Turned 30! Women's advice for skin care??

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Leemiller

Re: Turned 30! Women's advice for skin care??

Post by Leemiller » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:41 pm

Laser treatments for the spots worked for me. People kept complimenting me but not quite knowing why - just you look great today....

I'm doing a series next year, not cheap but effective.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:12 am

ResearchMed wrote:
Mudpuppy wrote:
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:So here is a question, does skin care cream ever go bad or expire?
Yes, cream can go bad. This could range from separating to going rancid, depending on the product. Fragrances can also go bad over time, leading to unpleasant odors even if the underlying oils have not gone rancid.
And if you'd previously opened the container and had been scooping out dabs using non-sterile fingers, then you probably introduced a variety of contaminants... and if they sit there in the right temperature/etc., environment, you might not be happy when you open the container again later. :(

RM
I'll have to admit that this possibility makes me reluctant to use creams or lotions that require being scooped out of a container instead of coming in a squeeze tube, squeeze bottle, or pump bottle. I've been known to use alcohol-based hand sanitizer before scooping cream/lotions/ointment out of such containers if the product does not come in any other form.

Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:02 am

I have oily skin, which turns to combo in the winter.

Cleanser: I greatly prefer gels to any other kind of face cleanser. Some suggestions:

- Avon Anew Face Wash gel is decent (and cost-effective!). When I used it, some skin discolorations from acne and/or age spots faded nicely. It also brightened my skin, and I didn't have as much of an issue with dryness in winter months. I believe this has been discontinued, but a friend who sells Avon says it's been reinstated. Note that the gel cleanser is NOT the same as their Anew cream cleanser, which left my skin feeling covered in oily residue.

- Bliss Foaming Face Wash - available on Amazon, Sephora, Ulta. It is a gel, and works really well - but it does use microbeads in its formulation, which has been banned in California, due to intrusion into the reclaimed water supplies. As a result, I feel guilty when I use it, so I had to find another options. :D

- Currently using Alpha Skincare cleanser ($6 for a 12 oz bottle at Ulta). Used to be called Alpha Hydroxy face wash, but they've rebranded it. Does well at cleaning the oil without overdrying, and you can't beat the price.

Moisturizer:

- Oil of Olay Complete All Day Moisturizer SPF15 Sensitive Skin - a 3 pack from Costco is ~ $20. ;) I only use it in the winter, when the skin is dry,

I don't need masks or scrubs, using the alpha hydroxy cleanser - it works as a chemical dermabrasion/peel.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:06 am

Last edited by Lynette on Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
Sophia1884

Post by Sophia1884 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:33 am

Thank you everyone! It's always nice to have folks contribute their experiences- a lot of great information for consideration and to go through. Looks like I need to up my water intake and sleep, focus more on health (duh, just didn't think about it I guess), and to not worry about using the drug store stuff

*husband breathes sign of relief*

I'll check back in another decade or so with results ;)

Shackleton

Post by Shackleton » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:23 am

I spent 10 years (age 22-32) working an outdoor job where I spent 10-12 hours/day 6 days a week in the California sun. Everyday I used Coppertone Sport SPF 30 or higher sunscreen. And not just on the face but on any exposed skin (arms, upper chest.) I am now about to have a "major milestone" birthday and when someone heard they said "wow, you don't look 40." When I told them I was about to turn 50 they were amazed.

Sunscreen and possibly good genes are my first secret, along with staying fit and eating right. But one product I do like is Kiehl's Midnight Oil. It really evens out skin tone. Even my husband uses it occasionally and you can really see the difference.
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton

mouses

Post by mouses » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:30 am

livesoft wrote:
cherijoh wrote:I had a coworker come back from his son's wedding in a very good mood - someone came up to him at the reception and told him "I didn't realize John had a brother!"
My then 18-year-old daughter was not amused to be mistaken as my wife.
That happened to me (I was the daughter.) Very weird.

mouses

Post by mouses » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:34 am

ResearchMed wrote:Amlactin for body skin care.
There seem to be several forms of this. Which are you recommending? Thanks.

TOJ

Post by TOJ » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:35 am

Funny what threads the mods will close vs leave open.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:41 am

Mudpuppy wrote:
ResearchMed wrote:
Mudpuppy wrote:
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:So here is a question, does skin care cream ever go bad or expire?
Yes, cream can go bad. This could range from separating to going rancid, depending on the product. Fragrances can also go bad over time, leading to unpleasant odors even if the underlying oils have not gone rancid.
And if you'd previously opened the container and had been scooping out dabs using non-sterile fingers, then you probably introduced a variety of contaminants... and if they sit there in the right temperature/etc., environment, you might not be happy when you open the container again later. :(

RM
I'll have to admit that this possibility makes me reluctant to use creams or lotions that require being scooped out of a container instead of coming in a squeeze tube, squeeze bottle, or pump bottle. I've been known to use alcohol-based hand sanitizer before scooping cream/lotions/ointment out of such containers if the product does not come in any other form.
Another option is to scoop out the "stuff" with some washable utensil, such as a tiny spoon (demitasse spoon for those who remember them).
Or even keep around a few of the tiny plastic spoons that are used for ice cream shop "tasting".
Any flat metal or plastic implement, such as a dinner knife, would work for most creams.

These aren't typically going to be made sterile, but they shouldn't be introducing quite the amount/types of contaminants on one's hands.

But I agree, it's nicer to have products in squeeze tubes, pump bottles, or with eye droppers in the top (as long as one is careful not to touch the dropper).
For this reason, I usually prefer to get smaller sizes of products, depending upon how much is used, so it won't sit around for a long time.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:05 am

mouses wrote:
ResearchMed wrote:Amlactin for body skin care.
There seem to be several forms of this. Which are you recommending? Thanks.
Sub name is "Alpha-hydroxy therapy" Moisturizing Body Lotion.
Pale lime-ish green pump top (on the little gray top), white almost opaque bottle (flat style, not round cross-section).
Green artistic big "drop" with a plus sign inside, on the front.

Don't use too much the first time, as it can take a short time to get absorbed.
(That's one problem I find with almost all body lotions/potions.)

Okay... I just looked online, and found their 4 products.
I have no idea what the actual difference is, and I'm surprised they don't list "active" and "inactive" ingredients.
I did read over those when I first got this, online with something like Drugstore.com, which doesn't exist anymore.)
(I also had read the reviews, and this version had several mentions of what bothered me most. PM me if you like.)

Another hint for FAST repair of very dry hands:
Get those white cotton gloves (cheap, CVS.com, and washable).
Use the old fashioned Vaseline (a little goes a long way) and put those gloves on immediately (or be sorry!).
In my sleep, I obviously pull the gloves off a some point. Every time, in the morning, huge-to-total improvement.

DH makes Dracula/monster-type hand motions and jokes when I do this. :annoyed

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.