Turned 30! Women's advice for skin care??

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Sophia1884

Turned 30! Women's advice for skin care??

Post by Sophia1884 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:48 am

What is a cost-effective manner of skin care that works for you?

The other day I was looking and the mirror and I realized that I'm actually over 30! After patting myself on the back for being a stable and decent human so far, I decided my skin needs some extra help as I'm beginning to see lines and pigmentation. I've never felt good about spending much money beyond the basics but I feel like now is a time for some concentrated and informed efforts.

There is SOOO much information on-line that I'm at a loss of where to start. I use Cerave cleanser in the AM and PM, Cerave SPF daytime moisturizer, and prescription retinol at night. Apparently there are serums, anti aging eye creams, face creams that add/take away/enhance/zap everything and anything. I don't know what to go with or who to talk to without being sold on whatever. :confused

What is working for YOU?
What do you use? Why?
What is your care regiment?
Do you see it changing in the future? How?
Advice outside of sunscreen use?

Thank you!!
Last edited by Sophia1884 on Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

ponyboy

Re: Turned 30! Women's advice for skin care??

Post by ponyboy » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:41 am

Im not a woman but let me fill you in on a little secret. If you want great skin and to look beautiful forever you need good genes. If thats not hard coded in your dna it doesnt matter what you do...there is nothing that is going to prevent those lines/wrinkles.

When you see cindy crawford on tv looking like she did 30 years ago...do you really think she looks that way because of some cream shes selling/using? Shes part of the .01% that hit the genetic lottery. She was dealt a perfect hand of cards in life when it comes to looks...even with her mole that is famous.

Its like those people who get pregnant and do not have stretch marks...they use whatever that butter cream stuff is and how great it works. No it doesnt...they wouldnt have had to use anything and they wouldnt have had stretch marks.

We're all human...most of us have imperfections...I say own it. Its what makes us unique. Good luck.

I will say that sunscreen use is important. Not for wrinkles...who cares. But to prevent cancer...thats much more important.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:48 am

Good nutrition which supports collagen creation. Otherwise creams make your skin feel better.

Since this isn't financially related maybe a different internet forum would be a better choice.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:55 am

Dottie57 wrote:Good nutrition which supports collagen creation. Otherwise creams make your skin feel better.

Since this isn't financially related maybe a different internet forum would be a better choice.

Let's make it financially related - how to take good care of your skin without breaking the bank! There are some "miracle creams" that cost well over $200 for a little jar that looks smaller than one of baby food. So, let's hear it, what is a cost-effective manner of skin care?
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

goodenyou
Location: Skating to Where the Puck is Going to Be..or on the golf course

Post by goodenyou » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:08 am

Stay out of the sun and never smoke. 2 killers of skin and behaviors that age skin very rapidly.
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" | "The best years you have left are the ones you have right now"

Sophia1884

Post by Sophia1884 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:11 am

ponyboy wrote:Im not a woman but let me fill you in on a little secret. If you want great skin and to look beautiful forever you need good genes. If thats not hard coded in your dna it doesnt matter what you do...there is nothing that is going to prevent those lines/wrinkles.

When you see cindy crawford on tv looking like she did 30 years ago...do you really think she looks that way because of some cream shes selling/using? Shes part of the .01% that hit the genetic lottery. She was dealt a perfect hand of cards in life when it comes to looks...even with her mole that is famous.

Its like those people who get pregnant and do not have stretch marks...they use whatever that butter cream stuff is and how great it works. No it doesnt...they wouldnt have had to use anything and they wouldnt have had stretch marks.

We're all human...most of us have imperfections...I say own it. Its what makes us unique. Good luck.

I will say that sunscreen use is important. Not for wrinkles...who cares. But to prevent cancer...thats much more important.

Ponyboy, your reply made me smile. My husband pretty much said the same thing. It is mostly about genetics...but I think that the bit of it that I can help out, I might as well. I'm not genetically likely to be overweight, but that doesn't mean that I shouldn't try and eat healthily. I'm all in favor of "owning it". However, it's nice to be in a position to feel comfortable financially and age wise to care for my skin in a way that maybe was not necessary 5 yrs ago. There are products with scientific backing that have helped women feel and maybe even look like they want to feel and look. I don't want to recreate the wheel if there are women out there that not only care what products they use but that the products have some substance/evidence behind them.

