Anyone else having trouble with unrequested CVS auto-refills?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Anyone else having trouble with unrequested CVS auto-refills?

Postby nisiprius » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:49 am

I've never knowingly asked for auto-refill. They always ask me, I always say "no." Two days ago I got a robocall saying my prescription was due for refill, did I want to refill it? After doing a reality check and counting over thirty pills left of my ninety-day supply, I pressed "two for 'no.'"

Today I got a call saying "your prescription is ready for pickup." I called to say "Wha? Huh?" and they said "it's on auto-refill."

Is that just an isolated event or is that happening to other CVS customers? (I.e. is it just a mistake or are job incentives encouraging creative misunderstanding of the phrase "no, thanks?")

This is definitely not the first time something like this has happened but I haven't kept records.

It's a trivial annoyance, no big problem, they just say "OK, sorry, we'll just take it back." As they should.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

sport

Re: Anyone else having trouble with unrequested CVS auto-refills?

Postby sport » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:54 am

I have had the same thing happen at CVS. Sometimes, I would go to the store to pick up an Rx and there would be a second one that was also ready for pickup. Due to insurance requirements, I had to leave CVS. I requested that they cancel all auto-refills so that they would not interfere with insurance coverage at my new pharmacy. Perhaps there is some incentive for CVS employees to "sign you up" for this service, whether or not you request it. Something like Wells Fargo. :annoyed

animule

Postby animule » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:58 am

Wow. I thought I was the only one. I have a prescription with them where I split pills and take the split pill every other day, which means you cannot do the "auto refill." I have told them a bunch of times to stop doing it, and I still get texts and phone calls pestering me to refill it. It seems like their computer system will not take no for an answer.

On top of that, I had an out-of-the-blue missed cell phone call from one of their pharmacists the other day. I had not refilled the prescription in a while, but was preparing to call them for a refill. Something fishy is going on with these guys.

TheTimeLord

Postby TheTimeLord » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:00 pm

nisiprius wrote:I've never knowingly asked for auto-refill. They always ask me, I always say "no." Two days ago I got a robocall saying my prescription was due for refill, did I want to refill it? After doing a reality check and counting over thirty pills left of my ninety-day supply, I pressed "two for 'no.'"

Today I got a call saying "your prescription is ready for pickup." I called to say "Wha? Huh?" and they said "it's on auto-refill."

Is that just an isolated event or is that happening to other CVS customers? (I.e. is it just a mistake or are job incentives encouraging creative misunderstanding of the phrase "no, thanks?")

This is definitely not the first time something like this has happened but I haven't kept records.

It's a trivial annoyance, no big problem, they just say "OK, sorry, we'll just take it back." As they should.

What's the issue here, if you don't pick it up in a few days they return the pills to stock and you aren't charged and your prescriptions aren't reduced. Both CVS and Walgreen's do this and I always appreciate the reminder. You don't want your refill waiting until you are down to a couple pills.
Run, You Clever Boy! | AA 37.21/62.79 as of 01/14/2017

Pops1860

Postby Pops1860 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:04 pm

Similar experiences to yours, but agree this is trivial, CVS always just 'takes the order back.'

Our perception (disclaimer - we do not seriously track this) is the first new prescription we submit, CVS apparently has 'auto-refill' as the default. We discover this as you do, and sometimes it is corrected by responding to the phone options. We always make a point to 'double check' with someone at the counter next time we pick up a prescription. Several times, the CVS rep at the counter suggested that the CVS software is slow at updating these inputs. Has never happened again (for that prescription) after counter double check.

You are not alone. But, as you said, trivial in the big scheme of things.

sport

Postby sport » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:06 pm

animule wrote:Wow. I thought I was the only one. I have a prescription with them where I split pills and take the split pill every other day, which means you cannot do the "auto refill." I have told them a bunch of times to stop doing it, and I still get texts and phone calls pestering me to refill it. It seems like their computer system will not take no for an answer.

On top of that, I had an out-of-the-blue missed cell phone call from one of their pharmacists the other day. I had not refilled the prescription in a while, but was preparing to call them for a refill. Something fishy is going on with these guys.

