Input on Apple Watch-Buy or Not?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Jcraz13

Input on Apple Watch-Buy or Not?

Post by Jcraz13 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:58 am

I have a perfectly fine nice Casio watch I wear for everyday use...waterproof, tells great time, barometer, altimeter, etc.

I have been weighing an Apple watch purchase, but I am wondering about a couple thing, would appreciate any input:

1)does the constant buzzing of text notifications , emails ,etc get bothersome? I have an iphone, it seems other than having to notify you to LOOK at your phone, it is limited.I know you can turn this off, but is this worth the feature , as this may be the primary reason I would look at it.

2) Length of battery..recharged daily?

3) Average life span..does one think this expensive watch will be outdated in a few years?

4) Apps..what good apps are there besides weather for the watch, news ,etc.

5 And of course, the ultimate BH question...price...seems steep for something that may be outdated in a few years.

Input is welcome from those who have one and those who chose not to as well!

TravelforFun

Re: Input on Apple Watch-Buy or Not?

Post by TravelforFun » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:10 pm

Jcraz13 wrote:I have a perfectly fine nice Casio watch I wear for everyday use...waterproof, tells great time, barometer, altimeter, etc.

I have been weighing an Apple watch purchase, but I am wondering about a couple thing, would appreciate any input:

1)does the constant buzzing of text notifications , emails ,etc get bothersome? I have an iphone, it seems other than having to notify you to LOOK at your phone, it is limited.I know you can turn this off, but is this worth the feature , as this may be the primary reason I would look at it.

2) Length of battery..recharged daily?

3) Average life span..does one think this expensive watch will be outdated in a few years?

4) Apps..what good apps are there besides weather for the watch, news ,etc.

5 And of course, the ultimate BH question...price...seems steep for something that may be outdated in a few years.

Input is welcome from those who have one and those who chose not to as well!

I have the Apple Series 2 watch with 42mm face and brown leather band and love it. The slight vibrations on the arm are not annoying at all. They are my reminders to stand up after I've been sitting too long, and take long deep breaths every hour. Glancing at the watch to read text messages is convenient as well.

I charge my watch every night.

There are tons of apps, timer, weather, heart rate, various forms of exercise, etc...

Of course my watch will be outdated but I enjoy wearing and using it ever since I got it.

sambb

Post by sambb » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:15 pm

definitely Buy. amazing technology. No doubt about it.

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:18 pm

Jcraz13 wrote:5 And of course, the ultimate BH question...price...seems steep for something that may be outdated in a few years.

The ultimate BH question should be can you afford after saving 25% of your gross income and will you enjoy owning it. I am reasonably sure a great steak at my favorite restaurant will be outdated long before your Apple watch would be but I can afford it and I will certainly enjoy it so to me it would be a very BH purchase. My definition of a good BH is someone who applies the investment principles taught here, lives below their means, saves a significant portion of their monthly income and buys things they can afford and will enjoy.
Run, You Clever Boy!

SleepKing

Post by SleepKing » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:26 pm

We have passed on the watch. Lots of our friends have it, some really like, most are indifferent. We were told if you use it for fitness then give it a go, pretty solid health stuff. Otherwise, mostly redundant tech and apps with iphone. Personally, I enjoy a 'regular' mechanical watch for time and style. I'll leave the tech on my phone. Just not for me.

I can't help but chuckle when my buddy checks his watch, then whips out his phone to complete the task....to each their own!

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:32 pm

My mobile phone is always within easy reach whenever I want to use it plus after having not warn a watch for over a decade I now prefer not having to wear a band on my wrist. FIgure out what your use case is and I think that will help you decide whether to buy it. Since you are just thinking about it now you aren't an early adopter. If you want it for serious fitness/exercise I think you'll find that there are better specialized products. If its music wireless headphones with a phone work fine for me.

I've gone with laptop and phone for years now to help reduce complexity. I'd have no desire to manage updates, apps, and charging of a laptop, tablet, phone, and watch/bracelet. But that's me.

Cruise

Post by Cruise » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:48 pm

I have another brand of watch that is compatible with my Iphone, and I believe that the features are much like the Iwatch:

Notifications: You can configure what buzzes on your wrist. I don't configure emails, but allow reminders, phone and text messages. Really like this function. I can be in the home or office with my phone on a table or in another part of the house, and know who is calling without running to the phone. This is my primary reason for having the watch.

My watch does not offer the ability to answer a phone call and talk with the caller through the watch, but the Iwatch does. It is another great feature if you are in a private setting and your phone is not close by.

