Bonded Leather [Office chair]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
sport

Bonded Leather [Office chair]

Post by sport » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:26 pm

I have an office chair that is covered with bonded leather. The chair is about 5 years old. The leather has started to deteriorate and is coming off the chair in little pieces. It is like having brown snowflakes in the house, and they keep coming. Is there anything that can be done to stop the leather from peeling, short of replacing the chair?

barnaclebob

Re: Bonded Leather

Post by barnaclebob » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:37 pm

I think you are SOL. Don't buy cheap bonded leather for longevity.

happyisland

Post by happyisland » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:47 pm

barnaclebob wrote:I think you are SOL. Don't buy cheap bonded leather for longevity.
+1 I learned my lesson about bonded leather the hard way too. That stuff is GARBAGE.

sport

Post by sport » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:57 pm

Well, at least I did not pay much for the chair. However, it is very comfortable.

Ged

Post by Ged » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:57 pm

From Wikipedia:

Bonded leather, also called reconstituted leather or blended leather, is a term used for a manufactured upholstery material which contains animal hide. It is made as a layered structure of a fiber or paper backer, a pulp made from shredded leather, and a polyurethane coating which is embossed with a leather-like texture.

It is literally the lowest quality material that can be labelled as leather in the United States.

Here is an article from Consumer Affairs that describes the issues with trying to repair it:

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/ ... rence.html

sport

Post by sport » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:06 pm

I do not want to repair it. That would be hopeless. I would just like to stop the peeling.

margered

Post by margered » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:35 pm

Have an upholsterer recover the chair in your choice of real leather or fabric.

sport

Post by sport » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:39 pm

margered wrote:Have an upholsterer recover the chair in your choice of real leather or fabric.
Thanks, that would certainly work. However, I expect that would cost 3 to 4 times the price of a new chair. I have had upholstery work done, and it is only worthwhile for good furniture.

Carson

Post by Carson » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:11 am

I had a bonded leather couch and chair as 'filler' furniture when we first moved in. It started to deteriorate and things went terrible.

I settled on a sure-fit slipcover on it for awhile, but then the peeling started escaping from underneath the slipcover!

I always wondered if I took it outside and sprayed it down with water-based polyurethane if it would have done any good to stop the peeling. Probably would have still needed a furniture cover but maybe it would have lasted.
30-something personal finance enthusiast, just get getting started on this whole portfolio thing.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:51 am

You can patch a tear in bonded leather but if there are large areas of flaking you have to either put up with the flaking, re-upholster the chair, or buy a new one. You might contact the manufacturer to check on the warranty or availability of replacement upholstery. A few office chairs are easy to reupholster yourself, like some dining chairs are, by simply removing the seat and stapling on new fabric.

If you use the chair a lot, consider paying up and getting a really good one as it is more comfortable and the annual cost of ownership is less than buying and replacing inexpensive chairs. Manufacturers like Herman Miller and Steelcase have excellent warranties that will cover reupholstery. I had my Herman Miller chair recovered at no expense in the last year of the warranty and it included pickup and delivery. It was almost ten or twelve years old, can't remember which.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:26 pm

As the others have said, either have it reupholstered or replace it. The bonded leather used in office chairs is usually very low quality (all bonded leather is low quality, but the commodity products like office chairs are often really low quality). Once the backing starts to peel away, it's pretty much toast.

That said, I just bought another bonded leather office chair on Black Friday sale when it was sub-$100. I could pay more and keep it for longer, but with cats around, their claws do a number on chairs anyways. I just plan on replacing them every so often.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:50 pm

sport wrote:I do not want to repair it. That would be hopeless. I would just like to stop the peeling.
Wrap it with duct tape!

TRC

Post by TRC » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:07 pm

We had a bonded leather ottoman that fell apart shortly after we bought it. We really liked the piece, so we had it re-upholstered.

plantingourpennies

Post by plantingourpennies » Fri May 18, 2018 5:43 am

[Spam post removed by admin LadyGeek]
This is probably Spam :(

But! I never turn down an opportunity to post about Vimes' boots, from books by the sci-fi author Terry Prachet.
“The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money.

Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.

But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.

This was the Captain Samuel Vimes 'Boots' theory of socioeconomic unfairness.”
Sometimes it's ok to buy things of a higher quality...even as a Boglehead.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Fri May 18, 2018 6:25 am

lthenderson wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:50 pm
sport wrote:I do not want to repair it. That would be hopeless. I would just like to stop the peeling.
Wrap it with duct tape!
Exactly what I was going to suggest. Wrap it in duct tape then put a cover over the chair. Done.

Of course I wouldn’t bother with all that aggrivation...I’d just buy a new non leather chair.

sport

Re: Bonded Leather [Office chair]

Post by sport » Fri May 18, 2018 10:13 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 6:25 am
I’d just buy a new non leather chair.
That is what I did, a year and a half ago.

GulfCoast

Post by GulfCoast » Fri May 18, 2018 10:34 am

lthenderson wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:50 pm
Wrap it with duct tape!
Ha, that's what I did to my relatively cheap, but comforatble bonded leather office chair. The complete bottom and part of the back now has a layer of brown duct tape, that matches the original color decent. I mean, you can still tell it's tape and everything. But it's in my office/den so who cares.

Scrapr

Post by Scrapr » Fri May 18, 2018 11:51 am

sport wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:13 am
Jags4186 wrote:
Yeah, me too. (not #metoo) For 27 years I have had leather office chairs. One at home office & one in regular office. They last 2-4 years. With 2 chairs it felt like I was always looking for a chair. Finally Last year I got a mesh surface chair. It's comfortable and good enough. Bam! Done

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Fri May 18, 2018 11:56 am

sport wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:13 am
Jags4186 wrote:
Hah! I did not notice your original time stamp.