WSJ Digital Subscription - a bargain!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Erwin

WSJ Digital Subscription - a bargain!

Post by Erwin » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:09 pm

I just subscribed to the digital version of the WSJ through an agency, Daily Subscription Agency (http://dailysubscription.com/). I paid $139.99 for two years, an absolute bargain. Since I was very fearful that it may be a fraud, I used my PayPal, which supposedly protects me. About 12 hours later I got the details on how to log in, and believe it or not, the place seems to be 100% legit. I am very happy since the regular subscription is so much more expensive. How can it be?
Erwin

Good Listener

Re: WSJ Digital Subscription - a bargain!

Post by Good Listener » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:28 pm

Erwin, I think that aside from their core audience, the paper is desperate for subscribers. This is universal in the industry which is why the paid publications seem to be gravitating from the balanced view. I stopped the WSJ several years ago and miss it to a zero extent. In fact, I used to get 4 magazines a month and had 3 newspaper subscriptions and have now dropped all except Kiplingers, which I will not renew in 3 months as even it has become too political for me. I wouldn't take the WSJ for free now. And economically, it costs nothing to them for your digital subscription to be added, which is why you got that rate. I hope I am not too representative of the population or these publications are on their last legs.

inverter

Post by inverter » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:39 pm

Just FYI, they are probably signing up with a student discount, etc. and then reselling it to you which could mean your account is at risk of being disabled.
Good Listener wrote:Erwin, I think that aside from their core audience, the paper is desperate for subscribers. This is universal in the industry which is why the paid publications seem to be gravitating from the balanced view. I stopped the WSJ several years ago and miss it to a zero extent. In fact, I used to get 4 magazines a month and had 3 newspaper subscriptions and have now dropped all except Kiplingers, which I will not renew in 3 months as even it has become too political for me. I wouldn't take the WSJ for free now. And economically, it costs nothing to them for your digital subscription to be added, which is why you got that rate. I hope I am not too representative of the population or these publications are on their last legs.
Also, want to comment on this... In my humble opinion, good media is critical for our country's health. Vote with your dollars, and support high quality publications like the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, Economist, New Yorker, etc. or whatever floats your boat. Cheers!

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:03 pm

johnriley wrote:
Also, want to comment on this... In my humble opinion, good media is critical for our country's health. Vote with your dollars, and support high quality publications like the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, Economist, New Yorker, etc. or whatever floats your boat. Cheers!
yup. i look for bargains as much as anyone, but when nobody pays for news then the ultimate result is that we won't have any news. and when the new york times is replaced by huffington post (or whoever) we all lose.

Trapper

Post by Trapper » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:13 pm

Well said Good Listener. I am in the same boat with you. I am even going to let my last magazine (kiplingers) expire when it comes up for renewal.

sevenseas

Post by sevenseas » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:28 pm

johnriley wrote: Also, want to comment on this... In my humble opinion, good media is critical for our country's health. Vote with your dollars, and support high quality publications like the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, Economist, New Yorker, etc. or whatever floats your boat. Cheers!
Agree 100%. I also recently found a good bargain on the Washington Post for Amazon Prime members (courtesy of Jeff Bezos I presume)...free 6 month digital subscription followed by a 60% discount on the monthly rate (grand total of 3.99). I'd never been a regular reader of the Post before, but it is essential reading for me now.

Good Listener

Post by Good Listener » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:33 pm

sevenseas wrote:
johnriley wrote: Also, want to comment on this... In my humble opinion, good media is critical for our country's health. Vote with your dollars, and support high quality publications like the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, Economist, New Yorker, etc. or whatever floats your boat. Cheers!
Agree 100%. I also recently found a good bargain on the Washington Post for Amazon Prime members (courtesy of Jeff Bezos I presume)...free 6 month digital subscription followed by a 60% discount on the monthly rate (grand total of 3.99). I'd never been a regular reader of the Post before, but it is essential reading for me now.
One person's "good publications" are another person's blood pressure raising publications and vice versa. It's fascinating.

