best way to buy TaxAct

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
gabriel1970

best way to buy TaxAct

Post by gabriel1970 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:40 pm

At this point I see that if I want to buy the TaxAct plus download version, I can get it for $40 from its website? Is there any way to a better deal?

Pajamas

Re: best way to buy TaxAct

Post by Pajamas » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:26 am

Apparently so. I called them last week to confirm that $40 was the lowest offer for a 1040 with one state and e-filing for both. I told her that I had paid under $14 for a least the last three years and her response was that $40 is "lower than the competition."

I guess if they sell half as many at almost three times the price, they will come out ahead with gross sales and save money on customer service, too. However, I had rather irrationally pay slightly more elsewhere (if that is truly the case) than give my money to them with that kind of increase.

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:36 pm

I'm in the same situation. In prior years I took advantage of their early offers and got it cheap. Somehow this year I missed that, so I'm trying to decide what to do. $40 is more than I want to pay.

Maybe it's time to switch software.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:58 pm

Steelersfan wrote:I'm in the same situation. In prior years I took advantage of their early offers and got it cheap. Somehow this year I missed that, so I'm trying to decide what to do. $40 is more than I want to pay.

Apparently there was no cheap early offer this year. :x

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:23 pm

I'm considering buying just the Federal edition. It's only $15, then skip the state edition which adds $25 to get to the $40 total.

It's not too hard to pick up the federal numbers and plug them into a state printed form, at least for my state.

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:14 pm

I locked in the low price early in 2016.
The 'low price' is
30.00 fed and state included.
Has It gone up?
Yes.
Do I care ?
No.
Everybody has to make a living.
Considering what the stock markets have been giving us since 2008.
It is a pittance.
Ask yourself what a CPA would charge to plug numbers in software.
:sharebeer
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

tfb

Post by tfb » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:56 pm

gabriel1970 wrote:At this point I see that if I want to buy the TaxAct plus download version, I can get it for $40 from its website? Is there any way to a better deal?
A better deal is to buy different software. I paid $9.95 + tax when I bought H&R Block Deluxe with state, download version, from H&R Block directly.
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.

William4u

Post by William4u » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:27 pm

I got sick of taxact raising prices like this. I noticed a lot of bogleheads recently recommending freetaxusa.com. I have done much of my 2016 taxes on freetaxusa already and it works just as well as taxact but doesn't cost nearly as much (especially for long term capital gains stock sales, which taxact charges extra for but freetaxusa does not).

Freetaxusa can pull in your last year's info from taxact, which makes things easy. I'd do the switch if I were you (as I have). I have not found switching difficult at all.

Basically, freetaxusa is essentially just like taxact but much cheaper. I think it is $12.95 for both state and federal (less if you can find their coupon). Freetaxusa is free for just about any federal tax return.

DISCLAIMER: I have no incentives from or connections to Freetaxusa. I'm just a recent convert.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:35 pm

I have been a TurboTax guy for several years, but I caught a very reasonable Amazon Deal for H&R Block.

If I can't deal with the software, it will have been a pretty cheap experiment and I'll just download TurboTax and never stray again.

It seems they all raise prices as the years go by. It only makes sense that as TurboTax increases their price, their lower cost competitors will maintain the same gap.

travellight

Post by travellight » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:15 am

does freetaxusa do the more complex taxes such as for those who have investment real estate? ... and back door roth iras?

riley42

Post by riley42 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:54 pm

Does anyone using the FreetaxUSA software or others like it that store the returns in the cloud have any reservations about security vs using the products that you can download on your computer and that are stored in your computer only? Has anyone ever had a problem with any of these online free tax sites being hacked?

grettman

Post by grettman » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:30 pm

Toons wrote:I locked in the low price early in 2016.
The 'low price' is
Has It gone up?
Yes.
Do I care ?
No.
It is a pittance.
Exactly. I am trying to do a better job of not grappling over the peanuts. Spending an hour or more searching to save a few bucks costs me more in terms of stress and wasting time. I would rather have that hour doing something else.

mikep

Post by mikep » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:54 pm

Freetaxusa.com is 25% cash back and 10% off with coupon through ebates.

