Walkable Florida

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Barefootgirl

Walkable Florida

Post by Barefootgirl »

I recently visited a friend in Sarasota for a few days. We took drives up and down the coast in that area. Some lovely neighborhoods close to the water, expensive of course and as you move east, just sprawl and traffic as far as I could see. On the way to Punta Gorda for lunch, we *crawled* along the Tamiami Trail. There was rubbernecking along I-75 as well.

I recognize nirvana does not exist in reality - but are there any neighborhoods in that area that might be reasonable priced, but also walkable to shops and a downtown park or coffee shop? or is it all pretty much based on the American style of subdivisions/stripmalls/automobiles?

I'd rather not spend my retirement in a car stuck in traffic when trying to get from one place to another. (I realize that statement is dramatic, but it makes a point)
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
livesoft

Re: Walkable Florida

Post by livesoft »

What is walkable for one person and a web site is not even remotely walkable by some other people's standards.

And walkable may depend on the season of the year.

I live in a convenient location where a very nice strip mall (with restaurants, grocery store, drug store, doctor, vet, dentist, pizza, ice cream, starbucks, banks, etc) is a half-mile or 10 minute walk away. None of my neighbors would ever walk there, but I do it all the time. It is not downtown, but there are multiple pocket parks along the way depending on which way one walks there. I walked to the grocery store twice last week. I would not do that mid-day in the summer, but I would ride my bike on the bikepath instead.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
ladders11

Post by ladders11 »

You could live downtown in St Petersburg or Tampa. They have nice places with different price ranges. They are reasonably dense and active but not especially crowded.

I don't think Bradenton, Sarasota, or Fort Myers have a real downtown. But if you live near a strip mall with a Publix, it will be very walkable for you. 8-)
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Walking in Florida is nice for a few months of the year. The rest of the year your shoes will melt to the pavement. Nobody really wants to see you dripping sweat on the table at the restaurant.

Also as you progress further in retirement, what's walkable now might not be tomorrow. By the time you can't drive, you probably won't be able to walk very far, either. And remember that walking is one thing, toting six bags of groceries back from Publix is another. Publix is a nice store, but unless you plan on working there, visiting every day to pick up one or two items is probably more than most people want to do - walking or driving.

You might instead concentrate on locations where there is relatively little traffic between you and where you want to go regularly. There are plenty of places like that in Florida. You won't be going from one city to another every day.
furwut

Post by furwut »

There is a service called Walkscore which calculates the walkability of a given location. Many real estate listings feature this score - at least in parts of the country where walkability exists and is a desirable/obtainable feature.

Where I live the walkscore is 97 (out of a hundred). There is not a good or service that I need that is not within 10 - 15 minute walk for me. Because of this I haven't owned a car since 2003.

Walkscore has a list of the top 10 walkable cities for 2016. Miami is number 5. I bet there are neighborhoods in Miami that must be highly walkable.
MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland »

The Florida Keys have areas that are very walkable.

Ybor City is a neighborhood in Tampa that's walkable, although not walkable to the water.
btenny

Post by btenny »

The Villages in central Florida is almost perfect for retirees. You can drive all over the place in your own golf cart. Plus you can walk all around down town to stores and restaurants and enjoy the day while never getting in your car. Then when you want to go home you drive a small golf cart a mile to your home near by. The town is 100% set up for golf carts.

http://www.citylab.com/commute/2015/09/ ... ts/406081/

Good Luck.
Rattlesnake

Post by Rattlesnake »

We spend the month of March in Florida and my experience is to avoid the Sarasota to Bradenton 41 (and south) route at this time of year, which you encountered....Just to much traffic... Unfortunately, to get from A to B there in most cases; we drive.... Won't give up any secrets but if that's your preference in the area of Florida; suggest you explore.... There's plenty to enjoy there....