sevenseas

Post by sevenseas » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:49 pm

Good Listener wrote:
One person's "good publications" are another person's blood pressure raising publications and vice versa. It's fascinating.
Just trying to share a good bargain for anyone interested. My personal opinion; no judgment implied for those who disagree.

brew

Post by brew » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:52 pm

I apologize if this is common knowledge here, but I just found out a few months ago that the Washington Post gives free access for anyone who verifies with .gov, .mil, or .edu email addresses. Hope that helps someone else.

bstevlin

Post by bstevlin » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:05 pm

johnriley wrote:Just FYI, they are probably signing up with a student discount, etc. and then reselling it to you which could mean your account is at risk of being disabled.
Good Listener wrote:Erwin, I think that aside from their core audience, the paper is desperate for subscribers. This is universal in the industry which is why the paid publications seem to be gravitating from the balanced view. I stopped the WSJ several years ago and miss it to a zero extent. In fact, I used to get 4 magazines a month and had 3 newspaper subscriptions and have now dropped all except Kiplingers, which I will not renew in 3 months as even it has become too political for me. I wouldn't take the WSJ for free now. And economically, it costs nothing to them for your digital subscription to be added, which is why you got that rate. I hope I am not too representative of the population or these publications are on their last legs.
The problem with the WSJ is competition. There is so much good writing available on Arts/letters daily at no cost why would I pay for a WSJ subscription. Some years ago I started a digital WSJ at $99/year. They raised to $139/year but I still hung in there. Then they raised it to $179/year so I walked. I have the feeling they are no longer hiring the best or the brightest. If I want financial information related to current events I would subscribe to the Economist or the Financial Times.

Teague

Post by Teague » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:14 pm

I couldn't agree more - in fact I recently subscribed to one of those publications, full price, for exactly that reason.
Semper Augustus

Topic Author
Erwin

Post by Erwin » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:34 pm

I pay full price (I think) for my NYT digital subscription, $20/month, but cannot see anything wrong with getting the best possible deal on the WSJ, if it is legit. That to me is the American way.
Erwin

Teague

Post by Teague » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:44 pm

Erwin wrote:I pay full price (I think) for my NYT digital subscription, $20/month, but cannot see anything wrong with getting the best possible deal on the WSJ, if it is legit. That to me is the American way.
Oh, I agree there as well. :happy When I mentioned "full price" above, I certainly took advantage of their current 40% discount for new subscribers - I just didn't have the time or inclination to pursue things beyond that. Me, give up a discount? Nae! I am, after all, a Boglehead!
Semper Augustus

Gropes & Ray

Post by Gropes & Ray » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:58 pm

I have the WSJ introductory rate of $12 for 12 weeks right now. I would continue to pay that if they let me, but I won't pay the full digital price. I subscribe to my local paper for $7.74 per 4 weeks. That comes with a digital Washington Post subscription. I think I get my money's worth from the 3 papers.

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:10 pm

Thanks for the tip. i will probably subscribe to at least one. There is also a free 6 month subscription to the Washington post going on (if you have Prime).
I will keep at least two paying subscription for the better papers.

https://subscribe.washingtonpost.com/prime/#/

student

Post by student » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:32 pm

brew wrote:I apologize if this is common knowledge here, but I just found out a few months ago that the Washington Post gives free access for anyone who verifies with .gov, .mil, or .edu email addresses. Hope that helps someone else.
I did not know that. Thanks.

SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:22 am

An aside for those who plan to let their magazine subscriptions lapse - if you still would like to read the magazines, check with your local library. I have digital access to a number of magazines (including Kiplinger, since I saw that mentioned).

-Steph

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:38 am

brew wrote:I apologize if this is common knowledge here, but I just found out a few months ago that the Washington Post gives free access for anyone who verifies with .gov, .mil, or .edu email addresses. Hope that helps someone else.
+1. I take full advantage of my .edu alumni address.

Scorpion

Post by Scorpion » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:51 am

Erwin wrote:I just subscribed to the digital version of the WSJ through an agency, Daily Subscription Agency (http://dailysubscription.com/). I paid $139.99 for two years, an absolute bargain. Since I was very fearful that it may be a fraud, I used my PayPal, which supposedly protects me. About 12 hours later I got the details on how to log in, and believe it or not, the place seems to be 100% legit. I am very happy since the regular subscription is so much more expensive. How can it be?
Thanks for the tip - let us know if anything goes wrong, I think I may try this in a couple of months!

Toons

Post by Toons » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:59 am

The internet changed it all for me around 1997.
No more subscriptions
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:00 am

I receive the WP online edition free through my subscription to my local mullet wrapper. The 7 day/week delivery for the local paper sets me back a whopping $52/year.

Even at such a very low expense, the papers bring little joy to my morning. During the previous day I typically have read most articles somewhere else on the internet. So the "news" isn't "new" any longer.

I enjoy much more the "beefier" pieces in think-tank writings, magazines and such.

Broken Man 1999

ETA: Just for grins I checked on e-bay, there are two-year digital subscriptions to WSJ for $99, and print deals as well. I trust e-bay because my last print and digital editions to the WSJ were purchased from e-bay. The subscription worked flawlessly.
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

truenorth418

Post by truenorth418 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:22 am

Years ago I decided to subscribe to the WSJ - I forget the rate but it was 100's of $$ per year - a lot of money to me then - but what attracted me was they offered to include the online version for free. Then a few weeks after I'd paid, they cancelled my online subscription and told me they would now be charging for it separately from the print edition.

In other words, when "digital" was all new and flashy they used it to bait and switch their subscribers. And now they are struggling.

Between that experience and the over-politicization of the news content I think I will pass.

mnnice

Post by mnnice » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:22 am

I had a pop up ad from WSJ for a president's day sale. $1 for 2 months digital print or both.

I would have bitten but the fine print said 180 days since the last subscription.

Topic Author
Erwin

Post by Erwin » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:29 am

Scorpion wrote:
Erwin wrote:I just subscribed to the digital version of the WSJ through an agency, Daily Subscription Agency (http://dailysubscription.com/). I paid $139.99 for two years, an absolute bargain. Since I was very fearful that it may be a fraud, I used my PayPal, which supposedly protects me. About 12 hours later I got the details on how to log in, and believe it or not, the place seems to be 100% legit. I am very happy since the regular subscription is so much more expensive. How can it be?
Thanks for the tip - let us know if anything goes wrong, I think I may try this in a couple of months!
It has been a few days since the start. The login and password in the instructions were a bunch of letters and numbers that I will not remember. Thus, I changed them to my standard email and a password that I could remember, and so far so good!
Erwin

ctraveler

Post by ctraveler » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:51 am

I stopped all physical magazine subscriptions and now subscribe to the Texture app where I can read a whole bunch of magazines fo $10 per month on my iPad.

hlfo718

Post by hlfo718 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:14 pm

I found a better deal last year for WSJ online through Amazon, $60 for 2 years. But not sure how often these deals come up. WSJ is the only subscription I have.

siamond

Post by siamond » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:29 pm

I read and do a lot of stuff online, and I am glad to rest my eyes with some paper publications. I also find that somehow it makes reading in-depth articles much more effective, I tend to zone out quickly when reading online.

The best deal of all is to pay for the Wall Street Journal (paper version) with frequent flyer miles. Not only is this extremely cheap, but I wouldn't use my miles otherwise, notably with some airlines that I stopped using years ago. Now if they would allow to pay for online magazines as well with miles, this would be a great improvement.

As to the point that "good media is critical for our country's health", I cannot agree more. Notably in our troubled times of fact distortions. :?

Constant Chaos

Post by Constant Chaos » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:46 pm

mnnice wrote:I had a pop up ad from WSJ for a president's day sale. $1 for 2 months digital print or both.

I would have bitten but the fine print said 180 days since the last subscription.
Was pondering this too...but it's $32 per month after the first two months expire. I do want to support a professional press...but almost $400 per year for digital access is pushing me towards the OP's deal instead.

jumppilot

Post by jumppilot » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:53 pm

The Economist is one of the best magazines I've ever read and gladly pay hundreds of dollars a year to subscribe. They must be doing something right.

