Car wash best practices in cold climates?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
angelescrest

Car wash best practices in cold climates?

Post by angelescrest »

I live in colder winter climates, where I can't hand wash my car outside when it's regularly below freezing. Most winters my car doesn't get clean too often especially considering how much salt and muck there is on the snow covered roads.

I recently took my relatively new car to an automatic car wash that I've used on another vehicle in the last. I hadn't paid much attention in the past, but the spinners were made of loose plastic, which just put a million small scratches on my clearcoat finish. I've used a touchless automatic car wash as well, but that did nothing to get the salty mud off my car.

What do you all do to keep your cars clean in colder, heavy snow areas? I don't live somewhere with a bunch of car wash options, but maybe I should be looking for a particular kind of place. I also wondered if there was some kind of extension hose I could pull from inside the house, not being sure if one can use an exterior spicket in freezing temps. though I don't know if there would be enough water pressure, and I'd have to find some kind of brush that I could use with a wand, and not by freezing hand.
Last edited by angelescrest on Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
livesoft

Re: Car wash best practices in cold climates?

Post by livesoft »

I'm not kidding: I don't bother to keep my car clean other than garage it and don't drive it. And for sure, I don't drive in mud.

If I would use a car wash, it would be of the touch-less variety, so nothing flapping on the paint.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

Yeah that's pretty much what I had been doing, but as someone who is newish to salty muddy roads, I don't know what kind of life I can expect out of my cars because of it. I'd like to run them at least 13-15 years.

Our winters here with snow go Nov-Mar, so it's a long time to keep your car muddy and salty.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

If you see someone with a clean car in the grocery store parking lot, ask them. That should get you the very local answer.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

Once a week to a lazer wash during snowy/salty winters is our standard here in the inner Northeast. That Lazer wash has no rotating brushes.
fishboat

Post by fishboat »

Take a look around for self-wash options. You pull in, spray your vehicle down with a pressure washer, or use a brush-wand, rinse, you're done...cost you a couple bucks in quarters. If there isn't one in your town..sounds like a business opportunity.

Topic Author
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

livesoft wrote:If you see someone with a clean car in the grocery store parking lot, ask them. That should get you the very local answer.
That would be the wash that scratches your paint.
MidMNtom

Post by MidMNtom »

Yep, for those of us in the north, this is a common issue. Over the years, Ive evolved starting with "quarter car washes" where you use their wand with soap and then rinse. I went at odd hours so I hoped no one would be waiting in line and I could take the time to dry off with my own towels.
Then I eventually insulated and heated my garage. Then moved to a place where I heated my garage AND....had floor drains.

Seems like a lot just to be able to keep your car clean, but its a big deal for me here in the north. This is one of the few luxurys I allow myself, but somehow I justify it. it makes a nice hobby for the shut in winter months. i also have plumbed in hot and cold water. I'm sure its costly to heat this extra 1K sq. feet (45 degrees,) but no complaints from DW when we get into semi warm cars when its below zero.

Best of luck!
Topic Author
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

fishboat wrote:Take a look around for self-wash options. You pull in, spray your vehicle down with a pressure washer, or use a brush-wand, rinse, you're done...cost you a couple bucks in quarters. If there isn't one in your town..sounds like a business opportunity.

That takes off all the grime? Seems like you need something to lift off the dirt. The touchless I've tried doesn't get my car clean, but I'm wondering how often you clean it? If my car had a rinse after every drive, I could see it all rinsing off, but sometimes it'll be a couple weeks just due to the roads staying dirty/muddy.
Lindrobe

Post by Lindrobe »

Where I live, we have a deluxe version of the self service bay posted above. It has a door that closes after you pull in and is heated. I live in Northern Indiana and the salt is awful. I try to wash my truck every couple weeks if we have had snow and salted roads. I never ever use a drive through car wash.
onourway

Post by onourway »

We live in a cold snowy area that uses a ton of salt. We keep our vehicles a long time (2 of our daily drivers are 20 and 19 years old - no rust).

We do not garage our cars. Garages, especially heated garages, keep the salt active because it remains above freezing.