Fitness: I like the activity tracking feature. I know it is not 100% valid, but is serves as a good reminder to get my butt off the chair/couch.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:07 pm

SleepKing wrote:We were told if you use it for fitness then give it a go, pretty solid health stuff. Otherwise, mostly redundant tech and apps with iphone. Personally, I enjoy a 'regular' mechanical watch for time and style. I'll leave the tech on my phone. Just not for me.

I love my Apple Watch Series 2 (gold aluminum 42mm), but I agreement with the assessment. If you use it for fitness, it is spectacular. If not, meh.

I used to use, and still have, a dedicated Garmin run/bike/swim watch, but I find myself using the Apple Watch almost exclusively. It is simply more convenient. I wear it all day, so I never have to worry about remembering to charge it or throwing it in my workout bag. I get reasonably accurate HR readings without messing with a chest strap. I get GPS tracking. And best of all, I can leave my phone behind and run with just the watch and wireless earbuds--now the AirPods!--and still listen to music or podcasts--podcasts with a third party app. And I don't have to worry about the rain--no more baggies to carry my phone in while I run. (At this point, I only use my Garmin for high-intensity workouts--tempo runs, interval sessions--where I want more accurate HR tracking. Wrist HR tracking is just not as reliable as a chest strap.)

I also found a weight-training app that I love. I created a workout routine in the app on the phone with exercises in order, desired weight, desired reps, etc. It ends up on the watch and guides me through the routine in order reminding me what I did last time, timing my rests, etc. And it does all that while piping music through my AirPods with my phone in the locker room. And it integrates the workouts into the Health tracking on the Apple Watch and iPhone.

And the overall fitness tracking is good. It automatically counts calories, steps, workouts, etc. and feeds it into the Health app and most third-party tracking apps (like My Fitness Pal).

Battery life on the Series 2 (and even Series 1) is much better than the original model (Series 0?). With normal usage, and a one-hour run with GPS and blue-tooth music, I still usually go to bed with >40% charge left. (The Series 1 has the upgraded processor and therefore better battery life, but does not have the GPS or extra water-proofing. You can swim with the Series 2.)

I like having messages and emails pop up on my watch so that I don't have to pull out my phone most of the time, but if that were the only thing I used the Apple Watch for, it wouldn't be worth it.

Though now that I think about it, I do really like having my next Outlook calendar event on my watch face. I've become so used to that that I'd really miss it.

(And did I say that I *love* my new AirPods! So awesome.)
Last edited by jhfenton on Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:07 pm

Jcraz13 wrote:I have a perfectly fine nice Casio watch I wear for everyday use...waterproof, tells great time, barometer, altimeter, etc.

I have been weighing an Apple watch purchase, but..

What would you do with your Casio?

Jcraz13 wrote:Input is welcome from those who have one and those who chose not to as well!

I don't have one (and don't want one) but I suggest you buy one and if you don't like it, sell it. Problem solved.
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:13 pm

To answer another one of the questions: You can customize which apps' notifications get sent to the Watch. And those that are sent are pretty subtle, just a tap on the wrist. I let every app that I let pop up notifications on my phone go to the Watch. I just limit which apps can pop up notifications to begin with.

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:34 pm

SleepKing wrote:I can't help but chuckle when my buddy checks his watch, then whips out his phone to complete the task....to each their own!

Actually that is one of my main reason for wanting one. I get lots of emails and texts but the vast majority can wait many or are outright useless. It would be great to look at my wrist when in a meeting or out with people and triage the message instead of digging around in my pocket every time my phone goes off. I would wager for every time he made you chuckle there are another 10 times he way able to glance at his wrist and go on without touching his phone and perhaps without you noticing.
Run, You Clever Boy!

5th_Dimension

Post by 5th_Dimension » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:48 pm

Both the spouse and I have Apple Watches and we both have said we would replace them right away if we lost them. Notifications on the wrist are great. I also check the stock market on the watch, answer calls, send texts, respond to texts and emails, and track my activities. I can also play Pong on the watch, although that is more to show off to people :happy

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:49 pm

The Apple Watch is designed to be primarily an iPhone accessory. Do you use an iPhone? If not, the functions are limited.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205547

Ron Scott

Post by Ron Scott » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:22 pm

Imageek2 wrote:Both the spouse and I have Apple Watches and we both have said we would replace them right away if we lost them. Notifications on the wrist are great. I also check the stock market on the watch, answer calls, send texts, respond to texts and emails, and track my activities. I can also play Pong on the watch, although that is more to show off to people :happy

This is exactly the reason I WILL NOT get one.

I have a small but prized collection of mechanical watches and I am positive I'd become as addicted to the Apple watch as I am the iPhone and iPad, and my mechanicals would sit in the box.

Jcraz13

Post by Jcraz13 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:37 pm

Pajamas wrote:The Apple Watch is designed to be primarily an iPhone accessory. Do you use an iPhone? If not, the functions are limited.

