Hardwood floors vs Wood Look Tile?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
auggiedoggies

Hardwood floors vs Wood Look Tile?

Post by auggiedoggies » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:36 pm

Looking at replacing about 1500 sq ft of tile in our home. Currently in our kitchen, entryway, part of the family room, most of the living/dining room.

We are debating between wood look tile and real hardwood floors. We do have a small child, and expect to have another in the next couple of years. So, lots of little rugrats running around, in addition to a 60 pound dog.

Anyone have any experience with either? It looks like wood look tile would be cheaper and possibly more durable.

PowDay

Re: Hardwood floors vs Wood Look Tile?

Post by PowDay » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:40 pm

Purely option, but I'm convinced that wood look tile is going to look cheesy and dated 20 years from now, while true hardwood has been classy for 100+ years.

Your location, and type of home will probably be the deciding factor.

sk2101

Post by sk2101 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:43 pm

I don't think that wood-grain tiles look good enough for living room/dining room. I would go with hardwood for those areas. However I would not put hardwood on the kitchen as it is not water resistant - I would keep tile in the kitchen.

As an alternative, there is now a new PVC "wood" flooring that you lay down like laminate that looks like wood and it's water resistant. The samples that I have seen looked good but I haven't used them myself. It's more expensive then laminate but supposedly it will last forever. Something to consider.

Edit to add: if you are concerned about durability then pick laminate over hardwood floor: it is harder to scratch, it is easier to clean and repair.
Last edited by sk2101 on Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:47 pm

I've seen the wood look tiles on the first floor of my friend's house - it looks nice and the durability of tile is great. That being said, we put down 1/2 inch thick laminate flooring which visitors always mistake for hardwood due to its quality. With three young kids though, we should have gone with tile - they really beat the floor up.

jf89

Post by jf89 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:50 pm

I agree with PowDay above. I'm too concerned that the wood-look tiles will be a weird trend that we look back on in 20 years and ask ourselves what in God's name we were thinking (like old appliance colors from the 60s and 70s, shag carpet, conversation pits, basically anything "modern" from the 80's, and applying vast amounts of wallpaper).

Having said that, a friend recently put some of the wood-look tiles in their entryway and dining room, and it looks way better than I expected. Maybe this is a trend that will have its place in future decorating.
"Save as much as you can, diversify diversify diversify, and you can't go wrong with tech stocks" | -First investing advice I recall from my parents in the 90's (two outta three ain't bad)

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:56 pm

jf89 wrote:I agree with PowDay above. I'm too concerned that the wood-look tiles will be a weird trend that we look back on in 20 years and ask ourselves what in God's name we were thinking (like old appliance colors from the 60s and 70s, shag carpet, conversation pits, basically anything "modern" from the 80's, and applying vast amounts of wallpaper).

Having said that, a friend recently put some of the wood-look tiles in their entryway and dining room, and it looks way better than I expected. Maybe this is a trend that will have its place in future decorating.
If we are talking about 20 years in the future, I'm not sure how good any flooring will look. My parents' house has 3/4" hardwood flooring on the first floor and after 15 years it just looks awful. I'm not sure how much it's going to cost to get it refinished. So if what you get suits your purpose for 15-20 years, then just come back here again with the same question :D

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:03 pm

PowDay wrote:Purely option, but I'm convinced that wood look tile is going to look cheesy and dated 20 years from now, while true hardwood has been classy for 100+ years.

I agree.

I love tile that looks like tile and wood that looks like wood.

auggiedoggies

Post by auggiedoggies » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:09 pm

Thanks for all the responses!

As far as location and type of home, it's a home from the late 90's that we are in the process of updating. We are located in the great state of Minnesota in a suburban neighborhood.

I have seen a few friends that have wood look tile, and it looks quite nice. Honestly, I'm not all that concerned with the fashions in 20ish years. It's impossible to predict what will be fashionable, and if we get 20 years of "current" fashion out of it, I will be quite pleased.