The phone calls are a different problem. I got those as well. However, with the phone calls, they do not refill the Rx unless you ask them to. The auto-fill procedure takes place without any input from the customer. I believe that CVS wants to do the refills on their own schedule, to fill in times when the pharmacist is not so busy. If they wait until you call, they have less freedom to schedule their work.

jimb_fromATL
Location: Atlanta area & Piedmont Triad NC and Interstate 85 in between.

Postby jimb_fromATL » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:07 pm

We have the same problem. Despite repeated requests that they only refill when we ask for it, and despite continual promises to change, we still get automated calls about automated refills. We've been thinking about moving our business to a different nearby CVS, but it sounds like it may not just be specific to the store we're using.

True, they do put the product back into stock, but when you have several prescriptions, getting multiple automated phone calls gets to be irritating. One reason we want to ask is because we are sometimes in another state and will be refilling it at another CVS where we happen to be. Plus in my wife's case, her doctor is experimenting with results from various types of meds and dosages, so a refill would not be appropriate on those drugs anyway.

Yet another problem is that it is important to check online to see what your out-of-pocket cost should be under your drug plan. I'd say that about one out of four times I go to pick up a refill or new drug, they will ask for a larger co-pay than my insurance requires. They will correct it, but it is time consuming, and can be costly if not double-checked.

jimb

Rupert

Postby Rupert » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:14 pm

CVS has huge problems. My BCBS plan just dropped them entirely as a preferred provider. They, along with at least 13 other BCBS plans, have just partnered, via their affiliate Prime Therapeutics, with Walgreens.

Jack FFR1846

Postby Jack FFR1846 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:19 pm

We've hit our out of pocket max (doesn't reset till May) so went on auto-refill with CVS since all prescriptions are now $0. We have opposite problem. We used to get the reminder phone calls all the time (which we just ignore). Now that we're on auto refill, no more calls and they don't refill anything unless we call them. I have to think that there's some software programmer who flipped a bit somewhere.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

rustymutt

Postby rustymutt » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:22 pm

Yes, and I've ask them 3 times to stop it. Must be an automatic thing. Last time I threatened to go to Walgreens, and haven't gotten one yet.
Not crazy about CVS. Long wait times in the store for pickup.
Knowledge is knowing that the Tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing better than to put the tomato in a fruit salad.

matjen

Postby matjen » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:30 pm

I'm having the same issue. Finally succumbed to repeated requests by my Doctor to get on the lowest dose Statin and now I have to suffer from CVS calls over and over. :annoyed
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.

delamer

Postby delamer » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:46 pm

My husband had the same problem. Talking with staff at the store in-person finally put an end to it.

Aside from the general annoyance of all the phone calls, when you have multiple prescriptions getting a call that "your prescription is ready" without any more information just isn't helpful.

The Wizard

Postby The Wizard » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:54 pm

I blocked their calls on my cell phone, so I get text message reminders which aren't quite so bad.
But yes, I opt out of auto refill as best I can, partly due to extended travel where I pick up refills elsewhere: Hawaii, Texas, California, and Missouri, for instance...
Attempted new signature...

Grt2bOutdoors

Postby Grt2bOutdoors » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:18 pm

I had the prescription mailed to my home after I had already picked up the prescription at the retail store. I could not believe it.
"Luck is not a strategy" Asking Portfolio Questions

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Postby nisiprius » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:53 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:...You don't want your refill waiting until you are down to a couple pills...
It wasn't just a reminder. It was a refill I hadn't ordered (to the best of my recollection). And I guess you missed the part where I mentioned that there were more than thirty pills left in the bottle. I don't object to an accurate reminder.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

celia

Postby celia » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:40 pm

We left CVS a year ago due to a change in our Medicare Drug Plan. We think when you have multiple meds, each on a different pick-up cycle this can be annoying since a phone call doesn't tell you if it is for an Rx you are low on or not.

We were using mail order and turned on auto refill which was nice since your low Rx suddenly appeared in the mail one day. It was not so nice when the doctor changes a med and the old one keeps arriving when you forgot to notify them. A discontinued Rx arrived one day after we left on a 5 week vacation. We tried to reurn it but they would only take it back for 30 days. So we were out $100 or $200 and then changed everything to store pick-up. At least if we forgot to cancel refills on a discontinued Rx again, we won't have to pay for it since we won't pick it up.