I use the manual car washes and only use the high pressure soap and plain water settings. I feel I get better salt removal this way and no clear coat damage. I can also do a car for about $4 instead of the $8-10 charged in the automatic bays. This means I can wash twice as often for the same cost. I focus on the wheel wells, and make sure to get the undercarriage every time. I don't wash if it is well below freezing and there is no salt slurry on the roads. Again, the salt is less active when it is cold and dry.

Also, certain brands of cars have much better rust-proofing than others. The worst seem to be Japanese brands - with Mazda and Subaru the worst of those - American brands next on the list, and European brands the best, with the (what used to be) Scandinavian brands - now just Volvo - generally the best.
Topic Author
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

MidMNtom wrote:Yep, for those of us in the north, this is a common issue. Over the years, Ive evolved starting with "quarter car washes" where you use their wand with soap and then rinse. I went at odd hours so I hoped no one would be waiting in line and I could take the time to dry off with my own towels.
Then I eventually insulated and heated my garage. Then moved to a place where I heated my garage AND....had floor drains.

Seems like a lot just to be able to keep your car clean, but its a big deal for me here in the north. This is one of the few luxurys I allow myself, but somehow I justify it. it makes a nice hobby for the shut in winter months. i also have plumbed in hot and cold water. I'm sure its costly to heat this extra 1K sq. feet (45 degrees,) but no complaints from DW when we get into semi warm cars when its below zero.

Best of luck!
Wow, so you can hose down and wash inside the garage? Please upload a photo :-). I've tried washing bucket by bucket w warm water, but you can imagine how long that takes outside.
fishboat

Post by fishboat »

angelescrest wrote:
fishboat wrote:Take a look around for self-wash options. You pull in, spray your vehicle down with a pressure washer, or use a brush-wand, rinse, you're done...cost you a couple bucks in quarters. If there isn't one in your town..sounds like a business opportunity.

That takes off all the grime? Seems like you need something to lift off the dirt. The touchless I've tried doesn't get my car clean, but I'm wondering how often you clean it? If my car had a rinse after every drive, I could see it all rinsing off, but sometimes it'll be a couple weeks just due to the roads staying dirty/muddy.
If you look on the wall in the bay to the right of the car..that is a soft brush that has water flowing through it. It can also have soapy water flowing through it..your choice on the panel inside the bay. Hit the car with a brush, switch over to a pressure washer to rinse..done..
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Our local car wash has spinning "brushes" but they are all made of cloth strips. I didn't think anyone used plastic anymore.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

angelescrest wrote: What do you all do to keep your cars clean in colder, heavy snow areas? I don't live somewhere with a bunch of car wash options, but maybe I should be looking for a particular kind of place. I also wondered if there was some kind of extension hose I could pull from inside the house, not being sure if one can use an exterior spicket in freezing temps. though I don't know if there would be enough water pressure, and I'd have to find some kind of brush that I could use with a wand, and not by freezing hand.
I dont care as much about it looking 'clean' as getting the salt off it - especially the undercarriage. Many autowashes don't spray the underside or do a poor job of it.

Hitting a $1.50 self-wash w/ the wand is the way to go, hit it every X weeks to get salt off which includes leaning down and spraying the undercarriage/wheelwells etc. I don't bother drying it. Give it a good clean/wax at home in Spring when its warmer, second wax in Fall before winter.
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
Lindrobe

Post by Lindrobe »

fishboat wrote:If you look on the wall in the bay to the right of the car..that is a soft brush that has water flowing through it. It can also have soapy water flowing through it..your choice on the panel inside the bay. Hit the car with a brush, switch over to a pressure washer to rinse..done..
I take my own bucket and sponge with me to the bay. Always afraid that those brushes will scratch my vehicle.
Topic Author
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

jebmke wrote:Our local car wash has spinning "brushes" but they are all made of cloth strips. I didn't think anyone used plastic anymore.
That's what I thought, too, until I took a closer look. I don't exactly live in the most modern town, or region.
strafe

Post by strafe »

In my experience touchless washes are harder on the paint because they use hyper-aggressive chemicals to clean. Over time touchless washes discolor plastic trim, and as I learned the hard way on an older car with single stage paint, oxidizes the finish. And the car still isn't clean...