Yes I have an IPhone .

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:09 pm

Jcraz13 wrote:
Pajamas wrote:The Apple Watch is designed to be primarily an iPhone accessory. Do you use an iPhone? If not, the functions are limited.

Yes I have an IPhone .

Doesn't everybody? Who knew? Everyone had one on Gallifrey.
Run, You Clever Boy!

aj44

Post by aj44 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:36 pm

Love my Apple watches , I have a series 1 and 2 so no issues with battery life as one is always ready to go.

The series 2 is aluminum with a sport band that I use when I sleep and workout, I have to get up earlier than my wife and I use it as a silent alarm. I also use it to track my workouts.

The series 1 is stainless steel with a Milanese loop that I use at work as it taps my wrist when I have an upcoming meeting and displays the conference room/dial ins. I can also stealth text in boring meetings.

Love that I can get messages on both and setup alerts as I want them. It is definitely a luxury item. I would suggest if you buy one to get the cheapest band, the sport band and then buy anything higher end from a third party, I bought the Milanese loop band for $40 while Apple charges $150.

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:44 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:
SleepKing wrote:I can't help but chuckle when my buddy checks his watch, then whips out his phone to complete the task....to each their own!

Actually that is one of my main reason for wanting one. I get lots of emails and texts but the vast majority can wait many or are outright useless. It would be great to look at my wrist when in a meeting or out with people and triage the message instead of digging around in my pocket every time my phone goes off. I would wager for every time he made you chuckle there are another 10 times he way able to glance at his wrist and go on without touching his phone and perhaps without you noticing.

+1

I like to check mail, messages, alerts on my iWatch too.
If important, I can take action.
If not, I can ignore them and move on.
To each, his/her own.
Don

blueman457

Post by blueman457 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:09 pm

I use my apple watch to preview urgent phone calls or text messages - in my line of work, it's gets tedious pulling out your phone when you work with your hands all day.

I block notifications for email, or other apps I don't use very much.

Battery life: 2 days max if not working out. I charge it nightly. Makes it easier that way if you get used to charging it while you sleep.

Regarding the price: I bought a series 1 last November for half the price of the series 2. Series 2 wasn't worth the price (although affordable) for my purposes.

Dimitri

Post by Dimitri » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:22 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:

Not picking on you TheTimeLord but this is one of my pet peeves. If you are in a meeting (or meal) I think it is common courtesy to give your attention to those you are meeting (or eating) with. And to that end, checking your phone during the meeting (or meal) is nothing short of rude and inconsiderate. Sure, maybe if you are a transplant doctor I might be able to understand. But for most of us there is nothing so pressing that it can't wait 30 minutes or an hour. I've been in meetings where the facilitator requested that everyone put their phone in the middle of the table. Anyone who picked up their phone had to put money in the pot (to be divided equally among those who did not pick up their phone). I would personally have taken it one step farther and requested that everyone check their phone/watch at the door.
Let's never come here again because it would never be as much fun.

atomicrc11

Post by atomicrc11 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:23 pm

I love my Apple Watch. I use it for fitness and while walking get all kids of messages. Even in meetings I can give it a quick glance to see if it is important enough to deal with now or later. You can buy multiple bands if so desired so you can change the look of the watch without having to buy a new watch. I still wear mechanical watches to big presentations and to special events, but this has become my daily wear watch.

I would urge you to get a screen protector. The Apple Watch Sport with aluminum body is a great watch, but the glass can scratch more easily than the stainless steel version which has diamond glass. The difference is the Gorilla Glass on the Sport won't crack on impact as it has some give. The diamond glass on the pricier watch will not scratch very easily, but when it does break it will be more likely to shatter.

Also, check refurbished. It is less price for the same watch and same warranty. I always buy refurb when possible for any Apple product as it is tested so I know it works and has the same warranty. You can still purchase AppleCare if desired as well so that is a bonus. I've done this for other products and it has been a good buy.
http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/s ... pple_watch

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:42 pm

Dimitri wrote:
TheTimeLord wrote:

Not picking on you TheTimeLord but this is one of my pet peeves. If you are in a meeting (or meal) I think it is common courtesy to give your attention to those you are meeting (or eating) with. And to that end, checking your phone during the meeting (or meal) is nothing short of rude and inconsiderate. Sure, maybe if you are a transplant doctor I might be able to understand. But for most of us there is nothing so pressing that it can't wait 30 minutes or an hour. I've been in meetings where the facilitator requested that everyone put their phone in the middle of the table. Anyone who picked up their phone had to put money in the pot (to be divided equally among those who did not pick up their phone). I would personally have taken it one step farther and requested that everyone check their phone/watch at the door.

