Toaster Oven Recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Toaster Oven Recommendations

Post by ThankYouJack »

After about 8 years of solid use, my toaster over is tripping the GFCI and I can now only use it in my garage on a 20A outlet. So I need a new one that I'll use it for toast (things like 1 english muffin to as many that fit in there) and of course as an oven. Are they all basically the same or are there any features that make some worthwhile over others? Any recommendations?
daveatca

Toaster Ovens are cheap

Post by daveatca »

Your best advice will come fromCooks' Illustrated and Consumer Reports.
No matter how much/little you pay, they are a disposable appliance.
carolinaman

Re: Toaster Oven Recommendations

Post by carolinaman »

We have a Kitchenaid. We use it a lot, even for some baking, and it does a good job. We have had it at least for the last 6 to 7 years and paid around $100 to $125 if I remember correctly. Not the cheapest but good quality and will buy another one whenever ours croaks.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

The one from Costco is fine, it also has convection. Cuisinart, I think.
Bungo

Post by Bungo »

I use a Breville, which has been really nice so far, but it's only a few months old so can't say how reliable it will be long-term. It replaced a Black and Decker which failed after only one year :oops:
lthenderson

Re: Toaster Ovens are cheap

Post by lthenderson »

daveatca wrote:Your best advice will come fromCooks' Illustrated and Consumer Reports.
No matter how much/little you pay, they are a disposable appliance.
Ditto. I have never gone wrong with Cook's Illustrated (i.e. America's Test Kitchen) advice.
dsmil

Post by dsmil »

I've had the same Cuisinart convection toaster oven for 10 years and it's great.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

From America's Test Kitchen review on Toaster Ovens in 2014
Our top-rated toaster oven, the Smart Oven by Breville, sports simple, intuitive controls and five highly responsive quartz heating elements, which helped it out-toast, -roast, -bake, and -broil the nine other machines in our most recent testing. Nothing about it could be beat—except maybe the $249.95 price and its countertop-hogging size. For tighter spaces and budgets, Breville offers the roughly 25 percent smaller Mini Smart Oven with Element IQ, which features similar easy controls and the same quartz technology (in four elements) for $149.95. We used it to toast four slices of bread, roast two bone-in split chicken breasts, bake eight cookies, and heat a personal-size frozen pizza. In every case, the Mini Smart Oven aced our tests, preheating in 5 minutes or less and baking evenly. We also liked that this oven includes a button labeled “A Bit More,” which lets you broil or toast food for just a few extra seconds or minutes. The Mini Smart Oven by Breville is a terrific choice for smaller spaces.
Liberty1100

Post by Liberty1100 »

My toast oven is on it's last legs too. It has been burning my toast more and more each day for the same amount of time and the buttons are wearing out. We have had it for 10 years, i think, and we use it for toast and for roasting veggies once and a while.

As I have done some research recently to prepare for the it's failure, I am personally leaning towards the Hamilton Beach Easy-Reach Toaster Oven. I am thinking about it since it would just be that much easier to grab that piece of toast or see how things are cooking with such a large door. I am also liking the fact that the door shouldn't be collecting crumbs and will stay clean longer. (Toasters are hard to clean).
redrocker

Post by redrocker »

I've been very happy with my Euro Pro, which I've had at least a decade. It has supplanted my conventional oven for most tasks and gets used daily.
midareff

Post by midareff »

We have a Breville .. the larger 1 cu/ft model. Wife uses it all the time for last 4 years. If something happened would buy again.
50ismygoal

Post by 50ismygoal »

I have a regular toaster that I use to toast bagels, but am thinking of getting a toaster oven to re-heat pizza. If I do this, do I put the slices of pizza in the toaster oven in aluminum foil, or just place the slices on the toaster oven's rack? I know it's a silly question, but this group could answer it. Thanks in advance.
AnonJohn

Post by AnonJohn »

I wouldn't recommend the Euro Pro convection oven. Convection works nicely, but one of the heating elements in mine has gradually elongated into a S shape that rests on the bottom. Can't be good but it still works. Watching this thread with interest! Note: Once in a while the Breville goes on sale. Personally, I've regretted selling my ancient, small proctor-silex Model 0225 to an old room mate. (With the analog on the left side and the two levers on the right). Slow to toast but indestructible ...
teacher