I wonder if the auto-refill feature has amything to do with Target pharmacies merging into CVS. Target would have tons of prescriptions and moving them en masse to CVS may have reset some digital switches???

likegarden

Postby likegarden » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:56 pm

We have CVS Caremark via internet and get no auto refills, also no phone calls. I call for another 90 day statin refill when I am low in pills.

TheTimeLord

Postby TheTimeLord » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:38 pm

nisiprius wrote:
TheTimeLord wrote:...You don't want your refill waiting until you are down to a couple pills...
It wasn't just a reminder. It was a refill I hadn't ordered (to the best of my recollection). And I guess you missed the part where I mentioned that there were more than thirty pills left in the bottle. I don't object to an accurate reminder.

Yes, I understood they had a fulled refill for you but if you don't pick it up nothing happens and you can go in later and they will fill it.
Run, You Clever Boy! | AA 37.21/62.79 as of 01/14/2017

BrandonBogle

Postby BrandonBogle » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:48 pm

My Rx provider is CVS CareMark, but I can use any pharmacy. That said, it has perks for getting it from CVS, so that is what I do. When I get a new Rx, I just check their website a few days later. I've seen it be hit or miss on getting auto-refill checked, but it does let me change that online. That's how I make sure I'm set how I want it in the end.

That said, even though my perk is that I can pick up a 90-day Rx from a CVS store for the mail-order price, I still have the stuff mail-ordered to me most of the time. It's convenient that they show up without me going out of my way for them. If I was doing in-store pickups (without the mail-order price match), I would probably take the Rxes elsewhere because of the annoyance.

rustymutt

Postby rustymutt » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:53 pm

It's giving me higher blood pressure readings. Thanks CVS! LOL
Knowledge is knowing that the Tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing better than to put the tomato in a fruit salad.

jrtexas

Postby jrtexas » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:00 pm

I never requested this. Yet they call the first of the month with the auto=fils. O well, I'll have a supply for the next earthquake out here.

Pajamas

Postby Pajamas » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:07 pm

Change the phone number they have on file for you to the CVS corporate number, 1-401-765-1500.

rustymutt

Postby rustymutt » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:08 pm

Pajamas wrote:Change the phone number they have on file for you to the CVS corporate number, 1-401-765-1500.

Brillant !

Artsdoctor

Postby Artsdoctor » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:15 pm

nisiprius wrote:I've never knowingly asked for auto-refill. They always ask me, I always say "no." Two days ago I got a robocall saying my prescription was due for refill, did I want to refill it? After doing a reality check and counting over thirty pills left of my ninety-day supply, I pressed "two for 'no.'"

Actually, this is not a trivial annoyance, it is a significant problem. It isn't unique to CVS but it seems to be happening more frequently with them, at least here in Southern California with my own experience.

This is a dangerous problem. You may be fully aware of what you're taking, what's new, what's old, and when there's been a replacement. But there are many, many patients who do not reconcile their medications and assume that when a pharmacy calls, their medication is ready. And they pick it up.

Imagine a common scenario. A patient is on a blood pressure medication but I've changed the dose or the medication altogether. The patient is taking the new medication but then is called with a refill of the older medication. You and I would know to say no, but not everyone is quite as tuned into this, as you can imagine. The old medication is picked up and is now being taken with the new medication.

We no longer prescribe medications by paper or fax; everything is transmitted electronically. With each new medication which is replacing an old medication I write on the prescription "THIS MEDICATION TAKES THE PLACE OF ***. PLEASE DISCONTINUE *** ALTOGETHER." And yet it still continues.

It is even worse when pharmacies deliver (yes, many still do). Patients develop stockpiles of medications.

This is a mess and the consequences are not trivial.
Last edited by Artsdoctor on Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

retiredjg

Postby retiredjg » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:15 pm

Nisi, you are certainly not alone. I get the same calls. I call them and tell them I don't need the Rx just yet. A few days later, I get another call because they were too busy to put it back on the shelf and delete the auto-call on my account.

My aggravations with CVS are a major reason I changed to a different insurance provider this year. The auto calls were not the only problem. There were several mistakes made in my prescriptions - all easily fixed and made whole, but still.... The CVS in my little town is just too busy and I think it is because too many health plans are using CVS Caremark or something similar.