Fair enough then it is best we do not dine together. Do you ever use the text feature on your phone to let people know you are busy and currently unavailable, great feature.
Run, You Clever Boy!

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:47 pm

Got one for free due to a major shipping delay from Target. They refunded my entire purchase price.

Kept mine for 2 weeks and sold it on eBay. Useless for me. I work out the same amount with/without the watch. I have no need to track my heart rate.

kjvm

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:09 pm

This is completely personal. I like watches, although can't be considered an aficionado.

I think the Apple watches are ugly. Not crazy ugly, but nowhere near the real thing. I'd never consider one based on the nice watches I could get for a similar price. Honestly, I've had more pleasing watches for 1/6 of the price.

In addition, if it doesn't replace my phone, which it won't, it's redundant. Why would I buy one?

But, as I suggested, YMMV.

JT

TXPT

Post by TXPT » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:13 pm

I considered one, but didn't get it. I got a Garmin Fenix 3 HR. I love it. Awesome for workouts and you can get all the phone alerts too if you want.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:39 pm

atomicrc11 wrote:I love my Apple Watch. I use it for fitness and while walking get all kids of messages. Even in meetings I can give it a quick glance to see if it is important enough to deal with now or later. You can buy multiple bands if so desired so you can change the look of the watch without having to buy a new watch. I still wear mechanical watches to big presentations and to special events, but this has become my daily wear watch.

I would urge you to get a screen protector. The Apple Watch Sport with aluminum body is a great watch, but the glass can scratch more easily than the stainless steel version which has diamond glass. The difference is the Gorilla Glass on the Sport won't crack on impact as it has some give. The diamond glass on the pricier watch will not scratch very easily, but when it does break it will be more likely to shatter.

Also, check refurbished. It is less price for the same watch and same warranty. I always buy refurb when possible for any Apple product as it is tested so I know it works and has the same warranty. You can still purchase AppleCare if desired as well so that is a bonus. I've done this for other products and it has been a good buy.
http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/s ... pple_watch

I agree on the refurbished. Apple refurbs are a great deal.

I disagree, though, on the screen protector. I don't see the point. They are incredibly hard to scratch. Neither my Series 0 aluminum, now in the custody of my 14-year-old son, nor my Series 2 have any scratches.

Just to be sure folks are using the same terminology:

"Series 0" (unofficial name) = the original Apple Watch models released in April 2015
Series 2 = the GPS-equipped, completely waterproof, swim-able September 2016 model with updated processor and much improved battery life
Series 1 = the hybrid September 2016 model with the same updated processor and improved battery life, but no GPS, and otherwise the same as "Series 0" (i.e., highly water resistant, but not waterproof)

Series 0 had one-day battery life. Series 2 has two-day battery life if you don't use the GPS/bluetooth. With a one-hour GPS/music workout, I usually go to bed at 40+%, so not quite two days.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:50 pm

TXPT wrote:I considered one, but didn't get it. I got a Garmin Fenix 3 HR. I love it. Awesome for workouts and you can get all the phone alerts too if you want.

I bought a Garmin Fenix 3 HR when they first came out. I wanted to love it, but the GPS was the most inaccurate device I have ever used. It was barely passable running in a straight line a completely open road. Throw a tree in the way or a cloud in the sky, and it would drop tracks. I recorded multiple GPS workouts for Garmin customer support using the Fenix 3 and an older Garmin Forerunner 315xt, and they concluded it was defective and sent me a replacement. The replacement was slightly better, but would still drop 4-5% distance on regular running routes with light tree cover. They eventually told me that it was not primarily a multi-sport device, but was an outdoor enthusiast watch, and that I should stick with Forerunner devices for more accurate GPS measurements. It's quite possible that they have improved the GPS firmware since the early devices, but the Apple Watch made me uninterested in trying again.

The GPS in the Apple Watch Series 2 is every bit as accurate as my Garmin Forerunners (a 315xt and a 910xt).

TXPT

Post by TXPT » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:26 pm

Hmm. Interesting. I use mine in wooded areas often without issue. Maybe the updates have fixed it.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:31 pm

While I have an iPhone, it's a 4S that my former employer let me keep as it was obsolete when I gave notice. I realized that although I had a bunch of watches and inherited another bunch from my dad (10 years ago), I haven't worn one in 10 years so except for a Longines that my dad was given when he was Jaycee national vice president, I ebay'd the rest of them. My phone does all the things I need a phone to do and it has the time on it (why I don't wear a watch).

Now, I do understand that people like new tech stuff. And it has some utility. I would characterize it as a Lotus Elise of watches. It's cooler than other perfectly good solutions. People look at it and take notice. It's reliable and does what you need. But are there better, cheaper, more practical solutions out there? You bet.

