Website Form Builder

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
guitarguy

Website Form Builder

Postby guitarguy » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:04 am

Anyone by chance have a recommendation for a form builder type tool for websites?

Looking for something, preferably free but I would be willing to pay a small annual fee if it's worth it, that will allow me to pick and choose what fields I want, allow for a drop down menu, etc, and will simply email me when someone submits the form. I need it to look professional, so no ads or branding or anything like that.

I use Wix for my website, and they have a couple forms built in which have worked well so far, but I would like to create more fields and include a drop down menu and they don't seem to allow for that.

I'm comfortable only with very basic html.

Any ideas?

:confused

Loandapper

Re: Website Form Builder

Postby Loandapper » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:06 am

Google Forms will do all of this for free and with no HTML.

Pacman

Postby Pacman » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:08 am

If you use wordpress, you can just pick a theme (that looks professional), and then include in various "widgets" for forms or various things you want on the page. No coding experience is needed here. You can watch some youtube videos that show people building sites in the wordpress dashboard.

Carson

Postby Carson » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:01 am

Yes google forms are really neat. There are also add-ons that you can run to do things.

Eg, I did a potluck signup where each family picked their name from a populated list, and then the choices reduced as people signed up so we didn't get 14 bags of chips
30-something personal finance enthusiast, just get getting started on this whole portfolio thing.

arizonaslim

Postby arizonaslim » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:07 am

Been using WordPress for, oh, a decade. In my opinion, the best form builder is Ninja Forms. Like many WP plugins, there's a free version and a souped up version that you can pay for. Link:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/ninja-forms/

guitarguy

Postby guitarguy » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:46 pm

arizonaslim wrote:Been using WordPress for, oh, a decade. In my opinion, the best form builder is Ninja Forms. Like many WP plugins, there's a free version and a souped up version that you can pay for. Link:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/ninja-forms/

Can I still use something like this if I don't move my website from Wix to Wordpress?

Forgive my lack of knowledge on this. How I've managed to put together a decent looking website with such minimal knowledge in the area is kind of beyond me. :|

physiorol

Postby physiorol » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:50 pm

Squarespace is really cool. There is a small monthly fee but everything is seemless and no coding is required. But I believe you can do custom coding if you want.

brad.clarkston

Postby brad.clarkston » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:54 pm

physiorol wrote:Squarespace is really cool. There is a small monthly fee but everything is seemless and no coding is required. But I believe you can do custom coding if you want.

+1 for Squarespace. It's the best of the best for template building websites and it's a true big boy host you won't be going down due to load.

arizonaslim

Postby arizonaslim » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:28 pm

In answer to guitarguy's question: You can use WordPress plugins on WordPress-powered websites. And that's it. Sorry, they won't work on Wix or Squarespace.

The upside of using WordPress: If you want design control over your site, you have thousands of themes to choose from. And customize. Or you can create your own theme. Want to do some custom programming? Have at it! WordPress has great developer tools.

The downside of using WordPress: It isn't as plug and play as, say, Wix or Squarespace. Here's an example of what I mean ...

I've been running my own WP-based site for 10 years. I recently redesigned it to display on every kind of device from a smartphone to a desktop computer. But I still have to make periodic updates.

Like, for example, updating a plugin like Ninja Forms. In order to do that, I'll need to make a backup of the site. And then I do the plugin update.

After it's done, I head over to my contact form page, fill it out, and hit the submit button. I do this in order to test the plugin update. Is it working properly? Great! If not, it's time to revert the site to the backup that I just created.

In short, you're going to need to develop a body of knowledge if you want to work with WordPress. Not your thing? Then you'd be better off with Wix or Squarespace.

Return to “Personal Consumer Issues”