Fire extinguishers

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Bobo

Fire extinguishers

Post by Bobo »

How many people have fire extinguishers? I just ordered a used laptop on Ebay and, even if it was new, you never know. I'm seriously thinking of getting a fire extinguisher, and I have to decide where to put it and the laptop.
Last edited by Bobo on Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bottlecap

Re: Fire extinguishers

Post by bottlecap »

I don't have a fire extinguisher for my laptop, but I do have a small one under the kitchen sink. Will probably never use it, but who knows. It's probably time for a new one, actually.

JT
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

I have one in the kitchen as well as the LR near the fireplace. Never have seen a laptop go up in flames, though. Worse case scenario is having the battery shorted against metal.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

We have 4 or 5 strategically placed throughout the house - bedroom, kitchen, garage, etc.
Timoneer

Post by Timoneer »

Two in the kitchen. One is a rather small wall mounted unit that could be useful for a small stove top fire, the other a regular size unit for something more serious.

A larger extinguisher is at the top of the basement stairs, easily grabbed for use in either the basement or first floor.
Traveller

Post by Traveller »

Kitchen, garage, basement workshop. :beer
Globalviewer58

Post by Globalviewer58 »

One in the kitchen as it gets kind of wild in there from time to time.
newbie_Mo

Post by newbie_Mo »

One in kitchen.
NCPE

Post by NCPE »

Multiple extinguishers through out the house and garage, plus one in each vehicle.

Friendly public safety reminder - If you have the dry powder type extinguishers remember to check the gauge and to flip them upside down a few times to keep the powder from settling in them when you check your Smoke Detectors in the spring and fall.
Last edited by NCPE on Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
just frank

Post by just frank »

A small one in kitchen, a larger one in a central, easy to access location.
PA86

Post by PA86 »

One on every level of the house.

Everyone should have smoke/CO alarms and fire extinguishers.
rob

Post by rob »

Maybe 4-5 in various places around the house... the one is the kitchen is designed for fat fires while the others are general purpose.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
wilked

Post by wilked »

one per floor (so 4)

Kitchen, top of basement stairs, 2nd floor linen closet, and 3rd floor hallway

Hopefully never need it, but I sure won't sweat the $20/exchanger if that time does come
mesaverde

Post by mesaverde »

Just today I bought a fire extinguisher to keep at a rental property that has a gas stove.
Imagine what can be prevented just by having a $20 fire extinguisher on hand.
I've heard stories.... for example, someone cooking bacon and getting distracted... then the grease catching fire.
"Learn from the past, live in the present, plan for the future"
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

One in the laundry room downstairs. If there's ever a fire, hope I'm home, and hope I don't forget the key to the laundry room. -- Tet
6miths

Post by 6miths »

Kitchen, garage, workshop...
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain
Carson

Post by Carson »

Kitchen and mechanic's garage

We did use ours, when doing some soldering in a linen closet that couldn't be avoided. Incredibly scary!

For your laptop, don't leave it running on soft surfaces. Make sure the vents are kept clear and dust free. Use a laptop desk.

When I used my laptop in bed, I would close it and flip it upside down so that the vents were on top.
40-yo grateful to be learning here
mancich

Post by mancich »

Nate79 wrote:We have 4 or 5 strategically placed throughout the house - bedroom, kitchen, garage, etc.
+1. Very smart and no downside. They're inexpensive, and this simple strategy could just save your life :beer
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

Besides one in my kitchen, I bought one for my truck. I watched a video on the news of a car on fire. Someone had a fire extinguisher and was able to put out the fire and save a person's life. That is worth the price of a fire extinguisher.
Best Wishes, | Joe
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

We have two fire extinguishers in the kitchen by the kitchen outside door. The nudge is to get one at the door and ready to get out of the house in the event of a fire. I don't want anybody trapped on the wrong side of a fire and an exit. Plus one sees them multiple times every single day since they are not hidden.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
mrc

Post by mrc »

One on every level, along route of egress. Big one in the garage/shop. We are 12 minutes from a firehouse.

Good tip about turning up-side down. I just realized these things are 18 years old. Gauges all green -- but what if I squeeze the trigger and nothing happens? :?: As I understand it, you can't test these, because any discharge means replacing.
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

We have three fire extinguishers; four if you count the one in the van.

They are in the kitchen, my bedroom, and in the garage. All accessible by me, whilst in my wheelchair.

My biggest fear is fire. All my doors to the outside have ramps, so I can escape thru three different exits.

Don't even ask how many smoke alarms I have! :shock:

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

mrc wrote:One on every level, along route of egress. Big one in the garage/shop. We are 12 minutes from a firehouse.

Good tip about turning up-side down. I just realized these things are 18 years old. Gauges all green -- but what if I squeeze the trigger and nothing happens? :?: As I understand it, you can't test these, because any discharge means replacing.
One the ones that I own, there is a button on the top that one presses to test the fire extinguisher.
Best Wishes, | Joe
RetiringSomeday

Post by RetiringSomeday »

This has encouraged me to up my game.

At work we have a service that comes on and certifies all of them yearly.

Is that reasonable or necessary at home. Said another way - where do y'all get them and how do you check/maintain/replace them?
canderson

Post by canderson »

Ours are very old and probably due updating.

Any advice on which to buy? Should a kitchen one be different than one in a bedroom? I'm totally lost on fire suppression.
PA86

Post by PA86 »

canderson wrote:Ours are very old and probably due updating.

Any advice on which to buy? Should a kitchen one be different than one in a bedroom? I'm totally lost on fire suppression.
Go with an ABC rated extinguisher, it is good for all fire types.

Bigger is better so long as all the people in the home are still able to use it.

PASS...
Pull the pin.
Aim at the base of the fire.
Squeeze the handle.
Sweep back and forth.
Bengineer

Post by Bengineer »

We started off with a laptop. Something to think about is the type of extinguisher.

The common ABC dry chemical fire extinguisher often contains monoammonium phosphate. "Due to the corrosive properties of ABC Dry chemical, it is not recommended for use around aircraft or sensitive equipment." Not so good for electrical / electronic equipment, auto electronics and so forth.

The sodium bicarbonate typically in BC auto/marine/kitchen extinguishers is less corrosive, but doesn't help you much with wood/paper/upholstery.

CO2 would be a good choice for electronics, but they're not cheap.

I keep an ABC in the house and garage, BC in the car and kitchen.
PhysicsTeacher

Post by PhysicsTeacher »

We have one ABC extinguisher upstairs and one downstairs, plus a BC extinguisher in the kitchen. We also have a mix of ionization and photoelectric type smoke detectors throughout our townhouse. It's relatively cheap for the peace of mind.
Bob B

Post by Bob B »

I see many people in this thread locating their extinguisher near where they think they may need it (kitchen, next to fireplace, etc.) Bad idea. You want to locate the extinguisher NEAR, not AT, the potential point of use. I keep one inside the basement door which is fairly central to the rest of the house.) If your stove or fireplace is blazing you don't want to have to go near it to retrieve an extinguisher.

And, call 911 before you try to fight it yourself. Or better yet, just get out of the house and call 911. Don't become a victim. Fire can become overwhelming very quickly. I speak this as a former firefighter.
Regards, | Bob | Wiki
SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP »

One in the pantry, adjacent to the kitchen, and one in the garage.

-Steph
dm200

Post by dm200 »

If you get or have fire extinguishers:

1. Make sure you (and others in the household) know how to use them, as well as when not to. Misuse can make things worse.
2. Make sure to check (or have them checked) regularly
3. Know when (probably most of the time) to FIRST call 911 for a fire before trying to put it out yourself.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

I have at least 5 of them in the house. Kitchen, basement stairwell, home office, bedroom, and garage. A small one in each car as well. It would be foolish to not have at least one in any home.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Bobo wrote:How many people have fire extinguishers? I just ordered a used laptop on Ebay and, even if it was new, you never know. I'm seriously thinking of getting a fire extinguisher, and I have to decide where to put it and the laptop.
A fire extinguisher won't stop a laptop battery from going off but i suppose if you coat the surrounding area with enough of whatever comes out of a fire extinguisher that might do enough. The best bet is to get it out of the house if its possible to do so.
boomstick

Post by boomstick »

I bought a fire extinguisher almost 10 years ago and it has followed me around the states in the various apartments I have lived. It just so happened that I now keep it under my kitchen sink.

