Getting Subaru Legacy(4Cyl 2.5L or V6 3.6R?)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Buster65

Getting Subaru Legacy(4Cyl 2.5L or V6 3.6R?)

Post by Buster65 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:21 am

I have norrowed my car decision down to the Subaru Legacy. I'm tired of paying up for luxury brands (i.e Audi, BMW, Mercedes), I want AWD but the remaining question is should I get the 4 cylinder or the 6 cylinder engine. Any owners of this vehicle on the board with their thoughts on this?

DSInvestor

Re: Getting Subaru Legacy(4Cyl 2.5L or V6 3.6R?)

Post by DSInvestor » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:29 am

I do not have a Legacy but I have an Outback 2.5i Limited with 4 cylinders. I believe the outback and Legacy are quite similar. I find the 4 cyl to be more than adequate. I haven't towed anything but have taken it several times on cross country camping trips with it fully loaded with a Yakima rooftop cargo box.

According to Fueleconomy.gov for the 2017 legacy:
2.5l 4 cyl: 26MGG City, 34 MPG highway, 29MPG combined
3.6l 6 cyl: 20MPG city, 28MPG highway, 23MPG combined.

The feature I wish I had in my outback is eyesight which is available as an option on certain legacy trims.
Wiki

Maverick3320

Post by Maverick3320 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:38 am

2016 Legacy 2.5 owner here. The 2.5 has been more than sufficient for me, but then again I'm a bit past my speed racer days. The reviews didn't seem to be all that impressed with the additional horsepower provided by the 3.6, and the turn offs for me were the several thousand dollar cost increase and worse gas mileage.

From a bogleheads perspective, the 2.5 would seem to be the best choice. Really it's personal preference though.

PowDay

Post by PowDay » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:44 am

I have the 2.5L in my forester, adequate is the nicest word I can come up for it, and that is only when the car is mostly empty.

It's still the better choice, especially since the 3.6Rs are fairly limited production and hard to find, but know that you are buying a slow car.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:16 am

The 2.5L is adequate in the smaller Impreza/Outback Sport (the latter is no longer offered). Unless you're a very laid-back driver, I'd probably avoid it in anything larger/heavier. That means 2.0XT Forester or 3.6R Legacy. Unfortunately, both are range-topping models.

If you ARE a laid-back driver, the 2.5L is a reliable mill (with the exception of a head-gasket issue that I believe is finally resolved) that gets halfway-decent fuel economy. Otherwise, if AWD is a must (this lifelong Chicagoan would argue otherwise, but that's a whole other thread...) and lightly used isn't a problem, maybe have a look at the 2014/15 Toyota Venza V-6 AWD? Ford Edge also has AWD and a stout V-6. Both are crossovers, obviously, but way more car than SUV. Unfortunately, non-premium sedans with AWD are pretty rare.

dziuniek

Post by dziuniek » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:44 am

Buster65 wrote:I have norrowed my car decision down to the Subaru Legacy. I'm tired of paying up for luxury brands (i.e Audi, BMW, Mercedes), I want AWD but the remaining question is should I get the 4 cylinder or the 6 cylinder engine. Any owners of this vehicle on the board with their thoughts on this?
Both are really slow cars.

The V-6 makes no sense given the hit you take to the MPG for the measly 0 to 60 increase you get.

It's also dead last in the family sedan category according to car & driver.

No likey.

crit

Post by crit » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:00 pm

The 2.5L Subaru engine is notorious for head gasket failure (google it). This has bitten many, many of my friends who lovelovelove their Subaru, until it's painful. Do NOT buy the 2.5L.

ikowik

Post by ikowik » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:03 pm

Another 4-cylinder Legacy owner. This engine is more than enough for commutes and long drives at legal highway speeds, with enough to spare for safe passing. I have test driven the 6 cylinder, never owned one. It is smoother (the 4-cylinder does sound rather "agricultural", the CVT adds to that coarseness), but my opinion is to stick with the 4-cylinder to get best value for money.