Sophia1884

Post by Sophia1884 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:14 am

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Dottie57 wrote:Good nutrition which supports collagen creation. Otherwise creams make your skin feel better.

Let's make it financially related - how to take good care of your skin without breaking the bank! There are some "miracle creams" that cost well over $200 for a little jar that looks smaller than one of baby food. So, let's hear it, what is a cost-effective manner of skin care?

Yes! Exactly Grt2bOutdoors, I'll have to go back and clarify. The mainstream products that come up on Google are about $78-$200 for a 1.7 fl oz jar. Surely that's not the only way to go!

Thank you :)

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:17 am

For men only: Grow a beard which will protect your soft rosy baby cheeks from weathering. Then in your 60's when your beard turns white, shave it off and look young again! I was out walking the dog with a friend a mine of about the same age. Another acquaintance walked up and asked me to introduce my dad to him.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

bluejello

Post by bluejello » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:20 am

goodenyou wrote:Stay out of the sun and never smoke. 2 killers of skin and behaviors that age skin very rapidly.

+1

Research has shown that sun is responsible for about 80% of the visible signs of aging: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3790843/

Skip the expensive creams and potions. Wear sunscreen every single day, even on cloudy days. On sunny days when you spend a lot of time outside, add a hat, sunglasses, and long sleeves.

Sophia1884

Post by Sophia1884 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:22 am

livesoft wrote:For men only: Grow a beard which will protect your soft rosy baby cheeks from weathering. Then in your 60's when your beard turns white, shave it off and look young again! I was out walking the dog with a friend a mine of about the same age. Another acquaintance walked up and asked me to introduce my dad to him.

Livesoft, talk about a strategy ;) I'll be passing this on to my husband. Think it'll work the same for women's legs?

carorun

Post by carorun » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:30 am

I also use CeraVe and I've found that sometimes the cheaper products are better than the more expensive ones. When I think about what I spent over the years on Proactiv, Clinique, and other products that didn't work, I get frustrated.

Drink a lot of water and get enough sleep. Cannot emphasize these two enough. Also wear sunscreen. When you look at stars who have aged gracefully, you'll notice they usually have pale-ish skin. Contrast this with women who tan or spend a lot of time outside and you'll see a clear difference.

I started using Differin for acne two years ago and the retin-A has smoothed out my skin more than I could've expected. I used to have the beginnings of crows feet and a line between my eyebrows but those are no more. When I was in my early 20s, people thought I was in my late 20s or 30s. Now I'm in my 30s and people think I'm in my mid-20s. My recent favorite about a year ago was when a stranger told me "you have good skin for being 29".

Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:59 am

I'm 40 and my mom has great skin at 70 and I'm pretty happy with mine as well. I splurge on a facial twice a year, wear bought-at-Costco Oil of Olay with spf everyday, and wash my face with bought-at-the-grocery store Ponds Cold Cream just like Grandma did.

IMO Skin care is more about staying out of the sun (I live in the PNW and don't care for the sun anyway), eating well, and moisturizer. None of that is expensive.

But I will also admit that I spend $200 every six months and Botox between my eyebrows. My husband was against it at first but even he admits i look happier without a permanent scowl.

mac808

Post by mac808 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:05 am

Avoid the sun, don't smoke, and drink lots of water. Nothing else will compare to these three steps (in that order). Besides that, check out Retin A; it's a miracle drug. My dermatologist treats a fair number of A list models and movie stars and says that many of them are on oral accutane around award season as well, but that seems overkill to me unless the paparazzi is following you around with high definition camera lenses.

red_uu

Post by red_uu » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:21 am

carorun wrote:I also use CeraVe and I've found that sometimes the cheaper products are better than the more expensive ones. When I think about what I spent over the years on Proactiv, Clinique, and other products that didn't work, I get frustrated.

Drink a lot of water and get enough sleep. Cannot emphasize these two enough. Also wear sunscreen. When you look at stars who have aged gracefully, you'll notice they usually have pale-ish skin. Contrast this with women who tan or spend a lot of time outside and you'll see a clear difference.

I started using Differin for acne two years ago and the retin-A has smoothed out my skin more than I could've expected. I used to have the beginnings of crows feet and a line between my eyebrows but those are no more. When I was in my early 20s, people thought I was in my late 20s or 30s. Now I'm in my 30s and people think I'm in my mid-20s. My recent favorite about a year ago was when a stranger told me "you have good skin for being 29".

