The Wall Street Journal to close Google loophole entirely

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
misterno

Re: The Wall Street Journal to close Google loophole entirely

Post by misterno » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:36 pm

So what do I put in here? It says 1 currently

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:37 pm

misterno,
I would not be touching a registry editor with a 10-foot pole.

gkaplan wrote:I'm not interested enough to read The Wall Street Journal to jump through all the hoops to do so.

There is only one hoop and it took me 30 seconds to set up. But, to each their own.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

misterno

Post by misterno » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:45 pm

interestingly I do not have this problem at home where I am married to Chrome

But at work I can not divorce IE

I hate microsoft

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:48 pm

That JavaScript workaround doesn't seem to work on my Android smartphone.
Googling the issue, I may need to enable that functionality, so I'll play with that later...
Attempted new signature...

Alouette

Post by Alouette » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:24 pm

Wife of a journalist here. Do you steal newspapers from lawns? Do you pirate movies? Did you think Napster was a legitimate business model? For heaven's sake, I bet everyone of your parents subscribed to their local newspapers and that many of you delivered them in your neighborhoods. How do you think the WSJ and other print publications fund the deep background and months and even years-long research that goes into the full fact-finding and analysis that many of you use to evaluate the world, country and community you live in? Or do you rely solely on the direction of stock markets, or blogs, or the politicians who you agree with?

If you don't pay for a valuable resource that has a cost to it and charges for it, you are a cheater.

mrc

Post by mrc » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:56 pm

When I check links to publications from Facebook or Twitter posts, I resent a blocking banner saying subscribe to read further. I feel like I just wasted my time. I resent "turn off your ad blocker software" too. I generally just look for the content someplace else or move on. However, for media the household consumes every day (Washington Post, NYT, PBS & NPR stations), we subscribe (or have sustaining memberships). Don't mind paying for what we consume. I appreciate having a look at the referenced articles, and I also understand a subscription block (or free read counter) if I remain on that site to browse. Difficult to balance here, but if one can't read WSJ references without a subscription, that's fine. Bloggers & Twits will have to realize that the primary source they wish to reference isn't (freely) available to everyone. Using a wrapper link to peruse regularly in lieu of a paid subscription is wrong.
A great challenge of life: Knowing enough to think you're doing it right, but not enough to know you're doing it wrong. — Neil deGrasse Tyson

Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:07 pm

Alouette wrote:Do you steal newspapers from lawns?... If you don't pay for a valuable resource that has a cost to it and charges for it, you are a cheater.

Yet if I read papers at my local public library or coffee shop that's not considered theft or cheating. Nor is it if I share a copy of the local paper with my neighbors. Go figure...

The Internet has changed my reading style. Rather than subscribe to one or two newspapers and then reading them from cover to cover as I used to do a few decades ago, I now skim perhaps a dozen news sites on a daily basis and a few more on an irregular basis. I read a few articles at each site based on what interests me at the time. I rarely (probably never) read more than 1% of the total content of a single paper. Why should I pay for 100% of the content if I get no value from 99%+?

While the Internet has changed peoples' reading style, what hasn't changed is the payment model that publishers use to charge for their product. As much as I'd like to pay for quality journalism, there's no practical way for me to do it. I can't afford to subscribe to a dozen sites/papers, each at $100+ per year. Further I'd never get value from such an arrangement, even if I could afford to do so, because I read so little of each publication.

But there is a very simple solution to this issue, at least conceptually. It caters to the way people actually get their news in the Internet age. I'd be quite happy to pay for a single passport-like subscription that would entitle me to read some daily, weekly or monthly quota of articles from a pool of participating publications. Under this model subscribers pay a single amount every month or year into a clearinghouse service. Their usage of participating sites would be monitored so as to apportion that money to the sites they read the most. Sites that provide the public with the best news and opinions would prosper. Sites that don't would suffer a natural demise. I realize the industry hasn't been able to agree on such a model or implement it. But that's their business problem and their lost opportunity for survival.

The Internet, or more accurately the world-wide web, has now been around for some 25 years. Its emergence is one of the most newsworthy developments in that period. So why has the journalism industry yet to react to this "news" by adapting its payment model to cater to the needs of its readers?