Toons

Post by Toons » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:44 pm

grettman wrote:
The 'low price' is
Has It gone up?
Yes.
Do I care ?
No.
It is a pittance.
Exactly. I am trying to do a better job of not grappling over the peanuts. Spending an hour or more searching to save a few bucks costs me more in terms of stress and wasting time. I would rather have that hour doing something else.
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

thebigad

Post by thebigad » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:14 am

Here's a deal: https://www.taxact.com/applications/fil ... 0&mpch=ads

Premium Federal and State E-filed: $27.50

Make sure you scroll down and click on the one you want to get the deal. If you already started a return in TaxAct before clicking this deal, the pricing may not work. In that case, I'm told you have to delete your return, log out, and then click the offer link.

Good luck.

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:31 am

thebigad wrote:Here's a deal: https://www.taxact.com/applications/fil ... 0&mpch=ads

Make sure you scroll down and click on the one you want to get the deal. If you already started a return in TaxAct before clicking this deal, the pricing may not work. In that case, I'm told you have to delete your return, log out, and then click the offer link.

Good luck.
That's the price if you use their online service.

Many of us want to download and install the software on our PC.

*3!4!/5!

Post by *3!4!/5! » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:32 am

An earlier TaxACT discussion, including the missing pre-purchase offer mystery
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=201438

Post by 2015 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:12 pm

William4u wrote:I got sick of taxact raising prices like this. I noticed a lot of bogleheads recently recommending freetaxusa.com. I have done much of my 2016 taxes on freetaxusa already and it works just as well as taxact but doesn't cost nearly as much (especially for long term capital gains stock sales, which taxact charges extra for but freetaxusa does not).

Freetaxusa can pull in your last year's info from taxact, which makes things easy. I'd do the switch if I were you (as I have). I have not found switching difficult at all.

Basically, freetaxusa is essentially just like taxact but much cheaper. I think it is $12.95 for both state and federal (less if you can find their coupon). Freetaxusa is free for just about any federal tax return.

DISCLAIMER: I have no incentives from or connections to Freetaxusa. I'm just a recent convert.
Except, Freetaxusa is $12.95 for the online version (no download version--you can't do tax modelling with online versions). There can be so much misinformation on this board at times. How many times do I have to post that I got the pre-order this year for both state and fed for download from Taxact for only $28, just $9 more than I paid last year. Their prices didn't "jump", and getting the deal wasn't rocket science. And you bet it's cheaper than TT and H&R block (without all the "missing forms" hassle).

Bob B

Post by Bob B » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:26 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Yes there was - Black Friday sale for $28 (2016 Plus Edition with State return, download version.) I missed the date, but I emailed them on Dec. 1 and they honored the $28 price for me. In spite of all of the TaxAct nastyness here, I was a happy customer.
Regards, | Bob | Wiki

Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:01 pm

hmm it looks like with the 50% off link, I can get the Plus version, which is what I need, + state for $22.50, which isn't bad, but it's not great.

Looks like my "reserved" price for the premium plus state is $27, which matches the 50% off link.

I have both saved in my taxact account for when I finally get around to filing.

*3!4!/5!

Post by *3!4!/5! » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:25 pm

Bob B wrote:
Pajamas wrote:
Steelersfan wrote:I'm in the same situation. In prior years I took advantage of their early offers and got it cheap. Somehow this year I missed that, so I'm trying to decide what to do. $40 is more than I want to pay.

Yes there was - Black Friday sale for $28 (2016 Plus Edition with State return, download version.) I missed the date, but I emailed them on Dec. 1 and they honored the $28 price for me. In spite of all of the TaxAct nastyness here, I was a happy customer.
That's something different. What "Steelersfan" and "Pajamas" are apparently referring to is the fact that for several years in a row (in about June each year) TaxACT would send out an email to previous purchasers to pre-order the next TaxACT at a discount. But they did not send out such an email in mid-2016. So no-one "missed" the email. Instead, TaxACT stopped doing that.