Reminds me of a funny Onion video I once saw.

http://www.theonion.com/video/time-anno ... t-ad-17950

Swansea

Post by Swansea » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:42 am

I paid $209 for a six month hardcopy and digital WSJ subscription. Just received a letter from them saying that the rate will be raised to $235 for the next six months. This may cause me to switch to getting through my local library online. It is text only, no pics, but free.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:28 am

truenorth418 wrote:Years ago I decided to subscribe to the WSJ - I forget the rate but it was 100's of $$ per year - a lot of money to me then - but what attracted me was they offered to include the online version for free. Then a few weeks after I'd paid, they cancelled my online subscription and told me they would now be charging for it separately from the print edition.

In other words, when "digital" was all new and flashy they used it to bait and switch their subscribers. And now they are struggling.

Between that experience and the over-politicization of the news content I think I will pass.
We currently have a WSJ home delivery subscription, it costs less than a subscription to our fishwrap quality local newspaper, and includes the online version.

We currently have no magazine subscriptions.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Cruise

Post by Cruise » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:02 pm

Thanks for the tip! Very much appreciate you sharing...

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:06 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (subscription).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Incendiary

Post by Incendiary » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:35 am

There is also a 3 yr digital subscription for $209.99 on the same site, just FYI.

telemark

Post by telemark » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:54 am

Erwin wrote:I am very happy since the regular subscription is so much more expensive. How can it be?
It's a bit like airline ticket prices: flying the plane is a fixed cost, so they want to fill up all the seats while getting the highest price each passenger is willing to pay. Putting the paper out every day also has a fixed cost that has little to do with what you pay to read it. I think economists have a formal name for this, but I don't remember what.

Incendiary

Post by Incendiary » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:16 am

telemark wrote:
Erwin wrote:I am very happy since the regular subscription is so much more expensive. How can it be?
It's a bit like airline ticket prices: flying the plane is a fixed cost, so they want to fill up all the seats while getting the highest price each passenger is willing to pay. Putting the paper out every day also has a fixed cost that has little to do with what you pay to read it. I think economists have a formal name for this, but I don't remember what.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_discrimination

Incendiary

Post by Incendiary » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:13 pm

Are you supposed to have online access to Barron's as part of your wsj digital subscription?

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:51 pm

Incendiary wrote:Are you supposed to have online access to Barron's as part of your wsj digital subscription?
No, it's a separate subscription at least for my account.

ColoradoRick

Post by ColoradoRick » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:15 am

I buy the hardcopy WSJ as a new subscriber after my 6 month or 1 year introductory offer expires. Their regular rate to me of $400/year and their credit card automatic opt-in (don't get me started; everything should be opt in, not a required opt out) are too expensive. Being a baby boomer who likes the feel of newsprint as he drinks his morning coffee the intro price is fair. They are reputable and in my opinion almost always accurate. Like all of us they have a bias so I watch CNN & PBS news to counterbalance. I pay by check, & when it expires wait 6 months and renew. Repeat. I realize this won't work for all, just my opinion.

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:29 am

The Washington Post online is free, at least it is for me. I've never had to pay anything or log in or do anything extra.

As for the NY Times online, I thought it was pay-based until I recently changed a few browser settings and realized it was free too.

The WSJ is one of the few majors that isn't free or open access, though the workaround described in another thread works well.

These days, I read only the occasional article in WSJ. Years back I read the whole paper sans the editorials, which I had heard were questionable. I recently read a WSJ editorial and it was indeed questionable, even though I believe ownership of the paper has changed. In that particular article, there was little command of the material being discussed. The knowledge gap was pretty shocking though the content was related to government not economics. The NY Times noticed it too and gave sort of a tutorial to the WSJ by explaining how things worked. (Note that this was something factual, not conjecture.) It's a reminder that in any newspaper, the news content and editorial pages may have different standards.

davephx

Post by davephx » Mon May 01, 2017 5:27 pm

I am just coming off a 2-year WSJ sub at $981 (with digital and Barrons) but am having 2nd thoughts renewing for $570.15 for one-year. Looking at cheaper just digital options, although I enjoy reading the hard copy.