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:32 pm

Alouette wrote:Wife of a journalist here. Do you steal newspapers from lawns? Do you pirate movies? Did you think Napster was a legitimate business model? For heaven's sake, I bet everyone of your parents subscribed to their local newspapers and that many of you delivered them in your neighborhoods. How do you think the WSJ and other print publications fund the deep background and months and even years-long research that goes into the full fact-finding and analysis that many of you use to evaluate the world, country and community you live in? Or do you rely solely on the direction of stock markets, or blogs, or the politicians who you agree with?

If you don't pay for a valuable resource that has a cost to it and charges for it, you are a cheater.

+1 It was already pointed out that this is a hack and is cheating the system. Stealing, dishonest, whatever you want to call it. Read the articles thru the sites as designated by WSJ and don't make a backdoor access method.

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:48 pm

Nate79 wrote:
Alouette wrote:Wife of a journalist here. Do you steal newspapers from lawns? Do you pirate movies? Did you think Napster was a legitimate business model? For heaven's sake, I bet everyone of your parents subscribed to their local newspapers and that many of you delivered them in your neighborhoods. How do you think the WSJ and other print publications fund the deep background and months and even years-long research that goes into the full fact-finding and analysis that many of you use to evaluate the world, country and community you live in? Or do you rely solely on the direction of stock markets, or blogs, or the politicians who you agree with?

+1 It was already pointed out that this is a hack and is cheating the system. Stealing, dishonest, whatever you want to call it. Read the articles thru the sites as designated by WSJ and don't make a backdoor access method.

Pardon me, but if I'm on Facebook and follow the WSJ Opinion page (which I am and do), I can read any article I like just by clicking. Is that stealing and dishonest? The fact is that the WSJ obviously intentionally allows this. Using a javascript plugin is no different; I could just facebook search the article title and click through facebook.

Your objections sound to me like the IRS' objections to people correctly using tax code to minimize tax obligations.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:16 pm

triceratop wrote:Your objections sound to me like the IRS' objections to people correctly using tax code to minimize tax obligations.

:beer I had exactly the same thought about that case.

For what it's worth, I have a student subscription to the WSJ purchased while I was taking Mandarin at the local community college. (My employer paid for the two semesters of Chinese. I got a cheap WSJ subscription as a bonus.)

Alouette

Post by Alouette » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:24 pm

Well it is a bit different if you are a Facebook follower versus an hacker. You've added your name to a list of readers for everyone to see. It's a form of advertisement, a marketing strategy that may or may not persist.

As for libraries, yay! Sadly, even in my rich and well-funded county library days and hours have been cut and budgets no longer keep up with new releases. But I'm happy that most periodicals are free and accessible for all.

I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for. If you curate the kind of information you seek, you'll use it more for thinking critically about its content. I would reject any collaboration of news sources providing a cafeteria of articles for clicks. A little NYT with a side of Brietbart and Mother Jones will inform no one ever. I do believe reading opposing views is necessary, so I would recommend a narrow choice of print and broadcast news. Including that in your budget shouldn't be asking too much.

PS - no connection to the WSJ at all!

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:52 pm

It seems strange to tie a decent publication like WSJ, which attracts educated readers, with a lowest-common-denominator platform like Facebook. Many of us that appreciate high-quality news publications dislike social media. In that sense, Google was a better match. It implies someone was intellecutally curious enough about an article to look it up in a search engine.

Of course, this is my anti-Facebook bias showing. It would be interesting, however, to see if there's a correlation between Facebook users and the news publications they read. Maybe I'd be surprised. Maybe they all read Foreign Affairs, The Economist and the Financial Times. :) Although I have Facebook blocked in my browser, I've been forced to allow Twitter because all the policy-makers and Washington elite post on it. :? :? :? A new era indeed.

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:05 pm

I'm surprised that this thread hasn't been locked yet. Arguing about the morality of using a workaround to view articles behind paywalls seems outside the bounds of forum guidelines. But I usually don't like seeing threads getting locked, so I'm not going to flag it.

Kevin
||.......|| Suggested format for Asking Portfolio Questions (edit original post)

mrc

Post by mrc » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:14 am

I wish there were a way to access WSJ on occasion and compensate the publication, but for something less than $278/year. Current intro rates are better, but short lived. There must be a way to offer something between $0 and $278/year.
A great challenge of life: Knowing enough to think you're doing it right, but not enough to know you're doing it wrong. — Neil deGrasse Tyson

Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:22 am

mrc wrote:There must be a way to offer something between $0 and $278/year.