Great advice here. Sunscreen, well-formulated skin products, and not smoking will yield big results.

By the way, if you want to try retinol, Differin recently went on the OTC market - you can get it in drugstores. It is the lower concentration but you can see if it works for you and work your way up to the stronger prescription version.
http://www.allure.com/story/differin-ap ... he-counter

My skin is too sensitive for Retin-A but I love the Trader Joe's moisturizer with retinol - it is also paraben-free and only $6-7 in-store. https://www.amazon.com/Trader-Joes-Oil- ... B007XPCT0O

corysold

Post by corysold » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:25 am

All of my wife's friends are using Rodan and Fields, which is apparently the new big thing? Seems to me it is a MLM scheme, but they all swear by how great it is. It is too much money for my wife to want to use it, but if money isn't the issue it might be worth a look

Sophia1884

Post by Sophia1884 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:28 am

red_uu wrote:
carorun wrote:Great advice here. Sunscreen, well-formulated skin products, and not smoking will yield big results.

Red_uu, what well-formulated skin products are you referring to? Any favorites? I use a prescription retinoid which I think is the same as Retin-A but I'll double check. I'll check out Trader Joe's moisturizer, sounds like a good compromise between moisturizer and retinol.

Sophia1884

Post by Sophia1884 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:32 am

corysold wrote:All of my wife's friends are using Rodan and Fields, which is apparently the new big thing? Seems to me it is a MLM scheme, but they all swear by how great it is. It is too much money for my wife to want to use it, but if money isn't the issue it might be worth a look

Thank you Corysold, yes I've read up on the brand and while the marketing is very good it seems that when reviewed for effectiveness and strength of claims, it underperformed for the price. When I tried to ask around, I found that a lot of people were selling it...so getting honest opinions became a challenge. Still, I would be willing to try if not for the high price and low ratings on some consumer sites.

PoppyA

Post by PoppyA » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:42 am

I'm no beauty queen, but I have never been a fan of putting chemicals on my body, or abusing my hair. My hairdresser always tells me my hair is super healthy. I use shampoo, and once in a while conditioner. When I was a kid, there was no such thing as conditioner. I think it is more of a marketing gimmick than a necessary product.

My Mom is a beauty queen, and I am not sure what she puts on her face, but she is beautiful. She has a whole dresser of stuff. She lives in a small town so I am sure it is stuff you can get at target. The one thing she has done, is eat well her whole life. Protein, two vegetables, and a starch at each meal. Me thinks that has gone a long way for her.

I had a plastic surgeon tell me once nothing can't get rid of wrinkles, though they can be "pumped out" temporarily with moisturizer. He also said dial soap (anti-bac) was good for acne.
Last edited by PoppyA on Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"La Bella Luna"

red_uu

Post by red_uu » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:43 am

Sophia1884 wrote:
red_uu wrote:
carorun wrote:Great advice here. Sunscreen, well-formulated skin products, and not smoking will yield big results.

Red_uu, what well-formulated skin products are you referring to? Any favorites? I use a prescription retinoid which I think is the same as Retin-A but I'll double check. I'll check out Trader Joe's moisturizer, sounds like a good compromise between moisturizer and retinol.

Hi, I mostly use drugstore products. For a long time I've used http://www.paulaschoice.com/beautypedia to get ratings of beauty products. The originator of the website has been writing about skin care and makeup for something like 40 years (her name is Paula Begoun, I think?) and I find that her recommendations work for me.

I use Cetaphil cleaner in the morning and follow it with the Trader Joe's moisturizer before putting on makeup. At night I take off my makeup with Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Cleanser and dab Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair on wrinkle-prone areas - and that's it. If I feel like I need more moisture I use Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti-wrinkle Cream - Night. All three of these moisturizers have retinol and I find that cumulatively they work well for me. I have used prescription retinol and found it way too drying for me, and that combined with the expense made them not worth it.

I have sensitive, dry skin and this protocol works really well for me!

Gropes & Ray

Post by Gropes & Ray » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:56 am

My wife's strategy is to buy 1-3 bottles of creams or lotions or something each month, and then throw them in a box after a few weeks (more than half-full), and then buy a bottle of something else.

