Best Ways to Buy Time

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
BSA44
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:43 pm

Best Ways to Buy Time

Post by BSA44 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:44 pm

My wife and I are in the lucky position where we have a 6 figure savings rate than is about 60% of our take-home income. Also, we have enough retirements funds already built up that if we stopped saving today, we could comfortably retire more than a decade before we turned 65 with a 3% SWR. Given our income is high, the 40% of income we live on results in us living very comfortable/happily and taking multiple luxury vacations each year.

The one thing we are short on, though, is time. Neither of us wants to cut back on our work and/or quit our jobs yet, as we enjoy them and like the extra money. However, we are looking for creative ways to save time elsewhere in our life. An obvious example of this is hiring a cleaning person to avoid needing to spend time cleaning. We already live near our work, so there is no need to cut down our commute.

What are some ways that you "buy" extra time?

Minty
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:19 pm

Re: Best Ways to Buy Time

Post by Minty » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:50 pm

FWIW, there is a Fatwallet thread on this. https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/890849
Core Four with nominal bonds and TIPS.

livesoft
Posts: 56623
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Best Ways to Buy Time

Post by livesoft » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:52 pm

Cook breakfast and exercise at the same time.

Eat breakfast and post on bogleheads at the same time.

Don't cook other meals at all. Salads and sashimi are all you need.

Don't consume coffee. Ever.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 13779
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Best Ways to Buy Time

Post by dm200 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:59 pm

livesoft wrote:Cook breakfast and exercise at the same time.
Eat breakfast and post on bogleheads at the same time.
Don't cook other meals at all. Salads and sashimi are all you need.
Don't consume coffee. Ever.


Except for a few folks with specific health issues, coffee is considered healthful (as long as you drink it black!

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 13779
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Best Ways to Buy Time

Post by dm200 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:01 pm

BSA44 wrote:My wife and I are in the lucky position where we have a 6 figure savings rate than is about 60% of our take-home income. Also, we have enough retirements funds already built up that if we stopped saving today, we could comfortably retire more than a decade before we turned 65 with a 3% SWR. Given our income is high, the 40% of income we live on results in us living very comfortable/happily and taking multiple luxury vacations each year.
The one thing we are short on, though, is time. Neither of us wants to cut back on our work and/or quit our jobs yet, as we enjoy them and like the extra money. However, we are looking for creative ways to save time elsewhere in our life. An obvious example of this is hiring a cleaning person to avoid needing to spend time cleaning. We already live near our work, so there is no need to cut down our commute.
What are some ways that you "buy" extra time?


How about work hours? Can you cust back on any extra hours that may not be the most enjoyable part of your job(s)?

Cruise
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:17 pm

Re: Best Ways to Buy Time

Post by Cruise » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:04 pm

BSA44 wrote:What are some ways that you "buy" extra time?


You have not provided us with enough information about your time allocations in order for you to derive any benefit from the available wisdom.

Which of your activities (work or personal) can be outsourced? That is the way to buy time.

DSInvestor
Posts: 10575
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:42 am

Re: Best Ways to Buy Time

Post by DSInvestor » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:13 pm

Can you reduce time at work without reducing income? When I was an IT consultant, I saw many salaried employees stay well past quitting time.

nps
Posts: 433
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:18 am

Re: Best Ways to Buy Time

Post by nps » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:52 pm

dm200 wrote:
livesoft wrote:Cook breakfast and exercise at the same time.
Eat breakfast and post on bogleheads at the same time.
Don't cook other meals at all. Salads and sashimi are all you need.
Don't consume coffee. Ever.


Except for a few folks with specific health issues, coffee is considered healthful (as long as you drink it black!


Perhaps he's under the impression that it leads to more time wasted in the bathroom :)

Either way, it would seem to be a net positive if it reduces time wasted through sleep.

azurekep
Posts: 950
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:16 pm

Re: Best Ways to Buy Time

Post by azurekep » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:19 pm

At least one major grocery chain I know of has delivery services. You shop online and the groceries are delivered to your house.