If you have no issue buying an Elise, get an iWatch if you want.

(I sold my Elise to help pay my son's college tuition....and all those watches to a much lesser degree)
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

czr

Post by czr » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:37 pm

I consider myself as a tech person and feel like smart watches especially the Iwatch as a pure gimmick. Wait a couple years then decide.

MrsRoos

Post by MrsRoos » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:23 am

Owner of an Apple Watch Series 2, 38 mm with nylon strap. Retails for ~ $400 but received it as a raffle prize win from a recent company event.

The activity rings for making me move more frequently (it's an obsession to complete the rings)
The GPS function so I don't have to take my phone with me when I'm on a walk/run.
Text and call notifications. Speaker and mic is great for phone calls as well.
Music controls while listening to tunes on my bluetooth speaker at home or in the car.
The SOS emergency function that automatically dials 911 for you, sends your GPS location to emergency responders and a text to your emergency contacts.

Dislikes:
Other notifications like mail, etc. I have turned a lot off since I don't like looking at my watch so very often.
Limited amount of apps available - maybe give it a year or two while developers catch up
Unable to view images on mail, other applications.
Maps is slow to load even with phone nearby.

All in all, if it wasn't gifted to me, I wouldn't have wanted to spend $400 on a very expensive digital watch/activity tracker.
“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” - Kenneth Boulding

SittingOnTheFence

Post by SittingOnTheFence » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:03 am

I haven't worn a watch in 2 decades. The time is available everywhere. I am able to guess the time to within 5 min if I have seen a clock in the last 2 hours. I figured this watch is just another tech doo-dad.

Thanks, OP for this query. Lots of good info here.

So now I'm interested in monitoring my pulse & BP. I can understand why it won't do BP. I want it to be wearable in the shower. So that tech doo-dad suddenly becomes more interesting. I'm just not sure if it's worth it just for a record of my pulse. Cannot grasp why I need to know how many step's I've taken. Everything else I've looked at is not waterproof, I was especially interested in the Fitbit but the specs indicate taking a shower with one on is not advisable.

Questions:
Someone mentioned leaving the iPhone behind and listening to podcasts. Does the watch download podcasts or are they streamed from your cell provider and/or wifi? Will a 3rd party BT headset sync to the watch? Can this watch display 24hr time or only am/pm? I'm in my late 60's. Typing on the iPhone is difficult enough, I cannot see how I would be typing on a watchface. Any comments?

JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:27 am

I had what folks here are referring to as the Series 0 near the original launch and returned it in <30 days, just wasn't functional in lots of ways for me and felt over-priced.

I now have the Series 2 with watchOS 3 and really enjoy it, but my expectations are much lower, it's a fitness/health tool PLUS discrete review of messages/sending short ones. That's about it. If that has value for you then go for it.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:59 am

SittingOnTheFence wrote:I haven't worn a watch in 2 decades. The time is available everywhere. I am able to guess the time to within 5 min if I have seen a clock in the last 2 hours. I figured this watch is just another tech doo-dad.

Thanks, OP for this query. Lots of good info here.

So now I'm interested in monitoring my pulse & BP. I can understand why it won't do BP. I want it to be wearable in the shower. So that tech doo-dad suddenly becomes more interesting. I'm just not sure if it's worth it just for a record of my pulse. Cannot grasp why I need to know how many step's I've taken. Everything else I've looked at is not waterproof, I was especially interested in the Fitbit but the specs indicate taking a shower with one on is not advisable.

Questions:
Someone mentioned leaving the iPhone behind and listening to podcasts. Does the watch download podcasts or are they streamed from your cell provider and/or wifi? Will a 3rd party BT headset sync to the watch? Can this watch display 24hr time or only am/pm? I'm in my late 60's. Typing on the iPhone is difficult enough, I cannot see how I would be typing on a watchface. Any comments?

Music and/or podcasts have to be synced to the Apple Watch from your iPhone. Music is synced through the Watch app on your iPhone. For podcasts I use a clunky little third=party app because no one else has written one yet. (Which I find strange.) But it works. The Watch has wifi and bluetooth radios, but no cellular radios. They could update the software eventually to allow streaming over wifi, but they don't currently. (The Watch can receive phone calls and respond to messages over known wifi networks without the paired iPhone being available, but that's generally only useful at home. I don't have to carry my phone around the house.)

You can pick 24 hr time or AM/PM. I use 24 hr time. There are a variety of watch faces, some mimic analog watches, some include pictures or animation, two feature Mickey or Minnie Mouse with their arms pointing out the time, some have big digital numbers. I use one with lots of information on it. Most of them allow complications in two, three, or four places showing bits of info (date, weather, moon, calendar, activity, etc.).