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:32 pm

Cross-shop a VW Golf Sportwagen 4motion (AWD) and Alltrack. I think they offer a lot of value for the money (VW sales are still hurting and you can get thousands off MSRP, easily).

I'm quite happy with my 2016 Golf Sportwagen (FWD 5spd stick) and feel that with their current lowered prices, are a real value purchase for what you get.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:53 pm

crit wrote:The 2.5L Subaru engine is notorious for head gasket failure (google it). This has bitten many, many of my friends who lovelovelove their Subaru, until it's painful. Do NOT buy the 2.5L.
Wrong engine. The new fb25 engine is the "Toyota helped us" timing chain, not a single head gasket reported corporate wide engine used as a 2.0 normally aspirated in the Impreza, BRZ and Crosstrek, 2.5 normally aspirated in the Forester, 2.5 normally aspirated in Outback and Legacy and 2.0 turbo in the WRX. (I don't know which is in the Forester turbo). Only the STi uses the ancient EJ25 that in normally aspirated models has been plagued by head gasket issues.

To be more accurate, I'll say FA and FB as I get confused as to which is in which car without looking them up.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

lucky3

Post by lucky3 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:27 pm

I own an 2016 Legacy, 4 cyl. and I love it. AWD gives you a secure feeling in all types of weather.

Lucky3

mc2

Post by mc2 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:31 pm

PowDay wrote:I have the 2.5L in my forester, adequate is the nicest word I can come up for it, and that is only when the car is mostly empty.

It's still the better choice, especially since the 3.6Rs are fairly limited production and hard to find, but know that you are buying a slow car.
I feel the same with my 2.5 Forester manual. It's not very responsive or powerful. Since April, I've logged 7500 miles and am averaging 26 mpg in city driving. I don't baby the throttle either.

Ridley32

Post by Ridley32 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:03 pm

Forester 2.5 here. Sufficient pep; drives well. About 31 mpg in mixed driving.

hornet96

Post by hornet96 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:13 pm

I just bought a 2017 Legacy with the 2.5i engine in November, and so far I love it. For me, the power is more than adequate and actually feels as peppy (if not more so) than the old 6 cylinder Ford Escape I had previously driven for 11 years. I would not waste money on the 3.6R unless you plan to do a lot of towing in the mountains or something.

hornet96

Post by hornet96 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:22 pm

dziuniek wrote:
Buster65 wrote:I have norrowed my car decision down to the Subaru Legacy. I'm tired of paying up for luxury brands (i.e Audi, BMW, Mercedes), I want AWD but the remaining question is should I get the 4 cylinder or the 6 cylinder engine. Any owners of this vehicle on the board with their thoughts on this?

The V-6 makes no sense given the hit you take to the MPG for the measly 0 to 60 increase you get.

No likey.
Car & Driver's ratings of family sedans are kind of ridiculous if you ask me. I test drove all of the typical Boglehead family sedans, and the Legacy was by far the nicest of all of them (interior feel, ergonomics, visibility, ride quality, handling). Being the "slowest" of the family sedans hardly matters when we're talking about only a second or so of a difference going 0-60. It's not like we're talking about shopping for a performance sports car here. We're talking about people shopping for "boring" cars to begin with because driving fast or aggressively isn't really a top priority.

amarone

Post by amarone » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:39 pm

Had a 3.6 Outback. When it came time to replace it, decided to test drive the 2.5 also. Things were going fine until I said we need to try a highway ramp with an incline. We stopped the test drive after that and ordered another 3.6.

dbr

Post by dbr » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:14 am

amarone wrote:Had a 3.6 Outback. When it came time to replace it, decided to test drive the 2.5 also. Things were going fine until I said we need to try a highway ramp with an incline. We stopped the test drive after that and ordered another 3.6.
Lots of people find the 2.5 more than adequate even on upsloping freeway ramps. Other people don't. The issue is resolved by test driving the car somewhere the issue can be tested to the satisfaction of the prospective buyer. Nobody is pretending the 2.5 is a powerful, rapid accelerating vehicle. It isn't. I think people who want that might be happier in some other kind of vehicle altogether.

hornet96

Post by hornet96 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:18 am

dbr wrote:Nobody is pretending the 2.5 is a powerful, rapid accelerating vehicle. It isn't. I think people who want that might be happier in some other kind of vehicle altogether.
+1. This, exactly.

RustyShackleford

Post by RustyShackleford » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:41 pm

crit wrote:The 2.5L Subaru engine is notorious for head gasket failure (google it).
Only a limited set of model years I think, mostly the 1999-2004 generation. I've had 1997 and 2006, from when the 1997 was new through still driving the 2006 today, and nary an issue.

topper1296

Post by topper1296 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:49 pm

Another Forester owner here. The 4Cyl is fine for most drivers. It sure doesn't have the get and up go my old Acura did, but I also don't have to buy premium gas anymore. And like another person above alluded to above, my "drive it like you stole it" days are (mostly) behind me.

jucor

Post by jucor » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:00 pm

2.5 Forester here. Just drove it 1800 miles over the holidays - fairly loaded, plenty of power IMHO. Lots of torque, tends to do just fine staying in cruise at speed limit + 5 w/o only rare downshifts, even on long hills in PA and WV interstates. About 26 mpg on this trip, with 1000+ miles into a stiff headwind.

It has plenty of power, assuming you're not nursing some sort of F1/NASCAR Water Mitty dreams.

dziuniek

Post by dziuniek » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:09 pm

hornet96 wrote:
dziuniek wrote:

No likey.
Car & Driver's ratings of family sedans are kind of ridiculous if you ask me. I test drove all of the typical Boglehead family sedans, and the Legacy was by far the nicest of all of them (interior feel, ergonomics, visibility, ride quality, handling). Being the "slowest" of the family sedans hardly matters when we're talking about only a second or so of a difference going 0-60. It's not like we're talking about shopping for a performance sports car here. We're talking about people shopping for "boring" cars to begin with because driving fast or aggressively isn't really a top priority.
Although it isn't priority(for you?), it's still good to know. If it wasn't such a priority, maybe the you wouldn't be considering the 6cyl in the first place.

I will agree that what Car & Driver thinks is important doesn't have to be the same as what you think is important.

That being said, our 4cyl Outback drives just fine! (except for the CVT going bust and the engine burning oil like no tomorrow)

hornet96

Post by hornet96 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:51 pm

dziuniek wrote:Although it isn't priority(for you?), it's still good to know. If it wasn't such a priority, maybe the you wouldn't be considering the 6cyl in the first place.
I never considered the 6 cylinder. Where did you read that?

I'm admittedly just guessing that most people in the market for a boring non-luxury family sedan don't seriously consider the 6 cylinder either, which means speed and power aren't a top priority for this market segment - rendering the C&D speed ratings for these cars as kind of meaningless. Yet, your post seemed to imply it was the most important factor for the OP to consider, when he already stated that he had already decided on the Legacy (and thus is not looking for reasons to consider other cars).

btenny

Post by btenny » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:52 pm

I have a 3.6R limited Outback with a old style 5 speed automatic transmission. It gets about 25 mpg in mixed driving. It has fantastic acceleration under heavy loads and in the Sierra mountains. It is a lot quieter than the 4 banger. It is more reliable and does not have any of the long term oil or head gasket issues. It has a metal timing chain so no big $$ service for that item. It works great in snow and bad roads. But the passenger seat is not real comfortable for long trips.

A good friend has a 2013 Legacy 3.6R. She likes the car a lot. She got the 6 because it was quieter than the 4 banger and only slightly lower mpg. She also lives in the Sierras so she likes the good acceleration up hills. She does not like the low ground clearance of the car vs the Outback. It has high center issues on snow berms. She has the Eyesight stuff and really likes that as well but does not use it much as it is complex to turn on and set. But she is old school so maybe this issue is her skill.

Good Luck.

btenny

Post by btenny » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:09 pm

By the way all Subaru engines are flat configurations, so no V6. The 4 banger is 2 x 2 opposed cylinders. The 6 is 3 x 3 opposed cylinders. They call these boxer engines. This setup is one of the key things that makes the cars handle and drive they way they do. This flat engine sets lower in the car and gives the car a much lower center of gravity. It is also a lot safer in crashes and a good crash ratings. See here for more information. The flat six article talks about why the Boxer six engine is smoother and quieter than the flat 4 or a V6. The Porsche is the only other car that uses a flat 6.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat-four_engine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat-six_engine

Good Luck.

BogleBoogie

Post by BogleBoogie » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:01 pm

I've noticed what seems to be a Boglehead forum trend of Subaru enthusiasts. I've never owned a Subaru. I'm sure like most car buying, much of it is personal preference. I'm curious, from the Subaru owners on here what makes you a Subaru fan as opposed to other brands like Toyota, Honda, etc.? Thanks!

Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:15 pm

You'll want to test drive both.

I thought the 2.5 in my wife's Outback is peppy enough, we didn't even bother with the 3.6

btenny

Post by btenny » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:17 pm

Subaru's are great in the snow and mountains. They offer good features for the price. The Outback is a great car with lots of space and better features versus similar Toyotas or Hondas or brand X models. They last a long time. They are lower maintenance than a Jeep and get better mpg.

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:18 pm

BogleBoogie wrote:I've noticed what seems to be a Boglehead forum trend of Subaru enthusiasts. I've never owned a Subaru. I'm sure like most car buying, much of it is personal preference. I'm curious, from the Subaru owners on here what makes you a Subaru fan as opposed to other brands like Toyota, Honda, etc.? Thanks!
We own a Toyota Camry, Honda Civic and a Subaru Outback and I am a fan of all three brands. The Outback is the latest addition and is a perfect fit for us (me, wife and dog) as we like to take lots trips in WA, OR, CA, ID, MT, WY, UT, AZ, CO to visit national parks, camp, hike, snowshoe etc. The outback is a very capable car but yet has good fuel economy at least on 4 cylinder models.
Wiki

badger42

Post by badger42 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:53 pm

Owner of an older 2.5 Forester here. Lack of power has never been an issue. With the old 4EAT automatic, you do want it in 'sport' mode for a tight merge with an uphill ramp or similar - but it will do fine, even fully loaded. If you can't make a merge with that car, you might have better ROI on a performance driving class plus a 4cyl Subaru than buying the 6cyl :)

The combination of the 2.5 and the 4EAT is a touch 'agricultural', but gets the job done really well - road trips, light offroad, hauling 5 people and their luggage to the airport, moving surprisingly large pieces of furniture, hauling bicycles, hauling a raft on the roof (only once), etc. Newer Subarus have the CVT, which will get you better gas milage than the old 4-speed.

The only minor gotcha is it's a bit sluggish with 'California Special' 87 octane gas - it's fine with California 89, or non-California 87. (and you can use CA 87, but the sluggishness is noticeable - an enthusiast friend says it's closer to 86.5). Note that this is the old EJ25 motor, I wouldn't be surprised if the newer FB25 is better.

dbr

Post by dbr » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:10 pm

BogleBoogie wrote:I've noticed what seems to be a Boglehead forum trend of Subaru enthusiasts. I've never owned a Subaru. I'm sure like most car buying, much of it is personal preference. I'm curious, from the Subaru owners on here what makes you a Subaru fan as opposed to other brands like Toyota, Honda, etc.? Thanks!
My most recent car purchase was an Outback. I am NOT a Subauru fan. Being a fan of a brand is silly. I bought that car because on looking around the design and features of the car were the best fit I could find to my needs and likes including price and whatever expectation one might form of quality and reliability or lack of same. I looked at a somewhat similar Volvo and couldn't find any way to justify the higher cost though the car itself might have been the preferred choice disregarding cost. I am not sure how to reliably estimate the reliability of the Outback against any particular Volvo.

samsmith

Post by samsmith » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:51 pm

Own the Legacy 2015 3.6R. Debated a lot between the 4 and 6.
Ended up picking the 6. I am very happy with my decision.
I think the 6 has a very smooth and quiet ride and has better "pickup" on the few times I need it.
Now had I got the 4, my guess is I would have been satisfied with that.

Anyway, I would still get the 6 if I did it over (though I think you will be happy with either).

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:26 pm

I have the 2.5L 2012 Legacy. I have no issues taking on the socal freeways as I am a steady driver and lack the desire to put the petal to the metal to merge or pass someone. If you find yourself passing cars on single lane roads then you will need the V6. Otherwise, the 4 cylinder is more than sufficient.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

dziuniek

Post by dziuniek » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:47 pm

hornet96 wrote:
dziuniek wrote:Although it isn't priority(for you?), it's still good to know. If it wasn't such a priority, maybe the you wouldn't be considering the 6cyl in the first place.
I never considered the 6 cylinder. Where did you read that?

I'm admittedly just guessing that most people in the market for a boring non-luxury family sedan don't seriously consider the 6 cylinder either, which means speed and power aren't a top priority for this market segment - rendering the C&D speed ratings for these cars as kind of meaningless. Yet, your post seemed to imply it was the most important factor for the OP to consider, when he already stated that he had already decided on the Legacy (and thus is not looking for reasons to consider other cars).
I meant the OP, somehow I got your user names confused :) He did ask whether he should get a 4 or 6 cylinder legacy.

Edit: spelling.
Last edited by dziuniek on Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mlcolorado

Post by mlcolorado » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:21 am

Try the Forester XT (turbo 2.0) before your final decision. We had a 1996 2.5 4AT Outback Wagon and currently have a 2001 LL Bean 3.0 4AT Outback Wagon and a 2009 2.5 turbo 4AT Forester. (and a 2000 MB 2.4 supercharged SLK).

1996 Outback was great.
6 cyl 3.0 wagon is better.
turbo Forester just makes you grin.

I will be buying turbo Foresters going forward. Not sure when. Existing subarus keep running strong.

trasmuss

Post by trasmuss » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:21 am

We bought a 2016 Legacy in July and have been very happy with it. We test drove the 2.5 and had no problems with its performance (we didn't bother test driving the 3.6). It seemed especially snappy from a dead stop (not sure if that is the torque, the CVT, or a touchy accelerator).

We bought the Subaru for two reasons. The main reason was the Eyesight safety option. It seemed to be the best of all mid size sedans at the time. I highly recommend it. It comes with everything turned on which is the way we leave it. Every car should have it (and I believe will soon as mandated by the govt.). It is well worth the extra money. The second reason we bought the Subaru was to try AWD. We wanted to try it (although we've never had a problem with front wheel drive especially with traction control). We're in the middle of a Minnesota winter now so we will likely enjoy it. I do wish the ground clearance was higher but we wanted the sedan style and it shouldn't be an issue since the roads are usually plowed before we go anywhere anyway.

I was impressed with all the goodies that come standard with the Premium package. We didn't want leather and didn't feel the Limited version had anything extra that we cared about. The Premium does have some nice extras over the base model, however.

The bottom line: do a test drive and decide for yourself between the two engines (everyone is different). We're fine with the 2.5. Spend the extra for the Eyesight option; I don't think you'll regret it. Just backing out of a parking space or your driveway alone make it worth it.

FRANK2009

Post by FRANK2009 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:18 am

Another Forester owner here...I have a 2.5. Performance is fine. No odd noises, no oil consumption. That said, I do catch myself thinking "for a few thousand dollars more, I coulda got the turbo."

TOJ

Post by TOJ » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:37 am

The only problem with the 3.6 is you have to buy the upper trim with it, which makes it a ~$35k car. Then you paid $35k for a Legacy.

Frisco Kid

Post by Frisco Kid » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:13 am

The difference here is about torque, not acceleration. The 3.6 will be much less stressed under many driving conditions. I will also say that a second difference going to 60 mph is huge. The distance covered in a second will be quite large. The mileage difference and cost I agree do need to be carefully considered. I did test drive a 3.6 Outback recently before purchasing a 2016 Toyota 4 Runner. Outback is a good car, the 4 cylinder was inadequate for me and i didn't feel the 3.6 was a good value. Just my 2 cents................

jbuzolich

Post by jbuzolich » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:43 am

Matching most of these posts but my daily driver is a 2016 Legacy 2.5. Has plenty of power for full speed highway road trips and mountain driving. I could not care less about acceleration times in a car like this though. I was shopping by price, feel and look of the interior, what could fit my family, and how it drove. I did not pick it for all wheel drive but that was the only option. It's been a great car so far. One trip to LA and back plus three trips to Oregon and back already. Each about 7 hours one way. Cruise control with the eyesight and lane assist is wonderful. I paid $28,400 I think

Maverick3320

Post by Maverick3320 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:35 am

TOJ wrote:The only problem with the 3.6 is you have to buy the upper trim with it, which makes it a ~$35k car. Then you paid $35k for a Legacy.
+1. 10k more than I paid with the premium trim and eyesight package. Seems a bit pricey.

deanbrew

Post by deanbrew » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:55 pm

I have owned several Hondas over the years, and my wife has owned several Toyotas. I have never bought a Toyota because I have always preferred an alternative at the time (usually a Honda or Mazda); I find Toyotas to be boring, but they are undoubtedly good vehicles.

Now, I own a 2011 Subaru Legacy 2.5. I chose it over the Honda Accord and Mazda 6 mostly due to the AWD. I love the AWD in snowy and rainy weather, even though I know I'm giving up a couple of MPGs to have it. I have found my Subaru to be every bit as solid, reliable and high quality as Honda and Toyota. I had thought about buying a Subaru in previous years, but always found them to be cramped, with too little headroom. Starting in 2010, they increased the headroom enough that I comfortably fit.

In the end, drive the Legacy, Camry, Accord, 6, Altima, Fusion, etc. and decide which you like best and which suits your needs. If I move south, I probably won't buy another Subaru because the AWD will not offer enough benefit, but here in the north it is great.

As to the OP's question, it is one only he can answer. Yes, the 6-cylinder has more power. But it costs more to buy and gets lower MPG. It's a trade-off that can't be answered in a quantifiable manner, or even in a subject manner by anyone other than the purchaser. Obviously, I found the 2.5 to be the preferable option. I drove both before making that decision.
Last edited by deanbrew on Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

deanbrew

Post by deanbrew » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:07 pm

TOJ wrote:The only problem with the 3.6 is you have to buy the upper trim with it, which makes it a ~$35k car. Then you paid $35k for a Legacy.
Huh?? The MSRP for the Legacy Limited (top trim level) is $29,660 for the 2.5 and $32,460 for the 3.6. So, the larger engine costs nearly $3k more, but it doesn't take it up to $35k. And that's MSRP. There is less of a spread for the invoice prices (which are closer to real-world prices). Now, I'm not saying you can't option up the car by a couple more thousand, but the limited is pretty feature-laden without any options.

And, BTW, the average new car price in the US as of 2015 was $33,419, so why the dig on a "Legacy" costing $35k?
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:44 pm

deanbrew wrote:
Huh?? The MSRP for the Legacy Limited (top trim level) is $29,660 for the 2.5 and $32,460 for the 3.6. So, the larger engine costs nearly $3k more, but it doesn't take it up to $35k. And that's MSRP. There is less of a spread for the invoice prices (which are closer to real-world prices). Now, I'm not saying you can't option up the car by a couple more thousand, but the limited is pretty feature-laden without any options.
I think that TOJ's point was that if you want the 3.6R you're getting the 3.6R Limited for $31,640. If you want the 4 cyl 2.5i, you can choose any of 4 trims (2.5i $21,995, 2.5i $23,995, 2.5i Sport $25,995 or 2.5i limited $28,840).

Maverick posted that he got a 2.5i Premium with Eyesight for around $23K. A good choice for those who do not want leather seats.
Wiki

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:56 pm

I have the 2.5L Outback, highest trim with all the safety features. 2.5 is fine for us as I'm sure a little extra pickup isn't going to make the thing feel like my sports car. We love the car, especially the safety features, "luxurious" feel (at least for a Subi), the desing / space, towing ability, gas mileage, and x-mode is incredible in icy conditions.

I would test drive them yourself and find out which engine and trim you'd prefer.

deanbrew

Post by deanbrew » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:03 am

DSInvestor wrote: I think that TOJ's point was that if you want the 3.6R you're getting the 3.6R Limited for $31,640. If you want the 4 cyl 2.5i, you can choose any of 4 trims (2.5i $21,995, 2.5i $23,995, 2.5i Sport $25,995 or 2.5i limited $28,840).

Maverick posted that he got a 2.5i Premium with Eyesight for around $23K. A good choice for those who do not want leather seats.
Yes, if you want the 6-cylinder engine, you have to go with the Limited (highest) trim level. But you still don't get to $35k, even if you choose all of the options. But I get the point that the 3.6 is available only with the highest trim level. I chose the Limited trim because I wanted heated seats and some of the other niceties, but I didn't spring for the 6-cyl engine due to cost and MPG.

flyingbison

Post by flyingbison » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:29 am

I have a 4 cyl 2.5L Outback, and it is more than sufficient power for normal driving - though it was a bit of an adjustment for me after driving a V6 Maxima for 14 years prior.

If you wanted to tow with the car, if you do a lot of driving in the mountains, or if you just prefer a a little more zip, then I would probably get the 6 cyl. engine.

deanbrew

Post by deanbrew » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:15 am

flyingbison wrote:I have a 4 cyl 2.5L Outback, and it is more than sufficient power for normal driving - though it was a bit of an adjustment for me after driving a V6 Maxima for 14 years prior.
Ha. I also got my 2.5 Legacy after driving a Maxima for 7 years. The Nissan V6 is a terrific engine, and there is quite a bit of difference in HP and acceleration moving to the 4-cylinder Subaru. But I don't miss the FWD torque steer and lousy grip in the rain and snow in the Maxima.

Viking Too

Post by Viking Too » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:36 pm

I have a 2010 Legacy GT with the 2.5 turbo (sadly discontinued after 2012).

It's a very comfortable vehicle for long highway drives. Even the rear seats are comfortable for an adult on that 9 hour road trip: good seating geometry, and good head and leg room.

I recommend getting the 6 cylinder. I guess I'm still in my boy racer days at 55, because even the turbo seemed under powered when I got it. A bit of judicious tuning fixed that. No head gasket issues for me. Yet.

Even at 7 years old, there's lots of life left in this car (only 52k km). My biggest beef is the soft, thin paint on the hood that chips when you look at it. This seems to have been an issue with many Subaru models over the years.

Currently lusting after a VW Golf R as a replacement.

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:44 am

Viking Too wrote:I have a 2010 Legacy GT with the 2.5 turbo (sadly discontinued after 2012).
Currently lusting after a VW Golf R as a replacement.
Have you seen the Alltrack and Golf Sportwagen 4motion yet?
AWD, turbo wagons for under $30k. Add a piggyback tune and you're at GTI power levels...

We've been very pleased with our FWD 2016 Sportwagen (the 1.8T is efficient and still fun), although heading to Mammoth Lakes tonight and will miss AWD!