Nissan? (Cars.)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
rgs92

Nissan? (Cars.)

Post by rgs92 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:49 pm

I usually see car questions here answered basically by: get a Honda or Toyota.
Why not Nissan? I sat in a Maxima and found it much more comfortable (more leg-room and a better driving position and better seats) than the Toyotas (even Avalons) or Hondas or even Acuras I tried. And the price is competitive.
So,

1. Have people here been happy with long-term Nissan ownership in all aspects? (OK, not all the way back to Datsun days.)
2. Do they hold up for 100K miles?

So I was just wondering if there is an unofficial Toyota/Honda mafia in the forums here and elsewhere. Thank you.

rob

Re: Nissan? (Cars.)

Post by rob » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:58 pm

There is certainly preferred brand here.... waiting for the Subaru crowd soon.......

I've had a couple over the years and they have been fine.... I had more issues with them than my Honda's but that could just be sample size.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:59 pm

Thanks Rob. What issues if you don't mind me asking? Thanks in advance.

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:02 pm

I bought a Nissan Versa brand new in 2009. In true Boglehead fashion, it is the cheapest car sold in America. I love it. I just reached 100K and it still drives like it's new. No issues with it other than normal wear and tear from New York driving. It's the first Nissan I owned and it certainly will not be my last. In fact, when I'm ready, I will buy another Versa, it is very roomy inside for a subcompact and fits my needs just fine. Never felt the need to drive a status car to impress people I probably wouldn't like anyway.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

btenny

Post by btenny » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:04 pm

I have owned two Nissans decades ago, a 240Z (actually a Datsun) and a Sentra. Both were great cars and went way over 100K miles. We moved on to bigger cars after those two. Now my niece drives a Infiniti SUV and loves it. She has over 150K miles and it runs like a top. She is very happy with the car. My son also drove Nissan small pickup (?? model) for 8 years or so. He loved the truck and its features. He could haul stuff easily for work. It got great MPG. It never broke down or needed repairs. He drove it for over 160K miles. He got a Honda SUV when he got kids.

Good Luck.

badger42

Post by badger42 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:05 pm

I've rented quite a few Nissans. They always struck me as "okay but not great".

The ergonomics and handling are noticeably worse than a Subaru or Mazda. The overall refinement was a bit below Toyota and Honda.

I would consider one as a used car (fast depreciation, used rentals are very readily available) but if buying new, would rather have something else.

rob

Post by rob » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:07 pm

rgs92 wrote:Thanks Rob. What issues if you don't mind me asking? Thanks in advance.
This sounds worse than it is because they were not unreliable - just not as bullet proof as my Hondas.... Several gearbox related issues - one had to get a new gearbox. One was a broken chain in the overhead cam. One was a clutch (it was stick) and they never got it right after several goes.... one reason I swapped brands because they even the Nissan rep that looked at it was not prepared to really address the issue.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

renter

Post by renter » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:10 pm

Had a nissan. Bought it vs a honda because it was a lot cheaper. I didnt fully appreciate the honda until driving the nissan. Nissan engine frumpy and loud, door handle awkward, cup holder awkward. Longer turning radius. Had some issue with the left turning indicator where it would blink twice as fast as the right but would be half as bright as the right. It never left me stranded but any longer trip I never trusted it and would drive my other car instead. Would never buy one again over a honda.
Last edited by renter on Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:10 pm

I have three Nissans at the moment. I've found them to be somewhat better value than the Honda/Toyota options, at least in my area. I mostly buy new, and figure to keep until 150K miles or so. Mine have been very low maintenance. I'm not tied to the brand, but I always check out their offerings when I am shopping for a new car, and the last three times they came out on top for various reasons.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:16 pm

I have owned four Nissans (including a Datsun pickup) and one Infiniti since 1980. The only two that I have owned that I didn't put >200,000 miles on myself were a 280Z (also a Datsun) that I bought used that had been beat to hell already and my current Nissan that I bought new in 2014. Except for the previously mentioned Z, all were purchased new. I had no issues with any of mine that would scare me away from the manufacturer.

