Why is Lexus not fixing its air bags?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
simple man

Why is Lexus not fixing its air bags?

Post by simple man »

Long story short, about 8 months ago I got the letter from Lexus saying they need to fix my takata airbag (passenger side only). To this day, Lexus wont fix them. I understand that Honda is getting all the new production of the new air bags first. I am patient but I am getting tired of making people ride in the back seat! Has anyone heard anything? Or if they have some, how do you get to the front of the line?
Dilbydog

Re: Why is Lexus not fixing its air bags?

Post by Dilbydog »

I had the same issue with another luxury auto manufacturer. I spoke to my service rep, and they recommended that I contact the auto manufacturers customer service division, and inform them that I feel "unsafe" operating my vehicle with a potentially deadly airbag pointed at my head. This seemed to do the trick, as my replacement airbag was sent to my local dealer within a week. BTW, my service rep provided me with the direct number.
Tycoon

Post by Tycoon »

I had to wait almost two years before Acura replaced my air bags. Honda was not much better.
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. Getting rich off of "smart people's" behavioral mistakes.
stats99

Post by stats99 »

My understanding is that the supply of replacement airbags is severly constrained.The vast amount of replacements needed will take years to produce.
ScooterBob

Post by ScooterBob »

I got a notice a couple years ago for my Nissan Sentra. I waited forever to make an appointment so Nissan kept contacting me. They even promised a loaner car for me while mine was being fixed! Couldn't believe the customer service. I take the car to the dealer and told the guy that any loaner will do. He looked at me like I had horns growing out of my head. "loaner? this job will take 20 minutes to a half hour" Yep, a half hour or so later they brought my car out and all was good.

Call customer service and complain- nicely. You'll be as good as new in no time.

Bob
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (car).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 »

stats99 wrote:My understanding is that the supply of replacement airbags is severly constrained.The vast amount of replacements needed will take years to produce.
You don't think they could stop production of new cars and get you your airbag faster?
btenny

Post by btenny »

Same situation with my 2006 Lincoln. No passenger airbag nor any plan to get one. But I have been getting notices the bag is bad for a eyar or so. My thinking is Lincoln and their dealers want me to buy a new car. So I see them setting on their a** and doing nothing to fix this issue.

Does anyone know if there are some lawsuits around to help "encourage" the companies to replace these defective parts so the cars can be driven? I see this deal as the same thing as the VW diesel. Bad cars that should be bought if the company will not fix or cannot fix them.

Good Luck
stats99

Post by stats99 »

The car manufacturers do not produce the airbags. See link below. Where you live also factors into the replacement time.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news ... /index.htm