The thing is...if they stopped doing all this unnecessary Rx filling and returning it to the shelf, maybe they would not be so short on time! :annoyed

Already had 2 unwanted calls in January when no meds were needed. I'll be happy to soon have my prescriptions at a local family owned pharmacy instead of CVS.

ResearchMed

Postby ResearchMed » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:22 pm

CVS has been dreadful about this, and more.

We'd get calls and texts, all times day and almost night.
Called to say DO NOT CALL US; WE'LL CALL YOU.
Better for a short time, and it starts all over again.

But when one of us goes to pick up refills, after carefully doing it online or by phone,... there is a huge bag with just about every Rx we'd ever had, usually including some that we rarely need. Most of them were not requested, by phone or online.

And then there is a controlled substance that last month - gasp - came in short (by 50%).
Would they even believe us?? We were both seriously worried.
Thank goodness the in-pharmacy paperwork was not completed properly, and the initials on the part they give us... was not there when it is required to be.
(We didn't always count in the past. But one peek into that bottle, and... obviously too few pills.)
NOW? We'll stand at the counter WITH a pharmacist and we'll all count together.
Interestingly, they said this is *not* uncommon. (Um, just how often are there errors that many people want to do this?)

The staff, including "Pharmacist in charge of this branch" keeps changing (and I don't mean because of work hours).
That is, no one is truly "in charge" about responsibility for what happens there.

Things are seriously out of control, and that's dangerous.
(We've occasionally been given someone else's meds. Aside from HIPAA issues, what if one of us took it by mistake? WE wouldn't, but what about someone else less alert, with poor vision, etc.? Of course, in a few years, that could be us...)

They also fill things too soon.
We end up with more and more "extras" of a few of the meds we take daily.
However, we cannot figure out how this is approved by insurance.
We are now noticing that they may be filling 30 days sometimes, and 90 days another.

Just two days ago, I got an unexpected 90 day refill of a long-term med that was changed last year to XL (long lasting/slow release) a few months ago. I didn't want XL, but the non-XL was being discontinued.
I had already hit the out of pocket max for the year, so I wan't paying attention to cost, because for about half the year, the Rx cost was always zero for me.
Yesterday, in unpacking the bag of little bags... I looked carefully because I wasn't expecting this med.
Still had about a month left from the last refill.

But new year, new out of pocket max to fill up, and I wanted to see which payment tier this med/formulation was...
CVS collected smallcopay from us, as expected....
... and a bit over $3,300.00 from the insurance.
We had NO idea!
The older non-XL formulation had been a tiny fraction of that.
NO WONDER they want to fill that one "often".

I suppose they are squeezed by insurance negotiated prices, so they need to sell more and more... and more...

But still... why is the insurance *paying* for these "too frequent" refills?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

The Wizard

Postby The Wizard » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:24 pm

Revenue Enhancement, that's what we have here...

ResearchMed

Postby ResearchMed » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:27 pm

The Wizard wrote:Revenue Enhancement, that's what we have here...

Yup.

Good gig they've got going.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

retiredjg

Postby retiredjg » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:30 pm

Artsdoctor wrote:This is a mess and the consequences are not trivial.

So this is not just an annoyance. It is a health crisis.

What if you write the prescription "do not put on auto-fill". What would that do?

mrc

Postby mrc » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:39 pm

We had a streak of CVS robo calls reminding us about a couple refills for different drugs. These happened to be one-and-done fills, and the calls eventually stopped. But it took way too long.

Express Scripts has a different MO: They'll send an alert that a refill is due to be processed. So I fill on the website. They say at confirmation that it's too early, but you can go ahead and order and they'll process in a couple days. So I do. Then they snail mail a letter of explanation that they can't fill a script because it's to early. And they don't process in a couple days. I end up short thinking an order is on the way. Sort of a corporate Rx benefit manager head fake. And remember, they contacted me to start with. I have calendar reminders for reordering now, and track orders and shipments like income tax payments now.

I am constantly deselecting or refusing to set auto fill. This happens for both CVS/Caremark and Express Scripts.

I'm liking the revenue theory a lot, along with diminished customer service and back end application development since those cost more when done well.
A great challenge of life: Knowing enough to think you're doing it right, but not enough to know you're doing it wrong. — Neil deGrasse Tyson

Artsdoctor

Postby Artsdoctor » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:47 pm

retiredjg wrote:
Artsdoctor wrote:This is a mess and the consequences are not trivial.

