Electric Bicycles

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
WhyNotUs

Re: Electric Bicycles

Post by WhyNotUs » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:44 pm

My wife has a Juiced CCS. She now asks me to go riding. Her being on a Class 3 and me on a Class 1 keeps my on my toes.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

CascadiaSoonish

Post by CascadiaSoonish » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:14 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:25 pm
The problem is try insuring that with a mainstream auto insurer as a vehicle. As far as I know, eBikes don't have a VIN. If you have plates, you need insurance. To get plates or insurance you need a VIN.
They do have serial numbers but not VINs so the ability to register seems to vary by state. My insurance agent didn't seem to think it was a problem to insure once the vehicle was registered and plated.

I think the long-term solution here is for states to figure out how to handle these moderate-speed vehicles. Something like an electric moped class requiring training and licensing but not the full DMV treatment sounds reasonable to me.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:21 pm

CascadiaSoonish wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:14 pm
michaeljc70 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:25 pm
The problem is try insuring that with a mainstream auto insurer as a vehicle. As far as I know, eBikes don't have a VIN. If you have plates, you need insurance. To get plates or insurance you need a VIN.
They do have serial numbers but not VINs so the ability to register seems to vary by state. My insurance agent didn't seem to think it was a problem to insure once the vehicle was registered and plated.

I think the long-term solution here is for states to figure out how to handle these moderate-speed vehicles. Something like an electric moped class requiring training and licensing but not the full DMV treatment sounds reasonable to me.
A friend from Canada just told me that electric scooters (no pedals, look like like a Vespa) are all over and you need no plates, registration or insurance there (he is in Ontario).

As to the class 3 bikes, realistically a biker can reach 28 mph without an eBike so I don't think it is crazy. As others have said, doing so on bike trails or in bike lanes with people that are typically going much slower should be avoided and common sense applied.

On the issue of insurance, say you have a Class 1 or 2 eBike (or just a plain bicycle for that matter). Does your homeowner's insurance cover you for liability or would that be in the realm of an umbrella policy? I am thinking if you run it into the side of back of a car and it is your fault and cause damage or something like that. I suppose at 20mph in the "right" conditions you could hit and kill someone.

bikechuck

Post by bikechuck » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:19 pm

WhyNotUs wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:44 pm
My wife has a Juiced CCS. She now asks me to go riding. Her being on a Class 3 and me on a Class 1 keeps my on my toes.
You have mentioned my favorite thing about ebikes. My wife got one for her 65th birthday and we can now enjoy riding together on the road or trails at a speed that appeals to both of us. She is riding more and since she does have to pedal she is getting great exercise. Her assist cuts off at 20 mph which is fine as we do not enjoy riding that fast. I might eventually get one if I find that I have trouble keeping up with her but I have ridden an average of 2,000 to 3,000 miles a year for the past 40 years so for now we are pretty good with her on an ebike and me on a standard bike.

getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:38 pm

I'm more of a one-bike-to-ride-them-all type and I love hills, so an ebike doesn't interest me yet. But a couple of my coworkers have them for commuting, and they're really well suited for that. One still gets a bit of exercise, but takes the sting out of hills. They have Trek Verves which they picked up secondhand. Lots of people get them and don't end up using them so you can probably get a good deal.

I think ebikes are great. More cyclists out there mean more people will become accustomed to them on the road.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:00 am

kenyan wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:48 pm
A study was just published showing that e-bike riders (in the study) got just as much exercise as regular bike riders (they ride more, ride further). I'm in excellent shape, but absolutely love my e-bike.

An electric bike is not just a way to cheat and make your exercise easier. It's a mode of transportation, and a very good one, viable for car replacement in many cases. I use mine for almost all of my personal transportation and family errands/grocery shopping. My car gathers dust, though I do drive the family car when we are taking the kids places. I get a workout just fine on it when I want to, which is basically every time I ride except on my commute to work, in work clothes; I crank up the assist then to avoid needing a shower when I arrive.

Now, there *are* people who use them like low-speed scooters that are allowed to use bike paths/lanes, but I don't understand that at all.