About two weeks ago, my girlfriend was making something in the oven when she started to scream "ITS ON FIRE!!!". I ran in and saw a wall of flames shooting out of the oven. I immediately told her to shut the oven door and start opening the windows to get rid of the smoke. And take the dog in the other room.

I figured shutting the oven door would quickly put the fire out due to oxygen depletion, but it didn't. Every time I opened the door the flames went up and more smoke poured out. So that old fire extinguisher came in handy. I've seen the mess they create so I wasn't happy about using it, but one quick 1/4 second blast was all it took.No more fire.

Now the cleanup was a whole different story...
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

boomstick wrote:I bought a fire extinguisher almost 10 years ago and it has followed me around the states in the various apartments I have lived. It just so happened that I now keep it under my kitchen sink.

About two weeks ago, my girlfriend was making something in the oven when she started to scream "ITS ON FIRE!!!". I ran in and saw a wall of flames shooting out of the oven. I immediately told her to shut the oven door and start opening the windows to get rid of the smoke. And take the dog in the other room.

I figured shutting the oven door would quickly put the fire out due to oxygen depletion, but it didn't. Every time I opened the door the flames went up and more smoke poured out. So that old fire extinguisher came in handy. I've seen the mess they create so I wasn't happy about using it, but one quick 1/4 second blast was all it took.No more fire.

Now the cleanup was a whole different story...
What caused the fire? Grease buildup? Oven malfunction? Or just the food catching?
dm200

Post by dm200 »

About two weeks ago, my girlfriend was making something in the oven when she started to scream "ITS ON FIRE!!!". I ran in and saw a wall of flames shooting out of the oven. I immediately told her to shut the oven door and start opening the windows to get rid of the smoke. And take the dog in the other room
Perhaps some "cooking lessons" (with an emphasis on oven safety) might be wise - especially on possible differences in the various types of gas and electric stoves.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Bob B wrote:I see many people in this thread locating their extinguisher near where they think they may need it (kitchen, next to fireplace, etc.) Bad idea. You want to locate the extinguisher NEAR, not AT, the potential point of use. I keep one inside the basement door which is fairly central to the rest of the house.) If your stove or fireplace is blazing you don't want to have to go near it to retrieve an extinguisher.

And, call 911 before you try to fight it yourself. Or better yet, just get out of the house and call 911. Don't become a victim. Fire can become overwhelming very quickly. I speak this as a former firefighter.
+1 - Fire extinguishers for home/office use have a maximum time use of 15 seconds before it discharges all of its contents. No one is going to put a fire of any decent size out with the extinguisher. Leave that job to the professionals, CO and smoke inhalation can overcome you quickly and you won't even realize it. Don't screw around, your job is to get out, everything else can be replaced, your life can not.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
boomstick

Post by boomstick »

barnaclebob wrote:
What caused the fire? Grease buildup? Oven malfunction? Or just the food catching?
She was using the broiler. I think it was a combination of being in there too long + the food being too close to the heat up top. Simple things that shouldn't have happened.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

tim1999 wrote:I have at least 5 of them in the house. Kitchen, basement stairwell, home office, bedroom, and garage. A small one in each car as well. It would be foolish to not have at least one in any home.
It's required in my town for each home sold to have one in an accessible place away from the kitchen. Kitchen is usually #1 place for house fire to start. Extinguishers should be rated A-B-C, do not use an A rated extinguisher on a grease or electrical fire.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
boomstick

Post by boomstick »

dm200 wrote:Perhaps some "cooking lessons" (with an emphasis on oven safety) might be wise - especially on possible differences in the various types of gas and electric stoves.
I couldn't agree more. I haven't let her in my kitchen since.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

boomstick wrote:
dm200 wrote:Perhaps some "cooking lessons" (with an emphasis on oven safety) might be wise - especially on possible differences in the various types of gas and electric stoves.
That could be by (her) design. :wink:
johnmattis

Post by johnmattis »

Fire extinguishers are like insurance. You hope to never use one, but if you have to, you want it to work. Pay a little extra and get a professional-grade extinguisher, brands like Amerex, Ansul, Buckeye, or Badger. I would avoid Kidde or First Alert, especially their economy lines.

