Tell me all about snowblowers

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
catdude

Tell me all about snowblowers

Post by catdude »

Snow is beautiful but oh do I hate shoveling the stuff! So much so that I'm thinking about buying a snowblower. In my area we've just been clobbered by our second major snowstorm of the winter. And we've got aways to go till spring arrives. In a way, the idea of me buying one is kind of absurd... I've got a townhouse, and my property has a fairly small footprint. If I work at it, I can get the shoveling down in an hour & a half. But I'm 61, and no spring chicken, and the idea of swearing off shoveling snow for the rest of my life has a great appeal. Besides which, I could clear off snow for my neighbors too, so maybe they'll think I have redeeming qualities after all... 8-)

Anyway -- can anyone recommend a good snowblower? I've heard of ones being advertised for around $550. Can I get a good one for that price? What brand names are best? Any pitfalls that I need to be aware of? Any wisdom that y'all can share will be greatly appreciated!
catdude | | All generalizations are false, including this one.
whodidntante

Re: Tell me all about snowblowers

Post by whodidntante »

I have only owned one snowblower, an unremarkable two-stage 24" Toro. I paid about $500 for it. Like you, I have a small driveway. It's fine. My next one will either be battery powered or will have heated grips. I recommend avoiding the single stage ones. If those are fine where you live, so is a shovel.
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

There were some older threads about snowblowers....
That thread basically said-- Honda/ Arians / toro were the top units
Having also just got a second blast of winter with over 18 inches of snow each time-- we picked up a unit the week prior to the second storm : a troy built two stage 208 cc 24 inch for just under 600.

For best utility get a two stage unit (second stage is the impeller, behind the main rotating blade, which sends the snow out) with gas engine-- electric units don't have the required power-- and you might do just as good with a shovel.
Many units have apparently the same engine--208cc-- just badged differently, many/most are self-propelled, but require real effort to stear in heavy snow. (The older 179 cc engine was not as good nor powerful; there are more powerful engines but it sounds like you don't have much to push and it's not worth it for you) Your local hardware dealer// big box store like lowes /Home Depot/true hardware etc / and sears / tractor supply/ coastal all carry various brands and can be ~600 up to over 1k
On sale they can be lower, but in high season not likely to be -- if you can even find one. They had sold out after prior storm, got restocked and that's (unfortunately) when I got one But at 60, with knee replacement, and well over 450 ft to plow it was needed. it proved to be able to handle the load -- time will tell for reliability although the prior comments on the unit were remarkably positive.
Hint: use non-ethanol gas in it , dont leave gas in unit after season. Spray with silicone spray prior to use to prevent snow gunking up unit in heavy wet snow.
Last edited by Nestegg_User on Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Watty

Post by Watty »

johnny wrote:Any pitfalls that I need to be aware of?
http://www.amputee-coalition.org/snowbl ... putations/

At some point it makes sense to hire someone to do things like this for you.

Even if you would want to do this now when you are 61 you may not be up to doing it for long enough to get a good payback on the money you would spend buying and maintaining a snowblower.
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

I hear you. I'm not much different in age and I'm not loving clearing the driveway any more. Of course, my driveway is a football field long with a 5% - 10% grade up to the street.

It is tough to give you much of a recommendation without know approximately where in the country you live and what the range of storms you see. We also need to know the approximate size of the driveway (how long, how wide). I agree with the previous poster who said, two stage is generally required and heated grips are really, really nice. Also, ones with auto-turning or trigger controlled turning are very helpful to reduce the effort necessary to turn the machines.

I have an Ariens workhorse that I have had for twenty years and the damn thing won't die so I can get one with auto-turn capability. It is getting to be a bit much to horse it thru 180 degree turns at the end of the driveway. My sister has a really nice Toro with trigger control turning.

It is really nice if you can keep it in a garage and have electric start. If kept outside you definitely need a cover and electric start. Sure you can start it with the pull cord, but do you want to be doing that in a howling blizzard.
Topic Author
catdude

Post by catdude »

Watty wrote:
I'd say that's definitely a pitfall.

