Las Vegas Areas and Real Estate

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
anonsdca

Las Vegas Areas and Real Estate

Post by anonsdca » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:59 pm

Hey All Good Folks,

We are looking to buy a home in the Las Vegas area. Why Vegas? Three reasons;

1) lower cost of living area than where we are now
2) large Ethnic population (which my wife is part of)
3) relatively easy city to get around

I have been to LV many times (over 100 times probably) but just as a visitor.

This place will serve as a "USA base home" for an expat family retiring in Southeast Asia. There will always be one or two folks living there (relatives-here now). We would need a space there probably a month every year. Maybe. I hope to limit my trips to the USA to every two years, but in the beginning I may need to be here each year for some reason.

I have engaged a LV RE agent and a LV lender recently. I did a lot of research and talked to many agents and lenders in the area so I feel good about my team at the moment. We are starting to go into action.

Question for LV BH's - What areas In LV are best for this type of home? Remember, I am not trying to buy a dream home here. However, I would like a nice place, in a safe area, close to a lot of amenities and near some public transit (if that exists in LV). I will have mature (50+) and college aged folks living in this home for the most part.

Would appreciate any LV expertise, expat expertise and general expertise.

BruDude

Re: Las Vegas Areas and Real Estate

Post by BruDude » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:32 am

Summerlin and Henderson. Northwest has some nice houses, but far from the strip. IMO, Summerlin is the most desirable area. Zip codes 89138, 89135, 89144, 89128.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:05 am

Townhouse in Henderson?

heyyou

Post by heyyou » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:37 am

Not a Las Vegas resident, but spent twenty years in Phoenix.

Choose a residence within walking distance to a large grocery store that has a bank branch in it. That would be more comfortable for newcomers than having to drive or taxi to and from an unfamiliar area. Men can get haircuts at a women's beauty shop near the grocery store. Very early morning and late night is when it is less hot in Vegas for pedestrians.

I would choose on the same side of Vegas as the airport, so you do not have to travel crosstown, through rush hour traffic in the two hours before an evening flight. A townhouse with community yard maintenance and community swimming pool would be better for an absentee owner than you hiring those workers.

anonsdca

Post by anonsdca » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:08 pm

BruDude wrote:Summerlin and Henderson. Northwest has some nice houses, but far from the strip. IMO, Summerlin is the most desirable area. Zip codes 89138, 89135, 89144, 89128.
Great info, I will search those specific Zip codes.

anonsdca

Post by anonsdca » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:12 pm

heyyou wrote:Not a Las Vegas resident, but spent twenty years in Phoenix.

Choose a residence within walking distance to a large grocery store that has a bank branch in it. That would be more comfortable for newcomers than having to drive or taxi to and from an unfamiliar area. Men can get haircuts at a women's beauty shop near the grocery store. Very early morning and late night is when it is less hot in Vegas for pedestrians.

I would choose on the same side of Vegas as the airport, so you do not have to travel crosstown, through rush hour traffic in the two hours before an evening flight. A townhouse with community yard maintenance and community swimming pool would be better for an absentee owner than you hiring those workers.
Yes, I have thought about being near some establishments within walking distance and near some sort of bus line. I am searching SFR and Townhomes but trying to keep HOA to a minimum. I realize that if I want a community pool and landscaping I will have HOA. Be great to find a modest SFR with small yard so upkeep is minimal but our people do love to garden and plant stuff.

HardHitter

Post by HardHitter » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:15 pm

What is the anticipated rent out there? $300k investment for how much rent/mo?

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:20 pm

Have you considered a condo instead of a single family home or townhouse? Seems like that would be much easier to deal with when you are not actually there yourself.

ragabnh

Post by ragabnh » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:41 am

Ok, I live in Las Vegas Metropolitan area (20 years), I would definitely say Henderson and to be more specific Anthem and Seven Hills area, zip codes 89052 and 89044. It is closer to the airport (25 minutes) and Las Vegas Strip (25 minutes) and on the same side of town. Very safe and lots of easy access to groceries shopping and fine dining. In your case definitely a town home or a condo is recommended. You could get 3 bedroom condo with a detached garage and a carport for in a desired area for around $170,000. You might consider Green Valley also zip code 89074 which is also a desirable and less expensive area in Henderson. Summerlin is nice but the commute is terrible and it is far.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:37 pm

BruDude wrote:Summerlin and Henderson. Northwest has some nice houses, but far from the strip. IMO, Summerlin is the most desirable area. Zip codes 89138, 89135, 89144, 89128.
Ditto on Summerlin. Townhouse secure community development, gated, reasonable HOA fees. Enclosed garage if you can get it. So when you are not there it will be secure and you will not have to worry. It is upscale and tasteful in general with no back "pockets" and appreciative property value is good so resale will be easier if you need to.

Henderson is cheaper but has nice and not quite so nice areas. Again. Look for gated secure townhouse development with enclosed garage with garage door so your car is secure while you are away. Reasonable HOA fees.

Asian presence in LV is wonderful with great asian, hawaiian, and other ethnic foods and cultural spots. Hawaii, San Francisco, Seattle, and others places are also "comfy" that way but pricy. Cultural presence is important to many.

four7s

Post by four7s » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:13 pm

We've lived in Henderson (Zip 89052) for 15 years and have often commented that while we like Summerlin we are very happy to have purchased in the Anthem area. The commute to the airport or the Strip is a snap and the Henderson/Anthem area wins out in every category when comparing it to Summerlin. You won't go wrong in either area but Henderson gets our vote.

alexost

Post by alexost » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:21 pm

Following. There is a decent chance I will be transferring to Vegas with my company in the near future. I'll be working at the airport and from what I can tell Green Valley and Henderson seem like the best for buying/living and commuting to the airport.

patriciamgr2

Post by patriciamgr2 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:59 am

IMO, Summerlin is nicer, but Henderson is MUCH more convenient for the airport. I second the suggestion to stay close to the Anthem area in Henderson. Some of Anthem is age-restricted, which may not be available to you given your college-aged residents.

Don't count on public transportation or taxi service off-Strip in LV. Check Uber availability & I second another poster's suggestion that you try to find a place that's within walking distance (measured by summer's 110+ temp's) to groceries & banking. When I lived in Summerlin, there were private shuttles/vans that did airport runs.

A condo or townhome in a gated community makes more sense, but HOA's may frown on so many "residents" in a single unit. Be sure your realtor checks that for you. At a minimum, it will be tough to get entry cards for on-site pools, gyms, etc. for multiple people. Since the Airbnb revolution, some complexes have cracked down on guest passes.

Final note: with Harry Reid's retirement & Republican control of Washington, many people expect Yucca Mountain Waste Site to reopen. That's about 90 miles from LV. I have no crystal ball about whether that might impact housing prices adversely--although that is always mentioned by opponents [waste allegedly would be trucked over LV's always exciting expressways].

Good Luck