Look for ABC, not just BC (they use different chemicals). It should have a metal nozzle, not plastic, and a metal handle. Extinguishers with plastic nozzles cannot be refilled and are more likely to leak as they age. Buy one with a handle that everyone in the house can operate; some handles won’t work for small hands.

A good size is 5 lb. That’s light enough to grab and carry, and will operate long enough for you to make a mistake using it and recover. A 2.5 lb extinguisher won’t throw as far and will run out too quickly. Expect to pay $40 to $50. Look for metal parts, not plastic.

It will probably have a hose. The hose makes it easier to use correctly and especially easier to use if you’re having trouble with the weight.

John
dm200

Post by dm200 »

boomstick wrote:
NEVER leave the kitchen with the broiler (whether gas or electric) on.
mrc

Post by mrc »

dm200 wrote:
boomstick wrote:
NEVER leave the kitchen with the broiler (whether gas or electric) on.
That is the truth! Great aunt did this (on a stove where the knobs were admittedly confusing). Fire department said that stove is a problem for everyone.
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
stupidkid

Post by stupidkid »

I had a house fire a few years back, possibly caused by a laptop. I had a fire extinguisher but when i returned home and it was on fire, I couldn't remember where I had put it (it was stuffed in a cabinet). I now have multiple fire extinguishers and they're all over the house in obvious places.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

For automotive use, I recommend spending a bit more (~$120) and getting a Halon fire extinguisher (often marketed as Hal-guard). It's what race cars and aircraft use in their fire suppression systems. The reason is that it will not leave residue or cause thermal shock to electronics like an ABC or BC fire extinguisher will.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

alfaspider wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:42 am For automotive use, I recommend spending a bit more (~$120) and getting a Halon fire extinguisher (often marketed as Hal-guard). It's what race cars and aircraft use in their fire suppression systems. The reason is that it will not leave residue or cause thermal shock to electronics like an ABC or BC fire extinguisher will.
Are they safe to use indoors. I think Halon is not good to inhale. I was told to get out of the computer room if fire alarm goes off in 10 seconds as the room would fill with halon.

Never mind. It is an ingredient that hurts the ozone .
Last edited by Dottie57 on Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
jpelder

Post by jpelder »

Dottie57 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:24 am
alfaspider wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:42 am For automotive use, I recommend spending a bit more (~$120) and getting a Halon fire extinguisher (often marketed as Hal-guard). It's what race cars and aircraft use in their fire suppression systems. The reason is that it will not leave residue or cause thermal shock to electronics like an ABC or BC fire extinguisher will.
Are they safe to use indoors. I think Halon is not good to inhale. I was told to get out of the computer room if fire alarm goes off in 10 seconds as the room would fill with halon.
Halon is less toxic at active concentrations than CO2, but it causes giddiness and impairment, so it's best to not be around fire and halon for one's own safety.

Of course, for putting out a car fire, you'll be outside, so there shouldn't be too much chance of excessive exposure. Halon fire extinguishers are enormously expensive, though, compared to standard BC ones.
jpelder

Post by jpelder »

I have two ABC extinguishers in my house, one in the kitchen (not very close to the stove) and one in a linen closet that is central to the bedrooms.

We also have BC fire extinguishers in each vehicle. Never had to use them, but my parents have once or twice put out fires in other people's cars.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

jpelder wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:38 am I have two ABC extinguishers in my house, one in the kitchen (not very close to the stove) and one in a linen closet that is central to the bedrooms.

We also have BC fire extinguishers in each vehicle. Never had to use them, but my parents have once or twice put out fires in other people's cars.
During the last week I had a cooking accident thatcould have started a fire. Want a fire extinguisher for pantry.