MI_bogle

Post by MI_bogle » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:57 am

corysold wrote:All of my wife's friends are using Rodan and Fields, which is apparently the new big thing? Seems to me it is a MLM scheme, but they all swear by how great it is. It is too much money for my wife to want to use it, but if money isn't the issue it might be worth a look

Yes, it is a MLM scheme. They all swear how great it is, because they are also selling it to their friends and family

Sophia1884

Post by Sophia1884 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:03 pm

Gropes & Ray wrote:My wife's strategy is to buy 1-3 bottles of creams or lotions or something each month, and then throw them in a box after a few weeks (more than half-full), and then buy a bottle of something else.

That's the standard it seems and exactly what I'm trying to avoid! This is a type of investment for me so I'd like to make sure there is something of value in it :D

Sophia1884

Post by Sophia1884 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:05 pm

red_uu wrote:
Sophia1884 wrote:
red_uu wrote:

I use Cetaphil cleaner in the morning and follow it with the Trader Joe's moisturizer before putting on makeup. At night I take off my makeup with Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Cleanser and dab Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair on wrinkle-prone areas - and that's it. If I feel like I need more moisture I use Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti-wrinkle Cream - Night. All three of these moisturizers have retinol and I find that cumulatively they work well for me. I have used prescription retinol and found it way too drying for me, and that combined with the expense made them not worth it.

I have sensitive, dry skin and this protocol works really well for me!

Thank you :) Exactly the "tried and works" information I'm looking for. I've check out Paula's choice as well, just trying to narrow down my options before I start purchasing.

Sbashore

Post by Sbashore » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:26 pm

Drink plenty of water.

Get plenty of sleep.

Guard against sun exposure.

Eat a balanced, nutritious diet.
Steve | Semper Fi

sbh8

Post by sbh8 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:28 pm

I agree that wearing sunscreen and moisturizer every day is the best thing you can do for your skin. I started using Paula's Choice line of products last year and I think my skin has been looking better than it used to. I don't find it too expensive either. Paula's Choice frequently runs promos either on their own site or on sites like Nordstrom.

In addition, I think a serum is also a good way to incorporate some extra moisture to help plump up your skin and prevent fine lines. I like Estee Lauder's Advance Night Repair. Estee Lauder runs gift with purchase deals fairly frequently, so I check out beauty blogs like Nouveau Cheap and BeautyDealsBlog.com to check for % off sales or which store the latest gift with purchase deal is located.

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:29 pm

Drink a lot of water every day..
Eat Plenty of vegetables.
Don't smoke.
Try to get enough sleep.
Smile a whole lot everyday.
Manage stress in life effectively.
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

AnonJohn

Post by AnonJohn » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:38 pm

I've seen claims that being a back sleeper helps, since your face isn't smushed for ~8 hrs.

I'd second all the nutrition / sunscreen advice.

For products, I use Olay (mostly for the sunscreen, but I figure the moisturization can't hurt), and a little bit of alcohol-free witch hazel (thayer). I doubt the latter does anything. :)

Post by 2015 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:38 pm

mac808 wrote:Avoid the sun, don't smoke, and drink lots of water. Nothing else will compare to these three steps (in that order). Besides that, check out Retin A; it's a miracle drug. My dermatologist treats a fair number of A list models and movie stars and says that many of them are on oral accutane around award season as well, but that seems overkill to me unless the paparazzi is following you around with high definition camera lenses.

The first line is the best advice. As someone posted above, research has shown the two greatest causes of skin aging are smoking and sun damage. Research has also shown that drinking water hydrates the skin from within, wherein products sit on top of the skin.

I have been using UV A&B sunblock on my face every day since I was 30, do not smoke, and I drink at least ten cups of water daily. My skin looks incredible for my current age of 62. I have been using drug store products on my face for about 10 years after reading a consumers digest report showing no visible difference upon microscopic testing in those and (several times more costly) department store or specialty products.

kamerchick

Post by kamerchick » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:44 pm

As much natural stuff as possible is my ultimate goal. Detoxifying my skin is my priority, both body and face.

For the face, I alternate between simple face water cleanser and Mario Badescu glycolic wash to remove dead skin. I use a cleansing brush to wash my face and always rub against gravity (upward motion). I haven’t found a moisturizing product for the day that I like. At night, after cleansing, I use a rose water toner , then apply serum (depending on your needs but I will suggest vitamin C for a start), then aloe vera gel mixed with a drop of tea tree oil (you will feel it getting absorbed), and finally rosehip oil to lock the moisture in. Every 3-4 days, do a mask, I have oils skin so I love mud masks and mix up my own bentonite clay mask and tailor to what I think my skin needs.