Just my $0.02....
9th Infantry Division LRRP (Ranger) | 1968-69
Gill

Post by Gill »

ladders11 wrote:I don't think Bradenton, Sarasota, or Fort Myers have a real downtown. But if you live near a strip mall with a Publix, it will be very walkable for you. 8-)
Sarasota has a very distinct and beautiful downtown but it's not inexpensive to live downtown.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
kenner

Post by kenner »

Barefootgirl wrote: ... are there any neighborhoods in that area that might be reasonable priced, but also walkable to shops and a downtown park or coffee shop?
A possibility is the Venice, Florida area, located between Sarasota and Punta Gorda.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Disney World is eminently walkable and affordable for Florida residents with annual passes.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

VictoriaF wrote:Disney World is eminently walkable and affordable for Florida residents with annual passes.
Victoria
:D 8-) except during the months of May, June, July, August, September - and some Aprils and Octobers also - when, as tibbits says
tibbitts wrote:Walking in Florida is nice for a few months of the year. The rest of the year your shoes will melt to the pavement.
John Bogle, "The Twelve Pillars of [Financial] Wisdom" - Pillar 4: Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained. Eschewing the risk of stocks, therefore, carries a risk of its own.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Barefootgirl wrote:I recently visited a friend in Sarasota for a few days. We took drives up and down the coast in that area. Some lovely neighborhoods close to the water, expensive of course and as you move east, just sprawl and traffic as far as I could see. On the way to Punta Gorda for lunch, we *crawled* along the Tamiami Trail. There was rubbernecking along I-75 as well.

I recognize nirvana does not exist in reality - but are there any neighborhoods in that area that might be reasonable priced, but also walkable to shops and a downtown park or coffee shop? or is it all pretty much based on the American style of subdivisions/stripmalls/automobiles?

I'd rather not spend my retirement in a car stuck in traffic when trying to get from one place to another. (I realize that statement is dramatic, but it makes a point)
er

Living in Tn....I meet a whole lot of people whom are called "halfbacks"
They moved or retired to Florida,,,,then head North to a more 4 seasoned Moderate climate,
I travel quite frequently to Florida in the RV.
I tend to avoid the East Coast.
The Gulf is beautiful but like the east coast people are packed like Sardines in a can.
I have found myself roaming the Panhandle and Central Florida.
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

This is the height of snowbird season here in FL. Try Venice to be able to town walk a bit. Lots of people here
with roads not conducive to carrying them.
Last edited by tennisplyr on Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.
csm

Post by csm »

Toons wrote:
The Gulf is beautiful but like the east coast people are packed like Sardines in a can.
Toons, what type of RV do you have? We are retiring soon and will sell one home and keep the central Florida condo as our base, but plan to buy an RV to get away during the hot summer months (or more like spring through fall).

Your favorite places to travel in the RV? We have a long list and look forward to getting back to the west coast (of the U.S., not Florida!), national parks, western Canada, etc. but always interested in others' experiences and favorite places.
Toons

Post by Toons »

csm wrote:
Toons wrote:
Toons, what type of RV do you have? We are retiring soon and will sell one home and keep the central Florida condo as our base, but plan to buy an RV to get away during the hot summer months (or more like spring through fall).

Your favorite places to travel in the RV? We have a long list and look forward to getting back to the west coast (of the U.S., not Florida!), national parks, western Canada, etc. but always interested in others' experiences and favorite places.

Own a Class B "Roadtrek"
I have not covered every State in the country,of those that I have.
New Mexico,Colorado,Gulf Shores Alabama,Panhandle of Florida.Northwest Florida,
Outer Banks of North Carolina,,,come to mind as places I enjoyed and would go back and spend time
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
csm

Post by csm »

Toons wrote:

Own a Class B "Roadtrek"
I have not covered every State in the country,of those that I have.
New Mexico,Colorado,Gulf Shores Alabama,Panhandle of Florida.Northwest Florida,
Outer Banks of North Carolina,,,come to mind as places I enjoyed and would go back and spend time
Wonderful! We have looked closely at the Class Bs and even visited the Roadtrek factory in Ontario a couple of years ago. We just attended the Tampa Supershow and are keen on the Coach House B+ because of the quality of the build. It has a little more elbow room than a regular Class B and we hope to spend 4-6 months on the road.

Great list of places - all of which are on our list as well. Hoping to be on the road by latest early 2018 (if not this autumn).
Wisdomseeker

Post by Wisdomseeker »

I live downtown Sarasota for six months of the year. We have been here 4 years now and really enjoy living here. Yes the traffic is bad on certain roads and somethings are expensive. Some of the things that we walk to: (2) movie theaters, (5) live theaters, Whole Foods, Ice cream store, (30-40) restaurants, Selby Gardens, Farmers market, Barber shop, post office, Marina, Art & Craft shows, Gyms, etc, We spent several years in an RV looking at other parts of the country and settled here.