Post by teacher »

We have the larger Breville. It has a feature I have not seen on other toaster ovens. When you open the door, the rack moves outward so you can insert or remove pans easily. We used a 20% off coupon at Bed Bath & Beyond.
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

50ismygoal wrote:I have a regular toaster that I use to toast bagels, but am thinking of getting a toaster oven to re-heat pizza. If I do this, do I put the slices of pizza in the toaster oven in aluminum foil, or just place the slices on the toaster oven's rack? I know it's a silly question, but this group could answer it. Thanks in advance.
Yes, they also come with a tray too so you could put the pizza on that. Of course you don't want things falling down onto the heating elements, so I would just keep an eye on it if you put the pizza directly on the tray.

I usually use a toaster over my over for everything that will fit in it. It's quicker, uses less energy and won't heat up the house less
Teague

Post by Teague »

ThankYouJack wrote:After about 8 years of solid use, my toaster over is tripping the GFCI....
Are we sure it's not the GFCI outlet? They can get persnickety after a while. Maybe try another high-amperage appliance in that outlet?
Semper Augustus
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

We also have a Breville, the smaller version. I wanted the full-sized version but DW wanted to save counter space. I must admit the size of ours is just right.

At first I was unhappy with it because I am a perfectionist when it comes to toast and it doesn't toast the bottom as much as the top so I always flip the toast over with about a minute and 20 seconds left to go. It is annoying but is at least consistent.

BUT: I have to give it credit. Other than the above it works like a champ and has sensible controls. It is growing on me. Perhaps with the full-sized version the toast function is more even. And I do like the full-sized version's auto pull-out of the rack. I don't see why they left that off of the smaller one.

My advice: Go for the Breville and get the larger one if you don't mind the extra cost and counter space. Oh yes, we also got ours with a $20 off coupon from Bed Bath & Beyond. That discount is almost always available so ask for it even if you don't have the coupon! In my case the coupon was "online only" but the store honored it when I asked. If you want, it is even a bit cheaper on Amazon.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
PFInterest

Post by PFInterest »

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Recall America's Test Kitchen recently reviewed toaster ovens. Recall #1 was $200+, #2 was ~$100, but don't remember names.

This search should find ATK episode: http://www.google.com/search?q=recommen ... st+kitchen
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.
AAA

Post by AAA »

teacher wrote:We have the larger Breville. It has a feature I have not seen on other toaster ovens. When you open the door, the rack moves outward so you can insert or remove pans easily. We used a 20% off coupon at Bed Bath & Beyond.
I thought those coupons usually exclude Breville.
AAA

Post by AAA »

ThankYouJack wrote:After about 8 years of solid use, my toaster over is tripping the GFCI and I can now only use it in my garage on a 20A outlet
Is that safe to do?
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

Teague wrote:
ThankYouJack wrote:After about 8 years of solid use, my toaster over is tripping the GFCI....
Are we sure it's not the GFCI outlet? They can get persnickety after a while. Maybe try another high-amperage appliance in that outlet?
Yep, that was the first thing I did :sharebeer . Tried the toaster over in multiple other outlets with no luck (except for the 20A) and tried a hair dryer in the one that the toaster over was plugged into.
AAA wrote:
ThankYouJack wrote:After about 8 years of solid use, my toaster over is tripping the GFCI and I can now only use it in my garage on a 20A outlet
Is that safe to do?
I was wondering the same. I plan to buy one soon and I guess if I really need to toast something in the meantime, I'll watch it with a fire extinguisher on hand. I suppose I could also get electrocuted though so I probably won't take any chances
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Our previous toaster oven did the same thing. Kept flipping the breaker. I sent it packing to the landfill.

I purchased a Kitchenaid from Costco. It is a bit bigger than the previous Black & Decker but I can do a good sized pizza in this one. The convection setting is good. Cooks fast. I would go by the size you want. Read some Amazon reviews. Or check out your closest thrift store. Ours has 5+ toaster ovens on the shelf at all times. They must be hot or cold usage items.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

I've successfully done this twice with throw-away kitchen appliances*.
--First was all-mechanical pop-up toaster (no electronics). Ran it through a dishwasher cycle.
--Second was automatic coffeemaker with electronic module. Removed module, then ran it through a dishwasher cycle and reinstalled module after dry.