On my body, it's all about natural oils and butters. I mix a batch for the cold months and a lighter one for warm months. shea butter, cocao butter, lavender oil, coconut oil, Vitamin E oil et VOILA. No achiness at all!!

My biggest advice is to try any routine for 2-3 months before giving up or switching things up. Also, don’t forget your neck.

What is your care regiment? Light cleanse in the morning and deep cleansing and moisturizing at night.

In short, I recommend starting with a simple and cheaper line like “Mario Badescu” or “Simple," and slowly adding natural and essential oils.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:13 pm

I've used Neutrogena Ageless Intensives Anti-Wrinkle Deep Wrinkle Night Moisturizer and sensitive skin Neutrogena sunblock (uses zinc oxide and titanium dioxide as physical blocker), have also used LaRouche-Posay sunblock but that is more expensive than Neutrogena product. They all work just fine and don't break the bank. Key is consistency. I should know, stopped using the deep wrinkle product and guess what? they came back after a few months.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

prudent

Post by prudent » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:17 pm

Topic moved to Personal Consumer Issues.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:19 pm

Besides genetics, the biggest differentiator between who looks young and who doesn't is whether someone stays physically fit. Rolls of fat tend to produce wrinkles.

TheJourneyContinues

Post by TheJourneyContinues » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:30 pm

It also probably helps to have realistic expectations. This is a fascinating read on how much it costs to have celebrity-level skin - http://www.wmagazine.com/story/forever- ... -actresses

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:34 pm

TheJourneyContinues wrote:It also probably helps to have realistic expectations. This is a fascinating read on how much it costs to have celebrity-level skin - http://www.wmagazine.com/story/forever- ... -actresses

Oh please, photoshop isn't that expensive :mrgreen:

Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:54 pm

Another sunscreen tip is to apply not just to face but to the whole neck. Little precancerous lesions tend to appear much later than age 30 on the top of the forehead, nose, and the neck, where there is fullest sun exposure. This is not a big deal if you go to a dermatologist promptly when you see something that does not heal. Precancerous lesions are easily sprayed and new skin grows in quickly.

I use a nice $18 night cream, L'Oreal Age Perfect. Very light and very effective. One jar lasts almost 3 months. But this is overkill for a 30 year old. Just use a nighttime moisturizer and a daytime sunscreen and keep makeup to a minimum.
10% cash 45% stock 45% bond. Retired, w/d rate 1.5%

momvesting

Post by momvesting » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:45 pm

I would like to add that you may want to start taking fish oil. I take 3 a day at meals and although I did not start it for skin care, it definitely helps. Just give it time, when I first went on it I broke out, but then my skin cleared up and stayed clearer than ever. It makes me wonder if it was just bad timing or if it somehow flushes out the skin at the beginning. Anyway, my skin is much better now that I'm on fish oil. Also, don't buy in to the hype, it doesn't have to come from some fancy skincare pill pack, I buy mine at Costco.

Meg77

Post by Meg77 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:01 pm

Sophia1884 wrote:What is a cost-effective manner of skin care that works for you?
[b]Cost-effective is a relative term. I wouldn't say my skin care products are inexpensive, but on the other hand I spend very little on makeup and avoid wearing it whenever possible. I think this is better for my skin but also saves money on beauty products overall.
[/b]
What is working for YOU?
I use Dermalogica Essential Cleanser and Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant (I don't use the microfoliant every day, just when I feel I want a little extra scrub - to help remove heavy makeup or if I feel some blackheads coming on). I also use Dermalogica moisturizer during the day - there are two kinds and I can't remember the name of the one I like, but it's a little lighter. Their website has a questionnaire you can use to select which products are best for you based on skin type and issues. I use Alexandra de Markoff night cream that my grandmother used for decades. I don't think they make it any more, but you can find it online. It has rose oil and is amazing, and my husband loves the way it smells. It's like $80 I think, though it lasts me about a year.

