Glass top for a new kitchen table

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
BashDash

Glass top for a new kitchen table

Post by BashDash » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:32 am

We are buying a new round kitchen table. It is a pottery barn table we liked and we are looking to have a local glass company make up a glass top for it to minimize damage to the wood. We have two small kids and the wear and tear could possibly ruin it without the glass. Has anyone done this type of thing before? Does the glass get damaged thru wear and tear itself? Will silverware scratch it? We were thinking when we need to use the leaf we can put the glass top on too of our bed for safekeeping for the day. Any other suggestions instead of glass? We are on track for our retirement thru this forum and want to preserve a purchase we can enjoy over the years. Thanks in advance!
Last edited by BashDash on Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Frisco Kid

Re: Glass top for a new kitchen table

Post by Frisco Kid » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:38 am

Glass is quite durable but also can be VERY heavy depending on size and thickness making moving it cumbersome. It is also difficult to grab. A glass shop could give you an idea of the weight. We have several glass table tops but none as large as a dining room table.

sport

Post by sport » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:44 am

When DD was little, we bought her a nice bedroom dresser with a wooden top. I was concerned about the top, because young ladies sometimes like to use perfumes and other makeup materials that might damage the wood. So, I went to a plastic supplier and had them cut a sheet of 1/16" acrylic plastic. I put green felt spots around the edges as needed so it would not affect the wood. It was not expensive, it was easy to handle (very light) and provided full protection. The plastic is not very durable. It will scratch, and you could not put anything really hot on it (it will melt). However, since it is inexpensive, it is also easily replaced if it starts to look bad.

EagertoLearnMore

Post by EagertoLearnMore » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:48 am

Yes, a glass top table gets scratches from pulling dishes across it and dropping forks when setting the table. My biggest concern would be the safety of your children having all that glass on a surface they will be using frequently. We have several glass coffee tables and we really enjoy the appearance, but they are in a room not used by children.

If you don't like the appearance of a material table covering is plexiglass a possibility? It will scratch too, but is more resistant to breaking. The glass coffee table tops are very heavy and a lot smaller than a dining table.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:07 am

You would need to cut the glass into 2-3 parts due to weight. Another option is to order pads for a dining table. Much less expensive than glass. You could put something such as an acrylic sheet of small size on top of the table cloth when children were using the table to do crafts.

Tim

tenkuky

Post by tenkuky » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:35 am

We had a local glass shop craft a 54" glass top for dining room table 8 years ago. It went over a Pier One wicker base.
It has been very durable (only sustained a small scratch during one of our moves).
We always use pads for dishes and place mats for plates and cups while using it.
It was made in one piece, but other posters are right VERY heavy, needed 3 people to carry it to moving truck.
One move they had to build a custom crate in the apartment prior to moving it.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:50 am

How large is the surface of the wood table you want to cover? I think you are saying you want to cover the entire table (this is not a pedestal).

There are a few practical considerations. The table (or even a large piece of glass) may not lie perfectly flat so you might need to add extra plastic shims/spacers. Also, if a liquid spills on the glass top it can drip down and seep onto the table (under the glass so you can't wipe it up). This could be mitigated by getting a piece of glass that is 6-12" larger than the diameter of the table (making the table look more like an oversized pedestal).

I'd plan on using plastic placemats and replacing the table in 10 years when the kids are older if needed. If you don't want to do that get a less expensive table at least for a few more years until the kids are past the experimentation stage with food, silverware and cups.

BashDash

Post by BashDash » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:52 am

Thanks for all the replies! It is a 45 inch diameter table.

Tortuga

Post by Tortuga » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:07 am

BashDash:

For calculating weight, quarter inch thick glass weighs ~3.27 pounds per square foot. 45 inch diameter round quarter inch glass would weigh nearly 46 pounds. Quarter inch may not be sufficient thickness.