This was also discussed in an earlier TaxACT thread, including the missing pre-purchase offer mystery

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:49 pm

I always bought the CD for $5 more. Alas, no more.
Bought H&R Block Delux on sale at FredMeyer-Kroger $35, Box is still unopened and I am still debating.
I have done most of the work on TA16 but filing will cost the $40.
We will file using a tax preparer/accountant. I want his tax advice more than the preparation.
YMMV
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

rr2

Post by rr2 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:34 pm

Using thebigad's link, I was able to get the online Plus version (federal+state) for $20. Thanks.
Last edited by rr2 on Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:00 pm

incidentally, last year looking at slickdeals, it looks like Taxact went on sale in March also.

different owners this time so who knows.

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:09 pm

As you look at these "deals", make sure you know whether you're getting a software download to your PC and keeping your tax data private on your PC, or using that service's online version where they retain all your tax data. The later are cheaper.

Some of us care a lot, many of us don't care at all.

chonp3

Post by chonp3 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:31 pm

I don't know how it happened, but I applied during the black friday deal and received a premium edition fed/state for free. Figured must be a mistake, but I filed last week and it was indeed no cost.

*3!4!/5!

Post by *3!4!/5! » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:33 pm

chonp3 wrote:I don't know how it happened, but I applied during the black friday deal and received a premium edition fed/state for free. Figured must be a mistake, but I filed last week and it was indeed no cost.
Congratulations, you win the thread. :happy

mikep

Post by mikep » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:32 pm

taxhawk.com is free federal & state for first time filers. I was about to use freetaxusa, but I'll use them instead since they are the same company. Since they are free they look like a far better alternative than credit karma.

Taxhawk didn't work for me since they can't handle an adjustment code for incorrect cost basis on schedule D, so its back to taxact. Good thing I locked in the $27.50 from this thread as a backup.
Last edited by mikep on Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 2015 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:48 pm

*3!4!/5! wrote:
Bob B wrote:
Pajamas wrote:

That's something different. What "Steelersfan" and "Pajamas" are apparently referring to is the fact that for several years in a row (in about June each year) TaxACT would send out an email to previous purchasers to pre-order the next TaxACT at a discount. But they did not send out such an email in mid-2016. So no-one "missed" the email. Instead, TaxACT stopped doing that.

This was also discussed in an earlier TaxACT thread, including the missing pre-purchase offer mystery
Wrong. As I noted above, I got the email in either September or October. Then I pre-ordered. And got the discount of $28. Nothing nasty about it. I've noticed when people start b*tching in these forums, there tends to be a lot of disinformation at times.

oldzey

Post by oldzey » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:50 pm

Toons wrote:
grettman wrote:
The 'low price' is
Has It gone up?
Yes.
Do I care ?
No.
It is a pittance.
This.

+2

"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman

*3!4!/5!

Post by *3!4!/5! » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:09 pm

2015 wrote:
*3!4!/5! wrote:
Bob B wrote:
Pajamas wrote:

Wrong. As I noted above, I got the email in either September or October. Then I pre-ordered. And got the discount of $28. Nothing nasty about it. I've noticed when people start b*tching in these forums, there tends to be a lot of disinformation at times.
Read the other thread. Thrice.

Post by 2015 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:22 pm

*3!4!/5! wrote:
2015 wrote:
*3!4!/5! wrote:
Bob B wrote:
Pajamas wrote:

Read the other thread. Thrice.
I did read that thread more than "thrice" as I followed it since it's inception (in fact, that's how I found out the preview was available in December). You state TA stopped sending out a pre-order emails and I'm saying that is incorrect. Again, I pre-ordered as I always do after I received the pre-order email from TA in Fall 2016 (it wasn't any cyber sale, which I never heard of until that thread), got the fed/state download version for $28, which was only $9 more than I paid last year. What's more, even though I pre-ordered in the Fall, TA didn't charge my CC until late December after the preview version became available.