I don't yet use any pigment lighteners, but at 33 I'm starting to notice some faint spots so may have to look into these (expensive) products eventually. I also don't use expensive serums except when they come as gift samples when I buy other makeup products. I like them, but I'm not paying $75+ for what boils down to a little extra lotion. I also don't use sunscreen daily; when I wear makeup, my liquid foundation has sunscreen in it. When I am not wearing makeup I just wear actual sunscreen or moisturizer with sunscreen (various drugstore brands).

What do you use? Why?
My mother was recommended Dermalogical line by a dermatologist years ago, and we have similar skin so I started using it in my 20s. I have used other products over the years, but I keep coming back to this. I buy it off Amazon in big bottles where it's somewhat cheaper.

What is your care regiment?
I wash my face with cleaner in the shower in the morning, then I apply daily moisturizer followed by makeup (or just moisturizer if it's the weekend - add sunscreen during summer months). At night I may use eye makeup remover (blue stuff that looks like water; every brand seems the same) to remove my eye makeup, and I may use a makeup removing wipe (from the drugstore, again all brands seem similar) to take off other face makeup if I feel I need to. But I don't wash my face or apply creams most nights (the exception is if I shower in the evening, in which case I love to use my night cream afterwards). I know this is not ideal, but I've never gotten into the habit of washing my face at night. Put that on the to do list...

Do you see it changing in the future? How?
I should probably start cleansing at night. Then in my morning shower I wouldn't wash my face at all most likely. I may eventually look into wrinkle or pigment reducing serum/creams, but to be honest I just don't feel like they probably make enough difference to warrant the price tag. Maybe in my 40s I'll reconsider. :)

Advice outside of sunscreen use? Don't sweat it too much. Most of the products out there won't make much difference. Some of the women with the best skin I know just use soap and water. Genetics plays a role, but a lot of it boils down to nutrition too. Then comes being hydrated and getting good sleep. Actual products will only make a minor difference compared to those bigger lifestyle elements.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin

mouses

Post by mouses » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:07 pm

Minimize sun exposure and don't smoke. Every so often I see some person who has tanned all their life and their skin looks like leather. Even people who have tanned occasionally will pay for it with brown areas as they get older.

Other than that, a mild cleanser and moisturize. The drugstore stuff is just as good as the expensive stuff.

mouses

Post by mouses » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:10 pm

alfaspider wrote:Besides genetics, the biggest differentiator between who looks young and who doesn't is whether someone stays physically fit. Rolls of fat tend to produce wrinkles.

Actually just the opposite. Fat plumps up the skin. Not that I'm recommending that people get fat, but take a look at a chubby and a thin person. The latter will have more wrinkles.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:25 pm

mouses wrote:
alfaspider wrote:Besides genetics, the biggest differentiator between who looks young and who doesn't is whether someone stays physically fit. Rolls of fat tend to produce wrinkles.

Actually just the opposite. Fat plumps up the skin. Not that I'm recommending that people get fat, but take a look at a chubby and a thin person. The latter will have more wrinkles.

I don't know, I've seen a lot of wrinkly fat people. I'm mostly thinking in the face- jowls tend to produce wrinkles. But I think the difference is not necessarily fat vs thin per-se but muscle tone (or lack thereof) that makes the difference.

mindboggling

Post by mindboggling » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:29 pm

Just an FYI...I spent my entire career in the television broadcast industry. Modern, broadcast-quality studio cameras (and many high-end handhelds) have a circuit that removes detail from flesh tones only. It's used to make news anchors and other celebrities/spokespersons look younger (more attractive). What you see on the screen is not what these people look like in real life.

Since colors are made up of different proportions of red/green/blue, this circuits detects the proportions that correspond to flesh tones and reduces the frequency response and does other signal processing for those proportions only, which softens people's faces.

steve
In broken mathematics We estimate our prize, --Emily Dickinson

goodenoughinvestor

Post by goodenoughinvestor » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:32 pm

Only two anti-wrinkle strategies are scientifically proven to work. By scientific I mean double-blind, controlled studies. I'd consider everything else a scam.