Durability is a concern of mine with hardwood. The house I grew up in had real hardwood, as did my in-laws. Just seems like it was a pain to keep up, and there's always the worry of the floor being beat to crap with young kids and dogs. Is this not a concern for anyone? FWIW my wife and I are both in our late 20's, plan to be in this house for at least 20 years.

redrocker

Post by redrocker » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:11 pm

I put the wood tile down on one side of a rental 2 years ago. I was trying to go for durability as well as not have plain ceramic tile.

In retrospect, I wish I hadn't. The tiles are too small to look much like anything besides tile plus now I have to maintain grout. Or rip it up eventually to replace it with something else. And that demo won't be fun.

When it came time to do the floor on the other side of the rental, I went with some vinyl flooring with wood finish from Floor & Decor which looks much closer to wood, installs easily, is water proof, no underlayment required, and will be easy to replace or upgrade if I ever decide to remove it. Really wish I'd used it on the first side. Hindsight.

Here's a pic of each.
tile: Image
vinyl "wood" : Image

And this is the product number if anyone is interested. No, I don't get a commission, just wish I'd found this stuff a year earlier than I did. It's had a year of use in the rental and it seems to be holding up just fine. No noticeable scuffs/scratches, etc.
Last edited by redrocker on Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:20 pm

When we built our house we put random width maple hardwood in our living room/dining room and front hall. Then we raised a Siberian Husky for thirteen years. After the husky died we spent about $1K to have the whole area sanded and re-urethaned. It looked like new again. Then we raised a second husky for another thirteen years. After the second husky died we spent about $1.5K to have the whole area refinished again. It looked great, but now our adult children are visiting with their dogs. When we ultimately sell our house I think we will offer to reduce our price by $2K so the new owners can refinish the hardwood for a third time.

Despite the refinishing cost, everyone likes our hardwood maple floors!

auggiedoggies

Post by auggiedoggies » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:24 pm

redrocker wrote:I put the wood tile down on one side of a rental 2 years ago. I was trying to go for durability as well as not have plain ceramic tile.

In retrospect, I wish I hadn't. The tiles are too small to look much like anything besides tile plus now I have to maintain grout. Or rip it up eventually to replace it with something else. And that demo won't be fun.

When it came time to do the floor on the other side of the rental, I went with some vinyl flooring with wood finish from Floor & Decor which looks much closer to wood, installs easily, is water proof, no underlayment required, and will be easy to replace or upgrade if I ever decide to remove it. Really wish I'd used it on the first side. Hindsight.
Interesting, I hadn't thought of vinyl flooring. Will definitely look into that. How does it feel underfoot? Can you tell it's vinyl?

wilked

Post by wilked » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:32 pm

Have you considered cork?

btenny

Post by btenny » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:34 pm

I just put in regular porcelain ceramic tile in my house in Arizona. It is bullet proof and looks great. It is cool to the touch which is important in Arizona. We went with big 20 inch tiles and ultra small grout lines. It looks fantastic. It was low cost. It is simple to maintain and clean.

We did not do wood look tiles as the tiles are oblong shaped and hard to install per the tile guys. We just did like the wood tile look when we looked at big installed sample areas.

We talked about regular real wood or engineered wood floors and decided no. They were just too much trouble. We had real wood back when and it got water spotted and stained and was just difficult to take care of. It was always dusty and showed dirt too easily. It got scratched by our dog. We talked about light oak colored laminated wood but the seams on those warp over time and cannot be repaired. So we just said no.

Good Luck.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:35 pm

auggiedoggies wrote:
redrocker wrote:I put the wood tile down on one side of a rental 2 years ago. I was trying to go for durability as well as not have plain ceramic tile.