* I learned to do this after reading how old radios that got dunked were to be repaired. The first step was to leave them in water until you were ready to repair them. (Exception. If dunked in salt water, then rinse/store them in fresh water.) Then repair them quickly. It was expected you'd need to replace the speaker, but most other components should be okay if dried/repaired quickly.

Both worked after all the gunk was washed out. This was the best case.

Worst case. Appliance continues not to work (and maybe now trips circuit breaker), so still a throw-away. Meaning, nothing is lost by the cleaning effort.

If OP's toaster oven is tripping a GFCI, then suspect a conductive gunk buildup near electrical contact that is allowing a trick current to ground (detected by GFCI). So I'd try cleaning it before throwing it away.
--Disassemble it to expose internals to dishwasher.
--Remove any electronic modules (don't run through dishwasher).
--Run mechanical toaster oven parts through a dishwasher cycle.
--Reassemble it after it's dry and try it.

Worst case it still does not work. Best case it now works.
Last edited by dratkinson on Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Had many toaster ovens over the years.
Got this Oster 2 weeks ago.
Excellent Product.
Everything cooks,toasts superb.
:happy

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Z ... UTF8&psc=1
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Toons

Post by Toons »

Had many toaster ovens over the years.
Got this Oster 2 weeks ago.
Excellent Product.
Everything cooks,toasts superb.
:happy

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Z ... UTF8&psc=1
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

When our (very old) toaster died, I started looking around and saw that the Breville was rated very highly. I scoffed. Who would pay $250 for a toaster oven?

I ended up finding the larger one in great condition on Craigslist for $85. Now use it for many things I used to use my regular oven for and don't have any major complaints. Hate to admit it, but if it died, I would go and replace it even for full retail.

That said, if all you want to do is toast bread, stick with an inexpensive model.
pmcgillicutty

Post by pmcgillicutty »

50ismygoal wrote:I have a regular toaster that I use to toast bagels, but am thinking of getting a toaster oven to re-heat pizza. If I do this, do I put the slices of pizza in the toaster oven in aluminum foil, or just place the slices on the toaster oven's rack? I know it's a silly question, but this group could answer it. Thanks in advance.
Skip the toaster oven if that's all you need it for. Put cold pizza in non-stick frying pan (do not add oil or fat) on low heat on top of stove. Cover with lid. Hang out on computer, read an interesting magazine article, play in the back yard with the dog, watch half an episode of The Big Bang Theory, or whatever for a bit. Don't rush this. Low heat with a cover will re-crisp the crust and melt the cheese. Takes a bit of trial and error balancing crisp crust and melted cheese, but worth the wait.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

redrocker wrote:I've been very happy with my Euro Pro, which I've had at least a decade. It has supplanted my conventional oven for most tasks and gets used daily.
+1, same here, over a decade old, think it was a wedding gift, still cooking, no problems.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
blgaarder

Post by blgaarder »

We have had the previous generation of this for several years.

Convection, cooks a 14 inch pizza.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Oster-Design ... n/13729291
Young Fellow

Post by Young Fellow »

ThankYouJack wrote:After about 8 years of solid use, my toaster over is tripping the GFCI and I can now only use it in my garage on a 20A outlet. So I need a new one that I'll use it for toast (things like 1 english muffin to as many that fit in there) and of course as an oven. Are they all basically the same or are there any features that make some worthwhile over others? Any recommendations?
We use Black Decker Toast R oven, since for over 10 years for all our toasting, warming, probably bought under $30. Ours is a stainless steel with great looks on countertop and works great.
sport

Post by sport »

You don't want to put pizza on the rack because the cheese could drip onto the heating elements and make a general mess. You can either use the pan that comes with the oven or aluminum foil. Foil makes the cleanup easier.
letsgobobby

deleted

Post by letsgobobby »

deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool »

Huge fan of the big breville. The "bagel" setting is perfect for toasting hamburger buns, the convection works great, and it will fit a full size frozen pizza. Got ours at BB&B. We're using the conventional oven far, far less now. Also does a great job of toasting. It's the only toaster oven I've seen that effectively adjusts toasting time based on the beginning temperature of the unit.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I'm bumping this 2017 thread, as it was the most relevant to what I'm looking for.