strafe
Posts: 723
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:49 pm

Re: Best Ways to Buy Time

Post by strafe » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:41 pm

-Lawn service
-house cleaning service
-Mobile car wash/auto detailer
-Weekly premade "family dinner" take out from local deli/restaurant
-grocery store online order +/- delivery
-autopay for all bills
-Trunk Club (or similar) for clothes
-TSA Precheck
-electric car (less maintenance, no time spent at gas station)
-use a handyman instead of DIY
-move closer to work

sambb
Posts: 1761
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:31 pm

Re: Best Ways to Buy Time

Post by sambb » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:03 pm

1. smartphone and useful apps (like bill pays, etc)
2. Starbucks app - its ready when you go in
3. Car with better range or MPG
4. Dont get into any political or religious arguments
5. Dont be nosy - mind your own business
6. Go to work before rush hour and leave before rush hour or stay late and leave after
7. Bring a snack or two to work
8. Run errands on way to another destination
9. Amazon Prime
10. Cleaning service
11. Dont fight with people
12. DVR or stream on amazon or netflix - never watch TV live (commercials)
13. Avoid newspapers - use google news
14. Fast internet and fast PC
15. downsize house to size you use
16. read books on decluttering and declutter
17. dont socialize at work
18. sleep well
19. dont aimlessly surf the web

User avatar
DarkNyte
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 10:15 am

Re: Best Ways to Buy Time

Post by DarkNyte » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:08 pm

If you are really committed to saving time, make this your only food source. No more cooking, worrying about buying food, etc.

https://www.soylent.com/

livesoft
Posts: 56623
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Best Ways to Buy Time

Post by livesoft » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:29 pm

dm200 wrote:Except for a few folks with specific health issues, coffee is considered healthful (as long as you drink it black!

This thread is about saving time and not about health.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Cruise
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:17 pm

Re: Best Ways to Buy Time

Post by Cruise » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:42 pm

sambb wrote:1. smartphone and useful apps (like bill pays, etc)
2. Starbucks app - its ready when you go in
3. Car with better range or MPG
4. Dont get into any political or religious arguments
5. Dont be nosy - mind your own business
6. Go to work before rush hour and leave before rush hour or stay late and leave after
7. Bring a snack or two to work
8. Run errands on way to another destination
9. Amazon Prime
10. Cleaning service
11. Dont fight with people
12. DVR or stream on amazon or netflix - never watch TV live (commercials)
13. Avoid newspapers - use google news
14. Fast internet and fast PC
15. downsize house to size you use
16. read books on decluttering and declutter
17. dont socialize at work
18. sleep well
19. dont aimlessly surf the web

20. Post question on Bogleheads so you have others doing your thinking for you. :)

Loik098
Posts: 414
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 9:29 pm

Re: Best Ways to Buy Time

Post by Loik098 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:54 pm

What would you do with more free time that you're not doing now? Perhaps answering that question would cut down on getting suggestions that aren't useful to you.

You say you already live a happy, comfortable life. The hard thing for most (especially retirees) is to find activities and hobbies that bring you even more fulfillment and continued good health.

qwertyjazz
Posts: 1026
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:24 am

Re: Best Ways to Buy Time

Post by qwertyjazz » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:06 pm

DarkNyte wrote:If you are really committed to saving time, make this your only food source. No more cooking, worrying about buying food, etc.

https://www.soylent.com/


I think Charleton Heston was selling it. Pretty topical post-election
G.E. Box "All models are wrong, but some are useful."

User avatar
whodidntante
Posts: 2207
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:11 pm

Re: Best Ways to Buy Time

Post by whodidntante » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:16 pm

livesoft wrote:
Don't consume coffee. Ever.


Sure. If you call that living.

J295
Posts: 1180
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:40 pm

Re: Best Ways to Buy Time

Post by J295 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:23 pm

Buy a flux capacitor.

BSA44
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:43 pm

Re: Best Ways to Buy Time

Post by BSA44 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:27 pm

Thank you for all of the great suggestions so far! FYI I'm not a coffee drinker.

I'm an academic, so I already have a great deal of flexibility over my work schedule, and have done a pretty good job at optimizing that already (e.g., outsourcing work, avoiding unnecessary extra work, etc). I was thinking more along the lines of the everyday or non-work tasks that people have been mentioning.

Loik098 wrote:What would you do with more free time that you're not doing now? Perhaps answering that question would cut down on getting suggestions that aren't useful to you.

You say you already live a happy, comfortable life. The hard thing for most (especially retirees) is to find activities and hobbies that bring you even more fulfillment and continued good health.