Interesting, I hadn't thought of vinyl flooring. Will definitely look into that. How does it feel underfoot? Can you tell it's vinyl?
Vinyl is becoming popular now for the reasons redrocker mentioned. We are about to install it in our bathrooms. Cheaper, much easier to install than tile and not cold. If you're interested I'd recco' taking a look at Tarkett's line.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

redrocker

Post by redrocker » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:39 pm

auggiedoggies wrote:Interesting, I hadn't thought of vinyl flooring. Will definitely look into that. How does it feel underfoot? Can you tell it's vinyl?
With shoes on, probably wouldn't even question what it is. Barefoot, I'd have to ask "what is this?"

I'm sure there's a lot of variety in the faux wood ceramic tile market but I can't stand the feel of that tile barefoot. It's almost like a terra cotta feeling. Nope!

bklyn96

Post by bklyn96 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:48 pm

No firm opinion one way or the other here. However, our coop has hardwood floors so we have some experience and have found that in spots the floor's noisy.

The original subfloor is concrete—we live in a school building that was renovated into apartments. While 80% of the flooring is ok about 20% was never properly fastened to the subfloor. As a result, extremes in humidity result in noisy spots when you walk directly over them; you hear creaks, etc.

fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:51 pm

Interesting thread......today I started installing vinyl floor planking in our kitchen and laundry area (~600 sq. ft.). I took a 15 minute lunch break and spotted this thread.

Initially, our plan was to put porcelain tile in the main kitchen area and laundry room and hardwood flooring in the dining area. What changed our mind?......the new vinyl floor planking......it is 100% waterproof, easy to install and looks fabulous! Also, it's less expensive than hardwood....but that was not a deciding factor. We purchased our's from Mendard's. We chose the sculpted looks because our home is very rustic.

https://www.menards.com/main/flooring-r ... c-6617.htm

Five years ago we installed 3/4" solid hickory hard wood flooring in the living room area (650 sq.ft.). Very happy with it....cleans easy, and looks great. We looked at the engineering hard wood but dismissed quickly due to, what we felt was inferior quality vs. solid hardwood. You can not go wrong with hardwood.

Now...back to work. Gotta look like I've accomplished something before wife gets home from work :sharebeer

leonard

Post by leonard » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:11 pm

PowDay wrote:true hardwood has been classy for 100+ years.
Until the owner of said floor has a large circular sander in their hands for the refinish - or they've hired a contractor that is holding one.

OP - I have never regretted going with the low maintenance solution. I'd choose tile or some other low maintenance alternative.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:21 pm

I like hardwood everywhere except kitchens and bathrooms, where I like tile. I don't find hardwood to be difficult or cumbersome to maintain (in fact, I've never done anything to mine, other than sweep/vacuum it), but then I don't have a 60-lb dog. Dogs are rough on hardwood over time. At the end of the day, this is completely a matter of personal preference. Not sure any individual Boglehead's opinion should affect your decision at all. I agree with you that just about any decor choice is going to look dated in 20 years; so that wouldn't be a concern of mine.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:24 pm

auggiedoggies wrote:Interesting, I hadn't thought of vinyl flooring. Will definitely look into that. How does it feel underfoot? Can you tell it's vinyl?
I've had wood-patterned sheet vinyl in the bedroom wing of my house for a decade now. It was a 25yr or 30yr Armstrong product with a stain-resistant coating. It also has imprinted wood textures and extra wood patterns, so it has fooled some people until they look more closely and feel it. And yes, it does feel different than real wood underfoot, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's nowhere near as cold as the tile in my entry hall, and there's no occasional splinters like I get from the engineered hardwood in my living room. The engineered hardwood and tile are actually less comfortable underfoot than the vinyl because of the minor imperfections in the surface of the wood and tile.

Durability-wise, the wood-patterned vinyl has held up very well. It still looks as good as it did when it was installed. Pet messes just wipe right up. And it doesn't stain, not even when I broke a thermometer filled with red-dyed alcohol on it. Maintenance consists of sweeping or using a stick vac regularly, with the occasional steam mop to cut down on germs. The engineered hardwood and the tile on the other hand have some pet damage and stains from pets. I also have to be careful using the steam mop on the engineered hardwood, as it can easily be over-saturated with moisture and swell along the edges.

