Can they do better on the price of the car?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
affarram

Can they do better on the price of the car?

Post by affarram » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:38 am

I found a 2017 Toyota Camry XLE that I liked and I pretty easily and quickly (less than 20 min) talked the dealer down from the MSRP $27,882 to the Manufacturer Invoice Price of $25,676.26 and then I got them to take off the Hold Back amount as well bringing the offer down to $25,081.26. The dealer said that this is as low as they could go but being as it was so easy to get them to that number i chose not to believe them and walked away from the deal. They said that they were only making $100 on the deal and I can't believe that for one second. After applying the Rebate to the deal I will end up paying 23081.26. Do you think I could get them lower or just accept the deal that is on the table? Any thoughts and/or suggestions?

billfromct

Re: Can they do better on the price of the car?

Post by billfromct » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:00 am

What is the "out the door" price compared to the the bare price of the car?

The dealer will add a lot of extraneous charges (documentation fee, dealer prep, advertising fee, etc.) to the car cost to get to the final "out the door" price.

When I shop for a new car I get several "out the door" price quotes & have each quote list each individual cost as it will be listed on the final bill of sale. The "out the door" price is the price to start negotiations.

Make sure the dealer understands that you are getting several quotes for the same model as well as competing brands; Camry vs Accord/Sonata/etc.

I normally get quotes on the base model with the only option being floor mats. The more options requested, the more places for the dealer to hide costs.

bill

sport

Post by sport » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:40 am

If the only addition to that price is sales tax, it sounds pretty good. If they start adding other fees and charges, refuse them and tell them you expect them to honor the quote as given.

techrover

Post by techrover » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:31 am

One way is to call few other dealers in the area and ask if they are willing to beat this price. Ensure you are comparing apples to apples with this other dealer(i.e. OTD price with different components). This will tell you if its best price. You will be surprised to learn that there are many other factors for dealers motivating them to offer incentives at different times (like they are sitting on old inventory or they are trying to make their quarterly targets etc.). I found this process helpful in my last car purchase and was able to get to 20% below MSRP at dec end - http://www.realcartips.com/guide/newcars.shtml.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:37 am

You can get more than $5000 off MSRP on an Accord. I suppose Camry is similar, so I think you have about $500-1000 more to go before you hit bottom. With the $2500 rebate, they're still making good money! $100 profit for them would be invoice - holdback - $2500!

https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/4 ... experience

If you can wait, I think the glut of sedans will continue to increase. Wait for news of reduced production to buy.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/gm-cut-p ... y-surplus/
http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/f ... /92401392/

Also, don't forget the 2017 design is long in the tooth, and let the dealer know that. How do you like the new 2018?

dbltrbl

Post by dbltrbl » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:30 am

Do you like the car and options? If so, it is a good price. Look at KBB for same car and options. If you are getting hold-backs it is decent. AS OP have said make sure what other costs are. I have seen document fees of $ 40.00 to $ 750.00. Sales tax will depend on your residency. Depending on where you are you may not get the same price as somewhere else in the country. Look at overall picture, if you keep the car for 10 years, even if you paid $ 250.00 more, thats $ 25.00 /year more. Do not sweat last 100-500.00 on a purchase of 25000.00.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:16 pm

Toyota car sales down 17%!

Toyota January US sales down 11.3%
http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000589500&play=1
Toyota's average incentives per vehicle were only $2,538 in January, according to ALG's TrueCar, compared to $4,335 for Nissan.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/car ... /97331246/

Car sales weak all around, so expect more deals and discounting. SUV sales seem to be holding up.

Just noticed you have them at $2k rebate, while I've seen $2.5k elsewhere. I wouldn't be surprised at a $3k or even $3.5k rebate soon. They may already have hidden rebates for the dealers.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:29 pm

Carsdirect.com is quoting $23,793 for the XLE. Considering that carsdirect gets a cut of that, your price of a little over $23k seems pretty good. The only way to know for sure is to shop that price with other dealers and see who can beat it.

orca91

Post by orca91 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:47 pm

affarram wrote:I found a 2017 Toyota Camry XLE that I liked
Then buy it. :happy

My personal feeling is, if I like a car I will buy it at a price I think is fair rather than haggle down to the last dollar or get dealership to try and battle over the price. Just me though...

jane1

Post by jane1 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:07 pm

+1 on negotiating OTD price. Not just base price.
There are so many weird "mandatory" hidden charges that a dealer can add on. Like a "protection package", extra fees they claim are mandatory (mandated by the dealership!). If you are planning to finance there may be other fees they may add on.
You want to make sure you know the OTD price you are getting or the down/monthly payment.
Your base price + state sales tax on car + a few hundred dollars for registration, license fee, etc is okay. Anything more means that is part of their profit and negotiable.

If you are a Costco member, ask for Costco price sheet. You can probably go a few % lower than that. Edmunds, Truecar can also give you a rough idea although I have found that you can actually go a few % lower.

ubermax

Post by ubermax » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:22 pm

To answer your posted question , you'll never know unless you start playing poker with them and then you get into a nickel/dime type thing - do the research , get reasonably comfortable , and then just pull the trigger ! bam it's done :happy

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:43 pm

To do this correctly, you'd have done all your homework and initial rounds of offers online without stepping foot into a dealership. Then you go with a firm price in hand. You could go into another dealer and say "I was all ready to buy this car but they were ripping me off at $21,500. What can you do?". I've done that thinking there's no way they'll come close, and they come back and say "ok".
'
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:46 pm

I'm not sure what you expect from the dealer. They surely won't give you the best possible price simply because you ask. Make your offer.

Abe

Post by Abe » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:55 pm

I just bought a 2017 Camry. The MSRP price was $24,500. I bought it for $20,000 out the door. I got $4,500 off MSRP which included a $2,500 factory rebate.

Edited to add: I may have been able to do a little better if I did the email several dealers thing, but I didn't want to go through all that. It was what my wife wanted and sounded good enough, so I did it.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Loik098

Post by Loik098 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:22 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:To do this correctly, you'd have done all your homework and initial rounds of offers online without stepping foot into a dealership. Then you go with a firm price in hand.
'
+1. Step #1 of your homework should be to read this: viewtopic.php?t=124638