How High is Your TV?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
maxq

How High is Your TV?

Post by maxq »

I finally got around to replacing a 36" 200+ pound Sony tube TV (no takers at $0 on Craigslist; no takers at $20; multiple responses at $50) with a nice 55" LG widescreen. For now, I just moved the coffee table against the wall to have something to stand it on. Its only about 16" high though and seems a bit low to watch. Because of the various cable boxes and things, I don't want to wall mount it. It seems many folks mount TVs above the fireplace, but it seems odd to me to have to look that high to watch. On the other hand, a lot of stands I see in stores seem to be about 20" or less. The old stand for the old tube TV was probably about 18" high, but it just seems this larger TV needs to be at a somewhat greater height. The little feet that came with the TV add about 2". I saw some mounts on Amazon that attach to the mounting brackets on the TV that would allow some variations in height above the stand. So, what stand height/TV height :confused do you find ideal for casual viewing from normal couches and recliners? :-? :confused
student

Re: How High is Your TV?

Post by student »

maxq wrote:I finally got around to replacing a 36" 200+ pound Sony tube TV (no takers at $0 on Craigslist; no takers at $20; multiple responses at $50) with a nice 55" LG widescreen. For now, I just moved the coffee table against the wall to have something to stand it on. Its only about 16" high though and seems a bit low to watch. Because of the various cable boxes and things, I don't want to wall mount it. It seems many folks mount TVs above the fireplace, but it seems odd to me to have to look that high to watch. On the other hand, a lot of stands I see in stores seem to be about 20" or less. The old stand for the old tube TV was probably about 18" high, but it just seems this larger TV needs to be at a somewhat greater height. The little feet that came with the TV add about 2". I saw some mounts on Amazon that attach to the mounting brackets on the TV that would allow some variations in height above the stand. So, what stand height/TV height :confused do you find ideal for casual viewing from normal couches and recliners? :-? :confused
I guess it depends on how you watch tv. To me, the simple answer is eye level without tilting your head.
Bob B

Post by Bob B »

A 10 second Google search produced this article. Read it and your question will be answered.
https://www.cnet.com/news/how-high-shou ... s-mailbag/
Regards, | Bob | Wiki
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

We have a 58" set mounted on our den wall, with the center of the screen just about 4 feet above the floor. Just the right height for watching from a den chair or the couch.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

When we switched to a flat panel TV, we bought a new stand for it; it is about 20 inches high. With our 60" TV, it works well as the center of the screen is approximately eye level when sitting. I too do not like looking up at TVs mounted high above a fireplace for example.

There are stands you can buy that also have mounting brackets such that you can raise the level of the TV above the top of the stand - i.e., the TV is suspended above the stand rather than sitting on it and you can use the stand for items such as gaming consoles, DVD players, etc.

I would go to either an electronics store or a furniture store and see what options you have. We got a very nice stand at Best Buy on sale for a little over $100, so they don't have to cost a fortune.
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

smartinwate wrote:We have a 58" set mounted on our den wall, with the center of the screen just about 4 feet above the floor. Just the right height for watching from a den chair or the couch.
BTW, was the set you just got rid off one of those backbreaker Sony HDTV sets? We had one of those in the workplace when HDTV first started up, it took six of us to pick it up and put it in place in one of the offices. Congratulations on unloading the dinosaur.
Longtermgrowth

Post by Longtermgrowth »

I have a similar size TV on a 20" high table. The TV's stand brings the height of the bottom of the screen 23.5" from the floor while sitting on this table.

I wouldn't want it a hair lower than this, especially while reclining. It could be a bit higher without being bothersome, but I find that while sitting in a comfortable position, my eye level is around the middle of the screen, which I like.
mancich

Post by mancich »

I would put it so that the bottom of the screen is about 6" higher than your straight on vision level from the sofa or chair from where you will be watching it most. Don't put it over your fireplace, it usually looks unnatural and depending on how far you sit from it, tilting your head up will get old quickly. :beer
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Our TV is sitting on a built-in desk in the game room with a minimal stand that came with the TV. The desk height is about the same height as the tables in the dining room and kitchen or a desk in any office. Center of TV is about 5 inches above my seated eye level. The bottom of the TV is about a foot below my seated eye-level. The top of the TV is just at my eye level when I stand next to it. Seems perfect to me without much thought going into it.
Last edited by livesoft on Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 »

Your eyes should line up with approximately 1/3 up form the bottom of the screen. That is optimal.
mortfree

Post by mortfree »

I have a 52" and 60" wall mounted.