Maybe the shovel isn't such a bad thing after all.
Topic Author
catdude

Post by catdude »

Spirit Rider wrote:I hear you. I'm not much different in age and I'm not loving clearing the driveway any more. Of course, my driveway is a football field long with a 5% - 10% grade up to the street.

It is tough to give you much of a recommendation without know approximately where in the country you live and what the range of storms you see. We also need to know the approximate size of the driveway (how long, how wide). I agree with the previous poster who said, two stage is generally required and heated grips are really, really nice. Also, ones with auto-turning or trigger controlled turning are very helpful to reduce the effort necessary to turn the machines.

I have an Ariens workhorse that I have had for twenty years and the damn thing won't die so I can get one with auto-turn capability. It is getting to be a bit much to horse it thru 180 degree turns at the end of the driveway. My sister has a really nice Toro with trigger control turning.

It is really nice if you can keep it in a garage and have electric start. If kept outside you definitely need a cover and electric start. Sure you can start it with the pull cord, but do you want to be doing that in a howling blizzard.
Spirit Rider - I'm in Oregon. So it's not like I'm in Northern Maine. The last couple of winters have had maybe one major snowstorm (12 to 18 inches of snow) and then not much else. That was particularly true last winter. But we've already had two major storms this winter. My driveway is roughly 60 feet long by 20 feet wide. I also have to clear off the sidewalk in front of my house, and the walkway from the sidewalk to my front porch. Yes, I have an enclosed garage and that's where I'd store the snowblower.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

johnny wrote:
Watty wrote:
I'd say that's definitely a pitfall.

Maybe the shovel isn't such a bad thing after all.
You don't need all ten of them. :)

Most of the newer models I've seen for sale have a nice convenient metal or plastic stick attached right to the top of it so there's no excuse for putting your hand anywhere near any moving parts for any reason. But if you're going to put your hand in there, make it your non-dominant one. Trust me on that.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

I'm also in Oregon-- but central Oregon, but not in the city

(Store mine somewhere out back in the few acres).

WCI-- trust me, not about to reach in. I've seen results of other industrial accidents and even though retired, I'm still partial to my limbs/digits
goodlifer

Post by goodlifer »

I live in northern IL. We tend to see a lot of snow, but usually not all at once except maybe one or two times a year. We have a large 2 stage blower, but to be really honest, I would prefer a small single stage. I really can't tell you how many times my husband told me that he wouldn't bother dragging the two stage out and will just shovel. We have a 3 car driveway with about 50 ft to the curb, plus sidewalks. I have a host of health problems that are not beneficial to shoveling, so I either wait for my husband to come home and shovel or for the snow to build up enough to warrant a two stage. My husband is kind of attached to the two stage, so I'm thinking of just buying a small electric for when the snow is only and inch or two. I have no idea where we would store it because the garage is full, but I am assuming I can just hang it on a hook since there isn't gas to flood the engine.

I have had great luck buying our blowers and mowers used off of craigslist and other sites. People are always moving to Florida or hiring someone around here.
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

Ok, you probably really don't need the heated handles, but they are nice. With that small of a driveway you can probably get away with a 24" 2-stage snow blower. With the smaller size machine, power steering is less necessary, but again a nice feature. Depending on your outside lighting situation, you might not need a headlight. Like everything else features mean added cost.

You probably don't need the ruggedness (and extra weight) of the higher end machines. Probably a lower end Toro, Yard Machines, Craftsman, etc... that class of machine will probably suffice. Anything will probably be better than shoveling. Don't force things, let the machine do its work at the speed it can so do easily

Amputations should not be a concern. Don't stick appendages into rotating machinery. For that matter don't stick anything into rotating machinery. Don't be in a hurry. If you have to clear stuck snow and ice turn off the machine and disable it (switch, key, sparkplug wire, etc...). Use wood, plastic or other non metal tools to remove the snow.

