downhill skiing

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
sarahjane

downhill skiing

Post by sarahjane » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:23 pm

At what age did you give up downhill skiing? I'm 76.

livesoft

Re: downhill skiing

Post by livesoft » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:24 pm

I was about 26, but my Austrian ski instructor Max was 86 and still going strong.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:29 pm

I started when I was 9, raced, taught ballet skiing when it was just starting to be a thing, had a jump at a friend's house where we did aerobatics in the early 70's, then a motorcycle accident made it near impossible to ski. Oh, I worked at a ski shop and ski area rental shop during and after high school too. I used to be big into mogul skiing and shenanigans that would have my teen friends and me chased all over the mountain by the ski patrol. Oh....I worked as a ski patrol for a while too to get free skiing and a free hamburger.

I've gone once or twice with one of my sons, taking it very easy as he snowboarded.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:30 pm

I would imagine it is a very personal decision. The potential for injury is higher the older you get, but if you are healthy and can afford it I see no reason to stop at a certain age.

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:30 pm

12?
few year gap, then...
switched to snowboarding :mrgreen:

jchris

Post by jchris » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:36 pm

I gave it up when I was 29 (I am 52 now), and took up snowboarding. So I have not skied in 23 years, but I snowboard every winter. Skiing was fun, but as I advanced I found that I needed to go fast to really have fun, and the moguls were tough on the knees. In snowboarding, you don't need to go as fast to have fun. But, alas, I would not try to take it up for the first time at 76. There are too many hard falls in the snowboard learning curve for someone in their 70's, in my opinion. Probably I'd stick with skiing, but I would avoid hard, icy terrain if I were you. One bad fall at your age could easily be life-changing (true at any age I guess but more so as we get into our later years).

scottyja

Post by scottyja » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:38 pm

I think technology improvements in the skis and bindings have made the sport safer and more accessible. I have a neighbor in his mid-80's that skis a couple of times a week all season long.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:13 pm

sarahjane wrote:At what age did you give up downhill skiing? I'm 76.
humblebrag... :D

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:16 pm

I think ex-President Gerald Ford had his second total knee replacement in his mid-80s. He asked his surgeon, "When can I get back to skiing?" Reply: "You've skied enough." Don't think he skied after that.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

Snowjob

Post by Snowjob » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:21 pm

I know a few 85 year old's that were up skiing my way last weekend

Erwin

Post by Erwin » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:29 pm

I am 68, ski every year. I just spent a small fortune upgrading my ski equipment, including a very light Columbia Titanium jacket. In 10 days I will spend 1 week skiing in Maribel, France.
Erwin

Rodc

Post by Rodc » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:33 pm

I am a relative youngster at 60. Rode up a lift with some guy way older than I am who said he skis every day.

I'll add my own humble brag. Skied all day with four teen boys whose only idea was too ski top to bottom as fast as possible, and I only kept up on about half the runs, sometimes they had to wait 30 seconds at the bottom because I am slowing down.

Well almost all day with the boys, the one teen girl was the only one who would ski the black diamond mogul runs with me. She was twice as fast, but kind enough to wait for me at the bottom without complaint.

This was a group of scouts. In Feb we are going to Switzerland to ski, ice climb and such. There is an old and large scout camp there so the cost is even not too bad.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:33 pm

Why would I ever give up downhill skiing. I'm not going to stop until old age forces me to.

btenny

Post by btenny » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:41 pm

There is no age limit for skiing if you a have the will power and love the sport. Yes you slow down and ski more carefully. But no one I know has stopped skiing due to age. My wife and I still ski every year for 20-30 days. We are over 70. Many of our friends are over 70, two others are over 80 and one friend is 94 and they all ski a lot. This is our fit as friends. Many of these people have steel knees or steel hips but are still going strong. In fact the 94 year old guy skis about 100 days a winter. One or two guys ski all day but most of us only ski 2-3 hours. That seems to be enough fun. But most of us still ski the black diamonds and powder stashes and have a ball. I love to ski the trees when we have good snow. I can still ski the moguls but not as well due to slow reactions.

And yes many of us worked at the ski hill into our 60-70s. I taught skiing into my 60s. It is fun time and the clear air and views are wonderful.

Good Luck.