Tortuga

BashDash

Post by BashDash » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:41 pm

Think the plexi glass might be a good idea for us. If we need to put the leaf on it will give us some flexibility. Any issues with cloudiness on plexi? Thanks for all the great suggestions.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:10 pm

Glass is generally a lot more durable than wood.

After several wood dining tables, I've switched to glass. If you have to cover a wood table with pads, table clothes or glass, it is sort of defeating the purpose of the warmness/look of the wood in my opinion.

I'm not sure how much the table cost, but a custom glass piece could cost significant $$$. I bought a glass table with a round top and wanted a square top. I ordered it online from a glass maker. It was $200 for a 42" square 1/2" thick top shipped. If you need a standard size, it probably will be reasonable. Since you only need it for protection, you can probably go with thinner glass.

Lafder

Post by Lafder » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:17 pm

Wood table tops are meant for use!

Our table has survived 2 infants to toddlers to kids to now teens, painting projects, homework, dinners, and countless other projects strewn across it. There are some small marks that are unnoticeable unless you look up close.

The biggest scratches/dents are from when my son was lying on the table doing homework and our 60 pound dog jumped up there with him. When she scrambled to get off, she left some deeper marks. But I consider them a memory of that moment and that sweet dog who passed away years ago.

I think you are over worrying about damage to the table top from everyday use.

Go with a glass or plexiglass cover if you want it. It is just not something most people consider, which makes me think it is unnecessary. (You can take a poll on how many people here have done the same)

It reminds me of the clear plastic seat covers on my friend's mom's living room furniture that were awful to sit on. She got the covers when the kids were little, and never took them off even when her kids were all adults. Oh my, they still do make them! https://www.amazon.com/Laminet-Cover-VO ... B007RYUXMM

(Disclaimer: I do have a plastic on one side, fuzzy on the other picnic table cloth I put on the table if we were doing a messy paint or glue project)

Pottery barn is pricey, and it is not all solid wood. Read the details including the care they recommend.

As mentioned, check the weight of the proposed glass table top. It sounds tough to move it.

lafder

btenny

Post by btenny » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:32 pm

Wood tables are tough with small kids. We had a Formica breakfast table with rolling chairs when out kids were small. We also had a separate formal dinning room table for special occasions. Kids are messy and hit stuff for fun and bang the forks and so forth. They are just being kids. If you have to keep the wood table for everyday use you need to cover it completely including the sides. I do not think a glass top is a good idea. It will get junk under the glass, the glass will get scratched. It might even break if is too thin. If it is thick it will be too heavy.

I would get some sort of heavy pad (see below) and then put that under a big thick piece of plastic or Plexiglas to cover the whole table top. Then put a table cloth cover over the whole thing. The table cover will soak up most spills and can be washed and cleaned easily when it gets dirty. Buy some inexpensive ones so you have 2-3 and rotate them. You can wipe up spills off the Plexiglas. And occasionally you can remove the Plexiglas and wash the pad underneath it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002T ... i=13468961

Good Luck.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:43 pm

I've used sheet acrylic to protect wooden furniture before putting small fish tanks on them. I feel more comfortable using acrylic around kids and pets. It does scratch more easily, but it is lighter, less likely to break, and won't break into sharp, dangerous bits should it get damaged. If you do go with glass, you'd want safety glass, to minimize danger to the kids if broken.

Rodc

Post by Rodc » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:43 pm

An easy cheap alternative to glass:

Lightly padded vinyl table cloth cut to fit, cover that with a nicer looking table cloth.

The ones I am thinking of are sort of flocked on one side which is the side you put down.

When they are older you can switch to nice placemats at dinner time and otherwise let the wood show.

This looks nice (you can get seasonal table cloths if you like)(if not as nice as the wooden top), easy to clean (toss in washer), cheap to replace when stained.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:27 pm

Personally I'd go for a solid wood top with a good polyurethane coat. Something that I could sand down and refinish a couple of times if it got too distressed. You might even be able to replace the whole top for less than a glass cover.

But then IMHO fairly cheap stuff like naked pine looks nicer and lasts longer than the mid range stuff.