Protecting information on cell phone

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Hayden

Protecting information on cell phone

Post by Hayden » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:24 pm

I am going to be traveling extensively this year, and will need to do banking etc while traveling. I have installed KeePass on my Android phone and put my login info in KeePass.

It makes me nervous to have important info on my phone, because the phone could get stolen. What additional steps should I take to be safe?

Mudpuppy

Re: Protecting information on cell phone

Post by Mudpuppy » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:40 pm

Encrypt the phone and any SD card installed with a reasonably strong password (I say "reasonably" because entering long passwords on the Android keyboard can be tedious). Use a lock password instead of just a lock code. Set up a "find my phone" service in case it gets stolen, preferably one that supports remote wiping the device.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:51 pm

If you are really paranoid you coul encrypt KEEpass using one of the encryption apps.
Here is an example.
https://www.asus.com/zentalk/thread-60344-1-1.html

buccimane

Post by buccimane » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:51 pm

FWIW, if you're nearing the end of a phone contact, iOS is widely considered more secure than Android
A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still

Toons

Post by Toons » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:00 pm

Take full advantage of all security features in Settings.
Set Up option to remote lock,ring,erase device via google. :happy

https://support.google.com/accounts/ans ... 0500?hl=en
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:32 pm

I don't know how to do this on any particular phone but you should also partition the stuff you use all the time, and will access in public, such as GPS, IM and phone calls from valuable stuff such as financial accounts that you will only access in a safe environment. The two domains should have separate access controls (e.g. passwords) that way somebody who shoulder surfs the password and steals the phone has limited access.

Hayden

Post by Hayden » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:45 pm

Mudpuppy wrote:Encrypt the phone and any SD card installed with a reasonably strong password (I say "reasonably" because entering long passwords on the Android keyboard can be tedious). Use a lock password instead of just a lock code. Set up a "find my phone" service in case it gets stolen, preferably one that supports remote wiping the device.
Thank you. 2 more dumb questions.

I set up google find my phone. It said it only worked in the US. So, if i'm spending the winter in Mexico, this may not work?

To use Find My Phone, i go to a web browser and sign in to my gmail account. But, my gmail account password is stored in Keypass on the device that is missing :oops:
Right now, i only have to memorize two passwords (KeyPass and the phone lock). Does this mean i need to remember three passwords (KeyPass, phone lock, and Gmail)? I wouldn't have even asked that question when i was 20, but i'm getting older....

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:29 pm

Hayden wrote:
Mudpuppy wrote:Encrypt the phone and any SD card installed with a reasonably strong password (I say "reasonably" because entering long passwords on the Android keyboard can be tedious). Use a lock password instead of just a lock code. Set up a "find my phone" service in case it gets stolen, preferably one that supports remote wiping the device.
Thank you. 2 more dumb questions.

I set up google find my phone. It said it only worked in the US. So, if i'm spending the winter in Mexico, this may not work?

To use Find My Phone, i go to a web browser and sign in to my gmail account. But, my gmail account password is stored in Keypass on the device that is missing :oops:
Right now, i only have to memorize two passwords (KeyPass and the phone lock). Does this mean i need to remember three passwords (KeyPass, phone lock, and Gmail)? I wouldn't have even asked that question when i was 20, but i'm getting older....
Yes, it would mean that. And if you have Google Authenticator set up (which you should), you'll also need to take some of the one-time codes.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:55 pm

buccimane wrote:FWIW, if you're nearing the end of a phone contact, iOS is widely considered more secure than Android
+1
Recently switched from an old Android to Iphone7plus. Installed "OneSafe" for passwords which syncs to my MacBook Pro.

sksbog

Post by sksbog » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:12 pm

i would
1. register with samsung remote, if you have samsung android.
if you loose your phone, you can sort of erase remotely, (website claims)
2. use evernote to keep encrypted info. you can deregister the phone in evernote website, in case you loose the phone.

I would not focus on "find my phone" much. That indeed satisfies the curiosity, but will not be of much use for information safety. I would focus on software that keeps info encrypted and features that let you erase content remotely.

travel safe.

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:12 am

I use cerberus app. The moment you lose your phone and know it is a loss, just wipe it completely and remotely from a pc.

https://www.cerberusapp.com/
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.