Laundry lifestyle creep

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
abonder

Laundry lifestyle creep

Postby abonder » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:55 pm

In the old days, I'd just use the cheapest detergent I could buy and then call it a day. I then started using a more expensive detergent (even if not on sale) because it was highly-rated by consumer reports. More recently, we bought a large box of oxiclean. Initially, I was only adding it to the highly soiled loads, but I've transitioned to adding it all the time.

Im trying to assess of this laundry creep is warranted? I'm not sure if my laundry is any better/cleaner now than before. Is the routine addition of oxiclean to a top-rated detergent of benefit? Of note, we have 2 little ones who make some very dirty clothes and none of our garments are particularly high-end or delicate.

Thanks.

ResearchMed

Re: Laundry lifestyle creep

Postby ResearchMed » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:03 pm

abonder wrote:In the old days, I'd just use the cheapest detergent I could buy and then call it a day. I then started using a more expensive detergent (even if not on sale) because it was highly-rated by consumer reports. More recently, we bought a large box of oxiclean. Initially, I was only adding it to the highly soiled loads, but I've transitioned to adding it all the time.

Im trying to assess of this laundry creep is warranted? I'm not sure if my laundry is any better/cleaner now than before. Is the routine addition of oxiclean to a top-rated detergent of benefit? Of note, we have 2 little ones who make some very dirty clothes and none of our garments are particularly high-end or delicate.

Thanks.

How do the clothes look?

How did they look before the add-ons?

And have you noticed any change in "wear and tear"?
(One could add LOTS of bleach to whites, which would probably do a nice job of keeping them nice and bright... but for how long...!?)

Also, why did you buy the Oxiclean? Were you having any laundry problems?
(Or is your neighborhood one with especially tense competitive laundries? :wink: )

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

slayed

Postby slayed » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:06 pm

Your clothes will be just as clean with a homemade laundry detergent. I make my own and it lasts me a year for a couple bucks and a few minutes of work. https://www.diynatural.com/homemade-lau ... gent-soap/ Add some vinegar for particularly soiled loads.

pennstater2005

Postby pennstater2005 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:09 pm

slayed wrote:Your clothes will be just as clean with a homemade laundry detergent. I make my own and it lasts me a year for a couple bucks and a few minutes of work. https://www.diynatural.com/homemade-lau ... gent-soap/ Add some vinegar for particularly soiled loads.

My wife does this. She makes 5 gallons at a time in a Lowe's bucket. The clothes come out clean.
“Life is short, Break the Rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile" - Unknown

abonder

Postby abonder » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:15 pm

I can't recall if there is a difference in clothing cleanliness after changing the laundry routine. It's also hard by our needs have changed with babies and they tend to make a lot of nasty stains! So part of me thinks it's worth it just because our laundry needs are more significant than previously.

I don't think I'm motivated or talented enough to home brew our detergent! Not that it's a bad idea.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby LadyGeek » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:21 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (laundry detergent).
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Postby 123 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:22 pm

Laundry detergent can be a very individual thing. Though I generally find the product ratings in Consumer Reports to be good indicators sometimes they are not. I found that an inexpensive store brand of powdered laundry detergent worked better for us then a major brand like liquid Tide. When Consumer Reports rated liquid Tide very high and it was on sale I decided to try it without saying anything to my spouse. (I generally resist buying highly advertised national brands.) After a few weeks my spouse complained about some clothes looking a little dingy when they were fresh from the wash. I explained the laundry detergent switch, went back to my cheap store brand, and everything is fine again. The best laundry detergent for you may not be the same as others depending on your water, washer, and the particular kind of use/stains/wear your clothes get.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Longtermgrowth

Postby Longtermgrowth » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:29 pm

I'm happy using hypoallergenic detergent. Not because I'm allergic, but because I don't want the added chemicals and volatile organic compounds in my clothes and home. I don't use fabric softener or dryer sheets for this reason as well, and I really don't notice a difference not using fabric softener (never used dryer sheets in the first place) - at least for the type of material I generally wash.

jucor

Postby jucor » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:25 pm

Look into Charlie's Soap products. Better for you, better for your clothes, better for your machine. We're very happy leaving all of the extra goop and chemicals behind. Clothes get clean.

livesoft

Postby livesoft » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:35 pm

I'm chuckling here because why should one care if their kids' clothes look clean? Sure, you don't want them to smell while they are sitting in the car or at the dinner table and you don't want dirt on your furniture, but if the spots, stains, and discoloring are permanent, who cares? Besides, stains can be a reminder of good times.