Dolomite

Post by Dolomite » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:32 am

thebigad wrote:Here's a deal: https://www.taxact.com/applications/fil ... 0&mpch=ads

Good luck.
Hi all,
I saw this link a bit late in the game here, and the price for online Plus with NY State is now $60.

misterno

Post by misterno » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:25 pm

creditkarma.com/tax

free no matter how much you make

AnonJohn

Post by AnonJohn » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:19 pm

Word of warning from my experience. Tried to use the link from bigdad (above), back when he posted it. Started my return then, with a nice screen that said "Fed + State TaxAct Plus = $14.98". Took a screenshot.

Having finally gotten through all the work, TaxAct now wants to charge me $60 for Fed + State. I've asked customer service, but fear I'll be starting over somewhere else. We'll see. Bait and switch is very annoying.

This was my third year with TaxAct. Had been happy until now ...

John

*3!4!/5!

Post by *3!4!/5! » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:20 pm

AnonJohn wrote:Word of warning from my experience. Tried to use the link from bigdad (above), back when he posted it. Started my return then, with a nice screen that said "Fed + State TaxAct Plus = $14.98". Took a screenshot.

Having finally gotten through all the work, TaxAct now wants to charge me $60 for Fed + State. I've asked customer service, but fear I'll be starting over somewhere else. We'll see. Bait and switch is very annoying.

This was my third year with TaxAct. Had been happy until now ...
I'm trying to understand this scenario. Could you explain a little more how they are trying to charge a different price than what you thought it was? Was this online or download format?

I've been using TaxACT (download) for several years, and I had a moderate price increase this time, but I don't want a big jump, and I don't want to mess around searching for a good price, but I also definitely want to know how to avoid your scenario.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:50 pm

My income was actually low enough this year that I am able to use TaxAct for federal and state at no charge by going through the IRS website. Imports previous years' data and everything. Probably could have used it for free last year as well, but I was in the habit of paying a minimal amount for it and it didn't occur to me.

Most Bogleheads won't qualify for free file, but those who do should at least consider it.

https://www.irs.gov/uac/free-file-do-yo ... s-for-free

Felt great to be able to use it at no charge after they tried to jack the price up on me so much. I had even sent them a nasty email about it!

*3!4!/5!

Post by *3!4!/5! » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:43 pm

Pajamas wrote:My income was actually low enough this year that I am able to use TaxAct for federal and state at no charge by going through the IRS website. Imports previous years' data and everything. Probably could have used it for free last year as well, but I was in the habit of paying a minimal amount for it and it didn't occur to me.

Most Bogleheads won't qualify for free file, but those who do should at least consider it.

Do you get the downloadable version, or only online. If online only, is it still similar to use, i.e. can you directly enter most numbers in the forms?

Any hidden/extra charges (e.g. charging to efile)?

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:57 pm

*3!4!/5! wrote:
Pajamas wrote:My income was actually low enough this year that I am able to use TaxAct for federal and state at no charge by going through the IRS website. Imports previous years' data and everything. Probably could have used it for free last year as well, but I was in the habit of paying a minimal amount for it and it didn't occur to me.

Do you get the downloadable version, or only online. If online only, is it still similar to use, i.e. can you directly enter most numbers in the forms?

It is online only, but I have always used online. The only difference that I can see between the version I paid for last year and this version is that it is free. Entering information and everything else seems to work the same way. You can enter numbers on the forms such as 1099s or go through the Q&A, your choice. No charges for e-filing, federal or state, but that might depend on the state because New York does not allow an additional charge for e-filing.

*3!4!/5!

Post by *3!4!/5! » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:01 pm

Pajamas wrote:
*3!4!/5! wrote:

It is online only, but I have always used online. The only difference that I can see between the version I paid for last year and this version is that it is free. Entering information and everything else seems to work the same way. You can enter numbers on the forms such as 1099s or go through the Q&A, your choice. No charges for e-filing, federal or state, but that might depend on the state because New York does not allow an additional charge for e-filing.
Thanks. I might try this next year (already done for this year).

I have liked the download version, the cheap price, and getting it in October to start running, but if some of those things are disappearing, I might just go for a free version.