Where to stay in Sanibel Island, FL recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
fiverus

Where to stay in Sanibel Island, FL recommendations

Post by fiverus » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:02 pm

I am planning a vacation to Sanibel Island, any recommendations are appreciated. This will be our first time, myself and 3 adult children. I hear good things about West Wind Inn. We would like to stay on the beach. We would be going for less than a week.

white_water

Re: Where to stay in Sanibel Island, FL recommendations

Post by white_water » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:51 pm

If you don't need a dining room, bar, daily maid service you might look on line for condos for rent by owner. Rented condos 3 times on Sanibel for up to 6 people and felt it worked out well.

As far as other accommodations, sorry, can't help.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:51 pm

watch out for the Noseeum's! They were vicious when we were there.

Tim

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:29 am

I stayed at Sundial and it was great. This goes back aways and we rented a condo in the resort but it looks like they also do rentals in more of a hotel style as well. Sanibel is a beautiful place so any upscale type lodging is probably going to be good there.

Sanibel is a great place to relax and "chill" for a week.

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:52 am

Nowizard wrote:watch out for the Noseeum's! They were vicious when we were there.

Tim
+1

For some reason they liked me a lot more than my wife. When we were at the pool as a joke my wife counted the bites on my legs and got up to 85 before she quit.

pintail07

Post by pintail07 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:33 pm

Casa Ybell is great on Sanibel but we prefer South Seas Plantation on Captiva. Make sure to renta boat for part of a day and cruise down to Cabbege Key.

pennywise

Post by pennywise » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:07 pm

fiverus wrote:I am planning a vacation to Sanibel Island, any recommendations are appreciated. This will be our first time, myself and 3 adult children. I hear good things about West Wind Inn. We would like to stay on the beach. We would be going for less than a week.
One of my favorite getaway places, and I live 10 minutes from the beach in Miami. There's something very relaxing and magical about Sanibel; no stoplights, friendly people and of course the beach, sunsets and shelling.

Most rentals in Sanibel are condos that rent on a weekly basis. But if that's not what works for you some of the complexes mentioned will do shorter stays. You may also want to check out Mitchells Sandcastles (http://mitchellssandcastles.com/), which consists of small cottages with a few larger houses available. It's beach front on a quiet section of the island, very nice. With your family configuration you might want to rent one of the duplex style units so you could have more space. West Wind Inn is nice, as is Island Inn. There is also 'Tween Waters (https://www.tween-waters.com/), an inn that also has a few cottage accomodations which is on Captiva directly across a narrow road from a very nice and sparsely used section of beach. 'Tween Waters is more full service with a couple of restaurants on site, it's very nice too.

Gosh, makes me want to book a trip right now :happy

fiverus

Post by fiverus » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:07 am

Pennywise, Thank you for your comments. I think I am leaning more towards Sanibel. Out of the 3 Westwind Inn, Mitchell's sandcastles and Island Inn which one is more tastefully decorated? Nicer? Sometimes pictures are deceiving where it looks nice online but when you get there not so nice.

Also viewed Sandalfoot condo's, Sundial and Sanibel Inn. What's your opinion on those?