Work clothes can be another matter.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

anoop

Postby anoop » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:31 pm

While I won't say if this is good or bad, this is a place you can hang out with other laundry enthusiasts:
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/laundry
It doesn't matter how much you're spending on your laundry, there will be someone outspending you.

deikel

Postby deikel » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:43 pm

My observation is that most water supply to the washer in the US is NOT hot at all and the 110V washing machines are not heating up properly...as a result you have to alternatively 'help' with chemicals to improve the sweat and grease and grime extraction process - unfortunately, chlorine based agents (aka bleach) do not do a good trick to de-grease laundry and the addition of fragrances to cover up and soften the fabric rather encapsulates the grease.

Cheap solution: make your own washer mix by adding washing soda, borax and soap flakes in about equal measures....best result I had in a long time, the only limitation I still have is the amount of soap I can use due to the relatively cold water.
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immidiatly and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.

angelescrest

Postby angelescrest » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:04 pm

livesoft wrote:Besides, stains can be a reminder of good times.

Work clothes can be another matter.

I used to say the same about work clothes. Then I became a white collar.

rgs92

Postby rgs92 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:37 am

I like Tide Pods the best. (Regular or free+clear are both good. The latter has less additives, so it makes me feel better but I'm not sure why.)

mouses

Postby mouses » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:53 am

I use All Free & Clean detergent and Downy Soft Free fabric softener. No perfumes and they work well in the hard water here.

The only thing All failed on was I got ink on a jacket picking up a delivered box before I noticed the big smear of ink. I soaked the stains in dishwashing liquid overnight and they're close enough to invisible on the dark fabric to not matter.

I do notice a difference in using fabric softener, but I omit it from towels as it affects absorbency.

My complaint is All and Downy come in plastic bottles. I used to buy detergent and fabric softener in cardboard boxes where I lived before, but that packaging seems unknown in this area.

wassabi

Postby wassabi » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:40 am

As I've made more money and increased my net worth, I've also realized there are some things that are just not worth cutting corners. Laundry detergent is one of those items.

Carson

Postby Carson » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:39 am

Yes, I've had it too. I used to use Xtra detergent in a top loader filled with softened water with good enough results.

But 4 years of cloth diapering with an HE washer with hard city water had me transition to Tide. I buy it from Costco when it's got a coupon and try to use the minimum amount to get the clothes clean.

And just this past weekend, I went to the full dark side and chucked a load of work clothes into the drier instead of hanging them on the line. Forgive me!

The only thing I have been doing is trying to sort our laundry a bit more thoughtfully - honestly, if my kid gets a slight mark on his school pants, I'll actually spot clean it off and put them back. Lightly soiled loads go together on cold water, light soap. Save heavy things/whites for their own batches. I try to do a load of 'full size' hangable clothes, so I commit to line-drying them all. Then I do batches of socks/undies/small things and dryer them together.
30-something personal finance enthusiast, just get getting started on this whole portfolio thing.

MI_bogle

Postby MI_bogle » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:11 am

abonder wrote:I can't recall if there is a difference in clothing cleanliness after changing the laundry routine.

There's your answer. If you can't easily recall any change in clothing cleanliness after spending a lot more money on detergents... you aren't getting any noticeable improvement

student

Postby student » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:12 am

I used to use Tide. Now I just use the cheapest one and cold water. I don't see much of a difference.

ResearchMed

Postby ResearchMed » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:17 am

What has become most important to us is to avoid fragrances and colorings and other non-functional additives as much as possible.
It's not always easy.
:annoyed

RM

Rupert

Postby Rupert » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:10 pm

ResearchMed wrote:What has become most important to us is to avoid fragrances and colorings and other non-functional additives as much as possible.
It's not always easy.
:annoyed

RM

+1. Costco's Kirkland-brand Free & Clear detergent is good (or at least good enough for my household). Comparable to All Free & Clear but usually a little cheaper.

pshonore

Postby pshonore » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:40 pm

deikel wrote:My observation is that most water supply to the washer in the US is NOT hot at all and the 110V washing machines are not heating up properly...
I'm puzzled by that. Do washing machines "heat" water? (Most dishwashers probably do) . But if you want hot water in a washing machine, best to turn on the hot water tap in a nearby sink to get it hot before starting the washer. Of course it depends how far away your hot water tank is. If you have an gas fired on demand HW heater, that would make a big difference as well

Toons

Postby Toons » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:42 pm

I enjoy Gain.
It cleans.
It smells great.
I don't care what it cost.
Life is too short. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

SuperGrafx

Postby SuperGrafx » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:05 pm

I agree with Toons...

Life is too short to go around with poorly washed and funky smelling clothes just for the sake of saving a few dollars.
Get the best detergent you can afford for your particular style of machine.

I'm a big fan of Gain and Tide. They do the trick and my clothes smell great after washing/drying.

RyeWhiskey

Postby RyeWhiskey » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:14 pm

Costco sells a scentless detergent in a huge container for a very affordable amount that lasts a long time and is high efficiency. What more do you need?
This post was brought to you by Vanguard Total World Stock Index (VTWSX/VT).

Dottie57

Postby Dottie57 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:36 pm

I never knew laundry had a lifestyle. :confused

Doom&Gloom

Postby Doom&Gloom » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:58 pm

RyeWhiskey wrote:Costco sells a scentless detergent in a huge container for a very affordable amount that lasts a long time and is high efficiency. What more do you need?

A Costco nearby? :happy

We are now fans of the Tide pods. No muss, no fuss. We decided that the convenience was worth the cost for us.

dratkinson

Postby dratkinson » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:24 pm

I seem to be creeping the other way, toward cheaper.

Generally use cold wash loads, with an occasional hot/bleach load.

Use to use Tide, but now use generic. (Cheaper. Can't tell the difference in cleaning. Fragrance is not that important to me. Last bought "Sun" brand.) Use to use powder, but now use liquid as it's easier to use.

I buy 1-2 gallon size liquid detergent container with included spigot, and store it on handy shelf above washer.

In use, I fill plastic measuring cup (cup = cap originally protecting spigot) and toss all (measuring cup + measured detergent) into washer. Cup is retrieved/stored, if not found after washing, then definitely after drying. (Just ignore sound of plastic cup tumbling around in dryer.)

I suppose I could look into making a DIY liquid detergent and reuse existing spigoted containers. If not too much trouble and cheaper, then why not? Just never thought about it before.

Currently trying to find a generic high-pulp frozen OJ to replace frozen Minute Maid Country Style.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

ResearchMed

Postby ResearchMed » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:30 pm

dratkinson wrote:
<snip>

Currently trying to find a generic high-pulp frozen OJ to replace frozen Minute Maid Country Style.

Is this because your laundry's lifestyle creep was to shift down?
:wink:

RM

Rupert

Postby Rupert » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:32 pm

Dottie57 wrote:I never knew laundry had a lifestyle. :confused

This thread definitely ranks right up there with the recent thread on how to save money on toilet brushes.

criticalmass

Postby criticalmass » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:41 pm

deikel wrote:My observation is that most water supply to the washer in the US is NOT hot at all and the 110V washing machines are not heating up properly...as a result you have to alternatively 'help' with chemicals to improve the sweat and grease and grime extraction process -

This statement does not make sense for several reasons.

Washing Machines

First, washing machines (traditional or high efficiency, top or side load) do not heat water. They are not supposed to. They accept domestic cold and hot water, and mix appropriately to obtain the final temperature. You wouldn't want a washing machine to heat water anyway, the water heater does it much more efficiently, especially if it is natural gas fired. The maximum temperature available to the washer is the same as available to any other hot outlet in the home, typically 120-140F.

Water Temperature and Modern Enzymes

Second, while warmer water can help dissolve dirt, this is not necessary in modern detergents. For example, many major detergents use enzymes that work at least as well in cold (unheated) water. The Danish enzyme inventions at Novozymes are used in Proctor and Gamble (e.g. Tide, Era, others), Uniliver (e.g. Wisk, All, others), and other detergent manufacturers. One of the major benefits of technology developments like Novozymes's enzymes (and their competitors) is the reduction of energy needed worldwide to get laundry cleaned completely.

There is no reason to use hot water in washing machines with modern detergents as they include enzymes, and hot water will also deteriorate fabrics faster (and deteriorate your wallet faster though the money used to heat water unnecessarily). So turn that selector to COLD and relax.

High efficiency washers do not use agitators and will also greatly extend the life of clothes versus the agitating washers.

CaliJim

Postby CaliJim » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:55 pm

I've been subject the same sort of creep. I even bought Oxiclean powder the other day.

You see - I can't get the stains out of my white flour sack dish towels. :annoyed I've tried soaking in liquid laundry detergent, bleach, and oxiclean.

What do you recommend?
-calijim- | | For more info, click this

Pajamas

Postby Pajamas » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:47 pm

Powdered Tide HE with bleach alternative was one of Consumer Report's recommendations a few years ago and I switched over to that and cut back on using powdered bleach. (I use powdered detergent because it is more convenient for the machines in my building.) It costs about $0.20 a load if on sale. It works well, as does regular Tide and some powdered bleach for colors or liquid bleach for whites as needed.

I also pretreat stains but skip softeners or any other additives. If laundry is heavily soiled, letting it soak for fifteen minutes gives the detergent more time to work.

It helps to get the correct detergent for your machine and water temperature for best results and the detergents for front loaders or cold water are formulated differently by the top brands. Less expensive detergents are fine if the laundry is not visibly dirty or stained but it may be cheaper to use a better quality detergent but less of it. Many people use too much detergent anyway, especially in front loading machines, and it not only costs more but can build up on the clothes.

If you are really concerned about laundry costs, washing in cold water and/or line drying will save a lot more money than using a cheap detergent. I have to pay per load so the cost of detergent and bleach are only about 10% of the cost of washing a load. I prefer air drying and it is free after buying the racks or line and also makes clothes and linens last longer.

Chip

Postby Chip » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:11 am

CaliJim wrote:You see - I can't get the stains out of my white flour sack dish towels. I've tried soaking in liquid laundry detergent, bleach, and oxiclean.

I'm really surprised the oxiclean powder didn't work. I've had very good luck using a lengthy soak according to package directions. It fully removed red wine stains that had set in cotton for weeks. And trust me, I was an oxiclean skeptic.

America's Test Kitchen tested stain removers within the last couple of years on heavily stained white kitchen towels. My recollection is that oxiclean powder was their pick, though sometimes they used two full soaking treatments/wash cycles to fully get out the toughest stains.

Plan B: Buy new towels with all the money you've saved following Boglehead principles. :)

CaliJim

Postby CaliJim » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:59 pm

Chip wrote:
CaliJim wrote:You see - I can't get the stains out of my white flour sack dish towels. I've tried soaking in liquid laundry detergent, bleach, and oxiclean.

I'm really surprised the oxiclean powder didn't work. I've had very good luck using a lengthy soak according to package directions. It fully removed red wine stains that had set in cotton for weeks. And trust me, I was an oxiclean skeptic.

America's Test Kitchen tested stain removers within the last couple of years on heavily stained white kitchen towels. My recollection is that oxiclean powder was their pick, though sometimes they used two full soaking treatments/wash cycles to fully get out the toughest stains.

Plan B: Buy new towels with all the money you've saved following Boglehead principles. :)

My bad... I wasn't totally clear.... I tried soaking only in laundry detergent, the bleach and oxi I only used in the washer itself. OK...i'm heading off to get a bucket and soak in oxi.... hold on... I'll get back to you!
Last edited by CaliJim on Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

rockonhumblepie

Postby rockonhumblepie » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:23 pm

A couple years back AARP had a list of 99 ways to save $$. One we use is Dawn dish soap for our laundry.Don't need much,tablespoon and a half for normal loads.We use Costco bought Oxy-clean with whites.

We have 20yr old machines.Works great at fraction of the cost.

I would write more but got to go do clothes before DW gets home... 8-) rockon' w/ Dawn

Katietsu

Postby Katietsu » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:33 pm

My washer does provide water at an exact temperature as dictated by the cycle chosen. For higher temperature choices, this does mean that the washer uses its built in heater to raise the temperature over that of the incoming water supply.

I am a big fan of liquid Tide. I have tried the accasional brand on sale. I have found that the other brands have not done as good of a job with things like food stains. Also, some of those brands were not as concentrated. Since I had to use more liquid per load with the cheaper brand, my net cost actually increased. I use Oxiclean for specific uses. In general, I do not find that on a normal load it improves outcome over that of Tide. When I did go through a period of using Oxiclean on a regular basis, I felt that I observed increased wear on some of our things, eg jeans.

The type of water you have can also make a big difference in the best detergent.

telemark

Postby telemark » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:57 pm

Rupert wrote:
Dottie57 wrote:I never knew laundry had a lifestyle. :confused

This thread definitely ranks right up there with the recent thread on how to save money on toilet brushes.

I'm pretty sure my socks get up to things I don't know about. Sometimes they never come back.

CaliJim

Soaking in Oxiclean works!!!

Postby CaliJim » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:38 am

CaliJim wrote:
Chip wrote:

My bad... I wasn't totally clear.... I tried soaking only in laundry detergent, the bleach and oxi I only used in the washer itself. OK...i'm heading off to get a bucket and soak in oxi.... hold on... I'll get back to you!

Six hour soak in Oxiclean and then laundering in kirkland detergent + oxiclean removed all of the stubborn stains.

This is an unsolicited unpaid endorsement. :happy

anoop

Postby anoop » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:36 am

criticalmass wrote:
This statement does not make sense for several reasons.

Washing Machines

First, washing machines (traditional or high efficiency, top or side load) do not heat water. They are not supposed to. They accept domestic cold and hot water, and mix appropriately to obtain the final temperature. You wouldn't want a washing machine to heat water anyway, the water heater does it much more efficiently, especially if it is natural gas fired. The maximum temperature available to the washer is the same as available to any other hot outlet in the home, typically 120-140F.

Water Temperature and Modern Enzymes

Second, while warmer water can help dissolve dirt, this is not necessary in modern detergents. For example, many major detergents use enzymes that work at least as well in cold (unheated) water. The Danish enzyme inventions at Novozymes are used in Proctor and Gamble (e.g. Tide, Era, others), Uniliver (e.g. Wisk, All, others), and other detergent manufacturers. One of the major benefits of technology developments like Novozymes's enzymes (and their competitors) is the reduction of energy needed worldwide to get laundry cleaned completely.

There is no reason to use hot water in washing machines with modern detergents as they include enzymes, and hot water will also deteriorate fabrics faster (and deteriorate your wallet faster though the money used to heat water unnecessarily). So turn that selector to COLD and relax.

High efficiency washers do not use agitators and will also greatly extend the life of clothes versus the agitating washers.

Miele and Asko machines both have internal heaters that are capable of heating the water. Miele IIRC will heat it up to 165 celcius while Asko is even higher. Depending on what is being washed, heat is helpful for sanitizing the load and helps loosen some types of dirt (esp something like oils). I use hot washes all the time for cottons. In fact, I try to avoid buying clothes that will not tolerate at least a warm wash (woolens being the exception).

HE top load washers without an agitator are notorious for leaving clothes dirty.

Chip

Re: Soaking in Oxiclean works!!!

Postby Chip » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:29 am

CaliJim wrote:Six hour soak in Oxiclean and then laundering in kirkland detergent + oxiclean removed all of the stubborn stains.

This is an unsolicited unpaid endorsement. :happy

Glad to hear it did the trick. I must say that I have had very little success in getting out difficult stains, especially grease spots, without some sort of pre-soak or other pre-treatment. The TV ads make you think you can just throw it in the machine and magic will happen. Fuggedaboutit!

Earl Lemongrab

Postby Earl Lemongrab » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:09 pm

anoop wrote:Miele and Asko machines both have internal heaters that are capable of heating the water. Miele IIRC will heat it up to 165 celcius while Asko is even higher.

Hope you meant F not C there.
Today's fortune cookie: "You will do well to expand your horizons."

rbaldini

Postby rbaldini » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:15 pm

Sorry to not answer your questions, but... I wonder if this is even worth worrying about. How big is your laundry bill? 0.1% of your total expenses? It reminds me of the time I spent 10 extra minutes in the grocery store looking for the cheapest bag of rice - might have saved me a few cents. Ended up with a giant bag of rice I didn't like as much. In my experience, it's often not worth it to sweat the small stuff, if you can afford it.

centrifuge41

Postby centrifuge41 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:24 pm

student wrote:I used to use Tide. Now I just use the cheapest one and cold water. I don't see much of a difference.

Can anyone else attest? Tide is like ~$6 a bottle. I can get other brands for ~$1-2 a bottle with relative frequency. E.g. Xtra, Sun, Wisk, etc.

ThankYouJack

Postby ThankYouJack » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:28 pm

rbaldini wrote:Sorry to not answer your questions, but... I wonder if this is even worth worrying about. How big is your laundry bill? 0.1% of your total expenses? It reminds me of the time I spent 10 extra minutes in the grocery store looking for the cheapest bag of rice - might have saved me a few cents. Ended up with a giant bag of rice I didn't like as much. In my experience, it's often not worth it to sweat the small stuff, if you can afford it.

Yeah, it's not worth worrying about "lifestyle creep" with laundry detergent. It's not going to make or break someone's retirement. If the question is more about which products work better than that's a different story. I'm not sure myself, I wonder if Consumer Reports has done some thorough testing.

anoop

Postby anoop » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:50 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
anoop wrote:Miele and Asko machines both have internal heaters that are capable of heating the water. Miele IIRC will heat it up to 165 celcius while Asko is even higher.

Hope you meant F not C there.

Yes. Thanks for catching that.

abonder

Postby abonder » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:05 pm

OP here. I fully recognize that any laundry expenditures are unlikely to significantly impact ones overall personal finances/retirement planning. I think I was more questioning if the extra cost/effort of adding oxiclean is worthwhile. It's a cost I'm willing to pay presuming that it doesn't have any negative impact (toxicity, irritation, etc) and that there is some demonstrable utility. It sounds like prolonged soaking in oxiclean may be superior to simply adding it to the laundry. That's something I can take away and try...especially with the kids stuff constantly being stained badly.

I definitely saw some detailed consumer reports ratings of detergents a couple of years ago. I haven't seen more recently. Not sure that I can trust their ratings, much less their weird new scale. Not sure why they did away with the numeric 0-100 scale. Oh well. More to contemplate.

joe8d

Postby joe8d » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:36 pm

Tide.
All the Best, | Joe

criticalmass

Postby criticalmass » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:24 pm

Modern detergents like Tide, Kirkland, Wisk, etc. use new enzymes and perform better in cool/cold water. There is no benefit to heating water or using hot water, and in fact you cause more fabric deterioration and worse washing performance by using hot water.

Using "pod" formats does not improve performance, but have caused severe injury and death to young children. If you don't have small children, there's no harm--but no benefit either. The pod cost per load is also higher than liquid or powder.

Return to “Personal Consumer Issues”