1. Sunblock (for prevention).
2. Topical retinoids such as tretinoin (Retin-A) and tazarotene (Tazorac). You can get a prescription for the generic versions from a dermatologist. These creams are more powerful than the retinol in over-the-counter moisturizers. You apply a pea-sized amount to your face nightly. Usually, it's recommended that you first mix it with some mild moisturizer because it can be irritating. (You may have to work up to nightly use over a couple of weeks.) For these creams to be effective you have to be a good Boglehead--meaning just keep "holding" it--use it daily, year after year--don't stop (or "sell"). Think of it as a compounding interest device against wrinkles. You might not see much difference at 30 or 35. But as you get into your 40s and beyond you will be amazed at how much less your skin ages compared with your friends who don't use a retinoid cream. The cost of generic retinoids has gone up but the manufacturers usually offer coupons if you search on-line. And these creams still cost a lot less than trendy ultra-expense hope-in-a-jar BS that women "swear by" but can only offer subjective evidence that they work (ie, they really don't).

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:36 pm

Amlactin for body skin care.

Went to a dermatologist as my skin changed to *very* dry as I aged.
Did this during our checkups for any signs of skin cancer.

DH was sure the physician would suggest, or even try a hard sell, of the "specialty products" that are often carried in offices like these.
And indeed, he had a nice glass showcase with a variety of potions. No prices obviously showing.

However, he suggested, without any prompting or hints, that I just go the the local store and pick a pump bottle of Amlactin, and keep using it for a while to give it time to work.
AMAZING change, without going into too much detail.
And quite inexpensive as such things go, and especially vs. those fancy caviar cremes or whatever.
(It also comes in a tiny bottle for travel.)

Was going to add another product, for face, but it seems to be unavailable.
I'm now trying to find a source (for myself!), and will post here if it is available elsewhere.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

remomnyc

Post by remomnyc » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:00 pm

I agree. Don't smoke. Stay out of the sun and use sunscreen. Get lots of sleep. Drink water. Eat well.

As far as products, I wash my face with Cetaphil and moisturize every day with Neutrogena with SPF 15. I have heard retin A is the only product that actually diminishes wrinkles and brown spots.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:08 pm

All this talk about skin care is going to make me start working on getting rid of the wrinkles again. :wink:

So here is a question, does skin care cream ever go bad or expire?

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:58 pm

Sophia1884 wrote:There is SOOO much information on-line that I'm at a loss of where to start. I use Cerave cleanser in the AM and PM, Cerave SPF daytime moisturizer, and prescription retinol at night. Apparently there are serums, anti aging eye creams, face creams that add/take away/enhance/zap everything and anything. I don't know what to go with or who to talk to without being sold on whatever. :confused

If you want to be cost-effective, don't get into the habit of using serums and other products that promise the moon. I see how many products my mother and grandmother use, and it makes very little difference on anything but their pocketbook. Unless it's been prescribed by a physician, there is no need to be applying oodles of serums and creams to keep your skin healthy.

My skin care regimen is very simple: sensitive skin facial wash, no make-up, SPF protection when outdoors (but nothing if I'll be inside all day), and basic lotions otherwise (Eucerin and Aveeno both make good, cost-effective lotions; edit: Neutrogena also makes some good, cost-effective lotions). I also try to eat healthy, exercise, and stay hydrated with water. Nothing fancy and nothing too expensive either.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:13 pm

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:So here is a question, does skin care cream ever go bad or expire?

Yes, cream can go bad. This could range from separating to going rancid, depending on the product. Fragrances can also go bad over time, leading to unpleasant odors even if the underlying oils have not gone rancid.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:38 pm

Mudpuppy wrote:
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:So here is a question, does skin care cream ever go bad or expire?

Yes, cream can go bad. This could range from separating to going rancid, depending on the product. Fragrances can also go bad over time, leading to unpleasant odors even if the underlying oils have not gone rancid.

And if you'd previously opened the container and had been scooping out dabs using non-sterile fingers, then you probably introduced a variety of contaminants... and if they sit there in the right temperature/etc., environment, you might not be happy when you open the container again later. :(

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:28 pm

livesoft wrote:For men only: Grow a beard which will protect your soft rosy baby cheeks from weathering. Then in your 60's when your beard turns white, shave it off and look young again! I was out walking the dog with a friend a mine of about the same age. Another acquaintance walked up and asked me to introduce my dad to him.

:happy

I had a coworker come back from his son's wedding in a very good mood - someone came up to him at the reception and told him "I didn't realize John had a brother!"

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:37 pm

cherijoh wrote:I had a coworker come back from his son's wedding in a very good mood - someone came up to him at the reception and told him "I didn't realize John had a brother!"

My then 18-year-old daughter was not amused to be mistaken as my wife.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.