Probably in most cases it would entail spending more time with my spouse engaging in leisure activities. These could include going for walks in the park near us, playing nighttime games of tennis, going for swims in our complex's pool together, playing board games, etc. We do already have a good chunk of leisure time together, but are always looking for ways to be more efficient to get even more.

tbradnc
Posts: 1473
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:30 am

Re: Best Ways to Buy Time

Post by tbradnc » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:30 pm

If you get up an hour earlier every 24 days you get a day free.

livesoft
Posts: 56623
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Best Ways to Buy Time

Post by livesoft » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:32 pm

Leisure time together: Shopping, cooking, cleaning up, together.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

User avatar
Toons
Posts: 12034
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:20 am
Location: Hills of Tennessee

Re: Best Ways to Buy Time

Post by Toons » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:45 pm

I kept it simple and
Retired. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

User avatar
Jazztonight
Posts: 797
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:21 am
Location: Lake Merritt

Re: Best Ways to Buy Time

Post by Jazztonight » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:09 am

Get rid of your televisions.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche

user5027
Posts: 743
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:54 pm

Re: Best Ways to Buy Time

Post by user5027 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:33 am

Grow a beard.

Grt2bOutdoors
Posts: 17146
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: New York

Re: Best Ways to Buy Time

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:39 am

Sleep less. There was a study that those who accomplish more sleep far fewer hours than those who do not. Can not recall which one, guess I was sleeping when it came out. :wink:
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

User avatar
neurosphere
Posts: 2599
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:55 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Best Ways to Buy Time

Post by neurosphere » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:00 am

user5027 wrote:Grow a beard.


That's a good time saver (and probably saves money too). But the OPs wife might have an opinion on that as well.

Personally, a beard on me looks quite horrible. If there were such a thing as permanent (safe) facial hair removal, I would consider it. I hate shaving. :)

carolinaman
Posts: 2630
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:56 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: Best Ways to Buy Time

Post by carolinaman » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:05 am

dm200 wrote:
BSA44 wrote:My wife and I are in the lucky position where we have a 6 figure savings rate than is about 60% of our take-home income. Also, we have enough retirements funds already built up that if we stopped saving today, we could comfortably retire more than a decade before we turned 65 with a 3% SWR. Given our income is high, the 40% of income we live on results in us living very comfortable/happily and taking multiple luxury vacations each year.
The one thing we are short on, though, is time. Neither of us wants to cut back on our work and/or quit our jobs yet, as we enjoy them and like the extra money. However, we are looking for creative ways to save time elsewhere in our life. An obvious example of this is hiring a cleaning person to avoid needing to spend time cleaning. We already live near our work, so there is no need to cut down our commute.
What are some ways that you "buy" extra time?


How about work hours? Can you cust back on any extra hours that may not be the most enjoyable part of your job(s)?


This is a good idea. Do you have the option of delegating or transferring some undesirable work to others? Doing so could free up perhaps a few hours a week. I was an IT executive who routinely worked 60 hour weeks for much of my career. My last few years I gradually shifted some of my work to staff or other managers. I reduced my workload down to a more manageable 50 hour week and made me ask the question "Why did I not do this years ago?".

User avatar
flossy21
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 2:04 pm

Re: Best Ways to Buy Time

Post by flossy21 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:39 am

Check out Amazon Prime Pantry. You can set up recurring purchases for cleaning supplies, toilet paper and some food items. Basically delivered on your schedule. Shipping is free if you buy a few items at a time. Saves you shopping for these things.

https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=pntry_wayfind_logo?node=7301146011

jayjayc
Posts: 193
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:38 pm

Re: Best Ways to Buy Time

Post by jayjayc » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:32 pm

Try taskrabbit. It's a service that will run any errand you can think of. I've heard of people using taskrabbit to wait in line for new iPhones back in the day when that was necessary.

https://www.taskrabbit.com

bigred77
Posts: 1917
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:53 pm

Re: Best Ways to Buy Time

Post by bigred77 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:05 pm

Obvious ones are maid and lawn service.
I hate grocery shopping so I would partake in instacart if I didn't care about spending 5%-10% more on groceries (or so it seems in my city).
I would Uber a lot more places. Especially if parking is going to be a pain.
Find a good jack of all trades handy man and hire out everything that would take you a trip to home depot and 45 min to do yourself.
Find healthy takeout or meal delivery services.

User avatar
White Coat Investor
Posts: 12854
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Greatest Snow On Earth

Re: Best Ways to Buy Time

Post by White Coat Investor » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:35 pm

I can't believe I'm the first to mention this. The best way to buy time is to spend more so you can live closer to work. Less commute equals more time.

If you drive 45 minutes to work each way and can cut that down to 15, you just bought an hour a day. Probably 20 hours a month. That's half a week worth of full-time work. You can do a lot with an extra 20 hours a month. Over the course of a year, that's 240 hours, or about a month and a half of full-time work.

For most people, there is a cost to that, but if you calculate it out, it is often worth it, especially given that studies show commuting makes us more unhappy than just about anything else.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

livesoft
Posts: 56623
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Best Ways to Buy Time

Post by livesoft » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:45 pm

White Coat Investor wrote:I can't believe I'm the first to mention this. The best way to buy time is to spend more so you can live closer to work. Less commute equals more time.

You're the second to mention this. The first was the OP. :)
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

User avatar
White Coat Investor
Posts: 12854
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Greatest Snow On Earth

Re: Best Ways to Buy Time

Post by White Coat Investor » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:15 pm

livesoft wrote:
White Coat Investor wrote:I can't believe I'm the first to mention this. The best way to buy time is to spend more so you can live closer to work. Less commute equals more time.

You're the second to mention this. The first was the OP. :)


I don't know how you read that carefully and still have time to make so many posts. :)
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

livesoft
Posts: 56623
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Best Ways to Buy Time

Post by livesoft » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:20 pm

White Coat Investor wrote:I don't know how you read that carefully and still have time to make so many posts. :)

Oh, I shoot off without reading, then I delete those posts where I have totally blown it. It's called "editing." :)
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

lightheir
Posts: 2181
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:43 pm

Re: Best Ways to Buy Time

Post by lightheir » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:22 pm

Best way I 'gain' (not buy, but same idea) time:

I almost only watch TV when I'm on my treadmill or bicycle trainer at home. I'm on 'em a lot!

Also, now with Netflix and Amazon, it's easy to download shows to your smartphone, and thus if you're at the gym, you can easily catch up on shows on your phone (I use a drycase for the phone and bluetooth headphones - works great!)

I manage to watch a fair amount of TV this way, but it's all good - it's VERY hard to binge watch shows when you're suffering from the fatigue of all the miles! My friends and colleagues are always amazed at how I can have a small kid, work the full time job, keep up on most of their TV shows, AND manage to race a lot and stay in shape. That's pretty much the answer - TV = workout time.

noraz123
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:23 am
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: Best Ways to Buy Time

Post by noraz123 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:29 pm

sambb wrote:19. dont aimlessly surf the web


This would severely limit my Bogleheads.org consumption. :sharebeer

jacoavlu
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:06 pm

Re: Best Ways to Buy Time

Post by jacoavlu » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:34 pm

sleep faster and wake up at 430
technically not "buying time" because it's free

second-guesser
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:57 pm

Re: Best Ways to Buy Time

Post by second-guesser » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:59 pm

If you do all these things mentioned in these posts
what are you going to do all day ; walk in the park
16 hours a day ? Some folks have just the opposite
problem , finding enough to do , especially those who are
retired or semi- retired. Others like to get enough sleep.
( I do ). I see your point of optimizing your time but
some of the " wasted time " actually is entertaining
or fulfilling : although reading this post could be defined as
" wasting time " , I guess maybe it is.
S-G

User avatar
Earl Lemongrab
Posts: 2939
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:14 am

Re: Best Ways to Buy Time

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:07 pm

White Coat Investor wrote:
livesoft wrote:
White Coat Investor wrote:I can't believe I'm the first to mention this. The best way to buy time is to spend more so you can live closer to work. Less commute equals more time.

You're the second to mention this. The first was the OP. :)


I don't know how you read that carefully and still have time to make so many posts. :)

He hired college kids to do his posting for him.
This week's fortune cookie: "You will do well to expand your horizons." Ow. Passive-aggressive and vaguely ominous.

Lynette
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:47 am

Re: Best Ways to Buy Time

Post by Lynette » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:51 pm

Hire an accountant to do your taxes. Simplify your investments. I don't know how this applies to an academic but we used to eat lunch at our desk while working and then go for a walk at lunch time.

flyingaway
Posts: 1385
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:19 am

Re: Best Ways to Buy Time

Post by flyingaway » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:33 pm

Hire someone to do your teaching, hire someone to do your research, and hire someone to write your proposals.

leonard
Posts: 5993
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:56 am

Re: Best Ways to Buy Time

Post by leonard » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:41 pm

What non-work activities do you actually spend the most time on?
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.

User avatar
bligh
Posts: 553
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:13 pm

Re: Best Ways to Buy Time

Post by bligh » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:54 pm

Buying Time is easy. In fact, that is EXACTLY what the rich do. They have all the money they need, what they dont have enough of is time. So they buy it. Here are some ways in which the rich buy time:

1) Get a Personal Assistant to handle your bills, to dos and various tasks. Summarize the news for the day while you have breakfast in the morning.
2) Get a Full time maid/Butler to take care of the house and cleaning, etc.
3) Chef to make sure the meals are ready for you when you want to eat.
4) Get a Chauffer so you can work, or read or do something else besides holding the wheel on the high way. In a few years you can cut back on this expense and just buy yourself a self driving car.
5) Get a financial manager to manage your finances and taxes

...
You get the picture. Besides the most basic of biological tasks, virtually any task you do, you can pay someone to do for you. Everyone starts with the low hanging fruit.. the stuff you like to do least, and is the cheapest to have done for you. So stuff like yardwork, house cleaning, hair grooming, etc. are the first on everyone's list.

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 17519
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: Best Ways to Buy Time

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:45 pm

Jazztonight wrote:Get rid of your televisions.


And of social media.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

expat
Posts: 735
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Best Ways to Buy Time

Post by expat » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:17 pm

Buy time for what?

Caduceus
Posts: 1460
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:47 am

Re: Best Ways to Buy Time

Post by Caduceus » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:36 pm

Most of the ways to save time probably require some investment of time upfront. To save time, you have to simplify your life and reduce both physical and digital clutter.

I got a new number and have been very careful about handing it out. I get zero telemarketing calls (literally zero!)

Everytime you get a piece of junk mail (whether physical or digital), opt out of it. There are apps for that. You can also opt out of credit card offers. The past six months I have gotten two pieces of junk mail. 8-)

It is really nice (and time-saving) to not have to deal with junk calls, junk mail, junk email. But it took me a while to set it all up. Call up companies you no longer buy from/use to delete your information from their databases; get on those national do not call registries and those lists that prevent marketers from contacting you, etc.

Another way of saving time is to throw away stuff you don't need. You spend less time searching for stuff, less time cleaning, less time having the stuff you own end up owning you.

frugalprof
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:32 pm

Re: Best Ways to Buy Time

Post by frugalprof » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:24 pm

Two things:

1) I do all of my computer work at a standing desk. This ensures that I don't waste too much time surfing.

2) I also have a small sitting desk that is meant to be a stand for a computer. It matched my rather large desk, which I ditched when I moved to a smaller office. I used to have papers piling up all over that desk. Having a smaller desk forced me to create a more efficient filing system. Of course many of my fellow academics have books and papers stacked on the floor. If that is your tendency, having a smaller desk won't help.

campy2010
Posts: 852
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:01 pm

Re: Best Ways to Buy Time

Post by campy2010 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:39 pm

Say "NO" to things you don't want to do without guilt. If it is charitable, offer money instead. If it is family/friends, just say no and move on or make an alternative suggestion that requires less time. At work, don't take on extra work that isn't your primary job function or doesn't move your career forward.

inbox788
Posts: 4142
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: Best Ways to Buy Time

Post by inbox788 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:46 pm

livesoft wrote:
White Coat Investor wrote:I can't believe I'm the first to mention this. The best way to buy time is to spend more so you can live closer to work. Less commute equals more time.

You're the second to mention this. The first was the OP. :)

I was thinking the same thing. Then it occurred to me that WCI was on to something. Taking it to the logical conclusion, live at work! (though spouse may not appreciate that -- unless they work at the same location -- zero commute time!) A little less extreme is exercise to work (walk/run/bike). Shower at work (especially if you exercise and are sweaty). Exercise at work (during lunch break).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO1rMeYnOmM

Generally, you can multitask or eliminate tasks that are non-essential or undesirable. This helps make the best of your limited time.

And you can do things to increase your longevity. Many are things money can't buy, but do take better care of your health (checkups and preventive measures, dental care, eye care, etc.) and eat better (healthier).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/0 ... 27796.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-maoshi ... 52987.html

And don't chase the most recent trendy anti-aging scheme going around.
http://www.livescience.com/44436-anti-a ... -life.html

fishmonger
Posts: 449
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:20 pm

Re: Best Ways to Buy Time

Post by fishmonger » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:24 pm

We bit the bullet and hired someone to clean the house for us every other week. It's not a deep clean, but the usual vacuum, clean the bathrooms, kitchen area, etc. $100 each time and worth every penny IMO.

Post Reply