The original Apple Watch (Series 0) was unofficially waterproof. Apple called it splash proof. Many people showered in it, but I wouldn't recommend it. Series 1 still falls into that category. Series 2 is rated for swimming, and Apple includes pool and open water swim modes in the Exercise app. (It'll automatically count laps in pool mode, and it'll try to use the GPS in open water mode.)

You can respond to messages on the watch in 3 ways. It tries to offer contextually appropriate quick responses based on the content of the incoming message: Yes, No, Thanks, Got it, On my way, etc. You can just tap on one to respond. Or you can write letters on the screen one at a time. Accurate, but tedious, especially since I somehow still have the old Palm written alphabet embedded in my brain, and that doesn't work. The third way is dictation, and I find that works quite well. (It will only handle one language at a time, though. They haven't figured out multi-lingual dictation yet.)

Third party bluetooth headsets work well with the watch. I had been using an old-model Jaybird Freedom wireless headset, and it worked just fine. But I lucked into getting a pair of Apple's new AirPods, and I love them.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:14 am

czr wrote:I consider myself as a tech person and feel like smart watches especially the Iwatch as a pure gimmick. Wait a couple years then decide.

Ditto. Every time someone tries to explain how it benefits them, I am totally :confused as to how that particular capability actually is of any value. As a fitness watch, it seems to be a good option, but there are many out there.

Cosmo

Post by Cosmo » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:31 am

Ron Scott wrote:
Imageek2 wrote:Both the spouse and I have Apple Watches and we both have said we would replace them right away if we lost them. Notifications on the wrist are great. I also check the stock market on the watch, answer calls, send texts, respond to texts and emails, and track my activities. I can also play Pong on the watch, although that is more to show off to people :happy

I have a small but prized collection of mechanical watches and I am positive I'd become as addicted to the Apple watch as I am the iPhone and iPad, and my mechanicals would sit in the box.

^This. I am actually in search of a device that will help pry me away from the iPhone and iPad. :-)

Cosmo

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:44 am

stoptothink wrote:
czr wrote:I consider myself as a tech person and feel like smart watches especially the Iwatch as a pure gimmick. Wait a couple years then decide.

Ditto. Every time someone tries to explain how it benefits them, I am totally :confused as to how that particular capability actually is of any value. As a fitness watch, it seems to be a good option, but there are many out there.

There really aren't that many options for an on-board GPS, swim-proof, music-playing bluetooth fitness watch. It's pretty much a few Android Wear models or Apple Watch. I'd get whichever one matched my phone and carry on.

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:59 am

stoptothink wrote:

Unless you are really in health/fitness/running/cycling/swimming or are someone who during you day is constantly receiving information electronically for your job or life while not being tethered to a specific location it is probably difficult to see. Personally I have been through 3 devices including the Microsoft Band looking for a good option for notification with a suitable screen and interface. I am also an avid Fitbit user. Unfortunately for the Apple Watch my favorite FitBit feature is sleep monitoring and that is unavailable on the Apple Watch until battery life increases to the point you don't have to recharge it every night. From everything I have read the Series 2, especially the Nike version, it the bomb for runners, cyclists and swimmers. So right now I am teetering on the fence but definitely Jonesing for one. The notifications would be so sweet and let's face it compare to most fitness trackers the Apple Watch is gorgeous. I am probably going to try to hold out for series 3 but I really can't see going a another full year without one especially if I keep making health and fitness a priority in my life.
Run, You Clever Boy!

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:00 am

Cosmo wrote:
Ron Scott wrote:

^This. I am actually in search of a device that will help pry me away from the iPhone and iPad. :-)

Cosmo

It's called a shelf, place the devices on it and walk away slowly while facing away from the devices.
Run, You Clever Boy!

topper1296

Post by topper1296 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:06 am

If I'm going to wear a watch that runs off of a battery, it will be a Casio G-Shock.

Disclaimer: I wear a Swiss made automatic watch.

rai

Post by rai » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:33 am

Have not read every post but I'd give my 2c

I received one for Christmas was going to take it back because I don't typically wear a watch. I do at work Casio calculator but otherwise no watch.

I had to keep it though because it was a gift from my kids. Anyway they only were able to buy the series 1 but after reading I upgraded to the series 2 Nike watch.

It has GPS which is key for me since I like to walk a lot as exercises and had a Garmin watch that I only used for walking but never replaced when it stopped working.

Anyway what's nice about the Apple Watch is you can turn off your timer or alarm from you phone, answer the phone, send and receive text messages all without taking your phone out.

The main problem for me is the calculator app which I use sometimes doesn't regester my finger taps so I need to be super exaggerated to get the inputs so I just end up using my phone for the calculator.