Rodc

Post by Rodc » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:00 pm

btenny wrote:There is no age limit for skiing if you a have the will power and love the sport. Yes you slow down and ski more carefully. But no one I know has stopped skiing due to age. My wife and I still ski every year for 20-30 days. We are over 70. Many of our friends are over 70, two others are over 80 and one friend is 94 and they all ski a lot. This is our fit as friends. Many of these people have steel knees or steel hips but are still going strong. In fact the 94 year old guy skis about 100 days a winter. One or two guys ski all day but most of us only ski 2-3 hours. That seems to be enough fun. But most of us still ski the black diamonds and powder stashes and have a ball. I love to ski the trees when we have good snow. I can still ski the moguls but not as well due to slow reactions.

And yes many of us worked at the ski hill into our 60-70s. I taught skiing into my 60s. It is fun time and the clear air and views are wonderful.

Good Luck.
Good for you and your friends!

I sure would love to be skiing at 94! Two or three hours would be dandy!

:sharebeer
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.

btenny

Post by btenny » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:54 pm

Rodc My 94 year old friend is really quite a guy. He is sort of a local institution. He was a POW twice during WWII and after by the Germans and then the Russians. Then he came to America as he says and life got wonderful. He is just a happy guy who loves to hike an ski and have fun. He loves life in general. He got married again at 92 by a ship Captain. As I said he really has will power.

Good Luck.

jbuzolich

Post by jbuzolich » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:42 pm

Gave up when the lift tickets got to be more than $40 and I had to buy my own. Just too much hassle now and effort to park and carry the gear. Wife's begging to dump my skis and get them out of the corner of the garage.

jasper

Post by jasper » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:47 pm

Yes it is expensive but if that isn't an impediment I would recommend to keep with it as long as you physically can. Your body will let you know when it is enough. Good for the spirit, body, and mind

Out here in CO I meet lots of octogenarians on the slopes. They seem to be having the most fun (or more likely appreciation) from what I can tell. As a doctor it makes me smile when I hear this, no worries about potential physical problems. You gotta live

Keeps you young!!

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:18 am

I don't intend to stop skiing at a certain age, but there are plenty of medical conditions that might force me to.

If lift tickets have you down you can look into the alternatives- ski touring (cheaper) and cat/heli skiing (more expensive).
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

SittingOnTheFence

Post by SittingOnTheFence » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:47 am

I'm in my late 60's. I loved skiing but gave it up around 20's yrs ago when, after a bad fall - my 3rd in 25 yrs on the slopes, I realized that if I had a similar fall in the future I might not be able to work for 4 mo's or so and did not want to take the financial risk if that happened.

Now that I am retired, I cannot use the above excuse. Now it's price of entry, the huge crowds, and the realization that a fall would have an even more catastrophic effect on my body than 20 yrs ago. My knees & other joints just aren't up to it.

I know plenty of people my age & older who ski. I wish them well.

Paul K

Post by Paul K » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:51 am

Here, 70+ patrons get fantastic rates. $15 instead of $75 for a day pass. Season passes practically given away.

I have about 4 decades to go but I sure hope to take advantage of that.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:29 am

sarahjane wrote:At what age did you give up downhill skiing? I'm 76.
It is determined by your health and attitude not chronological age.

Good genes, healthy and active lifestyle, you can do this for a very long time.

A colleague, who was badly injured in a car crash at 19, finally had to have a new titanium knee put in after the old repairs no longer worked, and he has given up in his early 60s.

Kosmo

Post by Kosmo » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:05 am

My dad is 68 and he goes skiing at least once a week. He has no intentions of giving it up. My mom stopped about 15 years ago.

Rodc

Post by Rodc » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:30 am

White Coat Investor wrote: If lift tickets have you down you can look into the alternatives- ski touring (cheaper) and cat/heli skiing (more expensive).
Yes. Years ago in graduate school price got to be too much, and the crowds were no fun either. Was living in Boulder. Picked up used back-country gear and headed into the hills.

btenny

Post by btenny » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:39 am

Skiing has gotten cheap in recent years. Vail and Heavenly and many ski resorts now sell Season Passes for $400ish. The key is to buy a local season pass. My wife and I pay $349 each for our Tahoe Value season pass. This lets us ski every day for the whole season for about $800. Plus we rent a locker at the base so we store our gear at the hill for easy access. So we only spend about $60 a day for both of us to ski 20 days. I see that as a real bargain. But we live near the resort so we don't spend anything for housing. But lots of people who live the bay area and Sacramento also buy season ski passes. They ski maybe 10 days locally for the same amount. Season passes in Salt Lake are similar.

So if you want to ski go for it and enjoy it. It is a cheap fun sport. Where else can you get that clear air and fun exercise? Just be careful and ski a little slower and wear your helmet.