Look for a "friction" wash that uses closed cell foam brushes. I haven't noticed any swirls or scratches from limited use of that type of automatic wash. I would spring for the upgraded wash option. "Triple foam" is mostly a marketing gimmick but the extra spray helps lubricate the paint and probably reduces scratches when you have dirt/salt caked on.
yukonjack

Post by yukonjack »

fishboat wrote:
angelescrest wrote:

If you look on the wall in the bay to the right of the car..that is a soft brush that has water flowing through it. It can also have soapy water flowing through it..your choice on the panel inside the bay. Hit the car with a brush, switch over to a pressure washer to rinse..done..
+1. This is what I do and it works well. Generally you only have to use the brush on the lower third of your vehicle. The biggest issue is finding a quiet time to go.
just frank

Post by just frank »

I have a cold water hose bib in my (above freezing) garage, and move the garden hose in there in the fall.

When I get a warmer day in the winter (and a little time) I hose off most of the salt and call it good enough, and basically free.
strafe

Post by strafe »

This is the wrong forum for car care advice! A significant contingent thinks rain cleans their cars rather than being the source of dirt. (Maybe true in the desert)

Check out Autopia or Meguiars Online.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

I live in a cold climate where they use lots of salt brine. I don't think car washes are a big deal as long as the car is garaged. If the car is garaged it will dry out and stay dry which is key. Heated garages are probably worse, as rust needs some warmth to start.

Cars that sit outside deteriorate quickly.

My cars get wand washed at a car wash once during the winter and thoroughly in the spring.

We have a 13 year old VW and an 8 year old Honda with no body rust. Undercarriage parts like control arms have some superficial surface rust. Not a big deal.
smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 »

You're not supposed to do it, but I've gone to these self wash bays during off hours and brought my own stuff: 5 gal bucket, microfiber towels/wash mop, brushes, and car wash detergent. I don't use their brush except on my tires because I don't trust that it's clean of grit.

Alternatively I've just washed the car in the driveway when temps >40F with a 5 gal bucket of warm water.
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast »

Live in Upstate NY. Budget to wash the car 1-2 times a month in the winter, depending on severity of weather. Use a touchless car wash now, that has the option for a high pressure underwash. I have never had rust problems or paint deterioration issues on any of my cars.
Illegitimi non carborundum.
Dimitri

Post by Dimitri »

strafe wrote:This is the wrong forum for car care advice! A significant contingent thinks rain cleans their cars rather than being the source of dirt. (Maybe true in the desert)

You are probably right. I live out here in the desert (Las Vegas). Cars get washed when they go in for service/maintenance at the dealership. Otherwise don't really care. If I owned a Lamborghini I might care. With two Toyotas - they aren't going to be worth any more or any less if I wash them or don't wash them. They are transportation.
Let's never come here again because it would never be as much fun.
Topic Author
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

Dimitri wrote:
strafe wrote:This is the wrong forum for car care advice! A significant contingent thinks rain cleans their cars rather than being the source of dirt. (Maybe true in the desert)

You are probably right. I live out here in the desert (Las Vegas). Cars get washed when they go in for service/maintenance at the dealership. Otherwise don't really care. If I owned a Lamborghini I might care. With two Toyotas - they aren't going to be worth any more or any less if I wash them or don't wash them. They are transportation.
I don't care if my car is spotless or stunningly beautiful. I just want it to last, and aside from looking good, the paint is really there to protect the car. So I do prefer the Boglehead response on this one, as my car enthusiast friends think I should be cleaning by hand, in 0 degree weather even.
SleepKing

Post by SleepKing »

Perhaps this is helpful:
http://www.dmv.org/how-to-guides/road-salt.php

Personally, i have lived in cold climate with salt and 5 season snow my whole life. Never regularly cleaned the underside....will just get resalted a few days later. Never had rust problems on our vehicles that we were told of.
Jughead

Post by Jughead »