So this is not just an annoyance. It is a health crisis.

What if you write the prescription "do not put on auto-fill". What would that do?

It would all depend on who's filling the prescription. I got involved with going deeper into this when someone had a horrible drug interaction, and I wanted to see exactly what the pharmacist sees on their end when an electronic prescription is sent. Everything was there, but the note was simply ignored.

I'm not sure how to solve this problem other than reiterate to patients how important it is to reconcile medications. Many of my patients know to bring in all of their bottles to an appointment, not just a list (each patient is different, of course). You'd be surprised what turns up.

Medication error and drug interactions are huge, huge deals. This auto-refill thing is just a mess.

Doom&Gloom

Postby Doom&Gloom » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:51 pm

My MIL gets her prescriptions filled/re-filled at CVS, and DW handles everything for her since MIL is visually impaired. Since DW's visits to the local CVS drove her mad with waiting times and widespread ineptitude, the vast majority of her business is now online. DW has enlisted my aid with her online transactions. CVS' website and customer service is an absolute nightmare imo. If it were my account, I would have cut ties years ago. I have repeatedly asked DW to try to convince MIL to move her business to someplace reliable and predictable, but MIL won't even consider it. Of course she won't--she isn't inconvenienced at all; we are.

When I hear DW say, "I need you to do something on mom's CVS account," it sends shivers down my spine. If she adds, "when you have a minute," it just makes me laugh out loud.

The Wizard

Postby The Wizard » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:03 pm

Note: within the last month, CVS has improved their Android app somewhat to only show current prescriptions.
But yes, you need to take charge of this rather than let a team of wild horses drag you around.

I was found to be allergic to one med after several months and got switched to a new one last year. I obviously did not request further refills of the allergic med although I probably could have.
I could drop bricks on my feet too, but I don't...
:)

tim1999

Postby tim1999 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:15 pm

rustymutt wrote:It's giving me higher blood pressure readings. Thanks CVS! LOL

Don't worry, they will auto-refill your high blood pressure medication, if any.

retiredjg

Postby retiredjg » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:21 pm

Artsdoctor wrote: This auto-refill thing is just a mess.

This seems to be a health problem possibly cause by corporate greed. Maybe legislation is the answer.

If neither patients nor physicians requested this "assistance" and if neither almost all patients nor almost all physicians benefit from this "assistance", it should be stopped. At the very least, it should not be allowed to be a default, but only available by request.

A continuation of this nonsense is CVS Caremark's requirement (in my plan) that you can only get two 1 month Rx fillings at any pharmacy you want. After that, there is a very strong financial incentive to do the 3 month deal at CVS. Cost at local pharmacy - $50 for one month. Cost at CVS for 3 months RX - $75. (Made up example but the ratios are not.)

About the middle of month 3 you realize the Rx is not working or you have an adverse reaction to it. So you are left with 2.5 months of meds to dispose of somehow....Since med disposal is already a significant health and environmental issue, this too is a poor idea and should be prohibited.

midareff

Postby midareff » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:25 pm

I szend them a renewal script in the mail and mark it place on file, DO NOT FILL.. and they fill it and send it out anyway as a matter of policy they said.

The Wizard

Postby The Wizard » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:31 pm

midareff wrote:I szend them a renewal script in the mail and mark it place on file, DO NOT FILL.. and they fill it and send it out anyway as a matter of policy they said.

I go in person to do that.
Most recently happened just before I left for a two week trip.
Get the doctor to renew it and I'll refill it out where I am.
Worked fine...

malabargold

Postby malabargold » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:01 pm

Sounds like fodder for a whistleblower

rkhusky

Postby rkhusky » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:00 pm

My prescription co-pays get paid out of my FSA whether I pick them up or not.

sport

Postby sport » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:34 pm

rkhusky wrote:My prescription co-pays get paid out of my FSA whether I pick them up or not.

I would get that changed, if possible. You don't want to pay for something you can't use.