I came home the other day to find that my toaster oven had died while I was away. It was a very basic (cheap) model, more than a few years old.

The replacement had 2 requirements:
- an oven light (I was sorry the cheaper model didn't have one)
- fit my Pullman bread pan (I was worried about the height)

Based on the recommendations of this thread, I purchased the Breville Smart Oven® Pro. This exact model was not listed on Amazon, so I went with my best local supplier - Bed, Bath & Beyond.

The Bed, Bath & Beyond price was the same as Breville, but I had a secret weapon - a 20% discount coupon. :)

A very short time later, the new purchase was up and running. Wow, what a difference. This is as close to a real oven as you can get. It's larger than the prior model and has a very well thought-out front panel.

I also like the door magnets which pull the wire shelf out when the door is opened (need a magnet that works at high temperature). The user manual calls this the "Magnetic Auto-Eject Rack" - love the marketing terms.

The oven also gives you audible alerts when it reaches temperature and when it's done.

The oven light turns on 30 S before the timer goes to 0.

Testing:
- Toast - pass
- No-knead bread in my Pullman pan - pass (details are here: Re: What have you baked recently?)

Note: The built-in timer doesn't start its countdown until the oven reaches temperature. I noted a 5 minute difference for my bread. IOW, it took 5 minutes before the countdown timer started. I'll adjust the timer accordingly, as my previous cooking time was from room temperature.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:13 pm I'm bumping this 2017 thread, as it was the most relevant to what I'm looking for.

I came home the other day to find that my toaster oven had died while I was away. It was a very basic (cheap) model, more than a few years old.

Based on the recommendations of this thread, I purchased the Breville Smart Oven® Pro. This exact model was not listed on Amazon, so I went with my best local supplier - Bed, Bath & Beyond.

The Bed, Bath & Beyond price was the same as Breville, but I had a secret weapon - a 20% discount coupon. :)

A very short time later, the new purchase was up and running. Wow, what a difference. This is as close to a real oven as you can get. It's larger than the prior model and has a very well thought-out front panel.

I also like the door magnets which pull the wire shelf out when the door is opened (need a magnet that works at high temperature). The user manual calls this the "Magnetic Auto-Eject Rack" - love the marketing terms.

The oven also gives you audible alerts when it reaches temperature and when it's done.

Testing:
- Toast - pass
- No-knead bread in my Pullman pan - pass (details are here: Re: What have you baked recently?)

Note: The built-in timer doesn't start its countdown until the oven reaches temperature. I noted a 5 minute difference for my bread. IOW, it took 5 minutes before the countdown timer started. I'll adjust the timer accordingly, as my previous cooking time was from room temperature.
Good to know. I went with a ~$100 model that works fine but the UI could be better. I'll probably splurge next time
Cranberry

Post by Cranberry »

AAA: The exclusions all apply if you order yourself online. If you buy at the store, they honor the coupons for almost everything listed as an exclusion. If the product is not available in the store, the customer service desk will place the order for you and honor the coupon.
dsmil

Post by dsmil »

I've had the same Cuisinart convection toaster oven for 12 years and it's great.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:13 pm I'm bumping this 2017 thread, as it was the most relevant to what I'm looking for.

Testing:
- Toast - pass

We have an extra large Oster Convection oven. Criteria was capacity. It had to fit a certain covered pan that we use.
This looks like a great unit.
Now thinking of upgrading what we have.

Thanks for the link!
j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Another very happy Brevilleer here. I have had the mini for a few years and it's the best toaster oven I've ever had. You might want an oven rack pusher/puller if you don't use tongs or mitts much, I use mine occasionally. I thought the "A Bit More" button was just a gimmic, but it's actually really handy when the timer comes up a bit short of done, including for toast, which varies tremendously depending on the moisture content of the bread.
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

I bought the larger Breville during Amazon's "sale".
It's the best toaster oven I've ever had.
I don't use the oven in my apartment (actually store stuff in there).
This bakes, toasts, and works very well with pizza.

The newer models link to your cell phone, but in my small place
it's not really needed.
One demerit -- my model has no interior light. A small inconvenience
but a surprise when everything else was done so well.
caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore »

Our Breville Smart Oven is one of the best purchases we’ve ever made. We use it several times a day and it’s replaced not just the toaster but has practically replaced our oven.

