Can you recommend a good food scale?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
seashell

Can you recommend a good food scale?

Post by seashell »

I'd like to buy a food scale. I'd really love to hear your thoughts and get your recommendations. Any good brand to buy? Any to avoid? Anything else I should know? I've never owned one before so will be grateful to hear your experiences. Mostly I will be using it to measure out ingredients for homemade soap making so from what I read the scale needs to be accurate and the ingredients precise. Thanks.
Conch55

Re: Can you recommend a good food scale?

Post by Conch55 »

I am in the same situation, considering purchasing a food scale. DD recommended the Ozeri Pronto Digital Multifunction Kitchen and Food Scale. Runs on batteries so it's portable.
Tamales

Post by Tamales »

I don't know if this model is still available but an Ohaus Scout Pro SP2001 has been an excellent scale for that purpose. According to the calibration tag on the back of mine I bought it in 2007 so there might be a newer model.
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

I've been really happy with my Eatsmart precision pro, although getting the chrome surface was a mistake as it shows flour and mess so much more than a plain surface. No need to splurge on a scale. I use it mostly for baking where I need to be extremely accurate. Changed the battery only once over many years.
user5027

Post by user5027 »

We got an Oxo about 2 years ago and are happy with it.

Link
remomnyc

Post by remomnyc »

Our Salter digital food scale is still going strong 16 years later. We've replaced the batteries once or twice. Can't recall.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

I have tested a lot of the small digital scales sold on Amazon and they have all been accurate, just like digital watches, including from one to many models from these brands: Epica, Smart Weigh, Mira, Surpahs, Etekcity, Baflan, Famili, Amir, and Elec3. There are many scales that are very similar except for the color or details or type of display and many of the sellers on Amazon sell the exact same scales with different branding. The manufacturers in China must offer standard models as well as some models with options to be chosen by the seller.

Choose one based on the features that are important to you, such as type of battery (being able to use rechargeable AA or AAAs is convenient as opposed to coin or button batteries), capacity both low and high (important if you are going to use it for packages or for things that only weigh a few grams), tare function if it is needed (most have it), size and shape of platform, ease of cleaning. Some models include a bowl but I don't particularly like the bowls. The size of the buttons and ease of reading the display are very important to me and I prefer a backlit display.
Onion

Post by Onion »

I purchased the American Weigh Scales Table Top Postal Scale on Amazon. I use it for food and shipping - measuring portions, baking, and shipping. I've had it for a few years and I'm happy with it.
Quark

Post by Quark »

Conch55 wrote:I am in the same situation, considering purchasing a food scale. DD recommended the Ozeri Pronto Digital Multifunction Kitchen and Food Scale. Runs on batteries so it's portable.
We got https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003E7AZQA. Works nicely. Seems almost the same as the one you're considering.

Post by 691175002 »

You may need two scales depending on your recipes.

For soapmaking you are going to need something with 2-5Kg capacity, and scales of that size are likely to have 2g resolution at best. If you also need to weigh out smaller quantities you may want an additional 100-200g capacity scale with 0.1g resolution.

I keep different scales for tea and baking since the size and required precision are so different.
bb

Post by bb »

+1 for oxo (think mine might be 11#max)
Topic Author
seashell

Post by seashell »

Thank you all so very much. I really appreciate it.
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

Ozeri Pronto here. Works fine.

But you might want to read these recommendations:

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-kitchen-scale/
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

Quark wrote:
Conch55 wrote:I am in the same situation, considering purchasing a food scale. DD recommended the Ozeri Pronto Digital Multifunction Kitchen and Food Scale. Runs on batteries so it's portable.
We got https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003E7AZQA. Works nicely. Seems almost the same as the one you're considering.
I got one similar to that amazon one, but from ebay. A comment on a slickdeals.net thread said the ebay ones were cheaper and nearly identical, so I got this one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-5Kg-x-1g-Di ... 35bee8da29
It's gone up $1 but it's still only $7.80 and seems quite accurate. "Playing" with my kids, I showed them that 20ml of water is 20 grams, and measuring 100 pennies yielded the exact expected weight. Taring works well and it accurately reports back both positive or negative weights.

Actually, it's even better than that. Other sellers seem to have the same model for $5.50. Highly recommended, especially for the price.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Compact-Digital ... 7ERqN0P8ow
LeeInTN

Post by LeeInTN »

We use the Taylor 3831 and find it is quite accurate - not only for food/cooking, but for weighing packages for shipping.