Uneven patio drainage

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
azurekep

Uneven patio drainage

Post by azurekep »

During rain, water collects in one corner of the backyard patio. There is no drain there so we use a household broom to sweep it towards the nearest drain. That's not a good solution since it's not very efficient and it does a number of the broom.

We've also found that water collects along a small area of coping areound the pool. That appears to be causing some minor tile damage due to water seeping in.

I'm wondering if there is a better tool than a household broom for dispersing settled water. A portable air compressor could be one solution but I would have no other use for it. Something that doesn't require electricity would be preferable.
BIGal

Re: Uneven patio drainage

Post by BIGal »

Try a floor squeegee if the surface is pretty smooth or a gas leaf blower:

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/blowe ... dder-vacs/

I have and use both....the blower works well for many tasks...from blowing grass off the walks to blowing dust and dirt out of our garage....I even use it to pre dry our vehicles after washing.
Topic Author
azurekep

Post by azurekep »

BIGal wrote:Try a floor squeegee if the surface is pretty smooth or a gas leaf blower:

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/blowe ... dder-vacs/

I have and use both....the blower works well for many tasks...from blowing grass off the walks to blowing dust and dirt out of our garage....I even use it to pre dry our vehicles after washing.
Thanks. Do you have any comments on curved-blade squeegees vs flat? I'm thinking the flat one would have the most versatility, but the curved one would move the most water.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

For the pool, you may want to have a pool company come out and do an evaluation. There may be some design changes that can be made which will prevent the puddles and seepage. That's more reliable than going out after every rain storm and shoving the water off the area. What happens if it rains while you are out of town?

A patio contractor might be able to make similar modifications to the patio. Or perhaps you need different gutters around that portion of the roof-line to redirect water from the roof to another area better able to handle the deluge. But the patio is probably less critical than the pool, as long as the puddle is nowhere near the foundation of the house.