I placed the bottom of the tv at 36" from the floor.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

Center of the screen at eye level when watching is ideal.

(I can't understand the over-the-fireplace mounting for several reasons.)
c078342

Post by c078342 »

Vertical center is about 6" above eye level -- works for us at about 8' viewing distance. 60" flat screen. I originally want to mount over the fireplace but my wife thankfully talked me out of this.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

The center of my 55 inch LCD is 58 inches from the floor. It is tilted so it "points" right at my eye level when I am seated in my regular position. I think I would be happier if it was about 8-10 inches lower, but it is sorta OK the way it is. I'm not in the mood for remounting it!

This all depends on your seating position, both height and distance from the screen.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

Center of the screen should be at eye level when you are seated and viewing the screen. A little bit up or down will not make much of a difference. I also find the "above the fireplace" position uncomfortable to watch.
daveatca

Too high, but

Post by daveatca »

56 inches.
Right where the builder put the niche (indent) in the wall above the fireplace.
Not a lot of options for us.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

It sits on a cabinet that is maybe 3.5 feet high, if you are sitting on the couch it is generally straight at eye level.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

tim1999 wrote:It sits on a cabinet that is maybe 3.5 feet high, if you are sitting on the couch it is generally straight at eye level.
Same.
Loik098

Post by Loik098 »

maxq wrote:Its only about 16" high though and seems a bit low to watch. Because of the various cable boxes and things, I don't want to wall mount it.
Not sure if you'd completely ruled out mounting it, but we mounted ours. I wanted to point out that you can mount televisions so they actually look good, and not have ugly cords showing everywhere and boxes you have no where to put:

1) The mounting brackets on the back of the TV allow for easy attachment of the cable box with bungee cords. We have also attached our router to the back of the TV.
2) Mounting bracket allows us to pull the TV out from the wall, turn the TV, and tilt it up and down.
3) We have all of our cords go through the wall, using a grommet kit we bought at Home Depot. Cords then attach to the boxes on the back of the TV.
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

On top of our TV stand, about eye level.

I do not understand wall mounting, We have need of peripherals, there are wires. I can't figure out the advantage to wall mounting when you'll still have to set your stuff somewhere.

kjvm
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

Above fireplace. Was initially worried about the heigh, but not a problem. It turns out my eyes are moveable!

JT
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Like most others, I keep mine at eye level while sitting on the couch.

But something else you should buy, if you're not going to mount it to the wall, is an earthquake strap to attach the TV to the entertainment stand. Unlike the hulking CRT TVs, which have enough weight to stay in place unless really tipped over by a kid or pet, flat panels can tip easily. Secure it to the stand at a minimum. If you're worried about the entire stand + TV tipping over on a pet or kid, you can get straps that also secure the stand to the wall.
Steven in NC

Post by Steven in NC »

This is strictly a personal choice. I had the same decision a few years back and finally took a piece of cardboard the size of my tv (60") and taped it to my wall until I got it just like I wanted it. I liked it a little higher than most of the online articles suggested.
Smorgasbord

Post by Smorgasbord »

Mine is over the fireplace that my wife and I never use. It's height is less than ideal, but after about a month we got used to it.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Our TV stand is 20" high and the TV itself has a 3" stand. Then our TV has a 3" border before the actual illuminated screen begins. So 20+3+3 inches. These dimensions work well for us.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Our's is at eye level when sitting on the couch. I took the vintage cabinet from a big enclosed 1960's TV (similar to this one, but nicer)... http://www.myrepurposedlife.com/wp-cont ... abinet.jpg and repurposed it for my HDTV. Reinforced the top to hold extra weight, put in shelves for the various boxes, and put on a back. It's 28" high.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Toons

Post by Toons »

In the living area I sit in a lazyboy recliner.
The bottom of the 50" Tv is 26" from the floor on a stand.
When viewing,I am either 11 ft(when upright)or 12.5 feet away from TV(reclined position :happy )

In the bedroom The base of the 26 inch tv is 54" from the base of the floor.
The bed is a full 32" off the floor.
I am always 11.5 feet away as I am always in the lying down position :D

Wall mount
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G ... UTF8&psc=1
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

bertilak wrote:The center of my 55 inch LCD is 58 inches from the floor. It is tilted so it "points" right at my eye level when I am seated in my regular position. I think I would be happier if it was about 8-10 inches lower, but it is sorta OK the way it is. I'm not in the mood for remounting it!