Church Lady

Postby Church Lady » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:02 am

I suddenly started getting phone-stalked by CVS asking me for refills, auto-refills, calling my doctor for refills, you name it. I thought it was just me, but I see they have a problem. I'll try to cancel my auto-fill service. I find it confusing when prescriptions magically appear for no reason.
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity. Ecclesiastes 1:8

rustymutt

Postby rustymutt » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:29 am

Church Lady wrote:I suddenly started getting phone-stalked by CVS asking me for refills, auto-refills, calling my doctor for refills, you name it. I thought it was just me, but I see they have a problem. I'll try to cancel my auto-fill service. I find it confusing when prescriptions magically appear for no reason.

It's the corporate way of easy earnings growth. Marketing drugs.

Van

Postby Van » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:58 am

Same problem. What a nuisance.

rkhusky

Postby rkhusky » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:01 am

sport wrote:
rkhusky wrote:My prescription co-pays get paid out of my FSA whether I pick them up or not.

I would get that changed, if possible. You don't want to pay for something you can't use.

It is actually the opposite. I am getting reimbursed for something I might not pay for (not really since I contribute the funds in the FSA, but I do reap the tax benefits). This is only an issue if I end up not using all the FSA funds in the account beyond the amount that gets transferred to the next year.

knpstr

Postby knpstr » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:38 am

I use Walgreens, do not use auto-refill and I am never asked if I'd like to do it.

:beer
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

Quark

Postby Quark » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:56 am

We just changed insurance plans, so had to transfer a prescription from prior Caremark account (old plan) to new Caremark account (new plan). They said as a result, we couldn't refill the prescription online and they wouldn't be able to auto-refill. We'll see what happens.

Ninavi

Postby Ninavi » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:02 am

knpstr wrote:I use Walgreens, do not use auto-refill and I am never asked if I'd like to do it.

:beer

Walgreens is probably no better.

In 2016 they charged my insurance for flu shot which I never received at Walgreens! I had received my flu shot in 2015 at Walgreens, they simply copied that order for 2016. How cool is that :D

I tried to inform my insurance provider, spent around 1 hour on phone with my insurance, but couldn’t get it corrected. I gave up since i got my flu shot for free at my workplace.

mmmodem

Postby mmmodem » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:05 am

Same thing here with CVS. I thought it was odd as I don't remember asking for auto refill. It doesn't really matter to me. After 2 weeks pass I would get the text saying they will take back the refill if I didn't pick up soon. Contrary to others I love the new system and I get my refill with plenty remaining. The RX that I don't need, I tell me them to take out. Easy peasy.

My last RX, I was driving to CVS after my doctor's appointment. As I pulled into the CVS parking lot, CVS called me to say my prescription was ready but it's expensive and if I wanted to switch to generic. :confused I was puzzled and said I didn't filled out a prescription but I was here to get one filled out. The pharmacist was asking about the same prescription. My doctor had electronically filled It out 15 minutes ago. :beer I love the future.

heyyou

Postby heyyou » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:29 pm

Similar to CVS, Express Scripts sends a ninety day supply just before the prescription ends, then another 90 day supply when you renew.

dratkinson

Postby dratkinson » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:44 pm

I use Express Scripts phone service.

The short answer. Now I like ES: No unwanted refills, and no phone calls except the ones initiated by me to reorder.

The long answer.

In the beginning I was receiving unneeded refills. It took me a while to break the code.

Turn off auto refill. May need to talk to 2-3 humans before that request takes.

Automated phone calls. Don't respond to automated phone calls telling you that a new refill is due.
--If you answer "Yes, send refill now.", the phone calls keep coming.
--If you answer "No, don't send refill now.", the phone calls keep coming.
Lesson learned. Hang up without responding. When I did that---out of frustration---the phone calls stopped.

Lesson learned. Reorder with 1-month remaining on refill. Why? If you wait until 2-weeks remaining and the med is backordered, you will not learn this until the "backordered status" letter arrives---2 weeks later. Then you are scrambling to purchase locally, and local pharmacy must pull your prescription from ES. It's simpler to reorder at 1-month to give time for ES backorder problem to be resolved, or to more gracefully purchase locally.

Lesson learned. ES can request new prescription from doctor. I do like the fact that ES's phone system has the option to allow me to authorize them to fax a renewal prescription to the doctor. I'm sure the doctors appreciate this too as they don't need to do anything but check the prescription is correct, then sign, and have staff fax it back.

Now I like ES. No unwanted refills, and no phone calls except the ones initiated by me to reorder.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

Return to “Personal Consumer Issues”