Good Luck.

halfnine

Post by halfnine » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:41 pm

Rodc wrote:
White Coat Investor wrote: If lift tickets have you down you can look into the alternatives- ski touring (cheaper) and cat/heli skiing (more expensive).
Yes. Years ago in graduate school price got to be too much, and the crowds were no fun either. Was living in Boulder. Picked up used back-country gear and headed into the hills.
Used to enjoy back country skiing quite a bit as well but by 1999 even that started to get a bit too crowded for me.

TRC

Post by TRC » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:06 pm

My mom did at 75 because she had a heart attack with me the last time she skied.

goran

Post by goran » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:13 pm

I started skiing at 27, after 3 times switched to snowboarding. :wink: more fun!

Wildebeest

Post by Wildebeest » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:22 pm

I have a season pass and while I used to ski 8 hours, but now when the snow gets cut up, my knees hurt and the next day it hurts to step down to get into my bindings.

I now ski for 4 hours where there is Hero snow and I am done after 3 hours if the snow is fair and 2 hours if the conditions are not to my liking.

Once upon a time I thought that I could be master racer champion but there are so many competitive skiers that the only way I figured I could a champion, would be the only one entering my age group. I figured I would be 95 or 100 to be achieve this.

Who was I competing against? All the people, who died so I would be the only one entering the age group? Or the other 100 year old with more sense than the throw themselves down an icy, steep deathtrap?

Now I wonder if I will be able to successful to navigate a master's race course when I am over 90 when I take my time as I am the only racer in my age group. I doubt I can navigate a master's race course in style now.

I took up snow boarding again, because of my knees. I was proficient once but when I tried to take it up again after 15 years, I sprained my ankle. so I have not been able to get my sprained ankle in my ski boot for the last 2 weeks.

The indignities of age. The wisdom of age that I have no interest in entering any races?

Life is so much better now in so many respects. I am very happy where I am now even while my knees hurt and I sprained my ankle.
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.

JaneyLH

Post by JaneyLH » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:10 pm

I still love skiing st 62, but I've experienced several incidents of people out of control and running into me. This is a much more serious issue for me than my own capability. One incident caused a rotator cuff injury and resulted in surgery and a 6-month recovery. Now I ski only less crowded weekdays, always start early and stop when crowds get worse and snow conditions deteriorate, usually after about 3 hours. Luckily I live close and my season pass only costs about $500. If I had to travel and pay $150/day I'd probably have given up the sport by now.

SpendLess

Post by SpendLess » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:55 pm

My mother with Parkinson's just turned 72 and is reporting she feels better now that the ski conditions are prime and she started skiing again. Gross motor skills like skiing and bike riding help her maintain her mobility.

praxis

Post by praxis » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:23 pm

It's my favorite sport at 67. Wife, 62, who took skiing up as an adult, tore her ACL skiing last Jan. but is determined to go spring skiing this year. She'll wear a brace. I hope we can continue to cruise together forever.

I've lost count of the number of friends, skiers and non-skiers, who have had operations to repair joints.

It is amazing how quick and effective the procedures are. Complete knee replacements are common. George, my neighbor, was in his yard behind a push mower this morning after a complete knee the week before Christmas! George is 78.

Our best (skiing) friends (70 and 65) now have four new knees between them.

btenny

Post by btenny » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:52 pm

Janey and others. There are lots of very good ski instructors who can teach you "defensive skiing". Yes there is such a thing. Ask for a lesson on defensive skiing at your local resort. It is sort of like defensive driving. The ski school will arrange it. You learn to look around for skiers and boarders who are out of control or who are skiing too fast and so forth. Then you take evasive maneuvers to stay out of their way. Sometimes this means skiing faster (or slower) to get away from the bad skiers. Other times it means skiing along the edge of the run where few people ski. Other times it means avoiding certain runs or areas where the boarders play. It also means avoiding bad crowded areas at your resort. And sometimes this means staying in the lodge on really crowded days. And some days it means going to special secluded areas at the resort known only to the instructors and locals. A lot of it is common sense and it does take some work but doing things to prevent collisions is a must to stay safe.

I learned how to defensive ski as a instructor. It was a must to survive. I spent all day 5-7 days a week on the hill so the odds stacked up until I learned what to look out for. This also allows you to protect your clients. People get really mad when someone runs them over and they get hurt and have to spend their vacation setting in the lodge. So good instructors work hard keeping people safe.

Good Luck.