WSJ is a bit too conservative in the opinions but I enjoy reading both sides of all issues to fuly understand and evaluate. WSJ, NY Times, CNN in my view are great for in-depth reporting on the real news.

Broadway519

Post by Broadway519 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:03 pm

DailySubscription seems to be one of the coolest scams around -- BEWARE!!

I too signed up for the 2-year subscription for $139.99. I got my credentials from Daily Subscription and was able to get access to the digital edition, just as advertised. The next time I went to log on (about a month later), the access didn't work. Daily Subscription did not offer a phone number, and since I wanted to read an article right away, I called the WSJ customer service. They could find no record of my subscription. They then asked me if I signed up through Daily Subscription. When I replied "yes," they said that DS is not an authorized seller of WSJ, and the subscriptions get cancelled after a short period of time. They suggested I contact my credit card company and cancel the charge; I am thankful that I was within the 60-day period by which to do so.

Incendiary

Post by Incendiary » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:15 am

Broadway519 wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:03 pm
DailySubscription seems to be one of the coolest scams around -- BEWARE!!

I too signed up for the 2-year subscription for $139.99. I got my credentials from Daily Subscription and was able to get access to the digital edition, just as advertised. The next time I went to log on (about a month later), the access didn't work. Daily Subscription did not offer a phone number, and since I wanted to read an article right away, I called the WSJ customer service. They could find no record of my subscription. They then asked me if I signed up through Daily Subscription. When I replied "yes," they said that DS is not an authorized seller of WSJ, and the subscriptions get cancelled after a short period of time. They suggested I contact my credit card company and cancel the charge; I am thankful that I was within the 60-day period by which to do so.
Interesting. Mine has worked for many months now without issue. Sorry to hear yours was cancelled.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:58 am

hard to find news sources that aren't biased anymore trying to slant it in their direction. Unfortunate.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:24 am

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kramer

Post by kramer » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:21 am

Thanks for the warnings.

FYI, I had to click around the WSJ.com site to get an actual price. Right now, I could get all-digital for 6 months for $111 or all-digital for 12 months for $222. After that time period, you are automatically enrolled at the price of $111 plus tax per quarter.

While I find even the sale price a bit expensive, what I really hate is having to carefully manage my subscription to make sure I don't get renewed at the higher price. And I am sure I will have to call them to cancel and get hassled to resubscribe. And then I will have to play the subscription game again to try to get a good rate for a renewal. Just not worth the hassle to me.

I do like the NY Times subscription model at $15 per 4 weeks, which seems much more straightforward.

Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:38 am

For cheapskates (like me) you can read the pdf version free here: http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/ ... 171104.pdf
Just change the (20171104) to the desired date.

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:42 am

kramer wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:21 am
Thanks for the warnings.

FYI, I had to click around the WSJ.com site to get an actual price. Right now, I could get all-digital for 6 months for $111 or all-digital for 12 months for $222. After that time period, you are automatically enrolled at the price of $111 plus tax per quarter.

While I find even the sale price a bit expensive, what I really hate is having to carefully manage my subscription to make sure I don't get renewed at the higher price. And I am sure I will have to call them to cancel and get hassled to resubscribe. And then I will have to play the subscription game again to try to get a good rate for a renewal. Just not worth the hassle to me.

I do like the NY Times subscription model at $15 per 4 weeks, which seems much more straightforward.
Six months ago or so I saw this link and subscribed to the WSJ for 3 years for $169.99 -- it's now higher ($204.99) but still a good price (digital)
https://dailysubscription.com/

for $222 I would not subscribe - $205.00 for years I would again.

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:48 am

Last edited by Rob5TCP on Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:04 pm

Cheyenne wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:38 am
For cheapskates (like me) you can read the pdf version free here: http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/ ... 171104.pdf
Just change the (20171104) to the desired date.
Very handy and no javascript required. But it gives different results from the actual web site.

Using the pdf trick, the newspaper header reads:
Saturday/Sunday, November 4-5, 2017
At the www.wsj.com website, the header reads:
U.S. Edition - November 4, 2017
The stories are completely different as well.