It really boils down to using common sense. Don't have feces for brains. Vast numbers of non-rocket scientists have used snowblowers for generations safely.
Topic Author
catdude

Post by catdude »

OK, thanks for the feedback, folks. I'm much obliged. I think I'll be alright regarding amputations. When I was a kid, I used gas-powered lawnmowers all the time, and I somehow survived that experience with my hands intact. Chances are it'll be the same story with a snowblower.
red5

Post by red5 »

I use a 28" Ariens for a 300' driveway and can get it done in 30 to 60 minutes. That may be overkill for you. It is a beast. Also, I never ever stick my hand in there while it is turned on, not even when just the key is in the on position.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

red5 wrote:Also, I never ever stick my hand in there while it is turned on, not even when just the key is in the on position.
While this is good, don't want to lull people into a false sense of safety. Nearly half of all limb injuries inflicted by snowblowers occur when the engine is NOT running.

A typical scenario goes like this: You're clearing your driveway, and hit a bagged newspaper you didn't know was there. This jams the auger, so you shut it down to remove the blockage. When you do, the auger which was until recently under extreme tension rotates a short distance very quickly and forcefully, removing 4 of your fingers.

Moral of the story: ALWAYS use a tool to reach inside the bucket or chute, even if the engine is off. If you ever need to put your hands in there for any reason--to replace shear pins, for example--use the tool first to confirm that both the auger and impeller spin freely.

OP, where do you live, and what's the biggest snowfall you can reasonably expect to need to clear in a single outing? This will help us make better recommendations for suitable units. Regardless of what you wind up with, there will occasionally be very significant snowfalls that will need to be cleared multiple times--at least once while the snow is still falling--to prevent the accumulation from exceeding your machine's capabilities. A right-sized snowblower will keep those incidents to no more than once or twice in any given season, and none in about half of them.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

In my experience once you get over a foot of snow to clear it is tie to look at more powerful blowers if you need to clear large areas and throw longer distances. When you have a need to throw 12' further that 10 ' or so (20' wide path) the size and power of the engine is much more important than the chute size - that and self powered heavily treaded tires will make it much easier and safer.
We need to clear over 300' long and some of that is more than 25' wide here in the NE where we do get more than a couple of 12' deep falls each season. Not to mention the ends of our "U" shaped driveway where the snowplows bless us with that extra deep and heavy contribution.We have had a few blowers over the years but have settled in on one that has a 354cc blower which has a 30" chute easy steer and drive with heated grips - Sears had the best deal but the same blower is available under a number of 'brand' names. Just under $1,000 for a blower that will last as long as you need and/or has a very good resale value-
fishmonger

Post by fishmonger »

Another recommendation for Ariens. Simplicity's are also a great brand.

My parents live in NH and bought a Simplicity in 1981 when they moved into their current house. It cost a fortune at the time, but they just upgraded last year. That's with using it on average 6-8 times a year and doing basic maintenance. They probably would have gone through 3 cheap blowers in the same time frame
retire14

Post by retire14 »

I have a Craftsman 2 stage for many years. Get one with optional electric start. It's worth $100 extra.
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

whodidntante wrote:I have only owned one snowblower, an unremarkable two-stage 24" Toro. I paid about $500 for it. Like you, I have a small driveway. It's fine. My next one will either be battery powered or will have heated grips. I recommend avoiding the single stage ones. If those are fine where you live, so is a shovel.
Heated grips. A guy at the local golf course last week with a propane hand warmer mounted to the cart. Brilliant invention.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

A couple coworkers were just talking about snow blowers yesterday. Both had bought an Ariens "Northeast Build" unit that was built when Ariens ran out of engines and put on 412 units. These are 18 horsepower with dual exhaust and eat up the snow. They only made these one year and supposedly only 600 units, so you'll have to find one used. One of my coworkers just bought one for $1k.

I don't shovel and have never owned a snowblower. I use a Jeep with a Curtis snowplow and cleanup with a Kubota BX 18 hp diesel tractor with a bucket and 4 wheel drive. I actually like clearing snow, but of course for me it means moving a lever up and down and steering. My driveway is about 800 feet long with a hill and turn around area and circle.....aka: a lot of area to clear.