My wife bought a new 2007 Altima that she put >200,000 miles on and beat to death with practically no preventive maintenance :oops:
She had repeated issues late in its life with coil packs but nothing else major or unexpected--pretty good, considering the abuse it took. She sold it last year and replaced it with a Subaru Outback. She loved her Altima, and the only reason she didn't even consider a Nissan was she didn't like their SUV line at all.
Last edited by Doom&Gloom on Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:18 pm

Wife loved her 2000 Nissan Sentra. Very dependable even after 16 years - 200K miles. Got hit from behind and had to buy another car and bought a Mazda 3(i) and said she now wishes she would have purchased another Sentra.

I had a 2000 Nissan Altima for 16 years - 130K miles. The only reason I sold it was a mechanic caused a leaky transaxle plug - long story. I sold it on Craigslist to the very quick first caller and he bought it without even driving it. I would have bought another Altima but decided a Honda Fit EX would do.
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:20 pm

Thanks everyone for the quick responses. Ha Ha, I knew people here would bring up Datsuns. Love all the answers. Thanks again.
[Last Datsun: March 1986, according to Wikipedia.]

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:27 pm

stemikger wrote:I bought a Nissan Versa brand new in 2009. In true Boglehead fashion, it is the cheapest car sold in America. I love it. I just reached 100K and it still drives like it's new. No issues with it other than normal wear and tear from New York driving. It's the first Nissan I owned and it certainly will not be my last. In fact, when I'm ready, I will buy another Versa, it is very roomy inside for a subcompact and fits my needs just fine. Never felt the need to drive a status car to impress people I probably wouldn't like anyway.
This has been my brother's experience. He loves his little versa sedan and zero issues after ~100k miles. Only thing that bugs him a little is excessive wind noise. I've tried to talk my wife into getting one for our next car (which we'll be buying in the next few months), it would fit our needs, but she wants (and deserves) something a little more upscale and she loves VW jettas, which are quite a bit nicer for not that much more (for the time being). We'll see about reliability on the VW.

FWIW, my last vehicle was a '97 Nissan pickup that I bought used for $2500. Drove it for 9yrs and well over 100k miles more and never had a single issue. I'd probably still be driving it hadn't been totaled in a hit-and-run accident.

pochax

Post by pochax » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:28 pm

Nissan is considered mediocre in reliability and quality ratings from Consumer Reports and relative to other Asian brands, which tend to be better, makes it look even worse.

jerkstore

Post by jerkstore » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:38 pm

I've had the sentra, altima, xterra, and currently maxima. Never an issue. 100k+ miles on two of them, but the maxima only has 18k at the moment.

I did have a toyota with issues, but the MFG bought it back from me at 1.5X book value. So, i've since bought another toyota and have had no issues in the first 6yrs. I'd buy a honda, it's just that i get better value from nissan and toyota.

Drewman

Post by Drewman » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:43 pm

I had a 2000 inifinti g20t (nissan sentra with leather and heated seats) and drove it to 275k with minimal issues. I gave it away and the young man still drives it - but leaky head gasket.
I then purchased a 2006 infiniti g35x. The car was fine but it was not what I wanted. I preferred the ease of oil changes, brakes, and spark plugs on the little 2.0 liter 4 cyclinder G20t.

I now drive a corolla hatcback as I wanted 4 cyclinder but the space of hatchback for hauling.

I think it is more about upkeep and luck of the draw. My family is primarily toyota/honda now but we tend to be leaning towards toyota recently as we have had some issues with a honda pilot and honda odyssey and minimal with the sienna.

I will never but AWD or 4WD in ohio. it's flat. FWD with snow tires has done my corolla hatchback well and better MPG and less parts to break.

my 2 cents :)

uclalien

Post by uclalien » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:48 pm

I was looking at certified pre-owned Altimas recently and decided against it because Consumer Reports showed a considerable drop in their reliability ratings in 2014. I don't know if these issues carried over to Nissan's other models, but it's something you should check out.

