Windows 10 Security on a Tablet

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
cheese_breath

Windows 10 Security on a Tablet

Post by cheese_breath » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:17 pm

I'm finally starting to drag myself into this century. Just ordered an inexpensive little Windows 10 tablet to play with and educate myself. Expect to receive it in about a week. First experience with a tablet, first experience with Windows 10.

I always used Norton on my PCs, so my first questions concern WIndows 10 security. Does it come with the security already enabled, or do I need to turn it on? If so, how?

Also I've read there could be privacy issues if some of the default settings aren't changed. So I'd appreciate suggestions and recommendations on which settings to change, both for privacy concerns and any other reasons.

Once I'm confident the security issues have been addressed I guess I'll just start playing around and see what happens. But I might be back with more questions later.

Thx.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

student

Re: Windows 10 Security on a Tablet

Post by student » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:25 pm

cheese_breath wrote:I'm finally starting to drag myself into this century. Just ordered an inexpensive little Windows 10 tablet to play with and educate myself. Expect to receive it in about a week. First experience with a tablet, first experience with Windows 10.

I always used Norton on my PCs, so my first questions concern WIndows 10 security. Does it come with the security already enabled, or do I need to turn it on? If so, how?

Also I've read there could be privacy issues if some of the default settings aren't changed. So I'd appreciate suggestions and recommendations on which settings to change, both for privacy concerns and any other reasons.

Once I'm confident the security issues have been addressed I guess I'll just start playing around and see what happens. But I might be back with more questions later.

Thx.

It does come with its own security suite, including anti-virus.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/why-window ... rotection/

I do not use anything else. But then again my windows machine is secondary.

You may also want to check with your ISP as some, such as Comcast, give away free Norton or McaFee.

Good Listener

Post by Good Listener » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:16 pm

You have been a great poster. Advice,: cancel it or return it unopened. Get an Android and never look back.

sandramjet

Post by sandramjet » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:30 pm

Good Listener wrote:You have been a great poster. Advice,: cancel it or return it unopened. Get an Android and never look back.

My experience is just the opposite. I ditched my Android tablet (which gave me constant headaches and would not run the latest versions of browsers, so I had sites refusing to work correctly) and love my windows tablet. I can run all my windows programs that I couldn't on Android. I use just the protection that came with Windows-10; but as mentioned, this is not my primary machine. I am careful about not connecting to open wireless networks at public places, but I'd be careful about that with any machine.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:36 pm

Good Listener wrote:You have been a great poster. Advice,: cancel it or return it unopened. Get an Android and never look back.

The reason I chose Windows 10 over Android was so I could get familiar with it before I replaced my next PC. This is a really cheap tablet, and I got it just to play with and experiment on.

Bobo

Post by Bobo » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:40 pm

Windows 10 Pro has more security than the home version but they're both considered safe. I'm personally not going out of my way to get Pro, but it's still in the back of my mind. I'm wondering if someone doing online trading over wifi should have the pro version. And whether the library's wifi network is safe enough for online trading.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:47 pm

I am thinking of getting Win 10 but have not done it yet. From what I've read, it's secure but not private: the software sends diagnostic information to the server to keep it protected.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Jim180

Post by Jim180 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:51 pm

Here's a link explaining some of the default settings you may want to change for added privacy:
http://www.computerworld.com/article/3025709/microsoft-windows/windows-10-quick-tips-how-to-protect-your-privacy.html

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:21 pm

cheese_breath wrote:

The reason I chose Windows 10 over Android was so I could get familiar with it before I replaced my next PC. This is a really cheap tablet, and I got it just to play with and experiment on.

Windows 10 has a limited learning curve if you install Classic Shell. That makes it look like Windows 7/Vista/XP, i.e., a trandional desktop interface.

With a tablet, you're probably better sticking with the Metro/smartphone-like interface. More of a learning curve but probably works better with a touchscreen.