So if you want durability and comfort, while also having a wood-look, I'd echo the recommendations to look at wood-patterned sheet or plank vinyl. Look for a product with a long rated life and some sort of stain-resistant coating, not the cheap vinyl. It may not have the highest resale value, but it's great for durability and ease of cleanup when there are tiny humans or pets afoot.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:51 pm

TxAg wrote:
PowDay wrote:Purely option, but I'm convinced that wood look tile is going to look cheesy and dated 20 years from now, while true hardwood has been classy for 100+ years.

I agree.

100% agree. Using virtually any material to look like another material is gonna look cheesy. Also try to stay far away from whatever is the latest trendy look when investing big $ in any home remodel.

corysold

Post by corysold » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:18 pm

jabberwockOG wrote:
TxAg wrote:

I agree.

100% agree. Using virtually any material to look like another material is gonna look cheesy. Also try to stay far away from whatever is the latest trendy look when investing big $ in any home remodel.
Maybe sometimes, but sometimes the new thing can fill a niche. Hardwood looks very nice. But it isn't great in potentially wet areas. But if you like how hardwood looks, but can get a vinyl look alike for a bathroom, why not? I don't think it is cheesy to utilize new technology to acheive the look you want in your home.

Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:24 pm

We have friends who have installed the wood look tile in their family room and kitchen. It looks great and appears to be holding up well. The one thing that I haven't heard anyone mention yet, is the noise issue. You are installing tile in an area that hasn't had tile. You will notice the difference, especially in an area like a family room that might have a TV, kids playing et cetra and it's going to be LOUD with all that noise bouncing around. In a kitchen you might be o.k. with it but I think in an area like a family room, living room or dining room where you expect to have conversations, you will regret it. In those areas I'd suggest looking into some of the engineered hardwoods.

We personally have had all kinds of flooring between our home and four rentals. They all have their pluses and minuses.

David Sq

Post by David Sq » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:33 pm

Remember, you aren't actually walking on wood floors. You are walking on some fossil fuel related coating, covering wood floors. In our case, the refinisher used minwax polurethane. There's nothing natural or wholesome about it.

sport

Post by sport » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:45 pm

This is the product we put in our kitchen 10 years ago: http://www.tarkettna.com/Products/Luxur ... Permastone
After 10 years, it still looks like new and requires only a damp mop for cleaning. We used tiles that look like ceramic. I would expect the wood look products to be equally durable.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:17 pm

auggiedoggies wrote:Looking at replacing about 1500 sq ft of tile in our home. Currently in our kitchen, entryway, part of the family room, most of the living/dining room.

We are debating between wood look tile and real hardwood floors. We do have a small child, and expect to have another in the next couple of years. So, lots of little rugrats running around, in addition to a 60 pound dog.

Anyone have any experience with either? It looks like wood look tile would be cheaper and possibly more durable.
Why are you replacing your current tile? That might affect your choice of a new floor covering.

If your current floor covering is okay and you have small children and a dog, why not just keep it until the children are older? Then you don't have to worry about new floors being damaged.

Girino

Post by Girino » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:33 pm

We had hardwood installed in our last house (red oak, everywhere upstair and downstairs except for the utility room and sunroom) and never regretted it. No kids but always had two big dogs, for 25 years. The floors took a beating in the entryways but the rest of the floors looked great. We refinished the entryways twice in that time and they looked goods as new. Refinished everything before we sold it two years ago. The wood floors were a big selling point. We put ceramic tile in the utility room and sunroom. Also big selling points.

That said, I've seen LVT that looks really good and we considered it instead of tile. One thing that no one has mentioned yet is replacement cost. With a wood floor, unless there is a disaster, you can refinish instead of replace. With LVT, I'm guessing that somewhere down the road someone is going to have to rip all that out and reinstall.

littlebird

Post by littlebird » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:55 pm

auggiedoggies wrote:

Wow! I lived long enough to see wood floors - considered old-fashioned, unfinished-looking and déclassé in my childhood - return to fashion, and now . . . the second coming of vinyl! I loved my vinyl kitchen and bathroom floors and wall-to-wall carpeting before they became old-fashioned and déclassé. I'm probably too old now to get another go-round with them, though.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:28 pm

We put in wood plank porcelain about 3 months ago in our main downstairs rooms. It was a great choice for us. There are many choices out there now with some having a lot of texture and variation. We have a slab foundation and run the AC much more often than the heater so will appreciate the tile floors in the summer (we had a lot of tile in a previous house). At first we thought we would go with an engineered wood product for this remodel project but as we shopped and looked at the finish durability and cost we didn't like what we saw. As we opened up to the plank porcelain we saw dozens of samples at a variety of price points ranging from $2/sq ft to $20/sq foot. We chose a product at $7/square foot that we really like because it has variation in color, texture, and pattern. We looked at LVT products as well but frankly they cost as much as the porcelain plank and engineered wood. Those 100 year old soild oak wood plank floors that always come up in threads like this are great if you have them but you aren't going to find old growth wood to put in a new floor easily today so be careful about that analogy. If you can get affordably installed solid white oak rift or quartered floors in a natural finish that will hide scratches that's great but that's not really doable where I live in the land of slab foundations.

WannabeEarlyRetiree

Post by WannabeEarlyRetiree » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:50 am

When we did major remodel, we put in wood grain tiles in the kitchen and bathrooms while hardwood floor throughout rest of the house. Look wise -amazing! Maintainence wise -pain in the ass!!!

Both tiles and wood have very slight uneven texture. We bought the more expensive tiles so it looks and feels exactly like real wood. But the not-glossy-smooth surface allows dust and crumbs to hide so when we broom/vacuum/mop, we have to go over the surface a few times to get rid of everything.

If I can redo, I probably would put in smooth surface vinyl everywhere.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:59 am

new2bogle wrote:
jf89 wrote:I agree with PowDay above. I'm too concerned that the wood-look tiles will be a weird trend that we look back on in 20 years and ask ourselves what in God's name we were thinking (like old appliance colors from the 60s and 70s, shag carpet, conversation pits, basically anything "modern" from the 80's, and applying vast amounts of wallpaper).

If we are talking about 20 years in the future, I'm not sure how good any flooring will look. My parents' house has 3/4" hardwood flooring on the first floor and after 15 years it just looks awful. I'm not sure how much it's going to cost to get it refinished. So if what you get suits your purpose for 15-20 years, then just come back here again with the same question :D
While I don't disagree with your statement, my inlaws have a craftsman home that was built in 1910. I don't know if the hardwood flooring is original, but it's definitely 20+ years old and it still looks great.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:41 am

Is this a working kitchen or a show kitchen? For a working kitchen I'd go with vinyl and let the guests admire my cakes.

Wood is softer that tile, and vinyl is softer than wood.

If you drop Corelle Ware on wood or vinyl it bounces. If you drop it on tile it shatters. Most ceramic dishes are not as tough as Corelle ware and will survive better on vinyl than wood.

This also matters when you have to stand on it. In a tiled kitchen I have to have area mats (or wear sneakers) in front of every work area Standing on tile for more than a few minutes becomes painful. Standing on wood or vinyl is more tolerable for say 10 minutes. I still use a mat in front of the sink, but I don't need them everywhere else.

btenny

Post by btenny » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:55 am

Floors need to be smooth to clean easily. Many times these fancy new wood look tiles and vinyl floors are "textured" so they collect dirt in the floor groves. This makes them tough to clean. So what ever you buy make sure it is smooth. This is why wood floors are so nice when new. They are totally flat and have no grout groves or other texture to hold dirt. So you can clean them easily. This is also why big tile floors are nice. The big tiles are completely smooth and the only thing to collect dirt is the small grout lines.

So no matter the product you select make sure it is smooth surfaced.

Good Luck.

TonyDAntonio

Post by TonyDAntonio » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:10 pm

Have you looked into bamboo flooring? The stuff I've seen is hard and beautiful. If you like the look of wood but are fearful of putting it in the kitchen maybe it is the solution. If I can talk my wife into it bamboo will be our downstairs flooring, although not in the newly tiled kitchen :D

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:13 pm

btenny wrote: So no matter the product you select make sure it is smooth surfaced.
. . . except in bathrooms where texture is good.

mortfree

Post by mortfree » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:23 pm

Karndean is a brand that you could consider for vinyl with a wood finish look.

holds up well in high traffic areas and with my great dane.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:30 pm

thanks for sharing!

Do you find vinyl flooring shows scuff marks from shoes very easily (more so than tile)? How often do you need to clean it?

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:32 pm

Before you commit to vinyl, do some research on toxic chemicals, such as pthalates, in vinyl. Many people would not choose to have it in a home with small children. YMMV, of course.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:44 pm

I've always favored solid hardwood flooring, even in kitchens though I prefer tile in bathrooms for the texture making it less of a slip hazard. Something to consider with any tile or laminated flooring. If you drop something heavy enough on it to chip it or dent through the veneer layer, you have an eyesore that will never go away no matter what you do. If you do the same thing on a hardwood floor, there is no veneer layer so the dent blends in and isn't noticeable. With modern wood fillers, you can make them disappear.

My parents finally refinished their 60 year old hardwood floor for the first time mostly to go with a lighter stain and it still looks fantastic and it survived my youth and raising a large dog as well. I have been in many a 30 year old home with tile that has a number of chips and cracked tiles from wear over the years. Anything laminate I would consider to be cheap and disposable.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:54 pm

Rupert wrote:Before you commit to vinyl, do some research on toxic chemicals, such as pthalates, in vinyl. Many people would not choose to have it in a home with small children. YMMV, of course.
good to know...looks like I'm back to tile and hardwood!

mortfree

Post by mortfree » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:07 pm

Rupert wrote:Before you commit to vinyl, do some research on toxic chemicals, such as pthalates, in vinyl. Many people would not choose to have it in a home with small children. YMMV, of course.
please provide supporting information - that is quite a claim to put out on here with nothing to back it up.

http://www.plasticsnews.com/article/201 ... durability

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:50 pm

mortfree wrote:
please provide supporting information - that is quite a claim to put out on here with nothing to back it up.

I deliberately didn't link to anything because I don't want to weigh in on the issue, which I think I kinda acknowledged was controversial by saying "YMMV." But I do think it's an issue that anyone with small children considering purchasing vinyl should know about and consider. There's plenty of research on the interweb. Google is your friend in that regard.

englishgirl

Post by englishgirl » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:53 pm

We put in the wood look tile into half our house before moving in. We made sure to select one that didn't have the type of surface to attract dirt - it has a small amount of texture but is more of a soft uneven-ness rather than any grainy crevices. It's still easy to run a mop over. Ours is on top of the concrete sub-floor.

While I'm a bit concerned that this will look like a dated fad in 20 years, to be honest, the tile in the other half of the house looks pretty dated to me too. And we ripped out a vanity unit because it was terribly dated and put a new one in that will probably be ripped out by other new owners in the future. Stuff looks like a part of its time period - I don't find that a big issue really.

Anyway, I'm still happy with our decision, 6 months in. Easy to clean, and no problems.
Sarah

auggiedoggies

Post by auggiedoggies » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:17 pm

Again, thank you everyone for the feedback! A couple of thoughts:

We currently have tile. It is cracking in a few spots, and needs to be replaced. It also looks dated, as it is original to the house (about 20 years old)

We have a pretty nice house, but nothing extravagant. We are a young family, so we are not really concerned about having a model home. We love our current home, it's functional, has great "bones", and is in a tremendous location. It just looks a bit dated, so we are looking to update. Honestly, we are planning to live in this house for the next 20-30 years, so resale value isn't a tremendous concern. What I mean by that is, I'm not willing to spend 2-3x and deal with significantly more cleaning and upkeep just so that we can say we have hardwood floors when it's time to sell.