ClaycordJCA

Post by ClaycordJCA » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:48 pm

Had a Leaf. Range was not as advertised. :annoyed More concerning to me were the safety ratings, which came out after I leased the car (lease due to new technology). I'd check the safety ratings of whatever Nissan models you are interested in before buying.

TSquare

Post by TSquare » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:50 pm

My only experience with nissan was my ex-wife's 2008 sentra. I would say that it was a decent car, but I did not care for the CVT transmission. Not sure if Nissan still uses them.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:02 pm

The CVTs were a real issue as I understand it. My wife's Altima never had an issue, but that is one problem I would try to avoid if considering a Nissan. Nissan may have remedied the CVT problem--I don't know.

tcassette

Post by tcassette » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:05 pm

flyingbison

Post by flyingbison » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:12 pm

I had a Nissan Maxima from 1999 to 2013, and it was a very good car for me.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:32 pm

Nissan does a good job with performance for a decent price. Not so much with reliability. Also for the enthusiast do it yourselfer, Nissan uses the same parts across the line. We had a 350Z and if the engine ever went, we could pick one up in the junkyard for $500 to $700. A replacement Subaru turbo engine in the same junkyard would run $3000. Nissan used that 3.5L engine in the 350Z, pickups, mini vans, Maxima, and other models. Little, stupid things fail on Nissans. The power seat switches have been used for years and fail often. For manual models, the clutch master cylinder is known to be a weak point and it is extremely difficult to replace (I did it....took the entire winter....in a Subaru Turbo, it's half an hour). The pass side cam sensor often fails but is $20 and in stock at Auto Zone all the time. They depreciate like crazy. A few year old V6 Nissan that matches a 3 series BMW in performance will be half the price of a BMW 3 years old.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:42 pm

Based on experience from relatives, they just don't have the reliability of a Honda or Toyota.

JT

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:48 pm

OP,

I am on my 3rd Nissan Altima. Always buy it new. No problem. I like it. Better value and performance. And more features for the money. Did not experience any reliability problem. At this moment, I have a 2006 Nissan Altima and 2014 Nissan Altima. My 2006 Nissan Altima is about to hit 100K miles. It is about 1K to 2K miles short.

KlangFool

Afty

Post by Afty » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:56 pm

I have two answers for you.

The first is the boring, but better answer: Look at the data. Check Consumer Reports and look at the reliability ratings for the models you're interested in. We can all tell you our anecdotes, but each is just a single data point.

The second is my anecdotes. I grew up in a Nissan family. My parents had 5 different Nissans while I was growing up. A 280Z, a mid-80s King Cab pickup truck, an '87 Maxima, a '91 "Hardbody" pickup truck, and a '95 Maxima. All were pretty reliable. The '87 Maxima made it to 160k miles and the '95 Maxima to 200k. Don't remember the others.

I've owned 3 Nissans, an '93 NX2000, an '02 Altima, and currently an '08 Infiniti G35. The NX and G have had minor problems like a wheel bearing or bad alternator, but nothing serious. The G is at 100k miles and still feels new. I did have a lot of issues with my Altima, mostly related to corrosion from NE weather. I sold the Altima at 70k miles.

I used to like Nissans because they were sportier than the equivalent Honda or Toyota, but admittedly they were/are less refined. They are less sporty these days, and I'm less interested in them. But it doesn't sound like sportiness is what you're looking for.

bluelight

Post by bluelight » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:50 am

My fIrst Nissan was a 1982 Sentra station wagon . Great car that was super reliable and topped 100K +. I sold it in 1990 only because it didn't have factory air.

My current car is my 2002 Pathfinder. I love that car. It has been very reliable and except for a little rust over the rear wheel well, it still looks very good for a 15 year old car. I plan on keeping it as long as it keeps going.

moneywise3

Post by moneywise3 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:00 am

Here are 2 Nissan secrets: bigger cars are noisier than versa/sentra. Their engineers have been trying to solve this for 5+ years. Second, the lowest end Nissan (versa @ 10K?) has same safety features as the highest end maxima (35k?).