Rad Power bikes are nice, but the 20 mph assist limit is a dealbreaker for me at this point.
I think an electric bike is in my future. Asthma hereand bike riding can cause exercise induced attack. Help in pedaling would help me a lot and ease my mind. Would want a bike for errands and pleasure.

Slapshot

Post by Slapshot » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:23 am

I'm 72 and my wife is 69. For years we've been riding, and I always found myself waiting for her at the top of hills, etc. A year and a half ago she got a Pedago Interceptor, and soon she was waiting for me at the top of hills. I've been riding a Bianchi road bike forever and treating most rides as a workout. Lately, after some medical issues, I've been getting really tired when trying to ride hard. The turning point came a few months ago while riding in hilly terrain. I became exhausted. So I finally succumbed to her urging and bought a Magnum Metro. Now instead of riding 15-20 miles, we'll ride 25-30. It's tough after being macho for so long, but I have to change my mindset from biking as a workout to biking for fun and enjoyment. Guess that comes with getting old. But I've found the e-bike to be thoroughly enjoyable.
This time, like all times, is the best of times if we but know what to do with it.

TheMadEph

Post by TheMadEph » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:11 pm

Arlington2019 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:07 pm
This is an interesting and timely thread for me. I am 60 years old, have been a recreational bicyclist for 52 years and have two road and one MTB in the stable. I live in the Cascade foothills 45 miles north of Seattle in very hilly terrain. As my hip joints start to squeak more and more as I throw a leg over the bicycles and motorcycle, I am pondering an electric bike step through as a means of being able to continue bicycling. I need to have something with decent gears so I can continue to pedal and go up hills and use an electric motor to assist, if wanted. If I were to do a long-distance ride or STP again, I would use one of the road bikes. Cost of the bike is immaterial, since one of my road bikes cost over $ 5K (Independent Fabrications Titanium Crown Jewel).

I am thinking about a cargo bike so I could also use it to run errands. Right now, I am pondering the Tern HSD S8i, the Cero One, and the Ariel M-class. The Tern will be out next year. I am giving it the lead due to the Shimano Nexus internal hub, hydraulic discs and carbon fiber belt. The Ariel also has a Shimano Nexus, hydraulic discs and is less than half of what the Tern will be selling for, and is surprisingly well-equipped for the price. This will be strictly recreational for me and will not replace a car. Knowledgeable people should suggest any other models that I am overlooking. Being in the Seattle area, you see a ton of Radpower and Juiced bicycles around.
G&O Family cycles is a great store to check out if you haven't already. More Riese and Muller bikes, but they have some terns and some other brands too. But very good options to test ride. I also have been to the e-bike store near Pioneer Square (electricbikeseattle) and i loved the Urban Arrow Shorty, but that is a real pure cargo bike. Not exactly what i was looking for, but it was a great bike. And Urban Arrow makes a bunch that people like. Obviously all around seattle you see a lot of the Bullitt cargo bikes which are supposedly pretty sweet. I have also ridden the Spicy Curry, by Yuba. Available at REI and cheaper than some others. But more fore ferrying kids on the back or stuff in bags. Doesnt have a big box to toss shit in...

AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:12 pm

rj49 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:08 pm
They only sell online, like Rad, and take Amazon pay, so if you have 5-10% cashback through an Amazon or Discover card it can save even more
Do you have prior experience with receiving the 5% back using Pay with Amazon? You got me all excited to save additional 5% with Amazon Pay linked to my Amazon CC. Yet, when I look at my Amazon Rewards Program Guide via Chase it states "5% Back is not earned on purchases from merchants using Pay with Amazon...". Hopefully, my Guide is outdated and 5% back with Pay with Amazon works. Not willing to take the chance unless others have experience. Thinking I will pull trigger on Rad e-Bike this weekend, but will stay with my Costco CC and get 3X warranty unless others have demonstrated 5% back works. :dollar

FlyAF

Post by FlyAF » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:34 am

For those with the Juiced CCS, how does this thing come shipped exactly?