Overall I am very happy, usually no not wear watch because it's annoying to me, but he Nike band has a lot of perforations so I can wear it all day and not even feel it.

The cool thing is you can customize the watch face so if you want stock ticker or weather or text message icon you can put that.

My watch face shows power level, time, date, activity, and outside temp as well as one space for the Nike exercise.

My battery lasts very well like all day and I'll be at 70% at night that's without doing any outside walking GPS which they say eats up the battery a lot more.

I think it charges quick, I haven't checked but I was reading it only takes like 15 minutes or so to get from mid charge to full charge.

Overall to me it's not a must own, but I think now I'm very pleasantly surprised and if you think you want one you will probably love it.

I think really this watch will only get better once I figure out the best apps and how to use it, and I think basic OS upgrades will improve it as well.

I'd give it 95 grade. Mostly taking away because it's sensitivity to tiny finger touch like the calculator keys.
Last edited by rai on Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon. | | "You say that money, isn't everything | But I'd like to see you live without it." - Silverchair

EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:35 am

Please buy an apple watch. Apple is my most heavy weighted stock in my US index and I need it to continue to rise in value

Realistically the apple watch is a useless piece of tech junk that adds little real value. In the work place it does nothing my phone doesn't already do. There is no real value in knowing how many steps you took or what your heart rate is unless you have a cardiac issue requiring constant monitoring. The only benefit I can see from the watch is having music and GPS without your phone while running or biking. It also is a decent lap timer while swimming. Realistically every pool has a big clock on the wall and you don't necessarily need to know how many laps you did. GPS is a decent function but there are other less expensive products that accomplish the same thing and keep a longer charge.

Currently at its state and function the apple watch is consumeristic garbage. Since money is not infinite, there are plenty of other places I would rather spend the $400 that would provide much more happiness and satisfaction. Another way to consider this, is that once you start down the apple watch pathway, you will find yourself buying a new watch every few years. Considering the price and your marginal tax rate, are you willing to work all those extra hours for an item that provides such minimal actual benefit?

But again please buy one and convince your friends to do the same.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:46 am

TheTimeLord wrote:Unfortunately for the Apple Watch my favorite FitBit feature is sleep monitoring and that is unavailable on the Apple Watch until battery life increases to the point you don't have to recharge it every night. From everything I have read the Series 2, especially the Nike version, it the bomb for runners, cyclists and swimmers. So right now I am teetering on the fence but definitely Jonesing for one. The notifications would be so sweet and let's face it compare to most fitness trackers the Apple Watch is gorgeous. I am probably going to try to hold out for series 3 but I really can't see going a another full year without one especially if I keep making health and fitness a priority in my life.

The battery life on Series 2 is good enough to use it as a sleep tracker. You'd just have to charge it at your desk or in your car or some other time when you weren't active.

EnjoyIt wrote:Currently at its state and function the apple watch is consumeristic garbage. Since money is not infinite, there are plenty of other places I would rather spend the $400 that would provide much more happiness and satisfaction. Another way to consider this, is that once you start down the apple watch pathway, you will find yourself buying a new watch every few years. Considering the price and your marginal tax rate, are you willing to work all those extra hours for an item that provides such minimal actual benefit?

I can actually think of very few better things to spend $400 on. There are few things I spend more time doing--other than sleeping--or thinking about other than running. Not carrying a phone or iPod is priceless.

But as I've said a couple of times, I agree that fitness is its raison d'être.

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:07 pm

jhfenton wrote:
TheTimeLord wrote:Unfortunately for the Apple Watch my favorite FitBit feature is sleep monitoring and that is unavailable on the Apple Watch until battery life increases to the point you don't have to recharge it every night. From everything I have read the Series 2, especially the Nike version, it the bomb for runners, cyclists and swimmers. So right now I am teetering on the fence but definitely Jonesing for one. The notifications would be so sweet and let's face it compare to most fitness trackers the Apple Watch is gorgeous. I am probably going to try to hold out for series 3 but I really can't see going a another full year without one especially if I keep making health and fitness a priority in my life.

The battery life on Series 2 is good enough to use it as a sleep tracker. You'd just have to charge it at your desk or in your car or some other time when you weren't active.

I assume Apple disagrees since most believe the reason there is no sleep tracking app is the need to charge during the night.
Run, You Clever Boy!

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:09 pm

EnjoyIt wrote:Please buy an apple watch. Apple is my most heavy weighted stock in my US index and I need it to continue to rise in value

Realistically the apple watch is a useless piece of tech junk that adds little real value. In the work place it does nothing my phone doesn't already do. There is no real value in knowing how many steps you took or what your heart rate is unless you have a cardiac issue requiring constant monitoring. The only benefit I can see from the watch is having music and GPS without your phone while running or biking. It also is a decent lap timer while swimming. Realistically every pool has a big clock on the wall and you don't necessarily need to know how many laps you did. GPS is a decent function but there are other less expensive products that accomplish the same thing and keep a longer charge.