StevieG72

Re: Nissan? (Cars.

Post by StevieG72 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:47 am

Nissans are great cars and will last many miles.

I had a 1990 Nissan 4X4 pickup. Only needed basic maintenance items during the 16 yrs I owned it. Thing was basically bulletproof!

Still running strong for a new owner.

If I had a choice, I would pick a Toyota. Current daily driver is a 2016 4Runner.

If you like the Nissan go for it!

Check reliability / specific model issues at carcomplaints.com.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

Ervin

Post by Ervin » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:42 am

rgs92 wrote:I usually see car questions here answered basically by: get a Honda or Toyota.
Why not Nissan? I sat in a Maxima and found it much more comfortable (more leg-room and a better driving position and better seats) than the Toyotas (even Avalons) or Hondas or even Acuras I tried. And the price is competitive.
So,

1. Have people here been happy with long-term Nissan ownership in all aspects? (OK, not all the way back to Datsun days.)

So I was just wondering if there is an unofficial Toyota/Honda mafia in the forums here and elsewhere. Thank you.
Nissans used to be good, but reliability has clearly gone south in the last decade. Just look at Consumer Reports used car recommendations, based on their extensive subscriber database. Most Nissans are not recommended anymore. As far as I remember, the brand is typically less reliable than average.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:05 am

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (cars).
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

John Z

Post by John Z » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:11 am

I used to drive 130 miles rt a day to work (35,000/yr) so I needed a reliable and cost effective vehicle. I could always get new Nissans at lower prices (at times Honda dealers used to add a "fair market value" increase on top of sticker for Hondas so no deal there whatsoever). And I needed a timing chain, not a timing belt needing replacement every 2-3 years like Honda and Toyota had. So I got really good deals from a low overhead dealership:
1971 Datsun
1979 200SX* Discovered this one had a timing belt after 120,000; even service didn't realize it.
1987 200SX
1997 200SX
2007 Sentra
2012 Altima lease
2015 Murano
Wife, 2 sons and daughter also have had mostly Nissan's in their driving lives. They would buy another brand and then come back to Nissans at some point. Wife had a Grand Caravan and that was nothing but trouble. Olds Sporty Alero, one of the best road cars we ever had but repair after repair. Daughter had a Sebring convertable which was total junk.
Vehicle brand opinions are subjective and most people have their favorite manufacturer so not trying to sell anyone on a brand but to illustrate how our family feels about Nissans.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:10 pm

I don't own a Toyhonda right now but I have in the past.

The recommendation has to do with the historical reliability and historical resale values of these cars.

I am not surprised to find that other brands- like Nissan- might be better in some other respects.

sschullo

Post by sschullo » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:27 pm

Bought the Nissan Leaf five years ago. Had one service call that cost $79.00 (brake fluid and cabin filter change, according to manual) and that's it. Have 30,000 miles now.

Recall that 100% electric cars have no filthy oil or filter changes, no smog device checkup (California residents), and no gasoline. Plus, I save time not needing appointments and driving to the dealer for oil changes and stopping at gas stations. Charging is done while I sleep!
When it gets to 60,000 miles, there will no be an expensive tune-up as with most ICE cars. No transmission or radiators either.

Its a solid piece of work, good pickup and speed, easy to maneuver. Nissan made good on replacing the battery because it degraded to about 60% of original. The only downside is that mileage is good for local driving only, about 70 miles max per day.
Public School K-12 Educators: "Ask NOT what your annuity sales person can do for you, ask what you can do to be a Do-It-Yourselfer (DIY)."

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:54 pm

I owned a Stanza (now Altima) and a turbo 300ZX. I was a huge Nissan fanboy for a number of years. They had technology, class leading performance, great interiors, and Japanese reliability.

A few hundred thousand miles was easily doable. The odometers broke and the cars kept going in my case.