Microsoft recently created a new privacy dashboard. Instead of Express settings with a default of no privacy, you get Full Snoop or Partial Snoop (those are the nicknames, not sure of the real ones.) Microsoft did that to avoid going to court in Switzerland.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:44 am

azurekep wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:

Windows 10 has a limited learning curve if you install Classic Shell. That makes it look like Windows 7/Vista/XP, i.e., a trandional desktop interface.

With a tablet, you're probably better sticking with the Metro/smartphone-like interface. More of a learning curve but probably works better with a touchscreen.

Microsoft recently created a new privacy dashboard. Instead of Express settings with a default of no privacy, you get Full Snoop or Partial Snoop (those are the nicknames, not sure of the real ones.) Microsoft did that to avoid going to court in Switzerland.

Yes, that's my intent. I expect they will probably eliminate the classic look someday, possibly in Windows 10 successor, and I want to get used to the newer look now.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:21 pm

So the tablet came a couple days ago and I've been fooling around with it some, and I'm back with some more rookie follow-up questions. (1) What's the best software for backing up my WIndows 10 system? At this point I'm assuming whatever you use on a PC WIn 01 will probably work on the tablet WIn 10 too. (2) I can't figure out how to close a tab in Edge. Every time I try to close it like in Win 7 and previous versions (press the X at the top right of the tab) it opens a new tab instead. Is this a problem on PCs too? (3) How do I shut down an app so the next time I bring it up it comes up clean instead of restarting from where it left off? My guess is there's probably a setting for this, but I haven't found one yet.

At least I managed to download Chrome to use while I fool around with Edge and got access to my Gmail.

student

Post by student » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:45 pm

cheese_breath wrote: (2) I can't figure out how to close a tab in Edge. Every time I try to close it like in Win 7 and previous versions (press the X at the top right of the tab) it opens a new tab instead. Is this a problem on PCs too?

The "X" should work. The "+" gives you a new tab.

cheese_breath wrote:
(3) How do I shut down an app so the next time I bring it up it comes up clean instead of restarting from where it left off? My guess is there's probably a setting for this, but I haven't found one yet.

On the bottom right, there should be windows, arrow, magnifying glass, book with wings icon. Click on the book with wings icon and you will see all the open apps. Click "X" on the app that you want to close.

mattshwink

Post by mattshwink » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:35 pm

cheese_breath wrote: (1) What's the best software for backing up my WIndows 10 system?

It really depends on what you are looking to do in terms of backup, but for most of us this means your files. OneDrive integrates with the OS and automatically updates to the cloud. It comes with Windows 10. I would simply create an account (or use an existing one) and use that.

nordsteve

Post by nordsteve » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:29 pm

cheese_breath wrote:(3) How do I shut down an app so the next time I bring it up it comes up clean instead of restarting from where it left off?

Long swipe from top to bottom will close an app. See http://bgr.com/2015/03/19/windows-10-new-gestures/ for details on the four edge swipe options.

Good Listener

Post by Good Listener » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:25 pm

For most apps I see them available for iOS and Android. How do you get these on Windows 10 tablets?

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:21 pm

Good Listener wrote:For most apps I see them available for iOS and Android. How do you get these on Windows 10 tablets?

Right now I'm just trying to get used to Windows 10 and the few apps that came with it. I guess there is a MIcrosoft apps store, but I haven't checked it out...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/store/a ... wsAppsEnCa

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:39 am

Microsoft sent out a Windows 10 update for the tablet a couple days ago, and it seemed to fix the problems I've mentioned previously. (I wonder how old the version was that came with the tablet.) Now I'm concentrating to getting used to the touch screen after decades of using a keyboard. I'm starting to appreciate this little thing now (is an 8 inch screen little?), but I'm not ready to retire my Chromebook yet.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:12 am

cheese_breath wrote:Yes, that's my intent. I expect they will probably eliminate the classic look someday, possibly in Windows 10 successor, and I want to get used to the newer look now.

If you've resigned yourself to learning a new interface, I suggest you give Linux Mint a try. You can download an install DVD image, burn it to DVD, boot from it, and play around without touching your existing OS on your hard drive. (Not meaning to proselytize here, just a suggestion.)
Anybody know why there's a 20-pound frozen turkey up in the light grid?