For this small area that you're talking about, why not hire someone? Chances are that you can find someone who is doing other units near you (pay attention when you get the next storm) and have them add you to their list. I know lots of guys who plow driveways and they're always looking for clusters of customers so they can cut down how far they have to travel between paying work locations.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

24" Troy Bilt two-stages from Lowes is on its 10th year. Makes a trip to the small engine repair shop once in a while but works great. I like the electric start too.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

WhyNotUs wrote:24" Troy Bilt two-stages from Lowes is on its 10th year. Makes a trip to the small engine repair shop once in a while but works great. I like the electric start too.

Do you get dirty carbs? The use of Ethanol greatly increases the need for service on these new units. My understanding is water droplets form on the needles, and over time leave deposits, and changes how fuel flows.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
thatme

Post by thatme »

I bought a monster John Deere (32", not even sure if they make anything this big any longer) 10HP snow blower off of Craigslist for $400 last year. It's awesome. I have a long, flat drive way that takes 2+ hours to shovel and this gets it done much better in 20 minutes. It's a beast for sure and you likely don't need something so large but don't discount Craigslist for one in good shape.

I bought this one from a guy who had 15 blowers listed. He buys them during the summer with clogged up carbs, etc... fixes them during the fall and sells them in the winter for a small profit. I would definitely buy another one from him in the future, you just need to find "that guy" in your area.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

"Do you get dirty carbs? The use of Ethanol greatly increases the need for service on these new units. My understanding is water droplets form on the needles, and over time leave deposits, and changes how fuel flows."

As with any gasoline powered engine that works seasonally - at each seasons ends where the unit has seen use you add a bot of fuel stabilizer to the balance of the last tank before allowing it to run the carb dry. Also suggest this is a good time to replace the lube oil and fog the engine for a long life.
At the beginning of next use/season add fresh new gasoline to the drained tank and off you go.
For this 15 minutes worth of attention these gas powered engines will start each season with no issues.
BeerTooth

Post by BeerTooth »

I have a two-stage 28" Troy-Bilt for the big storms, and a Snowcaster for the small storms (2" or less it's easier than shoveling or blowing)

https://www.amazon.com/Snowcaster-30SNC ... B008OHHVDA
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Search your local Craigstlist. I have had great luck with MTD Yard Machines. Yes, they are "lower end", but they work great and won't break your budget. I had a 5hp and moved up to the 10hp version for our big/wet snows. Both had/have electric start (plug in, push button, unplug)

Your sweet spot would be a 5HP, 24" 2 stage. It doesn't sound like you need anything bigger. Steer clear of single stage. They end up being more like a sweeper/broom.

For those pesky 1-2" snows, I highly recommend a Dakota Sno Blade. They make knock offs now that could save you a few dollars.

https://www.amazon.com/Dakota-SnoBlade- ... snow+blade

I can zip my big driveway off very quickly with the Sno Blade. Less effort than shoveling.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

My dear 86yo dad who lives in the great white north has a pretty big one with a very nice feature. To start it you plug it into the 110 volt socket and press a button, unplug it and go to work - highly recommended feature.
BeerTooth

Post by BeerTooth »

bloom2708 wrote:Search your local Craigstlist. I have had great luck with MTD Yard Machines. Yes, they are "lower end", but they work great and won't break your budget. I had a 5hp and moved up to the 10hp version for our big/wet snows. Both had/have electric start (plug in, push button, unplug)

Your sweet spot would be a 5HP, 24" 2 stage. It doesn't sound like you need anything bigger. Steer clear of single stage. They end up being more like a sweeper/broom.

For those pesky 1-2" snows, I highly recommend a Dakota Sno Blade. They make knock offs now that could save you a few dollars.