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:05 am

FlyAF wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:34 am
90% assembled. There are videos on juiced's website and youtube showing final assembly requirements for the customer. Simple. I changed my tires to the Schwalbe Marathon Pro prior to first tide and that was the biggest hassle - removal of rear tire due to motor connections, etc. If you can handle changing a bike tire, you're good to go.

kenyan

Post by kenyan » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:49 am

FlyAF wrote:
The biggest problem for me (not having to change tires like the previous poster) was getting those darn fenders on right. I muddled through it, despite having near-zero experience working on bikes, and took it out for a test ride within the hour.
Retirement investing is a marathon.

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:51 am

kenyan wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:49 am
FlyAF wrote:
The biggest problem for me (not having to change tires like the previous poster) was getting those darn fenders on right. I muddled through it, despite having near-zero experience working on bikes, and took it out for a test ride within the hour.
Agreed. The fenders were a PITA to get close to right (non-noisy) especially with my slightly oversize tires. I must have blocked out that experience ;)

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:18 am

With any rear hub, changing a flat on the rear tire can be a PITA. The CCS is a good example. When new watch the video they provide. In our case, we had to supplement the gear they sent with a small blade and small zip tie. If you practice it before you need it, the first flat will not be as big a deal.

I have a mid drive and prefer those for touring. For riding around town it is not a big deal.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

inves76

Post by inves76 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:03 pm

Installed the Tsdz2 mid drive ($300) and a battery ($290) to my trek FX2. Not very difficult, it took me 2 hours. Now I am commuting with my bike grom brooklyn to Soho 6 miles in 30 minutes everyday and it is a lot of fun. I recommend this kit to everybody.

Finridge

Post by Finridge » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:26 pm

For commuting or recreational "fun" rides, electric bikes are great. But they are not so good if a main goal in riding your bike is to get a good workout.

If you are planning on using the bike for commuting, consider the safety of this--this will depend on the roads and traffic in your area. You don't want to end up with a memorial like this. All it takes is one person looking at test message on their phone while at the wheel...

https://www.outsideonline.com/2325291/t ... ghost-bike

xb7

Post by xb7 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:29 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:58 am
kenyan wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:35 am
IMO wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:31 am

You have a link to that study? I'm a bit skeptical on that and would like to look at the data.

Finally did try an ebike a couple weeks ago. I'm looking into getting a conversion kit for an older bike (with much better components than many ebikes out there) because I'd like to get one for a means to run more errands sans car. Basically the things are like a modern electric version to the old mopeds (not scooters and some younger folk will need to google that). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moped Not into the off road trail thing personally with these and I'm sure hikers/equestrians are really going to like these things being allowed on the trails. However I'd be one of "those people" who use it in a paved bike path/lane because I'm not into riding bikes on roads with cars and all the risks that come with that.
Here you go:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 821930017X

An article discussing it:
https://www.bicycling.com/news/a2881966 ... els-study/

I get way more exercise on my e-bike than I did on my regular bike, because I didn't ride it. I'd wager that I get more exercise on my e-bike than most most cyclists, since they might grab a recreational ride on the weekend and then drive their car all week; I ride the e-bike for all of it.

I'm not sold on e-bikes offroad or on single-track. Bike paths I don't find to be too bad, and don't think I'm too obnoxious on (could be wrong) because I keep my speed down. I have little problem riding on roads with cars (some roads excepted) - the e-bike makes it much easier to accelerate with and keep up with traffic.
+1
+1 = +2 I guess.

I think I get more exercise on an eBike than I would on a non-electric, because it's more fun --- I look for excuses to ride it. If it's important that I don't arrive sweaty, I can take it easy and do that. If it's cold out I can bundle up and not overheat, or at least as fast. What happens in general is that I pedal just as hard but go faster, with the big caveat that I don't hate the uphill stretches anymore. I pick my routes based on where there are bike lanes and/or low traffic, and don't pay attention to the verticality of one route vs. another.

I'm a big fan.

My wife and I have Bulls brand eBikes and like them a lot, though they aren't the cheapest option.