The designs went bland to me. The interiors became hard plastic. I had a rental Altima in 2009 and I wasn't impressed. Things could be better now.

stm

Post by stm » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:03 pm

I've had a couple of Nissans - a '94 Maxima and a '99 Maxima. My mid life crisis car that I still have is a 2010 G37S red coupe. I've also had two Honda Accords a Toyota Camry and Toyota/Honda minivans.

No doubt though, that compared to the other brands, their fit and finish isn't as good, doesn't seem to last as long (hard plastics, leather splitting), and they depreciate a lot steeper than the others. But I find the rest really boring to drive comparatively... I've always been attracted to Nissans because I found them more fun to drive. The VQ engine has been a favorite.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:13 pm

Thanks. Great site I did not know about.
And thanks bigtime to everyone for all the comprehensive responses.
I knew I could count on Bogleheads for the most intelligent info.

Again, after nothing but Toyota, I branched out to Mercedes (E-class) and although it performed well, it was one expensive repair after another.
(Usually around $1000 for things like "control arms" or something.)
I also owned an Oldsmobile about 15 years ago and after 5 years it had problems that were unrepairable (like failure to start unpredictably that GM dealers could not solve).

As I said, at the car show, the Camrys, Avalons, and Accords just seemed to squeeze or confine me no matter how I adjusted the drivers seat, and they just seemed a little cheap and plasticky (purely subjective). Even the the top level Accord was this way.

So I was surprised when the Maxima gave me more "breathing room" and I could stretch my long legs more and I was did not feel like I was sitting on the floor. And it felt like it was I was surrounded by better materials and less thin cheap plastic (just subjective). This was the current model (2017 I think).

I hadn't been in a Nissan in years, so I wasn't expecting much, but it turned out well. So it's on my radar definitely.
I can't talk about or judge exterior styling since I'm sort of aesthetically challenged in that department (as long at it doesn't look like an Edsel or Pontiac Aztek of yore).

Thanks again for all the advice.
Last edited by rgs92 on Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CULater

Post by CULater » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:14 pm

I was interested in the Murano until the designers turned it into an origami project. And I used to like Toyotas until someone started slapping those b-ugly grilles on them.
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

nura

Post by nura » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:50 pm

My Nissan '99 Sentra was far more reliable and cheaper to maintain than my Hondas '00 Accord and '08 Civic. The Accord has jerky transmission and needed radiator replacement by 60k mi, while Civic needed 2 set breaks to get to 75k mi.

ScooterBob

Post by ScooterBob » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:28 pm

I've had a few Nissans and still have my 15 year old "Mighty" Sentra. Absolutely love that car. Just put a new battery and had new brakes installed front and rear. She's ready for the year. The Nissans were all great cars. I've had Volkswagens (they can go a long way but will break and they are EXPENSIVE to fix/parts), I've also had Toyotas also great cars - still have a 2014.5 Camry. The Toyotas and Nissans are the same. Run forever.... used to own Fords when I started driving and had two GM products. Might consider a Ford again but NEVER another GM product- ever. When the Sentra finally needs replaced I'll either get another Sentra (probable) or another Toyota. Just don't have the desire to "screw around" with cars anymore.

Bob

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:02 pm

Nissan used to be one of the Big 3 Japanese brands, and I'm still surprised by the number of cars they still sell, so if you only consider sales numbers they still are among the big 3. However, as far as brand awareness, stature and reputation, it's fallen from the top. There was a time when any one of the three would be considered the top brand, but today it's often just between the remaining two. Third place overall is a race that includes Subaru, Mazda and now Hyundai and Kia (which combined almost equal Nissan or Honda). Nissan isn't the most reliable, most powerful, best design, best quality, most modern, safest, or any other measure. It's solid in many things, but just not standing out in any particular one.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2017/01/de ... sults.html

wander

Post by wander » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:42 am

I am currently driving a 97 Nissan truck, 370k miles. People can say all they want, but Nissan is as reliable as any brand (for me).