I can zip my big driveway off very quickly with the Sno Blade. Less effort than shoveling.
Ha! That SnoBlade is a nearly identical design as the Snowcaster - surprised one company isn't suing the other for patent infringement!
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

TylerDavis wrote:
bloom2708 wrote:Search your local Craigstlist. I have had great luck with MTD Yard Machines. Yes, they are "lower end", but they work great and won't break your budget. I had a 5hp and moved up to the 10hp version for our big/wet snows. Both had/have electric start (plug in, push button, unplug)

Ha! That SnoBlade is a nearly identical design as the Snowcaster - surprised one company isn't suing the other for patent infringement!
I saw your Snowcaster post after I posted my reply. Very similar. I've had a Dakota Sno Blade for ~10 years. They were made locally in North Dakota. The owner sold to a company in Minnesota who probably sold out to somebody bigger. No idea who makes them now. Even with a patent, you probably just make the handle different, make the blade 1" wider, bam..new shovel. :shock:

They work. I use mine a whole lot.
motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool »

1. Make sure you have a safe place to blow the snow.
2. Long narrow driveways work better for snowblowing than ones with square dimensions.
3. It's unlikely to be quicker than shoveling. We used to have a Toro single stage electric snow shovel, and it was faster than shoveling, and I never felt winded after. My muscles were often sore, though.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

I've had a 2 stage, electric start for year.

My wife won't use it, as it takes to much effort to move around.
It will steer easily if I only have a single wheel move, but it gets stuck very easily.
So I lock the axles, then have to heave the thing around. This also leave about 1/8 inch of snow
on the ground by design.

I bought a single stage (electic start). Now I don't even start the 2 stage. The single stage
has yet to have a problem, and it cleans down to the concrete. We haven't had more than a foot
of snow at a time in a few years. If we had, the single stage might be a problem. I still have the 2 stage
if that is the case.

I start at the middle of the driveway and blow outward, making every wider circles. It takes me about
30-40 min to clear a driveway that would fit 6 cars, plus the sidewalk. This is actually faster than the wider
2 stage would do it because cornering is quick with the single stage.
deanbrew

Post by deanbrew »

I am using a single-stage Toro that I bought in 2003. Single-stage blowers (or throwers, as they are technically called) are smaller and less powerful than two-stage blowers. I have found it adequate most years, so long as I don't let the snow pile up over about 10 inches. That means I need to go out in the middle of a snow storm if it's a big one. If the snow gets more than 10 inches deep, it's a struggle to clear it with my blower. But the positive side is that my blower is relatively light and compact, which means it doesn't take up much room and is easy to move.

Mine has a two-stroke engine, which is pretty powerful. I don't know if new blowers all come with four-stroke engines or not. Just thought I'd mention that you might not need a two-stage blower if a single-stage will save you money and be less cumbersome. But I admit I haven't looked at snowblowers in over a decade, so I don't know what's out there.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson
red5

Post by red5 »

lazydavid wrote:
red5 wrote:Also, I never ever stick my hand in there while it is turned on, not even when just the key is in the on position.
While this is good, don't want to lull people into a false sense of safety. Nearly half of all limb injuries inflicted by snowblowers occur when the engine is NOT running.

A typical scenario goes like this: You're clearing your driveway, and hit a bagged newspaper you didn't know was there. This jams the auger, so you shut it down to remove the blockage. When you do, the auger which was until recently under extreme tension rotates a short distance very quickly and forcefully, removing 4 of your fingers.

Moral of the story: ALWAYS use a tool to reach inside the bucket or chute, even if the engine is off. If you ever need to put your hands in there for any reason--to replace shear pins, for example--use the tool first to confirm that both the auger and impeller spin freely.

