How to buy things from China?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Caduceus

How to buy things from China?

Post by Caduceus » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:25 am

It seems like most Chinese online vendors don't even use domestic credit cards, so my guess is a U.S. credit card won't work there. I've been doing some reading and it says people use something called "Alipay" - owned by Alibaba.

Anyone ever bought something from an online Chinese vendor? How did you pay? Anyone have Alipay? Is it hard to set up?

AlohaJoe

Re: How to buy things from China?

Post by AlohaJoe » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:34 am

Caduceus wrote:It seems like most Chinese online vendors don't even use domestic credit cards, so my guess is a U.S. credit card won't work there. I've been doing some reading and it says people use something called "Alipay" - owned by Alibaba.

Anyone ever bought something from an online Chinese vendor? How did you pay? Anyone have Alipay? Is it hard to set up?

Yes, I've bought things online from a Chinese vendor, I paid with my credit card. Getting paid a pretty important part of business so they usually make it pretty clear how that part works :happy If they're going to ship something internationally they usually are able to handle international payment methods of some sort.

Do you have any more specific details? Things vary quite a bit from vendor to vendor and marketplace to marketplace.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:38 am

Caduceus wrote:It seems like most Chinese online vendors don't even use domestic credit cards, so my guess is a U.S. credit card won't work there. I've been doing some reading and it says people use something called "Alipay" - owned by Alibaba.

Ebay. Have had several items (small things) stylus for tablet for example. Nothing outside of that.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:21 am

It seems that half the stuff on eBay and Amazon are from China. I can tell because instead of shipping in 2 days (Amazon Prime), it takes a month to get to me. Lots of this stuff isn't obvious until you hit the "buy" button and it estimates arrival date. When something doesn't work correctly, the vendors tend to send a replacement and not require shipping back the purchase. I've mostly bought small things like guitar parts, ink cartridges, key finders and the like.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

TerryDMillerMBA

Post by TerryDMillerMBA » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:34 am

Aliexpress.com

I have never had a real problem. The only problem, if you can call it that, is that some of the vendors don't have someone on staff who translates into English very well, and you have some broken English in the descriptions. 99.999% of the time, that doesn't bother me, because I know the product already.

They have VERY good policies on customer satisfaction, and give partial and full refunds for late deliveries as well as for products that aren't what was advertised.

jazman12

Post by jazman12 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:24 am

ebay uses china vendors but allows paypal financing arrangements. Aliexpress aka alibaba does not accept PP but uses major US credit cards among other payment methods. The only difference in doing business directly with china is that any guarantees are difficult to enforce. Typically you must pay for return shipping to china $$$ in order to be reimbursed for defective merchandise. Also, there is no customer service to speak of if there is a problem with a vendor. Ebay is safer
I use Aliexpress for small purchases only that I can afford to get dinged if there is a problem that can't be resolved. My experience so far has been okay as far as dealing with the vendors.

blennkins90

Post by blennkins90 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:11 pm

Try going to Taobao. That's like the ebay of china, and they also have a US site if I remember correctly.

I lived in China a year ago, and Alipay is like China's version of Paypal. I know people who have bought on Taobao from the US with credit cards.

Just be sure that you use a reputable vendor on Taobao. There are scammers. Best vendors have the diamond emoticons next to the store name.