think we may get sling. Seems reasonable and gives good access to many channels my wife likes. Seems like the only way to access Top Chef current season too.