We used one for five years before a prong on the electrical cord broke off. I called Breville to see about buying a replacement cord. The rep said it wasn’t something they sell but we could send it in for repair at no charge. Two weeks later we received a brand new oven. Amazing customer service.

They’re really a different animal from the standard toaster oven. Years ago I initially balked at the price, but it’s paid for itself many times over. It not only toasts but maintains an accurate temperature for cooking nearly anything. I love it.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I'm very happy with my Breville Smart Oven. I don't know if this is the case for other brands, but toasting homemade bread appears to be a challenge.

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:16 pm Toast. Yes, toast.

I've never been happy with the toast from my Breville Smart Oven Pro. Even at the highest setting, the bread would not turn brown enough where I'd call it "done".

The oven instructions say to put the toast on the middle rack - which is centered between the top and bottom heating elements.

I finally tried putting the bread in the top rack, closest to the upper element. It worked!

It turns out that the oven does commercial bread perfectly in the middle rack, but couldn't handle my homemade no-knead bread. Homemade bread is much denser than the commercial stuff (and tastes quite a bit better). All I needed was more heat to penetrate the dense surface.

I tried broiling, which only turns on the upper element, but the underside wasn't done. So, toast on the upper rack. A setting of 6 slices, darkness = 6 will do it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:02 pm I'm very happy with my Breville Smart Oven. I don't know if this is the case for other brands, but toasting homemade bread appears to be a challenge.

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:16 pm Toast. Yes, toast.

I've never been happy with the toast from my Breville Smart Oven Pro. Even at the highest setting, the bread would not turn brown enough where I'd call it "done".

The oven instructions say to put the toast on the middle rack - which is centered between the top and bottom heating elements.

I finally tried putting the bread in the top rack, closest to the upper element. It worked!

It turns out that the oven does commercial bread perfectly in the middle rack, but couldn't handle my homemade no-knead bread. Homemade bread is much denser than the commercial stuff (and tastes quite a bit better). All I needed was more heat to penetrate the dense surface.

I tried broiling, which only turns on the upper element, but the underside wasn't done. So, toast on the upper rack. A setting of 6 slices, darkness = 6 will do it.
+1
I also like my Breville Smart Oven. I use it more for baking but it works very well for toasting bagels (unlike my current toaster which burns them if not monitored closely.)
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

We have the smaller Breville, bought a couple of years ago.

It is pretty darn good, except for one thing: It doesn't toast both sides equally. I need to flip the bread half way through. It is not a matter of the bottom elements being dirty as it was this way from day 1.

My wife won't hear of replacing it as she is perfectly happy with toast that is underdone on one side! Me, I'm a toast connoisseur! I am also a wife connoisseur so live with the compromise.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
capper

Post by capper »

+1 Breville
Too frugal to consider a $200 toaster for myself. Stumbled onto 3 well used Brevilles at Salvation Army. Bought the one that seemed in the best shape and cleaned the heck out of it. It's been great.
So good we bought a brand new one for FIL as a splurge gift.
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

Just bought a Panasonic Flash Xpress. I like it so far. It is the highest rated small oven on Wirecutter, probably due to its lower price. I paid $100.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-b ... ster-oven/
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

We bought a Panasonic Flash Express for our condo back in January. Then we paid $112 on Amazon; its now unavailable in our stainless steel choice or $137 as available. Like it a lot.

Back at our house we just bought a Breville Mini-Smart at the end of March for $160 at Bed Bath Beyond (BBB excludes Breville from its 20% coupon). Like it a lot too.

The cooking box inside dimensions in both are essentially the same size. The Panasonic has its electronics on the bottom, so its higher on the outside; the Breville has electronics on the side, so its wider on the outside. So same size cooking compartment but different overall dimensions.

Panasonic has a light inside, helpful; rack doesn't move. Simple set of instructions and controls. Less fine control of temperature but its still good for us. Does it all well.

Breville does not have a light, annoying; rack has to be moved to one of three slots for various operations. The instruction book is voluminous! Too much detail and repetition. You can easily skim the book and wing it, it's mostly intuitive. Lots of fine control, etc. Toasts a bit better than the Panasonic.

Either is a great buy.