OP, where do you live, and what's the biggest snowfall you can reasonably expect to need to clear in a single outing? This will help us make better recommendations for suitable units. Regardless of what you wind up with, there will occasionally be very significant snowfalls that will need to be cleared multiple times--at least once while the snow is still falling--to prevent the accumulation from exceeding your machine's capabilities. A right-sized snowblower will keep those incidents to no more than once or twice in any given season, and none in about half of them.
Thank you. That thought has always been in my paranoid mind. I'll probably be considerably more careful for now on.
Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley »

I live in Minnesota and we typically get only one or two 12" snow falls in a year. I've owned both a two stage and a one stage. For ease of use and maneuverability I would go with a one stage electric start. Our one stage Sears lasted 22 years and might still be going strong if I hadn't hit a hidden piece of ice and bent the auger. I replaced it 2 years ago with a Toro.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Check out the Toro SnowMaster 724 QXE. It's a single stage with 2 stage technology per Toro. It has Toro's personal pace system to go forward and backward as well as power steering. It's way lighter than a two stage. The quick stick chute control is amazing for controlling the direction of the snow while you're using it.

I had this side by side with an Ariens Compact 24" two stage and I have to say everything about the Toro was just more intuitive. Don't get me wrong, the Ariens was quality but just bulkier and the controls were a little stiffer. I'm going to buy the Toro SnowMaster 824 tomorrow for the bigger engine size but it's identical aside from that.

Watch some youtube videos of this thing in action. It's something else. I did quite a bit of research and found the website http://movingsnow.com to be very helpful in my decision. This guy has reviewed over 350 snowblowers. Check it out.

Good luck!
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Just bought the Toro SnowMaster 824 QXE online from Home Depot. I used live chat to ask for a 10% discount, which I got. Couple that with a $150 statement credit I'll get from a Wells Fargo credit card I used (after $1k spend in 90 days) and 1.5% cash back (same card) I came down from, including tax, $966 to $707. I literally activated that credit card by phone while I was using live chat to get the discount.

I almost used raise.com to buy the gift cards but there is a chance it would code as prepaid gift cards which would not count toward the spend amount needed to get the statement credit. I could've bought the gift cards at about a $50 discount. That, and I read about Raise having some issues with fraudulent cards and I didn't feel like dealing with that.

Did you decide on a snowblower yet?
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
Topic Author
catdude

Post by catdude »

pennstater2005 wrote:Did you decide on a snowblower yet?
Not yet, no. My brother just got a snowblower (not sure which one) and I want to check it out before deciding on one for myself (he lives in this area). And we got more snow today, so I was stuck indoors... except for having to do a bit more shoveling this afternoon. :x
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

I am using a Sears Craftman snow blower, 9 HP, cost was $ 1,000 eight years ago. It works great on my 2 car width driveway of about 6 cars length. I use it when snow is more than 3 inches deep, otherwise I scrape and shovel, I am over 70. Snow sometimes is wet, with a berm at the road from snow plows, you need those 9 HP for that, and do it slowly after storms.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

Watty wrote:

Even if you would want to do this now when you are 61 you may not be up to doing it for long enough to get a good payback on the money you would spend buying and maintaining a snowblower.
I am 63 and have no problem operating a snow blower. Laying around instead of doing physical work is not good for you. Why pay someone to do something you can do yourself? I am planning to for many more years.
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

munemaker wrote:
Watty wrote:

I am 63 and have no problem operating a snow blower. Laying around instead of doing physical work is not good for you. Why pay someone to do something you can do yourself? I am planning to for many more years.
You sound like my old man (grin). At 79 I FINALLY got him to put his shovel away, but only by forcing him to take my two year old snowblower. And even then I had to come up with a cock and bull story about wanting a new one with a wider cut and heated handles........
Rattlesnake

Post by Rattlesnake »

I do not do grass cutting but still do the snow.... 26 inch Yard Man electric start 2 stage has served me well for about 10 years here in Michigan.... I think they go for about $600_$700 now days.... Do my own oil changes and maintenance....
9th Infantry Division LRRP (Ranger) | 1968-69
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

johnny wrote:
pennstater2005 wrote:Did you decide on a snowblower yet?
Not yet, no. My brother just got a snowblower (not sure which one) and I want to check it out before deciding on one for myself (he lives in this area). And we got more snow today, so I was stuck indoors... except for having to do a bit more shoveling this afternoon. :x
If you get a lot of 2-6 inch snows the 2 stages don't shine there. We get a lot of snows under 6" and that's why I opted for the Toro SnowMaster as it is a single stage (with 2 stage technology) which will clear down to the pavement but has the capacity for higher snowfalls and the 252cc engine will handle the wet, heavy stuff as well. Of course, I haven't used mine yet :D I'm going off of the reviews and videos from youtube. An electric or gas snow shovel is next on my list!
Ged

Post by Ged »

I live in Central Jersey a bit inland from the shore and we have the odd Nor'easter that drops 24" or so along with regular snowfalls anywhere from 1-8". I have a Honda 7HP 24" two stage track drive blower. The driveway is 2 cars wide and 80' long, plus since we live within a mile of a school we are obligated to clean the sidewalk.

The Honda is now 16 years old and aside from changing the oil, tightening the impeller belt once and replacing shear pins every now and then has required no maintenance.

I doubt I'd buy another track drive. It makes turning a quite physical operation. However it's quite possible that since I'm 66 this blower will last until I need to hire someone for snow clearance.

If you are going to have gas engines for work around the house I would strongly recommend using a preservative in every gallon of gas you bring in for this purpose. From what I understand Sta-Bil Marine is the gold standard of products of this type. I keep my blower gas tank full during the snow season then drain it through the carburetor bowl in the spring.
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

Lots of posts on this not too long ago.
Lloydo

Post by Lloydo »

I know it's the end of the snow season; but we got whacked pretty hard here in Eastern Pennsylvania today (12-20 inches and soaking wet due to sleet). I bought a Toro Snowmaster 724 QXE in the fall and got to use it for 2 minor snowfalls before this one. The Snowmaster is a GIANT single stage machine unique in the marketplace. Toro markets it as a cross between single and two stage and I really think they delivered on the best of both worlds.

A quick review--this thing outperformed the giant 2 stage machines in my neighborhood. I have a lot of elderly neighbors and my buddy and I did eight homes today, he with his two stage and me with the Snowmaster. What's good about this machine is the Toro "personal pace" drive that lets you move the machine slowly through deep snow. It is fairly light with no reverse gear needed. Not a single clog today--not one! In light snow you can walk much faster than a 2 stage machine. We powered through the end of driveway slop (3' high and wet) using 1/4 width cuts.

I'm enamored with this thing and would highly recommend it for the mid-atlantic climate with heavy, wet snow and the occasional nor'easter.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Lloydo wrote:I know it's the end of the snow season; but we got whacked pretty hard here in Eastern Pennsylvania today (12-20 inches and soaking wet due to sleet). I bought a Toro Snowmaster 724 QXE in the fall and got to use it for 2 minor snowfalls before this one. The Snowmaster is a GIANT single stage machine unique in the marketplace. Toro markets it as a cross between single and two stage and I really think they delivered on the best of both worlds.

A quick review--this thing outperformed the giant 2 stage machines in my neighborhood. I have a lot of elderly neighbors and my buddy and I did eight homes today, he with his two stage and me with the Snowmaster. What's good about this machine is the Toro "personal pace" drive that lets you move the machine slowly through deep snow. It is fairly light with no reverse gear needed. Not a single clog today--not one! In light snow you can walk much faster than a 2 stage machine. We powered through the end of driveway slop (3' high and wet) using 1/4 width cuts.

I'm enamored with this thing and would highly recommend it for the mid-atlantic climate with heavy, wet snow and the occasional nor'easter.
I got the 824 QXE - slightly bigger motor - and yes, they are beasts! I am going to have to wait until next year though for a big snowfall. They called for 4-8 inches here in Western PA and we got a dusting :(

The personal pace and quick stick chute control are things I cannot live without now :D
Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor »

Winter is not that far off here in New England, and I'm thinking of getting an Ariens 28" blower. I have a long driveway, and I've had it truck-plowed in past years at great cost. Now that I'm semi-retired I figure I can use a snow blower and do it myself. I've used a neighbor's blower a few times, and I had no trouble managing it. Kinda fun, in fact. And, I can do a better job than the plough truck.

One question: a co-worker whose opinion I highly respect mentioned that Home Depot sells a less sturdy blower - this is how, he claims, they are able to charge a lower price. He warns that you can buy a blower from HD thinking you're getting a good price, when in fact you're getting a slightly inferior blower manufactured specifically for HD.

Anyone know if there's any truth to this?

Also, getting one of these things delivered is expensive. Any clever way of getting around that added cost?
72 yrs. mostly-retired lawyer. Boglehead since day 1 (and M* Diehard long before that) under various names
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

It's mostly true. Ariens equipment is on a continuum, and HD only carries the lowest tiers. Avoid the Classic--big box trash built down to a price. Ariens doesn't even acknowledge the existence of these abominations on their website. This is what your neighbor was warning you about. The Deluxe at HD is the same as the Deluxe at your local power equipment dealer, for the same price. If you want a Deluxe, better to buy it from a servicing dealer who will set it up for you properly. The units at most big box stores will be assembled by a 17-19 year old kid working the night shift who's probably seen a snowblower before...maybe.

Ariens dealers will carry the Deluxe on up (along with the compact, which is smaller than you want). However, they'll also have the SHO (Super High Output) models, which come with more powerful engines than the standard Deluxe, and are not available at big box stores. In the case of the 28", this takes you from the standard 254cc engine to a 306cc, for an incremental cost of just $100. Worth the extra cost, hands down.

A dealer will also carry several additional models above these. The Platinum series adds a bunch of features, including a heavier-duty SHO impeller, cast iron gear case, heated grips, and a lever (instead of a crank) to control the chute. These have still larger engines--369cc for the 20, 24, and 28 (28 Platinum is Track-only), and a whopping 414cc for the 30"

There are also two dealer-only models with EFI (Electronic Fuel Injection). There is a Deluxe 30, and a Platinum 24 SHO. These have no carburetor, instead using a computer-controlled injector like your car. There's no priming, choking, or any of the stuff you typically associate with a 2-cycle engine. Just start and go. They also don't bog down, because the computer automatically throws in more gas when you dig into a heavy drift, because the knob controls engine speed and not throttle. I bought a Platinum 24 SHO EFI last year and adore it. The combination of their second largest engine with their narrowest bucket is absolutely unstoppable. It's not cheap, at about 50% more than the Deluxe 28 ($1800 vs. $1100-1200), but well worth it in my opinion. The Deluxe 30 EFI is $100 cheaper.

Finally, a dealer will carry the Professional models, which are definitely overkill for any homeowner with a driveway less than a half-mile long.

Many dealers will deliver for free, though I chose to pick mine up with a trailer because there was a major snowstorm coming. I also got 0% financing through my dealer, paying it off over roughly 8 of the 18 months they gave me no interest.
Last edited by lazydavid on Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
deanbrew

Post by deanbrew »

Many dealers will deliver for free,
That's what I was thinking, too. I know any of the non-big box dealers near me would deliver a snowblower for free.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

deanbrew wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:04 pmThat's what I was thinking, too. I know any of the non-big box dealers near me would deliver a snowblower for free.
Which makes it an easy decision to buy from a dealer. You get the same (or better, if you choose) equipment, set up properly, and delivered for free, for the same price as "you're on your own" at a big box store. Plus you start a relationship with a local business that will be there when you need help down the line.

My dealer also offers free pick-up and delivery for tune ups and repair services, and will store the unit over the non-snow months for a modest fee.
Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor »

This is all great info, thank you!

I went to Ariens website to search for local dealers, and of course Home Depot is listed - until, that is, you click on only "service" (choices are lawn, snow, service). Then HD disappears.

I notice that some dealers are identified as "Preferred Dealers" - any difference between "Preferred" and non-preferred?

Thanks for all your info above, it is really valuable.
72 yrs. mostly-retired lawyer. Boglehead since day 1 (and M* Diehard long before that) under various names