I tend to use the self service bay in the winter but my pops has always had a hot water line hooked up to his hose to combat this problem. In the winter he opens the hot water line and gets warm water in the hose to wash the car...it's a thing of beauty.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I use the touchless washes. I have two nearby that do a decent job removing salt. I wash my car at one of these weekly. Try different ones. I also go to a full service car wash about once a month. It's expensive but it's part of the cost of living in a cold climate.
motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool »

onourway wrote:We do not garage our cars. Garages, especially heated garages, keep the salt active because it remains above freezing.
Bingo! A carport is a good approach; you don't have to scrape, and your car doesn't go through constant freeze-thaw cycles.

I consider a car wash in winter to have a clean car to be a waste of time / money and a good way to wind up with your doors/ locks frozen shut. Having said that, a self serve car wash bay is an ideal place to remove impacted snow and ice from your wheels and wheel wells. Otherwise, I focus on keeping the windshield and head / tail lights clean. Then get it detailed in the spring.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

If it's over 40 degrees I do it myself with warm water in the driveway.
I've found the "touchless" washes do little and leave a film on the car.
I would never use an automatic car wash that touches the car....clearcoat scratch and swirl mark city.
We have a place locally where you pull in and actual humans with sponges and towels clean the car. I go there in the winter otherwise. Maybe google "hand car wash" in your area.

If I ever built a house I would have a floor drain installed in the garage, with a sink that had both hot and cold water that I could attach a hose to, so I could hand wash my cars inside during the winter.

We have the self-service wash bays around here but most of them prohibit "bucket washing", and just spraying the car does little unless you are just trying to get caked-on mud off or something.
carguyny

Post by carguyny »

There are waterless washes that are pretty good as an option, but for an everyday car we just park them outside in the dirveway. Snow is great at cleaning them.

If it's above 40F for a few days I have a great product called Avalanche by Auto Finesse that you use with a pressure washer/foam cannon to spray on the car, leave it on for a few minutes and then spray it off. No where near as effective as a proper wash, but for a 10 minute job it looks pretty good. Obviously there is a pretty significant investment in going this way, but if you have a good pressure washer already it is probably $50 to $80 for a good foam Cannon.
blgaarder

Post by blgaarder »

Touchless washes are sort of OK for the sides and front, but seem to not do much at the rear, especially on a sport-wagon type.

I will often pre-rinse the areas that are left, so that they get a decent cleaning.

Same for windows, clean before the automatic wash.
telemark

Post by telemark »

I grew up in a climate where only snobs washed their cars. Then I moved to a location with real winters and my car promptly rusted out. Now I use a two-stage process: as soon as the streets are reasonably dry I hose off the undercarriage and the worst of the grime at a self-service wash, so the salt doesn't build up. Then, if the forecast calls for clear weather for a least a few days, I run it through a touchless automatic wash.

The "quarter car washes" generally take credit cards now, which is a great convenience.
edge

Post by edge »

I have a heated 1100 sq ft garage with drains. Another option is ONR (optimum no rinse) or equivalent. But I normally just take it to a detailer who knows what they are doing.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

Unless you're rinsing off the undercarriage I don't see the point of washing in the winter, the body has paint and a clear coat. If you have chips in your paint then touch them up.

I use the quarter wash and focus on the wheel wheels and undercarriage.
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Try a different car wash (if available). A "touchless" wash will never do as good as a cloth "touched" car wash. At home, you can spray your hose on your car all day. Then wipe your hand across it and it will be covered with the road grime.

But, "touchless" is better than not washing and is usually cheaper. We have a very good cloth car wash that we use. It is $10 (exterior only) but worth every penny. It is staffed, so your car is wiped down after the wash. Not perfect, but better than not wiping down. There is another full service version some miles away that will do the interior and exterior for $16.

In the rust belt, if it is cold/below freezing I let my car go for a few weeks. If we get a nice day or the streets are relatively clear I'll run it through the wash. Just to get the salt off a few times in the long winter. In the summer I hand wash unless I'm in a hurry.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic »

I use the little sponge/squeegee thing at the gas pump.