bstevlin

Post by bstevlin » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:15 am

CULater wrote:I was interested in the Murano until the designers turned it into an origami project. And I used to like Toyotas until someone started slapping those b-ugly grilles on them.
I drove a 2006 Acura MDX for eight years, I bought in 2008 for 24k. I could not come close to that price for a two year old Acura today. I traded it in on a new 2016 Murano SL Last October. The dealer gave me a very good price on the trade. The Murano does not have the interior space of a Honda Pilot or Toyota Highlander, but it has more leg room and the price was 5K to 7k less. It has a lot of safety features I like especially the 360 camera that can be operated at low speeds and backing up. Consumers Report gave the Murano a very good rating and So far I am satisfied. Of all he mid size crossovers the Murano is the closest to a sedan, no off reading with this vehicle.

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:37 am

moneywise3 wrote:Here are 2 Nissan secrets: bigger cars are noisier than versa/sentra. Their engineers have been trying to solve this for 5+ years. Second, the lowest end Nissan (versa @ 10K?) has same safety features as the highest end maxima (35k?).
Toyotas, Subarus, and Hondas are all pretty noisy too though.

I don't like the look of the Versa. I had a Sentra rental and it was pretty meh. But I rode in an Altima and it seemed nice, about 10 years ago.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:17 am

I own two nissan's. A 2001 Pathfinder with 155k which along with 4runners of that era are some of the best SUV's ever made. (yes certain land rovers are too hence "some" of the best). Maintenance can be expensive if you are not a DIY person.

My 2011 Altima has been flawless so far with 80k on it so still young. 2008 to 2010's had major CVT issues and I think the following generation CVT on 2013's and after also had issues which is why Nissan has made a bad name for themselves lately.

The R51 pathfinder variant (2006 to 2011?) also had a serious issue that would kill the transmission at around 80k miles. The radiator would fail in a way that would mix transmission fluid with coolant. My brother owns a 2006 with 130k on it that had to have the radiator replaced for an unrelated reason and it has the potential to last well into 200k miles I believe.

In any case I would probably avoid nissans until they get the CVT issues straightened out.

GuyFromGeorgia

Post by GuyFromGeorgia » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:53 pm

Had a Nissan Murano S for a few years. The seat bracket broke at like 40k miles. It wobbled and leaned back and to the left. Who knows what would have happened if I had gotten in a wreck. While fiddling around I noticed the actuators were installed on the seat for the full 8-position movement - they just weren't wired in. I added my own switches and got them working. The suspension felt very stiff and I ended up trading it in for a softer ride.

dziuniek

Post by dziuniek » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:55 pm

rgs92 wrote:I usually see car questions here answered basically by: get a Honda or Toyota.
So,

1. Depreciation is a new Maxima is like 30% in year one.
2. Rust

Yes, they will hold up to 100k no problem, at least the ones I've seen. They're not bad cars, just not as good as Honda/Toyota.

mw1739

Post by mw1739 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:13 pm

I compared the top of the line Accord, Maxima and Avalon last summer. The Maxima came in last. The interior felt cheap and plasticky. My brother-in-law has a 5 year old or so Maxima that is much more refined, while still sporty. The Avalon and Accord felt much more worth the asking price.

corwin

Post by corwin » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:13 pm

We are on our 2nd Murano. The first one was a 2004. Nissan was still working out the kinks in the model. We had a lot of small problems. Our 2nd Murano is a 2010. We are over 110K miles and still enjoying it.

When we have rented the smaller Nissan sedans we haven't been that impressed but it has been a few years.

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:36 pm

rgs92 wrote: 1. Have people here been happy with long-term Nissan ownership in all aspects? (OK, not all the way back to Datsun days.)

1. yes
2. yes

Since they moved to CVT I stopped considering them. I had a sedan and it is smoothest thing I have ever driven. I wasn't too ecstatic about their SUVs so I went with Honda then (non CVT ones).

There is an unofficial Toyota/Honda mafia on these forums ;-) I am sure some BH is making $$ from marketing those brands :mrgreen: