AT&T cell: way to avoid paying for spam texts?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
CFIT

AT&T cell: way to avoid paying for spam texts?

Post by CFIT » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:28 pm

I have cell through AT&T. Since everyone in my family has iPhones we use iMessage for free and I don't pay AT&T for a texting plan. Over the last several months I've been receiving junk texts from the same business. Each time I dutifully forward the text to AT&T and block the number. Yet within a week or so I'll receive another spam text with the same area code and first three digits as the previous ones. Only the last four digits are different. These are phone-to-phone texts, not email to text. For each of the texts AT&T charges me $.10. Not a lot of money, but I find it irritating.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this? From what I've read AT&T will not disable texting for an smartphone on their network.

Thanks.

sonosoldi3112

Re: AT&T cell: way to avoid paying for spam texts?

Post by sonosoldi3112 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:37 pm

Like you I use I message and more often use my google voice associated number to receive texts which are then free nd also end up in Google mail. But as to your question .. I thought that if you do not open a text then you will not be charged. On the rare occasion I get a text to my ATT number I just delete it and block as you mentioned. Normally enough of text is readable ect to know it is spam and thus for delete.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:44 pm

sonosoldi3112 wrote:I thought that if you do not open a text then you will not be charged.
I think that is how my Verizon plan works.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:24 pm

CFIT wrote:I have cell through AT&T. Since everyone in my family has iPhones we use iMessage for free and I don't pay AT&T for a texting plan. Over the last several months I've been receiving junk texts from the same business. Each time I dutifully forward the text to AT&T and block the number. Yet within a week or so I'll receive another spam text with the same area code and first three digits as the previous ones. Only the last four digits are different. These are phone-to-phone texts, not email to text. For each of the texts AT&T charges me $.10. Not a lot of money, but I find it irritating.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this? From what I've read AT&T will not disable texting for an smartphone on their network.

Thanks.
I don't have an answer but I find it strange anyone in this day and age doesn't have a texting plan! (even if just 'text' and not pictures, text is cheap)

I get texts from USPS/UPS when packages arrive, from Amazon, for picking up prescriptions etc. Way easier then a phone call.

brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:26 pm

I pay the extra $10.00 a month for unlimited sms text on my family plan.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:30 pm

brad.clarkston wrote:I pay the extra $10.00 a month for unlimited sms text on my family plan.
My ATT mobile share plan is unlimited phone, unlimited text and a fixed amount of shared data plan. So no "charge" for texts.
I had this conversation with my sister. She was paying for texts on ATT. Switched plans to unlimited phone/text, plus data and it was cheaper than she was paying. It was a very old plan she'd never updated. Perhaps check w ATT?

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:44 pm

Back when I did not have unlimited text messaging, there was a way to notify AT&T of a spam text message and not get charged for it. Look up on their customer support website (or call and ask) if such a method still exists.

wtxdxer

Post by wtxdxer » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:31 pm

Call AT&T and have them disable texting for your number. I've had AT&T for years and before I had a Family Share Plan with unlimited texting I did not have a texting plan on my phone. I had them turn off texting. I used Google Voice for texting instead.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:58 am

Maybe look at a different plan. Pretty much all the family plans now include unlimited minutes and texts. You may be on one of the old ones where they wanted $25/mo for SMS.

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:22 am

My solution is I don't have a phone.
...I might be just beginning | I might be near the end. Enya | | C'est la vie

schmitz

Post by schmitz » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:11 pm

Tycoon wrote:My solution is I don't have a phone.
Doesn't help the OP at all.

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:53 am

schmitz wrote:
No phone = no spam texts.
...I might be just beginning | I might be near the end. Enya | | C'est la vie

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:03 am

Tycoon wrote:
schmitz wrote:
No phone = no spam texts.
Also means that if you are broken down on a country road with no way to contact someone or roadside service you are SOL. I'll take the spam problem, thanks.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Chris001122

Post by Chris001122 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:05 am

Consider switching to Tracphone? I have them as my carrier and I don't get charged for texts below my card's minimum. Plus, if I were to get too many, they don't have a way to charge me for them anyhow. I suppose they stop the texts beyond what I pre-paid for. Not 100% sure.

I got 1200 texts, 1200 minutes, and 1200 MB of data for $99 last April. Similar deal here:

http://www.qvc.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Luna- ... ml?sc=SRCH

"It's always been a mistake to bet against the United States since 1776." - Warren Buffett

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:15 pm

CFIT wrote:Not a lot of money, but I find it irritating.

If the business is located in your state, sue them in small claims court.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

mouses

Post by mouses » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:25 pm

F150HD wrote:
I don't have an answer but I find it strange anyone in this day and age doesn't have a texting plan! (even if just 'text' and not pictures, text is cheap)

I get texts from USPS/UPS when packages arrive, from Amazon, for picking up prescriptions etc. Way easier then a phone call.
I get those notices by email. Why should I pay for text, when email is free. I'm too connected already.

CFIT

Post by CFIT » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:13 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.

It isn't so much the money but the idea that I can't stop AT&T from charging me for texts that I don't want. It would be not much money to add texting to our plan but I don't see why I should have to.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:24 pm

Chris001122 wrote:Consider switching to Tracphone? I have them as my carrier and I don't get charged for texts below my card's minimum. Plus, if I were to get too many, they don't have a way to charge me for them anyhow. I suppose they stop the texts beyond what I pre-paid for. Not 100% sure.

I got 1200 texts, 1200 minutes, and 1200 MB of data for $99 last April. Similar deal here:

Target has an iphone 5s for $200 which works with tracfone, $100/yr for the 1200 texts, 1200 MB/data, 1200 minutes,
you never lose minutes/textdata of you keep service up.

Google Fi with nexus 5x: $250 for phone with 32 GB of memory ($200 for 16GB phone)
$20/month + fees unlimited talk/text $10 per Gigabyte of data.

brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:29 pm

mouses wrote:
F150HD wrote:

I get those notices by email. Why should I pay for text, when email is free. I'm too connected already.
E-mail is a IP protocal while text is sms that's apples and oranges.

brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:31 pm

CFIT wrote:Thanks for the suggestions.

It isn't so much the money but the idea that I can't stop AT&T from charging me for texts that I don't want. It would be not much money to add texting to our plan but I don't see why I should have to.

Because in a year the text charges will probably be more than the $10 a month plan.

brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:33 pm

Chris001122 wrote:Consider switching to Tracphone? I have them as my carrier and I don't get charged for texts below my card's minimum. Plus, if I were to get too many, they don't have a way to charge me for them anyhow. I suppose they stop the texts beyond what I pre-paid for. Not 100% sure.

I get unlimited minutes, unlimited text, and 2gbs of data for $80 a month from AT&T .. on a three phone family plan.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:38 pm

brad.clarkston wrote:

I get unlimited minutes, unlimited text, and 2gbs of data for $80 a month from AT&T .. on a three phone family plan.
The deal above was $99 for the phone + one year of service, not $960/year ($80/month * 12 months) Tracfone is not for everyone,
but is very cheap if you don't use much, esp. data. I turn data off, and only use cell data occasionally for email when travelling
(minimal data needed for email)