Currently at its state and function the apple watch is consumeristic garbage. Since money is not infinite, there are plenty of other places I would rather spend the $400 that would provide much more happiness and satisfaction. Another way to consider this, is that once you start down the apple watch pathway, you will find yourself buying a new watch every few years. Considering the price and your marginal tax rate, are you willing to work all those extra hours for an item that provides such minimal actual benefit?

Interesting assessment.
Run, You Clever Boy!

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:22 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:
jhfenton wrote:

I assume Apple disagrees since most believe the reason there is no sleep tracking app is the need to charge during the night.

There are several third party sleep tracking apps.

I agree that the battery life is not ideal for sleep tracking, but it's a big improvement over Series 0, where I was usually under 20% at bedtime. Now, it's 60-70% at bedtime with no workout, less 20% per hour of GPS/bluetooth music workout session. If you have a 30-minute commute each way, that's probably enough time to always keep the watch charged. If you don't have a commute, you'd have to figure out another routine down time if you wanted to go that way.

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:10 pm

jhfenton wrote:
TheTimeLord wrote:
jhfenton wrote:

There are several third party sleep tracking apps.

I agree that the battery life is not ideal for sleep tracking, but it's a big improvement over Series 0, where I was usually under 20% at bedtime. Now, it's 60-70% at bedtime with no workout, less 20% per hour of GPS/bluetooth music workout session. If you have a 30-minute commute each way, that's probably enough time to always keep the watch charged. If you don't have a commute, you'd have to figure out another routine down time if you wanted to go that way.

If I was disciplined about recharging, there are plenty of times where I am either at my desk or chilling in front of the TV to recharge without missing any meaningful tracking data.
Run, You Clever Boy!

Cruise

Post by Cruise » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:21 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:Unless you are really in health/fitness/running/cycling/swimming or are someone who during you day is constantly receiving information electronically for your job or life while not being tethered to a specific location it is probably difficult to see. Personally I have been through 3 devices including the Microsoft Band looking for a good option for notification with a suitable screen and interface. I am also an avid Fitbit user. Unfortunately for the Apple Watch my favorite FitBit feature is sleep monitoring and that is unavailable on the Apple Watch until battery life increases to the point you don't have to recharge it every night. From everything I have read the Series 2, especially the Nike version, it the bomb for runners, cyclists and swimmers. So right now I am teetering on the fence but definitely Jonesing for one. The notifications would be so sweet and let's face it compare to most fitness trackers the Apple Watch is gorgeous. I am probably going to try to hold out for series 3 but I really can't see going a another full year without one especially if I keep making health and fitness a priority in my life.

There are a number of studies showing that people who use fitness trackers are more likely to gain weight, so be careful about your aspirations! :happy

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:37 pm

Cruise wrote:
TheTimeLord wrote:Unless you are really in health/fitness/running/cycling/swimming or are someone who during you day is constantly receiving information electronically for your job or life while not being tethered to a specific location it is probably difficult to see. Personally I have been through 3 devices including the Microsoft Band looking for a good option for notification with a suitable screen and interface. I am also an avid Fitbit user. Unfortunately for the Apple Watch my favorite FitBit feature is sleep monitoring and that is unavailable on the Apple Watch until battery life increases to the point you don't have to recharge it every night. From everything I have read the Series 2, especially the Nike version, it the bomb for runners, cyclists and swimmers. So right now I am teetering on the fence but definitely Jonesing for one. The notifications would be so sweet and let's face it compare to most fitness trackers the Apple Watch is gorgeous. I am probably going to try to hold out for series 3 but I really can't see going a another full year without one especially if I keep making health and fitness a priority in my life.

There are a number of studies showing that people who use fitness trackers are more likely to gain weight, so be careful about your aspirations! :happy

Fitness trackers are probably more likely to be purchased with people battling weight issues looking for a $100. They are just tools to enhance, not replace the exercise and dietary changes someone seeking to lose weight likely needs. I think most people who are disappointed with technologies have unrealistic or unfounded expectation for the technology. Example, I would like an Apple Watch just to save me from constantly retrieving my phone from my pocket thanks to notifications for I find it useful, other want it to be a Dick Tracey Watch which it isn't and they see no use for anything that isn't so to them it is a failure.
Run, You Clever Boy!

jackholloway

Post by jackholloway » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:27 pm

I like my Apple Watch a fair amount. It let's me take my phone out less often. Given that I have a job that wants fairly constant contact during the workday, this is a boon.