I suggested a business model that would accomplish that upthread. But it's up to the industry to adopt it.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:53 am

triceratop wrote:The google trick may not be working, but facebook referral still gets the job done.

edit: to clarify, this can be done automatically with a bookmarklet, which I call WSJ in my bookmarks bar, consisting of the Javascript code:

Code: Select all

javascript:window.location="https://m.facebook.com/l.php?u="+encodeURIComponent(window.location.href);

Obviously, this is exactly what the WSJ wants readers to do since they allow it.

Does anyone know of a way to use this on mobile? Specifically Chrome for Android.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:54 am

bobandsherry wrote:
FrugalInvestor wrote:This still works (copy and paste the following into your address bar)....

http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/ ... 170211.pdf

The above gets you to section A page 001 of the 02/11/17 edition of the WSJ.

I really like this approach. To make page viewing easier I created a Google Sheet that has dynamic links. You can select the date of the issue you want to view and then select the appropriate section / page from the table. I put this together quickly, basic functionality as it does not verify if pages exist. If section / page doesn't exist you'll get a WSJ error.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fu5tkGUb0eWVrbq1cvLhibO-4hvi_Bn6om3f7wUdvi4/edit?usp=sharing

Nice. But I cannot change the date by double clicking? and I cannot add it to my Drive

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri May 12, 2017 7:34 pm

F150HD wrote:Nice. But I cannot change the date by double clicking? and I cannot add it to my Drive

You need to render the spreadsheet HTML view.

From the link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fu5tkGUb0eWVrbq1cvLhibO-4hvi_Bn6om3f7wUdvi4/edit?usp=sharing

Replace the "/edit?usp=sharing" part with "/htmlview"

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fu5tkGUb0eWVrbq1cvLhibO-4hvi_Bn6om3f7wUdvi4/htmlview

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 4/htmlview

I don't see any formulas in the cell containing the date. Perhaps it was converted to text when the file was uploaded?
==========================

Did you know that those google links are nothing but javascript run in your browser? You can turn off the javascript which does 2 things:

(1) The URL now goes directly to the search result, so you can copy-n-paste the link directly from your browser.
(2) Google won't track you.

Follow the instructions from my favorite security podcast Security Now! #608 show notes, page 5. You can do this with the uBlock Origin ad blocker.

1. uBlock Origin --> "Gear" icon to open the dashboard.
2. Check the "I am an advanced user" block.
3. Go to the google.com search page, https://www.google.com/
4. Open the main uBlock Origin icon, which now shows the 2 columns as seen in the show notes.
5. Click on the right column for "1st-party scripts" and "3rd-party scripts".
6. Refresh the page, google links are gone.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Fri May 12, 2017 9:16 pm

Agree these sorts of workarounds are immoral. WSJ is offering you access on their terms. Just because you can technically bypass their reasonable efforts to keep you out doesn't make it okay. This is clear-cut theft. No gray area at all.

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Sat May 13, 2017 6:16 pm

KyleAAA wrote:Agree these sorts of workarounds are immoral. WSJ is offering you access on their terms. Just because you can technically bypass their reasonable efforts to keep you out doesn't make it okay. This is clear-cut theft. No gray area at all.

The terms include that one can legally access via Facebook referral. I accept the WSJ's terms.

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Sat May 13, 2017 10:54 pm

I see this all the time, not just here. People getting all indignant upon any suggestion that an individual might possibly be taking advantage of a corporation and yet, corporations take advantage of individuals all day long and the usual response is: "ah, those crazy companies, what can you do? that's what they do!"
One doesn't justify the other and yet, the implication is that corporations get a pass.
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Sat May 13, 2017 11:05 pm

As for libraries, yay! Sadly, even in my rich and well-funded county library days and hours have been cut and budgets no longer keep up with new releases. But I'm happy that most periodicals are free and accessible for all.

I live in the county with the highest average household income in the U.S. and ironically, public library resources are scarce. Zineo services are offered free of charge so people can access mostly pop culture driven, ad-filled magazines....I have yet to find any academic journals, periodicals, etc. and no newspapers....not that many years ago, I used drop by the libraries of a nearby county and easily retrieve newspapers from all the big cities of the world, the WSJ, Barrons, IBD and all manner of journals.
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

bobandsherry

Post by bobandsherry » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:23 am

F150HD wrote:
bobandsherry wrote:
FrugalInvestor wrote:This still works (copy and paste the following into your address bar)....

I really like this approach. To make page viewing easier I created a Google Sheet that has dynamic links. You can select the date of the issue you want to view and then select the appropriate section / page from the table. I put this together quickly, basic functionality as it does not verify if pages exist. If section / page doesn't exist you'll get a WSJ error.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Nice. But I cannot change the date by double clicking? and I cannot add it to my Drive
Sorry, I didn't notice this reply to my post. Anyways, to use it you must save to your Google Drive as you do not have edit rights to file on my Drive. To do that you must be signed into your Google account. Then in the Google Sheet select "File" and "Make a Copy" and then follow the prompts to save to your Drive.

bobandsherry

Post by bobandsherry » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:29 am

LadyGeek wrote:
F150HD wrote:Nice. But I cannot change the date by double clicking? and I cannot add it to my Drive
You need to render the spreadsheet HTML view.

From the link:

Replace the "/edit?usp=sharing" part with "/htmlview"

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fu5tkGUb0eWVrbq1cvLhibO-4hvi_Bn6om3f7wUdvi4/htmlview
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 4/htmlview

I don't see any formulas in the cell containing the date. Perhaps it was converted to text when the file was uploaded?
==========================
Do not render as an HTML view, that will not properly render the file. You will need to make a copy and save to your own local Drive, you'll then have full "edit" rights to the file so that you can make changes, including the date. BTW, the "date" selector is not a formula nor is it an issue with converting to text as this is not text at all but an active Google Sheet. The selector uses a built in Google Sheets function under data validation, pretty nice feature.

bobandsherry

Post by bobandsherry » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:35 am

F150HD wrote:
bobandsherry wrote:

I wanted to share a newer version (v2) of the spreadsheet. This version will verify the URL for each page, so the page selection display will update dynamically based on the publication date and availability of the page online. I've added a note to the file but just to be clear, you need to create your own copy on your Drive before you can use this as the file is shared for viewing only. Once you create your own local copy you'll have full access so that GSheet functionality works.

jake21new

Post by jake21new » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:02 pm

bobandsherry wrote:
F150HD wrote:
bobandsherry wrote:

I wanted to share a newer version (v2) of the spreadsheet. This version will verify the URL for each page, so the page selection display will update dynamically based on the publication date and availability of the page online. I've added a note to the file but just to be clear, you need to create your own copy on your Drive before you can use this as the file is shared for viewing only. Once you create your own local copy you'll have full access so that GSheet functionality works.

It seems on 2017 editions I can't find the "C" section ("Money & Investing") anymore by putting C001 in the url

Also, on todays' edition (June 5, 2017) there's an article on A001 page that says "continues on page A12". But when I change the url to A012 it says that page doesn't exist. I saw similar problems this week trying to see pages A11+

Can you guys still access pages A11+ and section C ?

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:36 pm

The Journal reformatted a year or more ago. At least in the print edition M-Th only has A & B most days. Friday has 3 sections; Sa/Su has 4 section. Plus the magazine this past Saturday.

Today there was an R section with the monthly Investing in Funds and ETFs in addition to the A & B.

Today my online version has A12a as New York; A13 as Life & Art; A16 as Sports; A17 as Opinion.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:52 pm

FYI:

Facebook and WSJ owners are working on a 'subscription' deal
https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/22/fac ... tion-deal/

4th and Inches

Post by 4th and Inches » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:58 am

It appears that the Facebook loophole has been closed. Is this the case for anybody else?

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:37 am

4th and Inches wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:58 am
It appears that the Facebook loophole has been closed. Is this the case for anybody else?
Just tried it, and it still works for me.

Kevin
||.......|| Suggested format for Asking Portfolio Questions (edit original post)

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:09 pm

Kevin M wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:37 am
4th and Inches wrote:
Just tried it, and it still works for me.

Kevin
Still works for me as well.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:36 pm

I still enjoy my copy of The Wall Street Journal in paper form!
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

sharpjm

Post by sharpjm » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:50 pm

4th and Inches wrote:
Yes, facebook loop is closed for me from multiple IPs :(

I noticed it 2-3 days ago.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:00 am

Alouette wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:24 pm
Well it is a bit different if you are a Facebook follower versus an hacker. You've added your name to a list of readers for everyone to see. It's a form of advertisement, a marketing strategy that may or may not persist.
I'm not sure this accesses all the articles, but some recent articles that I can't get from https://www.wsj.com are easily found on their Facebook page by searching the Posts (go to their Facebook home page and click Posts or click this: https://www.facebook.com/pg/wsj/posts/ , you should see the search box on the right column below the blue send message button) And this does not require any registration of any kind. It's totally open to the public. If the script is just a shortcut to this content, I view it as an open invitation that they can rescind at anytime they want. If they close off casual access, we casual users will suffer a little and find similar content elsewhere. I think they will suffer more in reduced viewership and ad presentations and clicks. Content is valuable but so are eyeballs, and the eyeballs here are higher net worth than the average, so even more valuable.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:40 pm

mr_breen wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:03 pm
It is just that sometimes WSJ articles are particularly useful for learning about business and making financial decisions.
The great thing about the "Boglehead approach" to investing is that it is incredibly simple and logical.
If any personal financial decision is complicated, it is probably because there is no real "right answer".
I question the usefulness of the WSJ and other financial media publications when it comes to making correct personal decisions. When I used to trade stocks I relied on the WSJ and other similar sources for making decisions, but overall I didn't beat the market. I sometimes wound up investing in high-flying "successes" that often crashed and burned, or potentials that never materialized. The WSJ can be much more confounding than helpful.
The media publications depend on maximizing circulation and advertising revenues, and exist to make a profit, not to make you a profit.
This is especially challenging in the digital age, which is why they have had to make the decision to close the loophole.

Minot

Post by Minot » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:31 pm

inbox788 wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:00 am
I'm not sure this accesses all the articles, but some recent articles that I can't get from https://www.wsj.com are easily found on their Facebook page by searching the Posts (go to their Facebook home page and click Posts or click this: https://www.facebook.com/pg/wsj/posts/ , you should see the search box on the right column below the blue send message button) And this does not require any registration of any kind. It's totally open to the public. If the script is just a shortcut to this content, I view it as an open invitation that they can rescind at anytime they want. If they close off casual access, we casual users will suffer a little and find similar content elsewhere. I think they will suffer more in reduced viewership and ad presentations and clicks. Content is valuable but so are eyeballs, and the eyeballs here are higher net worth than the average, so even more valuable.
When I tried this just now, it got me to the article I wanted, but within 2-3 seconds, all but the headline and lead-in grayed out, so I could only read it with a fair amount of effort.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:56 pm

I find having a bookmark of the script triceratop mentioned below easiest,
but I'll point out that you can also read articles by archiving them through http://archive.is/
It also makes it easier to link to the archived version if you want to share it with someone else / post it.

For example, the pay-walled article:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-gdp-gr ... 1504096685
is easier to share (and without the paywall) after archiving at:
http://archive.is/7vCVF
triceratop wrote:The google trick may not be working, but facebook referral still gets the job done.

edit: to clarify, this can be done automatically with a bookmarklet, which I call WSJ in my bookmarks bar, consisting of the Javascript code:

javascript:window.location="https://m.facebook.com/l.php?u="+encodeURIComponent(window.location.href);
Obviously, this is exactly what the WSJ wants readers to do since they allow it.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:37 pm

I just tried the following and it worked for two otherwise paywalled. WSJ articles.

In wsj copy title of article
Go to Facebook
Paste title in Facebook Search
Follow link to article which isn't paywalled.

Basically what I used to do with Google.

Swansea

Post by Swansea » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:17 pm

azurekep wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:59 pm
Beth* wrote:Journalists need to be paid. I don't generally read the Wall Street journal so I probably won't subscribe, but I am very happy to pay to access the New York Times, the Washington Post, and several other publications I read online. I don't see why anyone would expect to have access to high quality content for free.
The Washington Post is free online (unless i'm missing something.)

I've found plenty of free news and financial sites online, including the Washington Post, where articles can be read in their entirety. After that, I personally am content just looking at the front page of the New York Times and WSJ without reading the articles. The headlines are pretty much the same as for the free news sites, where the articles can be fully read. Granted, their are different slants and emphases for the various news sites, but it's easy enough to mix and match the free and limited-access sites to cover all bases.
Hmm, I am paying for my online WP access. I think about $10 monthly or so. No hard copy is included.

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:19 pm

For those who the previous workaround no longer works, I can confirm that this chromium extension also works for me still: https://github.com/jakerullman/xray

chinto

Post by chinto » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:31 pm

IMNTBMFHO, we live in a world of information overload. Oft we set by habits, of reading this and that each day, following on link after another, drowning a sea of information, often conflicting...one of the best things that happened to me last year was when my e-mail provider went out of business over night with no prior notification. Sadly I lost valued contacts with people I met in forums and only knew by e-mail addy, I also lost my daily subscription links to news sources acquired over 15 or so years. That is in part how I found this forum, just looking for something to read. That being said, in reflection, I can only say the quality of my life has gone up since I lost access to so many news sources and other information sources. Now I note a lot of news sources block you when you run an ad blocker or whatever, it troubles me not. Part of Bogle's philosophy is to invest your money ad put in in an virtual envelope and only then peek at it 20 or 30 years later. The WSJ and other publications really are intended for those who want to peek in the envelope. Can't say I see an advantage in doing so.

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:21 pm

Swansea wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:17 pm
azurekep wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:59 pm
Beth* wrote:Journalists need to be paid. I don't generally read the Wall Street journal so I probably won't subscribe, but I am very happy to pay to access the New York Times, the Washington Post, and several other publications I read online. I don't see why anyone would expect to have access to high quality content for free.
The Washington Post is free online (unless i'm missing something.)

I've found plenty of free news and financial sites online, including the Washington Post, where articles can be read in their entirety. After that, I personally am content just looking at the front page of the New York Times and WSJ without reading the articles. The headlines are pretty much the same as for the free news sites, where the articles can be fully read. Granted, their are different slants and emphases for the various news sites, but it's easy enough to mix and match the free and limited-access sites to cover all bases.
Hmm, I am paying for my online WP access. I think about $10 monthly or so. No hard copy is included.
Unless there is a limit on the number of articles one can read, or the sections one can access, it's free online. (For me anyway.)

I just read the front section and usually no more than eight or nine articles.

If I ventured beyond the front page or tried reading 15 articles, maybe a paywall would appear.

boglerdude

Post by boglerdude » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:31 pm

To save y'all 10 minutes of Googling, IMNTBMFHO = In My Never To Be Mistaken For Humble Opinion

(if there was faster way to find that, let me know)

pointyhairedboss

Post by pointyhairedboss » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:02 pm

I am not happy with Google News for having links to articles that I can't access unless I subscribe. At least make the pay links distinguishable from the free links so I know which links to avoid.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:05 pm

boglerdude wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:31 pm
To save y'all 10 minutes of Googling, IMNTBMFHO = In My Never To Be Mistaken For Humble Opinion

(if there was faster way to find that, let me know)

How much longer would it take to type "In my humble opinion"?
Gordon

Uncle Pennybags

Post by Uncle Pennybags » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:16 pm

triceratop wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:14 pm
mr_breen,
If you make that link a "bookmark" in your browser, then when you go to a WSJ that is restricted you can click on the bookmark which will reload the page as if you came from Facebook.

It's really no different in kind than going to the WSJ's facebook page or searching for it on facebook, and then clicking on the link. It's just easier.
Good one. Can you tell it's raining and I'm board?

AD3

Post by AD3 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:26 am

If anyone wants a copy of the Wall Street Journal as a PDF, you can get it by downloading it from Github. But it only works with Mac computer.

https://github.com/tdonovan58/wsj

This repo contains a single Bash script which will download an entire day's edition of the Wall Street Journal.

Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:08 am

Call your local library. Mine offers online access to digital editions of the Wall Street Journal. Just like reading Kindle or other books borrowed online from the library via Overdrive or anther app, you use your library's newspaper and periodicals app to read the digital edition of the WSJ you want.

This is a free and legal way to access the WSJ. If your library does not offer access , you can often use your card to get access at other libraries across the country which do.

If you are a student or teacher at a university , you may also have digital access. If you're the partner or spouse of a teacher, you may also be able to enjoy the benefits.

If someone else has suggested this in the threads I've missed it. I didn't read all the posts as I'm tired and about to go back to sleep. I had a tiny bout of insomnia but it's fading fast.

Uncle Pennybags

Post by Uncle Pennybags » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:09 am

AD3 wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:26 am
If anyone wants a copy of the Wall Street Journal as a PDF, you can get it by downloading it from Github. But it only works with Mac computer.

https://github.com/tdonovan58/wsj

This repo contains a single Bash script which will download an entire day's edition of the Wall Street Journal.
Write your own code, no Apple needed. http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/ ... 170902.pdf
Who said this forum is boring? IMHO this it is totally legal to type in any URL one wants. It would be difficult to find an article if one doesn't know the page and date though.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:20 am

Uncle Pennybags wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:09 am
IMHO this it is totally legal to type in any URL one wants.
As long as the terms of service are not violated... :wink:

(This is a general comment, not specifically directed at this post.)
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.