I think that with us having at least 1 young child (hopefully another soon) and a dog, hardwood isn't the best choice. I'm really starting to lean towards a wood look vinyl. After doing some research, it appears that the key (as with anything) is to buy as high quality as you can afford.

Here's a quick pic of what the current tile looks like:

http://pasteboard.co/vZ9NxHmsn.png

edge

Post by edge » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:35 pm

Tile, even the wood look tile, does not look like wood, because of the grout. Second, it does not feel at ALL like wood. It is much colder and harder (of course). It is disconcerting to me that it looks one way and then behaves very differently.

I would go for 'stone look' porcelain tile before wood look. At least it feels closer to stone than wood.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:16 pm

Rupert wrote:
mortfree wrote:

I deliberately didn't link to anything because I don't want to weigh in on the issue, which I think I kinda acknowledged was controversial by saying "YMMV." But I do think it's an issue that anyone with small children considering purchasing vinyl should know about and consider. There's plenty of research on the interweb. Google is your friend in that regard.
Frankly, every type of flooring product, and most building products for that matter, have some sort of toxic component to them. Carpets can off-gas VOCs for months. Tile grout and cement can have nasty chemicals. Wood floors are often finished with oil-based products with toxic components. Even cement isn't all fun and games when it comes to its chemical composition.

And anyone on the Internet can claim to have a laboratory report or construe the results in a misleading fashion. That doesn't mean there is scientific consensus. One should analyze whether the reports (a) provide enough information for another laboratory to replicate the testing conditions (bonus if others have replicated the conditions and found the same results) and (b) whether the testing conditions are using the appropriate context for the intended usage of the product, which in this case would be the long-term impacts to health after having been installed for a period of time instead of the immediate post-installation levels.

Badfinger

Post by Badfinger » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:52 pm

This is a perfect example of there being a trade-off for most everything.

You know the pros and cons of the various products. And have read valid points on them above.

What you need to do is what will make your spouse (I assume you are married) happy. That happiness is priceless.

smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:43 pm

auggiedoggies wrote:Looking at replacing about 1500 sq ft of tile in our home. Currently in our kitchen, entryway, part of the family room, most of the living/dining room.

We just went through a major remodel and replaced the ceramic tile in all our bathrooms with a textured reclaimed wood luxury vinyl plank (LVP) and replaced the worn out oak floor in the kitchen with grouted stone look luxury vinyl tile (LVT). Very happy with the results.

The problem with ceramic tile is that it doesn't feel like wood. It's cold and hard. Laminate and luxury vinyl both can simulate wood feel. Water can damage laminate, so it's not a good choice for bath or kitchen.

You should get some samples of luxury vinyl plank and/or luxury vinyl tile for comparison. We walk around barefoot at home so we hated the cold hard feel of ceramic tile and got rid of it. Luxury vinyl is water proof, very durable, and comes in many different colors and textures. The planks are click and lock like real wood and they install directly on subfloor. Installation is much simpler and cheaper than dealing with tile. I can drop a knife or a heavy cast iron pot on the floor and it won't be visibly damage. It's solid plastic so it's impervious to water damage. The best quality stuff is wood grain textured and the photo quality is so good, it's difficult to tell from the real thing unless you get really close. We used the top of the line product from Shaw Floors.

https://shawfloors.com/flooring/vinyl/floorte/_/wood
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Lloydo

Post by Lloydo » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:50 pm

I have been impressed with this material: http://www.usfloorsllc.com/display-cate ... etec-plus/

Lloyd

malabargold

Post by malabargold » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:00 pm

Really high-end wood-look tile appears indistinguishable
from exotic wood at point blank range.

It will be cooler to the touch without under the floor
radiant heat however