This all depends on your seating position, both height and distance from the screen.
I agree with this comment. Our 52" tv eye level is 58" inches from ground. My seated eye level is about 45". Based upon article this is too high. My favorite chair is 16' from the screen, so slight upward angle is not too bad. If I were much closer to tv, it would be a problem.
BHUser27

Post by BHUser27 »

In addition to comments already provided... If at all possible, have two people hold the TV at the planned mounting height and angle and make sure no room lights are reflected to the most common viewer seating positions.
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

kjvmartin wrote:On top of our TV stand, about eye level.

I do not understand wall mounting, We have need of peripherals, there are wires. I can't figure out the advantage to wall mounting when you'll still have to set your stuff somewhere.

kjvm
Its all personal preference. I finally wall mounted mine after many years of not having it wall mounted. It actually looks a lot cleaner without the tv stand.

The big advantage is now my center channel speaker can sit below my TV on my entertainment center instead of having to mount it above the tv.
As for the wires many people run them inside the wall. I opted for a small run of wiremold raceway which I then painted to match the wall.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Most people mount tvs too high. Why would you want to look up at something? I guess if you are the type that likes to sit in the first row at the movie theater...

I mount mine so the bottom of the tv is 25-35" from the floor. Basically to clear any arms on sofas and so the middle of the tv is eye level when sitting. I often lay on the couch to watch tv so it works well for that too.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

One is slightly below eye level, the other sitting on a fireplace. Neither bothers my neck. I bought a wall mount for the fireplace tv but am too lazy to put it up.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

I'm with most others who indicated at eye level from where you're watching (recliner or couch). We had ours wall mounted and there is one HDMI cord that runs from the TV to the receiver, and from there to the cable box, dvd, etc.

We had Best Buy install, and I asked them about the high up / over fire place mounting. They said they always suggest against this as a lot of people don't like it after it's installed that way.
batpot

Post by batpot »

Centered on the wall.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

Above the fireplace. I prefer the TV a little higher than eye level and I like the clean look.
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Living room: on a stand -- a bit above eye level if seated; perfect if reclining.

Bedroom: on a stand with a center channel speaker underneath -- about two feet above eye level if seated on loveseat but perfect if reclining in loveseat; also easily viewed from bed if desired, which is rare.

Other two: in cabinets -- eye level when seated.
beastykato

Post by beastykato »

My 55" is mounted with the BASE of the TV at eye level and then the rest of the TV is above your head. When you sit in a chair, at least when we sit on our couch we lean back a little and the TV is usually tilt adjustable as well so you can angle it down at you.
soc2003

Post by soc2003 »

My TV is mounted on the wall 4 feet from the floor. I would have preferred it lower at around 3 feet, but I have a young child and did not to risk him doing damage.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

adamthesmythe wrote:Center of the screen at eye level when watching is ideal.

(I can't understand the over-the-fireplace mounting for several reasons.)
That's what ours is (center of TV is at eye level)! Very satisfied. I agree...that is probably ideal.
brennok

Post by brennok »

The center of the screen is about a foot above eye level.

If I sit on the couch I am looking ever so slightly up, but at my desk I am straight on. The up angle doesn't bother me since usually when I went to the theater to watch a movie I would sit a row or two below center.
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

batpot wrote:Centered on the wall.
This made me laugh. The correct OCD response. (Perfectly centered between the floor and ceiling, and equidistant from left and right wall corners.)
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
deanbrew

Post by deanbrew »

Above the fireplace or high on a wall is OK, so long as you are sitting far enough back you don't need to crane your neck. Also, if you mount it higher than the height of your head while sitting on your viewing chair, you should angle the TV downward. TVs tend to be pretty forgiving with sideway angles, but you won't see a good picture if you are looking from above or below the screen. So, if the TV is mounted high, the top should be farther from the wall than the bottom, so the screen is perpendicular to the direction of your gaze. If people are mounting TVs above the fireplace without angling them down, they are doing it wrong.

But to answer the question, the bottom of my TV is 31" off the floor, but I have it angled downward so the top is 1.5" farther from the wall than the bottom.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson