Recommendations for home paper shredder

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Swansea

Recommendations for home paper shredder

Post by Swansea » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:47 am

I would appreciate any recommendations/feedback on purchasing a home paper shredder. I am interested in a multi-page machine. It would receive periodic use, such as old tax returns, old financial statements, but not heavy use.

ClevrChico

Re: Recommendations for home paper shredder

Post by ClevrChico » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:52 am

I had a somewhat pricey home shredder that broke too soon. I didn't want to waste money on another one, so I changed most everything to electronic, and periodically burn the remainder on my BBQ grill. :D

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:00 am

I have one of these.

http://www.staples.com/OMNITECH-14-SHEE ... ct_1051112

The cross cut produces confetti instead of strips. (Nobody will tape that back together . :D )

Note: Today (January 14) is the last day of the sale if you're interested.

edit: Looking at the reviews I see some people don't like it. All I can say is I haven't had any problems with mine, and I've had it over a year.
Last edited by cheese_breath on Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

ram

Post by ram » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:02 am

My 'OfficeMax' branded shredder purchased for about $50-60 has been running well for the last 5 yrs. Shreds about 500-1000 pages /yr.
About 7 or 8 pages only at one go. The slot accepts more but then it gets stuck.
Ram

AAA

Post by AAA » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:05 am

I bought a 15-page shredder at Staples a few months ago - it was on sale at a significant discount. I'd look around for something like that. No point to give the model # as those things change frequently. I find the 10 or 15-page ones are convenient for getting the job done quickly. We have a small wastebasket where we collect things to be shredded and occasionally I'll put the contents through the shredder. A useful feature is a reverse position on the switch, to help clear things out if you put too much in. And a big basket so you don't have to empty it too frequently.

The confetti shredders are more secure than the strip ones, although who in their right mind would want to piece even those together?
Last edited by AAA on Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ged

Post by Ged » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:05 am

About a year ago I purchased this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q3 ... UTF8&psc=1

I am very happy with it. It's a bit more elaborate than the typical home shredder but it has worked out very well for me. I've used all of it's functions including shredding CDs and credit cards. Because of the 17 sheet thickness capacity I can often shred mail without opening the letter.

I particularly like the fact it has a 20 minute run time before cool down is needed.

One of my best purchases in the recent past.

Hint: you don't need to buy fancy shredder oil or lubrication sheets. Just use a few drops of Canola oil every time you change the bag which isn't that often because the bin is a good large size.
Last edited by Ged on Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

TomP10

Post by TomP10 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:11 am

I got a Fellowes shredder, Model 89ci.

Rather than focus on specific models or brands, think about what features you want.

* number of pages you can shred at a time
* ease of jam removal (which means how easy to put it into reverse)
* does it shred CDs?
* does it have a removable bin or do you need to remove the motor (top piece) to empty.

I've gone through a number of shredders over the years. I would recommend spending a bit more to get a heavier duty model. Also, the model I went with has a removable bin. SUPER convenient. I will never buy a another shredder than does not have that feature (hopefully I'll never buy another shredder!).
"It is remarkable how much long term advantage people like us have gotten by trying to be consistently not stupid, instead of trying to be very intelligent." -- Charlie Munger

Beth*

Post by Beth* » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:36 am

They're not that expensive and whatever you buy probably won't last forever. I would go to Office Depot or Staples or a similar store, see what the options are, and buy one that fits your needs. That's what I did a few years ago and I've been satisfied with my purchase. I wouldn't over-think this! It's not like buying a car or a house or even a new desk chair. It's an inexpensive purchase and there are lots of decent models out there, all of which will adequately shred paper and all of which will eventually break.

evestor

Post by evestor » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:43 am

I've bought a bunch over the years and have found that with my use the <$50 models last ~2 years while the ~$100 models last much longer.
I'm ~18 months post purchase of a ~$100 model at Costco and it is working a-ok.

The big flaw is likely that I am impatient and stuff too much in to the units. And a $100 model can tolerate it far better than a $50 can.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:46 am

I have purchased several for use by an organization I manage (part time). Generally not heavy use, but I recommend spending a little more for the crosscut.

fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:55 am

I just got this one.....had it for a week or so. It has a great rating and so far I am very happy with it. Gave it a good workout this past week!

I've had a few "inexpensive" ones in the past and they didn't last.

Will shred:
*credit cards
*CD's
* 12 sheet with small staples

It has caster wheels so it is easy to move around.

CABob

Post by CABob » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:43 pm

I have had a Royal VF 880 for about 4 years and have been happy with it. It may have been discontinued but I'm sure there is one similar available. It cost about $50. Reviews (Amazon and others) have not been great. It claims to be an 8 sheet shredder but to me anything over 3 sheets seem to be a big load. It will take CD's and credit cards.
Bob

btenny

Post by btenny » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:46 pm

I have a Aurora model confetti shredder that I have used for 10 years or so. It takes 3 pages or so at a time. I use it a little. But mostly we burn our paper.

For the last 5 years or so I have burned most of my sensitive paper in my backyard Chiminea. See below. We set up a fire in the back yard about 3-4 times a year for fun and then we just burn the paper along with a few sticks of wood. It takes about a hour to burn a whole box of paper. Much faster than a shredder and I can burn those plastic labels and plastic stuff that my shredder does not do. Plus the fire is nice on a cool afternoon or early evening.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/37-in-Clay-K ... /207015046

Good Luck.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:50 pm

I have a Fellowes MS-450cs shredder that I have gotten many years of enjoyment from.

http://www.fellowes.com/us/en/Products/ ... US-3245001

Some of the details I like is that it makes confetti, shreds through staples, CD's, old credit cards and the such.
Does a handful of paper at a time.
Has a protective circuit on it to prevent it from overheating. Back when I first got it and had sacks of stuff to shred, I could go continuously for twenty minutes or so before it tripped and then would have to wait for fifteen minutes for it to cool down to start in again.
Has a built in bin which makes emptying it a breeze. The heads stays in place on the body.
Comes with small casters on the bottom so it rolls underneath my desk out of sight when not in use.

topper1296

Post by topper1296 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:58 pm

I bought a heavier duty model at an office supply store years ago and it is still going strong. I'd suggest passing on the "personal use" models and spending the extra to get the "commercial use" model.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:02 pm

I've had a few shredders over the years, but the current one is the best, but that's survivorship bias, isn't it? :)

It's a Dynex DX-PS10MC

Features:

Shreds multiple pages simultaneously without jamming. This is very important because it means that mail (with folded letters) can be shredded without opening.

Shreds plastic and card stock with ease. Credit cards can be shredded just like paper into confetti.

The flakes are about 1/8" by 3/8" in size (confetti). Some shredders have smaller flakes (say 1/16" by 1/4") , but those flakes stick in the shredding mechanism and cause jams. I think that's the key to trouble-free operation from a cheap shredder.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

BIGal

Post by BIGal » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:20 pm

I agree to avoid cheap shredders....unless you like to replace them often. I bought a Fellows cross cut shredder at Staples several years ago and have been very satisfied with the performance....if I recall, it was around $200....I maintain it with the recommended lubrication as needed. I scan almost everything (Fujitsu, scansnap 1x500) then shred originals....of course I keep backups of data....have one 4 drawer file cabinet of paperwork that I feel necessary to have hard copies...everything else goes...

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:29 pm

Another idea: save stuff up in a box. Once every few months (or more) we take ours to the Center for Redcycling where we can use, for free, a heavy duty shredder. Or, our credit union, also has such a service. A[April 20th I go with a huge stack, basically year-old stuff from our "records retention" plan. I have a light duty shredder bought ages ago, which I use rarely.

Bogel0048

Post by Bogel0048 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:50 pm

This is my current shredder:

https://www.amazon.com/Fellowes-Powersh ... r-mr-title

It works great. I highly recommend it. Our first shredder was a $48 model that always jammed and overheated. This one just keeps going!

mouses

Post by mouses » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:57 pm

I have this one -

http://www.staples.com/Staples-8-Sheet- ... uct_917640

My only complaint is that the area that detects you've put paper into it is only a few inches wide, so you have to think about where you feed it in.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:06 pm

I decided against buying a shredder, because then we would have another device taking up floor space. I have accumulated two shopping bags full of old files and will burn them in our barbecue outside in early spring.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:27 pm

We purchased a very low cost (and on sale shredder) from Staples a few years ago. It feels like they never last and we do not use it hard. This shredder has cross reading instead of straight cut. Sometime I do feel that when this one breaks I may not replace.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!"

Rodc

Post by Rodc » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:01 pm

Virtually any shredder is going to work fine for you as you are asking for light duty use. Go to Staples and buy what is on sale.

I would get a cross shredder if you are going to bother.

Or as someone notes, just burn once in a while in the fireplace or BBQ.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.

tfb

Post by tfb » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:10 pm

cheese_breath wrote:I have one of these.

The cross cut produces confetti instead of strips. (Nobody will tape that back together . :D )

Note: Today (January 14) is the last day of the sale if you're interested.

edit: Looking at the reviews I see some people don't like it. All I can say is I haven't had any problems with mine, and I've had it over a year.
I also have an Omnitech cross-cut. I think for only $20 this model will work just fine for the OP.
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.

FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:17 pm

I own a Staples shredder, serial # XPL-TXC8A. I use it just like you say you would like to use yours. It's rugged and only gets clogged up if you try to feed it too thick a load of paper at one time.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

mpsz

Post by mpsz » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:18 pm

Ged wrote:About a year ago I purchased this:

I am very happy with it. It's a bit more elaborate than the typical home shredder but it has worked out very well for me. I've used all of it's functions including shredding CDs and credit cards. Because of the 17 sheet thickness capacity I can often shred mail without opening the letter.

I particularly like the fact it has a 20 minute run time before cool down is needed.

Hint: you don't need to buy fancy shredder oil or lubrication sheets. Just use a few drops of Canola oil every time you change the bag which isn't that often because the bin is a good large size.
+1 for that Amazon-branded shredder. I have the smaller $70 8-sheet version of that shredder, still with the micro-cut size. I shred EVERY piece of mail that comes in my home (obviously not magazines, newspapers, etc -- but everything else) and it's held up for 4 years running.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:53 pm

mpsz wrote:

[…]
+1 for that Amazon-branded shredder. I have the smaller $70 8-sheet version of that shredder, still with the micro-cut size.[…]
At (5/32 by 15/32 inches) it is not really a micro-cut compared to other shredders. The large size of the confetti does mean that it won't jam the mechanism though.

JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:29 pm

We have a 6-year old Royal HD1400MX 14-page cross-cut shredder we purchased from Costco for $90. It's by far the best shredder of the 3 or 4 we have owned. I would buy another like it if it ever quits.

We do avoid putting anything with glue (such as post-it notes) through it. Glued-on gobs of paper shreds get stuck to the cutters.
JW
Last edited by JW-Retired on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired at Last

NorCalDad

Post by NorCalDad » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:42 pm

RudyS wrote:Another idea: save stuff up in a box. Once every few months (or more) we take ours to the Center for Redcycling where we can use, for free, a heavy duty shredder. Or, our credit union, also has such a service. A[April 20th I go with a huge stack, basically year-old stuff from our "records retention" plan. I have a light duty shredder bought ages ago, which I use rarely.
Agree with this. I just cleared out a ton of files from my closet, including tax returns from a decade ago. I then started looking to buy the best shredder I could find. Then I realized that this made no sense, especially since part of my cleaning binge has been an effort to reduce stuff. Almost all of my files/bills are now electronic, so I don't accumulate much shredding material anymore.

Several places around where I live will shred a banker's box worth of paper for about $8. They say I don't have to remove staples. There are also free shredding events every so often.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:56 pm

"We have a 6-year old Royal HD1400MX 14-page cross-cut shredder we purchased from Costco for $90. It's by far the best shredder of the 3 or 4 we have owed. I would buy another like it if it ever quits."

Yes- bay far eth best as it is heavy enough to take 6-8 pages easily and lasts years and years. We use ours for both work and home and it has done at least 20 file boxes worth of paper and shows no sign of stopping. Already had the ones that are challenged by more than 2 sheets and they are slow and jam constantly.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:08 pm

My brother and his wife bought me this Amazon shredder about a month ago. So far, it works just fine.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-12- ... t+shredder
Gordon

Ged

Post by Ged » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:41 pm

livesoft wrote:
mpsz wrote:

[…]
+1 for that Amazon-branded shredder. I have the smaller $70 8-sheet version of that shredder, still with the micro-cut size.[…]
At (5/32 by 15/32 inches) it is not really a micro-cut compared to other shredders. The large size of the confetti does mean that it won't jam the mechanism though.
It also doesn't fly around as much as the smaller cut sizes when changing bags.

Strider

Post by Strider » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:31 pm

AAA wrote: "The confetti shredders are more secure than the strip ones, although who in their right mind would want to piece even those together?"

Actually, I remember an episode of The X-Files in which Fox Mulder did exactly that, viz., retrieved paper strips from a shredder, placed them in the correct alignment, taped them together, and showed up for a meeting with the document in-hand.

Strider

badbreath

Post by badbreath » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:13 pm

I have the Fellowes HD-10cS does a great job
“While money can’t buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” Groucho Marx

PaddyMac

Post by PaddyMac » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:26 pm

I once bought a cheap one that overheated after a few pages...

A few years ago I bought the Fellowes model that Costco was selling and it's fantastic; I shred sheets of cardboard with it weekly for my worm bins. I do use the little oiler regularly too.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:03 am

I bought a Fellows 77-C model years ago. They probably do not make that model anymore. It works great for paper (multiple sheets up to about 10 or so) and credit cards. It was a good purchase.

MandyT

Post by MandyT » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:06 am

I have a WM675XB--the brand name is Aurora, though that's not obvious from looking at the unit or the packaging (it's online and in the manual, though). It's currently on sale at Walmart.com for $24.88. I've been happy with it. I used to have a shredder that jammed a lot, and I don't think it was cross-cut. This one has been trouble-free and serves my purposes. It takes up to 6 pages or 1 credit card.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:18 am

cheese_breath wrote:I have one of these.

Note: Today (January 14) is the last day of the sale if you're interested.....
Looks like the sale has been extended to January 21.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:20 am

Swansea wrote:I would appreciate any recommendations/feedback on purchasing a home paper shredder. I am interested in a multi-page machine. It would receive periodic use, such as old tax returns, old financial statements, but not heavy use.
I have a kinda cheap one that works ok, issue in the long run when sitting and shredding piles of old papers is finding an efficient way to collect all the shreddings.

Ended up using an old, tall kitchen garbage can and putting one of them black Hefty garbage bags in it so the shreds to right inside.

Looks like many/most newer units come attached to a bin, but many look small so more useful for light duty shredding I guess.

Edit: looked at the link above

looks nice if one is shredding only a few papers, but for a stack of files you'd be emptying the bin every 10 mins?

Edit edit: reviews on that aren't so good

https://www.amazon.com/Omnitech-14-shee ... B00QSIUCME
Last edited by F150HD on Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:33 am

Ged wrote:
where specifically do you put the oil?

Ged

Post by Ged » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:41 pm

F150HD wrote: where specifically do you put the oil?
Into the paper feed in the top. Basically an eyedropper full distributed along the metal feeders.

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:50 pm

My current shredder is too small/slow for your requirements, but I do have a shredder mounting suggestion.

Shredder mounting suggestion. My shredder is in my garage and mounted through a hole in a shelf above my trash barrel. Meaning it's incredibly easy to use as all of the chaff falls into the trash for easy disposal---never need to empty a shredder basket.

I use to have a larger shredder and the shelf hole was sized for it. When it died and I bought a smaller shredder (to save money), I mounted the smaller shredder through a piece of quarter inch plywood and put it over the larger shelf hole. Meaning I can adapt this idea for different shredders.

If I have a lot to shred and little time, I store the documents on the shredder shelf and am reminded to shred a little when I walk by.

Junk mail processing. My mail slot is through a garage door and received mail drops into a basket hanging from "L" brackets attached to the garage door. When I receive mail, any junk mail is immediately shredded---never makes it into the house.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:54 pm

F150HD wrote:
Ged wrote:
Watch the youtube videos on this. :)

I've not oiled my shredder in over 3 years of use.

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:10 am

livesoft wrote:
F150HD wrote:
Ged wrote:
Watch the youtube videos on this. :)

Instructions in operator's manual and depend upon shredder. My last one said "oil" (light oil "X" across width of sheet of paper), current one says "don't oil". Guessing I've used current shredder ~10 years.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:56 am

Ged wrote:
F150HD wrote: where specifically do you put the oil?
Into the paper feed in the top. Basically an eyedropper full distributed along the metal feeders.
ah, kinda like lubricating an electric shaver. I have Wahl shaver and lubricate that every few months. This must be similar. Thx.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:58 am

livesoft wrote: Watch the youtube videos on this. :)

lol, will do, I have an old beater one, never had much use for it until I grabbed a bunch of old college papers/mailings from years back, they ALL have my SS# on it, so, routinely shredding gobs of old papers now to be rid of them.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:34 pm

I've had the slightly smaller 12-sheet version for three years this week, and am still quite pleased with it. I've previously killed both a Fellowes and OfficeMax brand, this one is still going strong. It is slower than both of those due to the micro-cut (roughly 1/8 x 1/2 in.), but I think that's a fair tradeoff. The only negative thing I can say about it is that the power LED is way too bright--it actually makes a passable nightlight in my office. But you're really splitting hairs at that point.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:38 pm

likegarden wrote:I decided against buying a shredder, because then we would have another device taking up floor space. I have accumulated two shopping bags full of old files and will burn them in our barbecue outside in early spring.
And where do you store said bags? :P

Dutch

Post by Dutch » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:33 pm

I have a wood stove

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:41 pm

lazydavid, those two shopping bags are somewhere in our house over winter.